MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Electro-Harmonix 22500 Two track Looper
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Electro-Harmonix 22500 Two track Looper
Paranormal Patroler

loop pedal
    two stereo loops
    up to 100 individual loops
    recording time: up to 13 hours
    verse/chorus switch
    microphone input
    reverse and octave (up/down) functions
    built-in rhythms + rhythm guide
    adjustable gain
    USB port
    included: 9.6V DC 220mA adapter, 8GB SDHC card

Contrary to what I've read on other forums this baby doesn't seem to sport a MIDI clock input. It's funny how guitarists can't tell a MIDI cable from a power jack hihi Seeing as this is yet another looper my opinion is that the feature set reinforces my previous statements (here and elsewhere): it's like companies avoid making a be-all-end-all looper in order to be able to sell the next model. Obviously it's not easy to cater to everybody, but sometimes what is lacking is way too obvious: I still have high hopes that the tap tempo input (labeled FC on the left) will double as a clock input as EHX usually caters to synth needs, but the lack of MIDI input is dumbfounding, if not a bit sly (re: "Get the 45000" )

I wonder what those switches on the back do hmmm.....

Read more about this here here here and here
Paranormal Patroler
Once again, Muff prevails SlayerBadger! . Nobody has posted this yet (although I did find the pdf from one of the links above) !

So this baby has no external clocking features at all. It's a direct competitor to the DittoX2 pedals, Ditto, etc. Not a bad method for EHX to retain their 45000 sales. Someone needs to hack the Tap button into a clock input jack w00t
moogboy
With a tempo-sync jack mod I'll take this in a heartbeat over the DL4's I've been using.
oscillateur
Yeah, I don't care about MIDI clock but if the clock input can talk with my modular I'll probably get one...
krv
I wish I didn't buy a Ditto II
GGW
"Adjustable feedback amount"
That looks promising. Will it then function as a very long delay with feedback adjustment on the fly? Are the audio specs known?
Paranormal Patroler
Feedback will be most likely be like the fadeout of the 2880 and 45000.
taylor12k
this looks very promising... as long as those two loops can be a totally different length from each other and not be sync'd in any way to each other...

seems like it, with the "Free running" modes

undo is nice, too

looking forward to this
analogue01
Very interested in this. A small clock sync'd looper is one of my longest gear grails. Hope the tap tempo input will work. Wonder what trigger mode is.

Also, found a picture of the back:
jc
I'm assuming the two Loop knobs (A & B) can be used to adjust the volume of each loop, like on the 45000? I have been asking dealers about when this is going to be out and no one knows, soon I hope.
plord
Looks like a Pigtronix Infinity with a different set of compromises. I'll keep the Infinity.
Crowyote
Loved my 45000, but the two I owned had a few bugs: weird volume drops and sometimes sounding a bit out of tune on the loops.

I hope this drops at Summer NAMM, and is a significant improvement on it's big daddy.
DonaldCrunk
some EH person asked on their forum if the capability for sync via clock input was desirable for this looper. I actually registered an account there to say "Yes! Fuck Yes! It Is!" but by the time my membership was approved i forgot to post hihi.

hopefully they did incorporate some interesting things with the tap tempo, if so then this could be a great looping solution for modular. very glad to see the independent loop lengths, a first for EH if i'm not mistaken. That alone is the primary reason i've never cared for their range of mega-loopers.
oscillateur
DonaldCrunk wrote:
some EH person asked on their forum if the capability for sync via clock input was desirable for this looper. I actually registered an account there to say "Yes! Fuck Yes! It Is!" but by the time my membership was approved i forgot to post hihi.

hopefully they did incorporate some interesting things with the tap tempo, if so then this could be a great looping solution for modular. very glad to see the independent loop lengths, a first for EH if i'm not mistaken. That alone is the primary reason i've never cared for their range of mega-loopers.

Well, for me it's simple : if it can sync via clock input then I want to buy it, otherwise I don't smile.
GilgaFrank
Annoying. I've got so many effects units that can read MIDI clock and I really wouldn't mind a looper that does the same. The Boss RC200 puts out MIDI clock but can't sync to external clock, even though its predecessor the RC50 could. The Boss GP10 completely ignores clock and demands you set tempo for each patch. And now we have another looper that won't sync to anything. Thanks EH, you're really setting an example.
pricklyrobot
I think a second-hand EHX 2880 is still the best thing going in affordable-ish syncable loopers, if you don't need something super compact.
airfrankenstein
pricklyrobot wrote:
I think a second-hand EHX 2880 is still the best thing going in affordable-ish syncable loopers, if you don't need something super compact.

Quite agree! SlayerBadger!
cloudscapes
Got one a few weeks ago. Mini-review

Stuff I like so far:

-Two loops, can be independent lengths for out-of-phase stuff. or not
-That non-pitch-shift time-stretching! So good!
-Overdub with feedback amount. This was a requirement for me though, wouldn't have bought it had it not been there.
-Octave up/down and reverse is neat for drones/ambient. An extra layer for the out-of-phase dual loop stuff.
-Better headroom and less noisy than my old 2880. Even if it is still 16bit, they must have some DSP magic in there.

Stuff I don't like:

-The drum-machine features take up too much pedal real-estate. A whole button and two whole modes on the mode dial. Could have put the button in the mode dial instead, and used the space for a dedicated overdub/feedback knob or something. Dunno, maybe I'll find a use for this, but probably not.
-SD card sticks out way too much from the back. Pedals are meant to be kicked around. Last thing I want is a wobbly cheap piece of plastic sticking out a whole centimeter with all my crucial sounds on it. Should have been recessed into it more.
-Graphic design is a bit meh. I get what they were going for, 80s retro space-car dashboard thing. But it feels quickly slapped together, and the LED display doesn't even go with it."eh... just cut a square hole in the middle of the design here".
-LED display too big, especially because I feel most of the information you see on it is really only relevant when you're bending down to twist dials and stuff. But when you're just using your feet on the footswitches, the display doesn't really show useful stuff.

The negatives are mainly nitpicks, though. The SD card is the only thing that really bothers me.

I do also have a 2880, which is better in certain ways. but I think the 22500 is much better in others. The fact that you can de-sync the two loops (via octave, or different lengths) is such a huge deal for me. You can't do that with the 2880.
oscillateur
Can you easily get one loop being n times the length of the other one ? n being an integer, obviously smile.

And is there a way to sync it to incoming triggers without having to go through MIDI ?
smetak
Yeah, seems ok, especially knowing that the channels are independent from one another. I think the rhythm thing is quite stupid - a good many loopers have this feature, which I find a waste of precious pedal space.

Yet, from the reviews and comments, this is still light years away from this:
http://www.boomerangmusic.com/E156.shtml - even if you can't reacord ten thousand hours of samples, nothing beats a Boomerang!

Love the thing - my only problem is the size (though I've attempted to fit all my favorite pedals into a case, at the end, couldn't lift the damn thing......) When travelling, I am forced to substitute it for two simple Dittos, which for the price (paid used a bit over $100 for a pair), are quite nice.

But the Boomerang remains the ultimate looper for guitar - I've tried a good deal of loopers and nothing works like this wonder from Texas.
nedavine
Having feedback is a really nice feature. That's what makes the ableton looper really useful. Those drums though, about as useful as a kick in the teeth.
branbolio
i almost sold my 45000 so fast when i saw this one coming out, but i need that midi clock to play with other gear... and i use the 45000 as an actual 4 track recorder so those extra track are worth the extra size for me
oscillateur
If anyone here has a 22500, can you set the feedback amount per channel ?

I read the manual and it looks as if this value is shared between the two loops, which would not make any sense...

Edit : ok, if I'm not mistaken feedback is only active for a loop when it is recording. I'd prefer if it was always active. So to have one loop fading while the other is still playing you'd need to set this loop to overdub with a feedback < 100 (and probably set the input gain to 0). You can't do something on the other loop at the same time then I guess.
darmklacht@gmail.com
very frustrating

I just can't belive this thing won't sync!!!!!!!!

Has anyone opened one up? are there mod points for midi out? or is it just korg thats so generous?
airfrankenstein
Yes, quite a shame really, midi would make this compatible with the 45000 and 2880.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2