MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sound of Shadows Expansion Module
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Sound of Shadows Expansion Module
Soy Sos
As far as the expansion goes, I say really take your time. The additions should take full advantage on any exploitable quirks in the circuit to turn an already very cool delay into something truly otherworldly. I love the idea of bends or happy mistake crossed wires that do something this thing was never meant to do. I had some great stuff going with the Choices controlling delay time and frequency of a Polivoks in the feedback look and a Pressure Points running feedback. Good shit.
dude
SoS is amazing with any input signals be them lfo slow or audio rate. it does crazy shit in audio territory but it works wonders. i also just figured out how to make it flange REALLY nice (inspired by Kent of course). as always, attenuators are our friends in regards to the incoming modulation of the SoS. definitely jacks for cv and attenuation for them!
dude
i am still jazzed about the SoS!
neandrewthal
dude wrote:
SoS is amazing with any input signals be them lfo slow or audio rate. it does crazy shit in audio territory but it works wonders. i also just figured out how to make it flange REALLY nice (inspired by Kent of course). as always, attenuators are our friends in regards to the incoming modulation of the SoS. definitely jacks for cv and attenuation for them!

Vids or it never happened hyper
Kent
Flight,

If you are already considering a VC-Mix control then that takes care of items # 1 & 2 on my list. I wasn't sure if it was possible, given the block diagram, so I was giving an overly long explanation of a kludge that could work.

If there were some way to have a Wet/Dry control on the Insert point, that would be swell.
dude
i shoot vids like monkey bake birthday cake
Soy Sos
gde wrote:
how does the clock respond to audiorate control voltages?

Also just checked that out. An ATTENUATED audio rate signal in to rate does some nice almost ring-mod like effects on the delay. Too much signal and it goes into very nasty and loud noise.
VanEck
Quote:
Quote:
•Any circuit bends on the PT chip? Perhaps some momentary push-buttons or SPST (or other) switches if fun is to be had here.

Good idea. There are a few bend points on there that I found. I made a test rig that brings all the connections out for easier testing and I often end up playing with the exposed traces.

This definitely has my interest! Some "sound of thunder" type of circuit bending switches on the expansion would be rad... what kind of bends have you found so far Flight?
johnnymad
i agree. some circuit bends would be cool, even if they just do something simple like change the color of the the sound.
flight
Soy Sos wrote:
As far as the expansion goes, I say really take your time. The additions should take full advantage on any exploitable quirks in the circuit to turn an already very cool delay into something truly otherworldly. I love the idea of bends or happy mistake crossed wires that do something this thing was never meant to do. I had some great stuff going with the Choices controlling delay time and frequency of a Polivoks in the feedback look and a Pressure Points running feedback. Good shit.

I will (take my time), don't worry. I'm actually thinking of doing two expansions: the first will just have the Rate LED and attenuated CV inputs, and be about 6-8hp. Now that it looks like there will be enough for it, the other will have the "exotic" functions and probably be 8-10hp.
Kent wrote:

Flight,
If you are already considering a VC-Mix control then that takes care of items # 1 & 2 on my list. I wasn't sure if it was possible, given the block diagram, so I was giving an overly long explanation of a kludge that could work.
*Phew* OK, cool.
Quote:
If there were some way to have a Wet/Dry control on the Insert point, that would be swell.
Probably not - the Insert is hard-wired - but what other signal would you mix in there? Any combination I can think of is really the job of a mixer. I'm trying to avoid duplicating common existing modules.
VanEck wrote:
... what kind of bends have you found so far Flight?

Mostly just rate and feedback weirdness so far. I haven't actually tried finding any, just happenstance.
Soy Sos
Here's that audio rate CV. Damn I'm having fun with this one!
http://soundcloud.com/soy-sos-sweet-sounds/sliding-scale
Kent
Kent wrote:

He Who Lurks In Shadows wrote:
Probably not - the Insert is hard-wired - but what other signal would you mix in there? Any combination I can think of is really the job of a mixer. I'm trying to avoid duplicating common existing modules.

This would be so that the inserted effect could be faded into the insert point. Imagine if you could fade in a Moog MuRF or a Phaser onto the delay repeats. That's what I'm getting at.
flight
Kent wrote:
This would be so that the inserted effect could be faded into the insert point. Imagine if you could fade in a Moog MuRF or a Phaser onto the delay repeats. That's what I'm getting at.

First, gotta say, I love the new name. It fits! I do love to lurk.

Could you describe that signal-chain-wise? I'm having a hard time with it. My guess:
Signal into input --> Delay out to effect --> effect output to Insert.
So are you saying you want to crossfade from the "plain" delay out signal to the "effected" delay signal?

I should probably make a clearer block diagram before we continue... the existing one is very vague for this kind of thing - we need a schematic.
HeWhoWantsJeans
flight wrote:

I will (take my time), don't worry. I'm actually thinking of doing two expansions: the first will just have the Rate LED and attenuated CV inputs, and be about 6-8hp. Now that it looks like there will be enough for it, the other will have the "exotic" functions and probably be 8-10hp.

Can I pre-order one of each?
thumbs up
flight
HeWhoWantsJeans wrote:
...Can I pre-order one of each?
thumbs up

Sure! As soon as I have an idea on cost. wink

And the "flowmatic" (attachment):
johnnymad
could one of the expansion modules have the word "turbo" in the name? i just really like the word turbo.
computer controlled
TURBO

neandrewthal
flight wrote:
computer controlled wrote:
If it was intended for Karaoke, can it do Freebird??? seriously, i just don't get it

huh?

lol

dude wrote:
i shoot vids like monkey bake birthday cake

huh?
Soy Sos
OK...back on task...haha. lol
Clever people, please let us know what mystical incantations can be derived from Flights "flowmatic". I know little of these matters.
HeWhoWantsJeans
*boing boing*.

This idea needs a bit of explanation:

The other day Exuviae brought over his SoS and wanted to compare his to mine. With the same source material going to both and with the knobs set the same, we both cranked down our Rate knobs to see how "pukey" it could get.

Mine would get ugly (in a good way, mind you) around 8 o'clock, and if the rate was increased, it'd stutter back to life in a glorious way.

His would never get that dirty. The delay times would increase, sure - but the material wouldn't get ugly (or pukey, really).

We might have a recording of this (maybe, Audacity took a dump on me) but this brings up a question - is there any way to 'tailor' the response of the Rate knob? I glanced at the PCB when moving things around in my rack, and I didn't see any trim pots to adjust.

Any idea regarding the different responses, 'Flight? Maybe this is something that could be an end-user mod or maybe there is something to possibly exploit for the expansion.

Speaking of which, any ideas? screaming goo yo
HeWhoWantsJeans
I don't know how the hell I quoted myself.

I blame the Interweb, sorry.
scozbor
OK I'm about to order the barebones.

Can I assume the barebones works with future expansions in the same way as the pre-assembled module??

I'm thinking to wait for the expansions, then stuff the module + expansions behind one face plate. thumbs up
money bags
Quote:
OK I'm about to order the barebones.

Can I assume the barebones works with future expansions in the same way as the pre-assembled module??

I'm thinking to wait for the expansions, then stuff the module + expansions behind one face plate.

im in the same boat Soapbox (imagine the soap is a boat)
scozbor
Boat

there's an emoticon for everything
felixer
i understand that one of the things that can be changed is the filters (pre and post delay). that might be useful ....
also boosting the output to put it back in the 'normal modular' +/-5v range would be good.
about reverse delay: the idea is that the sound comes out in the reverse order then that it went in. like reversing the tape: epat eht gnisrever (yes i'm old enough to have done that as it was the only way to get that effect 20 years ago hihi ). great sound but impossible with this chip, i'm afraid.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 2 of 4