MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sound of Shadows Expansion Module
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Sound of Shadows Expansion Module
flight
HeWhoWantsJeans wrote:
*boing boing*.

This idea needs a bit of explanation:

The other day Exuviae brought over his SoS and wanted to compare his to mine. With the same source material going to both and with the knobs set the same, we both cranked down our Rate knobs to see how "pukey" it could get.

Mine would get ugly (in a good way, mind you) around 8 o'clock, and if the rate was increased, it'd stutter back to life in a glorious way.

His would never get that dirty. The delay times would increase, sure - but the material wouldn't get ugly (or pukey, really).

We might have a recording of this (maybe, Audacity took a dump on me) but this brings up a question - is there any way to 'tailor' the response of the Rate knob? I glanced at the PCB when moving things around in my rack, and I didn't see any trim pots to adjust.

Any idea regarding the different responses, 'Flight? Maybe this is something that could be an end-user mod or maybe there is something to possibly exploit for the expansion.

Speaking of which, any ideas? screaming goo yo

Wow, apologies for letting this go for so long!
Yes, the Rate preset can be tailored; you can even do it from the header connectors on the rear: The RTCV1 pin goes to the same summing node as the Rate CV jack and the Rate pot, it just requires a 100k resistor in series with any voltage. You could connect a trimpot (5k or greater) with one leg to the V+ pin, the other leg to a GND pin (or even to the V- pin if it really needs some adjusting), and the wiper to the 100k resistor to the RTCV1 pin and adjust to the desired behavior/crap out point.

Regarding Exuviae's SoS, what supply voltage is his running on? Part of the testing for every SoS is that it should get glitchy & crap out around 8:30-9:00.
Exuviae
Hello-

I can test my SOS again to see where the rate range is actually at. There was a post here a while back and some words from Kevin that basically stated I should have the Insert knob cranked when not using the Insert jack, and then adjust feedback to taste. I seem to have gotten great results this way...but ...I don't think mine gets all that glitchy still going below 9:00

I do, however, seem to notice occasional hum based on higher feedback settings. This could be the ModularWorld case I use as others have said they also get hum sometimes.

Let me tinker some more and post results in the next day or so.

Brooks
felixer
guys, remember that the value of pots can differ by 25%. even from the same manufacturer/batch. that is why the stereo pots for really good hifi equiment are so expensive: to ensure an equal response for left/right isn't easy. and unfortunalty doesn't come cheap ....
nice thinking though that you can do some trimming on the back. might even be possible to diy/offer an expansion option with an extra-high quality stereo pot to ensure that two sos wil 'track' for stereo use? although i like chaos and would probably even avoid any syncronicity 8_)
Gribs
I just picked up a SOS and would buy an expansion for sure. The attenuators will be quite welcome.
dude
any word on the expansion?
blungo2
Sorry, to be lazy and not read through the whole thread, but what all will the expansion do?

Hey that was my 1k post! 8_)
dude
any word on the expansion release?
vav
poke
flight
Quote:
poke

Shit, sorry.
No word yet. I'm waiting on an outside party to finish work on the µC to get the damn LED to blink in time with the delay - it's a pain in the butt.
levka
Any developments on the SoS expander(s) ?
HeWhoWantsJeans
levka wrote:

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN BUMPED... no.

RESURRECTED.

Any news, Flight?
levka
Re-bump!

No news on this whatsoever?

HeWhoWantsJeans wrote:
levka wrote:

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN BUMPED... no.

RESURRECTED.

Any news, Flight?
flight
Awright! Awright! I hear yah! razz
I'se been busy filling dealer orders and haven't had any time to work on the SoS expansion yet. It will be done - and before summer - but I just can't say when yet, sorry. seriously, i just don't get it
levka
thumbs up
levka
Summer's almost here ... hyper

flight wrote:
Awright! Awright! I hear yah! razz
I'se been busy filling dealer orders and haven't had any time to work on the SoS expansion yet. It will be done - and before summer - but I just can't say when yet, sorry. seriously, i just don't get it
Kakihara
aaaaaaaaa.....
levka
pre-autumn bump hihi
flight
oops Sorry about the wait here all.
The SoS Expansion is still on the list, don't worry. I decided to get some other issues figured out first: bad jacks, noisy pots, shitty VCA performance, and so on. It looks like everything's almost under control, so I hope to get back to work on this by Fall.
levka
Thanks for the update, highly appreciated

Looking really forward to this module.
z3r01
Bumpity-bump.

Hope the expansion is nearing release. thumbs up
z3r01
Just wondering, are there any updates on the expansion module for the SoS? Mr. Green
subterryanean
Something that I would imagine could be done with the PT chip is make the sound "loop." With a switch/trigger, whatever is in the buffer just gets stuck in there, playing over and over, without going into oscillation. That way you could send it random gates and the repeats would stutter.
ronaldroy
Did this ever happen?
dude
no i don't think it ever happened.
thundermouse
i'm gonna write a letter to Santa for this. I know it's early, but we've been really good. My sister's boyfriend's cousin's best friend is an intern at the North Pole.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 3 of 4