MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Working on fixing the 'session logged out' issue - please log out and log back in as there is a new cookie name. It MAY be worse for a while, sorry. We'll see... I'm working on it. Thanks

Presenting: Crowminius
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 36, 37, 38  Next [all]
Author Presenting: Crowminius

Microscopial

Oh yes please indeed

oldcrow

There are a few extra costs to consider, such as the case, a wall transformer (unless folks are like me and have a couple hundred of them) and knobs. I was able to effectively get mine built for $300 but I ordered enough parts to build five which brought the average down a bit. Still, with shipping costs and the hardware mentioned above factored in, I see a single-unit cost being US$350 max. complete as shown above. My firmware will be free with sources on github once I am done with the initial version. --Crow

colorbars wrote:
$190 for parts, $100 for pcb... A minimoog for under $300 we're not worthy

Shoggoth

Wow. Sounds amazing and cost is right.

amnesia

This looks great. Without going through all the pages here, will there be a faceplate?

oldcrow

I might try to make something, but it is not high on my list at the moment. When I have final specs on the rev1.1 board I will provide a part placement file for the board-mounted control positions.

I use Alpha 9mm pots at the moment. To allow for a panel I'd need to use a longer pot, such as http://media.digikey.com/photos/Panasonic%20Photos/EVUF%20NO%20BUSHING %20SERIES.jpg

The main issue at the moment is getting Mouser or another vendor to quote me the Alpha SR2513-type bottom-mount rotary switches, which have the switch shaft coming up through a hole in the PC board. I've already provisioned for this in the artwork, I just need to get a buy in on the switches. --Crow

Other folks might want to make a larger breakout control panel and use pin headers for most of the board control positions. Go for it. SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

--Crow
/**/

amnesia wrote:
This looks great. Without going through all the pages here, will there be a faceplate?

Dude163

Thanks for the info OC!

so you could use a pot on a separate surface and just use wires to connect to the PCB? Like if I make a case for it I meant

sounds amazing

jheronymo

woah woah massive, i'm so sold! keep up posted!

oldcrow

Yes, mount pots and switches to a panel and 3-pin friction-lock headers, 2mm for the small switches, 2.5mm for the pots and manual wiring for the rotary switches. --Crow

Dude163 wrote:
Thanks for the info OC!

so you could use a pot on a separate surface and just use wires to connect to the PCB? Like if I make a case for it I meant

sounds amazing

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

I just listened to the demo. My god, that thing sounds amazing! I think I want one.

oldcrow

Listening to my 1977 Star Wars Album by the "Electric Moog Orchestra" I've decided to cram one more thing onto this board. An S/H mode for modulation source. LF398-type as I did with my MonoPoly years ago.

http://www.oldcrows.net/~oldcrow/synth/korg/monopoly/shmod.html

On Crowminius a new switch crammed in between the OSC2 and OSC3 frequency interval pots will select red/pink noise (original) or clocked red/pink held samples to the noise side of the mod mix pot.

I blame this track from my album specifically. SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVaoeX3ZDMw

Proofing of all my revisions to correct minor mistakes tomorrow, then I submit files for manufacture. --Crow

/**/

koobraelc

SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

grenert

Amazing work, and tremendous generosity in making this project so ready to go (no part-sourcing troubles!).

This is a DIY dream!
Champagne

wavydave

I don't know if I should get one anymore since I just found a Minimoog at an estate sale a couple of weeks ago for $35. Too bad that it was broken because it only played one note at a time. nanners

April fools.

revtor

Damn Wavydave, I was about to shit my pants….

those deals are still out there Im sure!

~Steve

oldcrow

April Fool or not, that poor mini needs some serious TLC. waah

wavydave wrote:
I don't know if I should get one anymore since I just found a Minimoog at an estate sale a couple of weeks ago for $35. Too bad that it was broken because it only played one note at a time. nanners

April fools.

oldcrow

Reviewing rotary switches, I will caution now that I have sized the six switch positions for a Alpha SR2512F-series 2-pole, 6-position PCB mount part. I notice a number of these offered for sale on ebay and aliexpress that have the common pole pins on a different angle offset than the part number I am specifying. The full part number I use is SR2512F-0206-19R0B-E9-N-W.

While I expect the switches from China online retailers work fine, their mechanical fit might be a minor issue as the lobes of the switch would orient at a different angle than expected, meaning some resistors may need to mount on the board's underside to avoid the switch body.

By the way, C&K switches will not fit. Those use a 22.2mm dia. contact pin outer ring and a 7.7mm wiper pin inner ring. Alpha switches use a 20mm outer ring and an 11mm inner ring. Of course, off-board panel builders can use whatever they want. SlayerBadger!

FYI,

Crow
/**/

sk23

Thank you for the awesome project!

I'm really interested in it, can't wait as when will be available for purchase!

radar

can't wait !

shimoda

Looking forward to being able to order this one!

oldcrow

Another small cost detail, I did not include the price of the LCD. The LCD is optional but if used will allow some MIDI front end settings to be changed/displayed. I use this one: https://www.adafruit.com/product/772

I've not tried the supercheap ones from places like aliexpress yet, but they *should* work. The only caveat is if their board size is close to what I provisioned for on the Crowminius MIDI corner area. --Crow

/**/

Captain Sternn

Sounds awesome, definitely interested! applause

oldcrow

OK, for the initial board batch I will have 25 bare boards available. These are rev1.1 incorporating all the minor corrections I've made to rev1.0. For this first batch only I am offering the board at 20% off the $100 price for a final price of $80 (plus any applicable taxes) plus shipping. These boards are expected to arrive on 4/17/15 but I have opened up a pre-order for them on my shopify site. http://www.cs80.com/crowminius

--Crow
/**/

oldcrow

Note: this offer is only being posted here to Muff's. It might make it to other sites indirectly, but Wigglers get first notice. SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

oldcrow wrote:
OK, for the initial board batch I will have 25 bare boards available. These are rev1.1 incorporating all the minor corrections I've made to rev1.0. For this first batch only I am offering the board at 20% off the $100 price for a final price of $80 (plus any applicable taxes) plus shipping. These boards are expected to arrive on 4/17/15 but I have opened up a pre-order for them on my shopify site. http://www.cs80.com/crowminius

--Crow
/**/

phutureboy

My ! are you not some kind of living machine ? hihi
Also can't wait to hear some good news about the crOwBX in Euro....

medbot

Hi Crow, do the bare boards come with the ATMEGA328P chip that's needed for MIDI? Sorry if that's a silly question, but I wasn't sure if there needed to be something from you with a custom firmware flashed on it or if I can just get one from Mouser.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 36, 37, 38  Next [all]
Page 3 of 38