Controlling Deerhorn Oscillators with no Deerhorn?

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

thresholdpeople
Veteran Wiggler

Controlling Deerhorn Oscillators with no Deerhorn?

Post by thresholdpeople » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:21 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a Deerhorn unit, it is the older style, 3x Deerhorns, no audio inputs.

I suppose it would have to be a mod, but is there a way to bypass the Deerhorn antennae with external CV?

What do the audio inputs do on PB Deerhorns? Do they bypass the oscillators, and the horns control the amplitude of the signal?

Thanks!

Dirty_Bill
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Controlling Deerhorn Oscillators with no Deerhorn?

Post by Dirty_Bill » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:24 pm

thresholdpeople wrote:Hi everyone,

I have a Deerhorn unit, it is the older style, 3x Deerhorns, no audio inputs.

I suppose it would have to be a mod, but is there a way to bypass the Deerhorn antennae with external CV?

What do the audio inputs do on PB Deerhorns? Do they bypass the oscillators, and the horns control the amplitude of the signal?

Thanks!
Do you mean a Deerhorn organ? The Audio Ins run an external signal through the Dearhorn-controled VCAs...

If you have the same PCB, it's probably possible to add the Ins, but non-Trivial...

thresholdpeople
Veteran Wiggler

Post by thresholdpeople » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:36 pm

Yes, I have the Deerhorn organ, but it is the older version with no audio inputs.

I've had to open it a couple of times to be able to reach the calibration capacitors easily.

It defeats the entire point of the instrument to bypass the deerhorns, but I've got a ribbon controller, and I think it'd be interested to try controlling the oscillators that way as well.

Sorry, thinking out loud a bit... I'd need a way to trigger the VCAs using the ribbon..

This is all most likely unnecessary. :hihi:

I just recently got the ribbon controller and have been using it parallel to the deerhorn, and just started using it to modulate the oscillators. It would/may be nice to be able to leave the VCAs open to be able to modulate the oscillators..

wednesdayayay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wednesdayayay » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:59 pm

don't blame me if something breaks

I have had much success turning the tuning knob for the deerhorn all the way up and inserting a signal like the rollz orange output into the orange "output" of the deerhorn this plays the two pitches/channels like a sequencer almost
sh is the sound of data
bobo is the gesture

PB

thresholdpeople
Veteran Wiggler

Post by thresholdpeople » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:12 pm

I won't blame you! (Have you broken anything yet? :hihi:)

Thanks for the tip! I forgot about the calibration pot -- that tends to keep one VCA or other open consistently.

The sequencing sounds very interesting! I'm a little nervous to send a non-CL signal output to the Deerhorn's output.. I'll have to remember this one day when I get my hands on a PB.

wednesdayayay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wednesdayayay » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:06 pm

what kind of ribbon controller? the meng qi one should be fine 0-9 volts should be ok too

I just hooked up the ribbon I bought (to the MWRS of the PB (no clock so just a static +9v signal) and the ground of the CQ/PB) it works well enough to trigger the deerhorn Ill upload a short video
sh is the sound of data
bobo is the gesture

PB

thresholdpeople
Veteran Wiggler

Post by thresholdpeople » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:13 pm

Yup, it's the Meng Qi CL Expander ribbon.

I'd love to check out the video when you get a chance to make it.

I'm more worried about other gear not being too happy with output to output, even though the Deerhorn can take it.

wednesdayayay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wednesdayayay » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:27 am

you could send the output of the ribbon pitch to the cv splitter (there are 2 one input to 2 output cv splitters that are great with the cocoquantus' triangle outputs or originally for the avdogs orange output) so that there is diode protection between the deerhorn and pitch output of the expander

MQ may have allowed for some kind of protection in his circuit already maybe ask him as well

I originally had MQ make the expander I would really like another one sometime soon

[video][/video]

[video][/video]
sh is the sound of data
bobo is the gesture

PB

thresholdpeople
Veteran Wiggler

Post by thresholdpeople » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:04 pm

Wow. This adds a whole new layer to the Deerhorns!

Thanks for the videos Wednesdayayay!

ookrsia
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ookrsia » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:41 pm

wednesdayayay wrote:
Thanks a lot wednesdayayay for your videos. I was googling around trying to find how to trigger my deerhorn organ with external signals and your videos showed me that I need to put the antenna knob in an extreme position for it to work.

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”