MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

mouser part number and type queries
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author mouser part number and type queries
Luka
mta 0.156 motm type 4pin connectors

trying to buy some of these in bulk from mouser instead of getting expensive ones from local electronic shop

does anyone have the links / mouse code

i tried to scan through their stock but am not sure which ones to buy
do all of them need crimp pins or do some work without?

this is the page i ended up viewing but im not sure they are correct

http://au.mouser.com/Tyco-Electronics/Interconnects/Rectangular-Connec tors/_/N-211orZ1z0zls9Zscv7?P=1z0z248Z1z0wxp7Z1z0xbz4Z1z0wxnnZ1z0wxp8& FS=True
John Nonjohn
These work--

Mouser P/N: 571-6404454
panda30y
There are two types you can go with. The amp type and the molex brand. Each are slightly different I believe in how you crimp them. I bought the molex brand and you crimp each of the terminals individually and then insert them into the connectors where they lock in. So you have to buy each rectangular connector and 4 terminals for each. No solder needed and you just buy a crimper. I don't remember which crimper I bought, but it was about 40 bucks. I believe this is what the blacet kits have, but I bought mine at mouser for cheap.

connectors:
538-09-50-3041

terminals:
538-08-52-0125
JohnLRice
Make sure you notice that there are so many different part numbers because they are designed for different wire gauges, even though they are all 4 pin MTA .156 etc. Make sure to use the correct wire size / connector size or you risk having flakey power connections. cry

Get the little MTA hand tool, they are only about $20:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=A9981 -ND
Luka
what about the crimp pins?
does anyone know the code for them?

edit - got it

does anyone have a link to cheap 8pin IC sockets and some lm3046s
JohnLRice
Luka wrote:

The MTA type connectors already have the crimp pins inside them from what I've seen. (you just need the special tool to push the wire into them) The Molex type are different i guess but I haven't used them.
NV
The MTA connectors/headers (made by AMP) are the ones used by MOTM - they have little strips of metal inside them and work by shoving the wire into a slot, which causes the metal strips to bite through the insulation and into the wire. There's a hand tool that aids this process, but you can do it with a small screw driver if you're only planning on making a few cables. I use the hand tool for 0.1" MTA connectors since I make so many of them, but for the 0.156" connectors, of which I only make a few here and there, I just wedge the wire in using a flat head screw driver.

I used to use crimpers with the Molex connectors before discovering the MTAs, and those damn crimp pins are annoying as hell at best and electrically/mechanically unreliable at worst. Not to mention it takes about 5 times longer to make a Molex connecter than an MTA connector, which really adds up in a wiring intensive project.
Luka
i use pliers and solder the wire in
takes no time once you get the technique down
BugBrand
Since moving to the Amp/Tyco MTA type (IDC = Insulation Displacement Connector) from the old Molex type I've never looked back --- massive time & hassle saving move!
numbertalk
I cannot highly enough recommend you get one of these as well:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=59803-1virtualkey571 00000virtualkey571-598031

This has saved my fingers many a bad accident I'd had many times before when using a jeweler's screwdriver to get the wires in. Well worth the money.

And a big +1 in general for MTA over Molex.
werock
Luka wrote:

edit - got it

does anyone have a link to cheap 8pin IC sockets and some lm3046s

Magenta in the UK are knocking out ua3046's (Fairchild equivalent I think) for £0.14! NOt sure about foreign shipping rates though...

Magenta
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1