MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

4HP Sloth Chaos modules available
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author 4HP Sloth Chaos modules available
andrewF
This module produces two different, very slow chaotic CV signals. It comes in three versions:
Sloth - 12-16 seconds per cycle
Super Sloth - 12-16 minutes per cycle.
Stasis Sloth - 1.5-2 hours per cycle
The pot varies the cycle length between approx 12 to 16 seconds for regular and 12 to 16 minutes for super. It also changes the behaviour of the module, when turned to max the outputs tend to stay in one well or strange attractor for longer periods before crossing over to the other well (see plots below to grok what this means)

The LED changes from red to green depending whether the circuit is going positive or negative. In the case of the Super Sloth, the LED will generally change colour every 15 minutes or so, but sometimes it may meander around in a chaotic well for up to 2 hours. If you like slowly changing, never repeating ambient soundscapes, these are for you.

This is a true chaotic circuit, the output signals never repeat themselves but operate withing a bounded region.
The panels are 2mm blue (despite the 1st pic looking green) with Gold finished metal lettering suitable for Eurorack systems.

These are available now, check the nonlinearcircuits blog for prices, shipping and contact info.

Also the Triple version is now available







silkynight
Whoa! Super cool! Guinness ftw!
far
Love the Super Sloth, think i may have to get another at some point.
andrewF
far wrote:
Love the Super Sloth, think i may have to get another at some point.

It is good to have one of each, get really interesting slow CVs mixing the regular and super signals. My modular has 4 at the moment w00t
bennelong.bicyclist
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chua's_circuit]Chua's circuit[/url]! Cool!
mmelnick
Do you still make that multi band distortion module?
david_r
Hmm, I may just have to get two of these as suggested above!

Just want to clarify somethings. On the scope, left is from the Small output and right is from the Big output?

What is a 'cycle' since the signals never repeat? Is it when the signal changes polarity?
indigoid
It's chaotic. Don't bother trying to derive things from it, that's not the point seriously, i just don't get it
far
andrewF wrote:
far wrote:
Love the Super Sloth, think i may have to get another at some point.

It is good to have one of each, get really interesting slow CVs mixing the regular and super signals. My modular has 4 at the moment w00t


How about slower?
Comatose Sloth?
andrewF
far wrote:


How about slower?
Comatose Sloth?

I'm working on a 4-8 hours per cycle version called 'stasis' Dead Banana
andrewF
bennelong.bicyclist wrote:
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chua's_circuit]Chua's circuit[/url]! Cool!

This is not Chua's circuit, it is actually much simpler and more robust. This design is based on the research from JC Sprott.
andrewF
mmelnick wrote:
Do you still make that multi band distortion module?


yes - the production boards should be here on Monday. I will start building them right away.
andrewF
david_r wrote:

Just want to clarify somethings. On the scope, left is from the Small output and right is from the Big output?


In the plot shown above, one output controls the Y direction (up/down), the other controls X (side to side), same for the regular Sloth video. This is how most chaos images are generated. I have a gallery of chaos images HERE and one of hyperchaos images HERE, though these are from different circuits (I have just finished my PhD on memristor based chaotic circuits)
In the super Sloth video, you can both waveforms in regular mode...moving rather slowly of course.

david_r wrote:

What is a 'cycle' since the signals never repeat? Is it when the signal changes polarity?

Using the term 'cycle' roughly decribes approximately how long it would take the circuit to complete the figure 8....butterfly wings, if you like, if that is what the output signals will do. Sometimes they get stuck on one side (known as a 'well') for a few minutes or even hours, sometimes they loiter around the zero crossing point before deciding which way to go. The meaning of 'never repeat' is that the signals never follow exactly the same path twice even though the action takes place in a bounded region. This is what makes chaos so much more interesting than random or white noise based circuits. It is like a musician playing a melody over and over but changing it slightly (and sometimes drastically) each time.
wellurban
andrewF wrote:
It comes in two versions:
Sloth - 12-16 seconds per cycle
Super Sloth - 12-16 minutes per cycle.


If one buys the PCB and panel, would one be able to substitute the cap values for something that would give you a range in between those two? Or are there other components that would have to be changed and that make it more complicated to do so?
EarlJemmings
Loving these new panels.
Any thinking of making any for the Jerk off?
May just need to get the two of these.
All impatient for some chaos in my rack Miley Cyrus
dc_Sux
Super cool.
Given you've done your PhD on it, I'm sure everything you read is way over my head, but AndrewF have you got any recommendations for reading material for a beginners guide to chaos theory?
I really know nothing about it, but am interested.
andrewF
dc_Sux wrote:
have you got any recommendations for reading material for a beginners guide to chaos theory?
I really know nothing about it, but am interested.


Not sure how beginners guide you want. Ian Fritz was the 1st to actually develop chaos synth modules and his descriptions got me interested in the topic - HERE.
For a decent overview - this page looks good
and if you just want to jump in at the deep end, JC Sprott is great.
andrewF
wellurban wrote:
andrewF wrote:
It comes in two versions:
Sloth - 12-16 seconds per cycle
Super Sloth - 12-16 minutes per cycle.


If one buys the PCB and panel, would one be able to substitute the cap values for something that would give you a range in between those two? Or are there other components that would have to be changed and that make it more complicated to do so?


Most of the component values are different to make the two versions. For DIYers, the schematic & BOM are HERE. You can see the difference in the component values for the two different versions. I can work out the values to get a different range and expand the BOM if you like..... custom Sloth hihi
andrewF
EarlJemmings wrote:
Loving these new panels.
Any thinking of making any for the Jerk off?
Miley Cyrus


Thanks - these panels took a bit of time to get right, I'm very happy with them now. I would like to get some for the Jerkoffs too but have quite a few other jobs to sort 1st.
severence
i just received a super sloth & am looking forward to integrating it into some slowly evolving patches!

thanks to andrew for making some of these available to non-diyers thumbs up

andrewF
severence wrote:
i just received a super sloth & am looking forward to integrating it into some slowly evolving patches!

thanks to andrew for making some of these available to non-diyers thumbs up



Looks like you just had enough room for it Mr. Green
Very happy to be making Sloths; nice, smooth & gentle chaos.
severence
andrewF wrote:
Looks like you just had enough room for it Mr. Green
Very happy to be making Sloths; nice, smooth & gentle chaos.


actually i have had to lose my brains for a little while until i save for a new case! lol

i have a patch with the sloth multed out to half the modules in my system playing in the background at the moment and am being slowly transported down a huge vortex... great stuff!

hoping to get a wiard jag at some point in the future, imagining the sloth will make an interesting playmate for one of those along with the planar...
cold_fashioned
severence wrote:
andrewF wrote:
Looks like you just had enough room for it Mr. Green
Very happy to be making Sloths; nice, smooth & gentle chaos.


actually i have had to lose my brains for a little while until i save for a new case! lol

i have a patch with the sloth multed out to half the modules in my system playing in the background at the moment and am being slowly transported down a huge vortex... great stuff!

hoping to get a wiard jag at some point in the future, imagining the sloth will make an interesting playmate for one of those along with the planar...


That's exactly the thought I had with the sloth - just split it and use it all over. I just picked up pcb / panel set, and I'm looking forward to building and using it!
ether
severence wrote:
i just received a super sloth & am looking forward to integrating it into some slowly evolving patches!

thanks to andrew for making some of these available to non-diyers thumbs up



Is that a black panel? Or just the light? I could go a Black Sloth...
kuxaan-sum
They are blue.
They look good.
Got my two this week.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 1 of 8
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group