MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Working on fixing the 'session logged out' issue - please log out and log back in as there is a new cookie name. It MAY be worse for a while, sorry. We'll see... I'm working on it. Thanks

Blacet Mention in Electronic Musician
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Blacet Mention in Electronic Musician

fracmonkey

Puma package...

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/newbay/elm_201504/index.php?startid=24 #/26

chamomileshark

hmm, who wrote this?

Seems to repeat the error that Grant was involved in the Blacet VCO - I thought he had said that he pointed John to a public domain document. Of course he created the miniwave and then licenced it to John.

Edit: I see it was Gino. That's a suprise I thought he would have seen what I saw on the Wiard list when this was discussed.

fracmonkey

The triangle waveshaper is credited to a Electronotes contributor. Grant was instrumental in pointing this out to Blacet.

In fact of course, most VCOs of this type have a short list of creators (ie Moog) and a much bigger list of adopters.

A significant tempco improvement might be attributed to Emu.

chamomileshark

ok, that's not really my definition of "collaboration". But it's a minor point.

e-grad

Quote:
Terry Michael (formerly Terry Mikulic) when he was a teenager, contributed a significant number of the core circuits published in Electronotes magazine (something like 50%, including the first state variable VCF using OTAs EN#33 Pg. 5, and EN#34 Pg. 16,17).

In particular, Terry perfected and published the "classic sawtooth engine". While sawtooth reset designs had been published by Michael Suchoff (EN#49 Pg. 11) and Paul Titchener (EN#57 Pg. 8), Terry's design (EN#62 Pg. 14 Feb. 1976) is the most widely copied.

This design was picked up from Electronotes magazine by the engineers at Moog Music Inc. and others. The design forms the basis for the VCOs used in the Micromoog, Source, Prodigy and the other small Moog synths.

No money or acknowledgment was ever paid Terry for the design. It was not legally required, since by publishing the design (at 22) he placed it in the public domain.

Terry continued to improve the design over the next 25 years, and I connected John Blacet with Terry Michael's updated and improved sawtooth engine. This design is technically superior to the VCOs used in the Moogs and all other copies of Terry's older design.

Unfortunately, John apparently did not realize that Terry is the originator of the "classic sawtooth engine" and the other VCOs he studied were copies of Terry's "first" design.

LUCKILY, in spite of the confusion, John Blacet kept the important parts of Terry's new design and they appear in the Blacet VCO!

To summarize:

The Blacet VCO is the only commercial version of Terry Michaels "improved sawtooth engine" (remember the old inferior version sold something like 50,000 copies).

The Blacet VCO is the ONLY version of the "sawtooth engine" officially licensed from the originator of the design.

Best Regards,

Grant Richter
Wiard Synthesizer

http://search.retrosynth.com/ah/search/search.cgi

chamomileshark

thanks e-grad

ginorobair

chamomileshark wrote:
hmm, who wrote this?

Seems to repeat the error that Grant was involved in the Blacet VCO - I thought he had said that he pointed John to a public domain document. Of course he created the miniwave and then licenced it to John.

Edit: I see it was Gino. That's a suprise I thought he would have seen what I saw on the Wiard list when this was discussed.

Thanks for the clarification and for the subsequent quote from Grant about the topic.

Didn't mean to further a myth that Grant was a major collaborator on the VCO. This mention of the new Blacet configuration was NOT intended to be a historical overview of the modules: it was written for the readers who are relatively new to the subject of modulars and probably didn't know there were formats other than MU and Eurorack.

However, i was under the impression that Grant had more of an impact on that VCO design based on chats with both of them over a decade ago, so dropping that note in the text made sense to me at the time, as I rushed to make the deadline after NAMM.

I agree that, based on Grant's words in the post above this, it wouldn't be a collab to the degree I meant. However, Grant could be held responsible for leading John to the better design. If I could rewrite it, "influence" might be a word I'd now choose. Mr. Green

Thanks for catching that!

Of course, my hope is that more people will find the Frac format and that we will see an increase in action...selfishly, of course, because I'd like to keep my system growing!

ginorobair

And let me second that Thank You to e-grad.

chamomileshark

hi, Gino, good to see you! It was only a minor point and yes it would be good to get more people into Frac!

tron23

ginorobair wrote:
And let me second that Thank You to e-grad.

+3 thumbs up

ginorobair

chamomileshark wrote:
hi, Gino, good to see you! It was only a minor point and yes it would be good to get more people into Frac!

Here, here! Guinness ftw!

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1