MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

cross-posed from modular forum: Dieter's announcement
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author cross-posed from modular forum: Dieter's announcement
metasonix
Doepfer announced on his Yahoo group that he's discontinuing some modules....because they used Curtis chips--which have been getting scarcer and scarcer as time goes on. He was getting them from Paul Schreiber, and Paul has apparently run out.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Doepfer_a100/message/16080

The result? An endless whine-fest from the group members.....

I've noticed that one of the bitchiest is Bakis Sirros. He must have posted about 20 messages on this group in the last 3 days.
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Doepfer_a100/message/16088

Hey Bakis!! Where, pray tell, is Dieter supposed to get CEM3340 VCO chips? Do you know any magical Greek sparkle fairies who have a semiconductor fab hidden in their hollow tree?

The demand for these ultra-specialized chips is so small, no company could make a decent profit producing them. There are minimum production quantities needed to justify monolithic chip manufacture---especially for weird "archaic" analog parts like the CEM chips. In the 1970s and 80s, CEM chips were widely used in pro-audio gear like mixing consoles and processors. Virtually all that stuff is now digital, and the analog-synth business is miniscule by comparison.

(Meanwhile, I can still buy all the vacuum tubes I need. People beg me to take some of them.) SlayerBadger!
felix
Bakis has been cross posting all sorts of modules for sale...he should sell his Curtis-based modules and turn a nice profit.

Oh well. CEM is dead, long live CEM. Bring on the tubes! SlayerBadger!
wetterberg
I'll go ahead and crosspost a bit too then:

Fuck CEM. Moronic to base current tech on obsolete tech anyway.

the a-111-1 should have been replaced aeons ago - the CEM chip costs Doepfer 120 euro, judging by their price without the CEM?!?!?! WTF??

-------

The majority of the "whining" was actually directed towards Dieters choices regarding the 111-2
http://www.doepfer.de/A1112.htm

Basically he was saying that "since noone has emailed me about it, I am not going to build it" - even though it's a clear substitute for the aging 111-1 AND doesn't rely on the Curtis chips.

It seems absurd that he doesn't just switch - the a-111-2 is SO much better specced - and doesn't need a CEM-anything in there.

Bakis wasn't complaining about Dieter removing the 111-1 - it was the combination of removing the 111-1 AND saying that there is no substitution.

I wouldn't touch the Curtis-based one with a ten foot pole (I'd rather get the planB compex osc, which is cheaper, better specced and sounds better.)

- but the 111-2 looks TASTY! Which is more or less the concensus too.
REwire
I won't miss the A-111. I had it long ago and dumped it quickly. The output was low and soundwise, it got lost against the M15, Asys, Cwejman; pretty much everything. Maybe he can buy the ones Dave Smith is getting and make a crummy osc out of that.

His new Filter, the Xpander one, he said had a CEM3372's so I wonder if that'll not be around too long too.

I'm mostly worried about my Prophet-5. Sorry anyone with a Memorymoog.
Chuck E. Jesus
REwire wrote:
I won't miss the A-111. I had it long ago and dumped it quickly. The output was low and soundwise, it got lost against the M15, Asys, Cwejman; pretty much everything. Maybe he can buy the ones Dave Smith is getting and make a crummy osc out of that.

His new Filter, the Xpander one, he said had a CEM3372's so I wonder if that'll not be around too long too.

I'm mostly worried about my Prophet-5. Sorry anyone with a Memorymoog.

it really is that bad? i have no osc with linear FM, it would be nice to hear an example...

Dieter wrote:
In the A-106-6, A-107,
A-109, A-111-2 and A-122 other CEM circuits are used. We have still have
sufficient stock of these circuits.
wetterberg
I'm doing the linear FM/Hard sync mods to my a-110 standard vco soon.
Chuck E. Jesus
wetterberg wrote:

i have one out of my rack, i'm curious how that goes...there is also a mod to switch to LFO as well...

i'm wondering if it possible to add linear FM to the Pro One....
wetterberg
ross g wrote:
wetterberg wrote:

i have one out of my rack, i'm curious how that goes...there is also a mod to switch to LFO as well...

i'm wondering if it possible to add linear FM to the Pro One....
doh, yes, the hard sync is there already wink

switch to lfo? Haven't seen that one yet. if it's as easy as the linFM/Soft sync, then that's going in there, too. I suspect the LFO mod involves a resistor swap? will look into that.

Seems like I need a big bunch of blank panels asap smile
Chuck E. Jesus
wetterberg wrote:

switch to lfo? Haven't seen that one yet. if it's as easy as the linFM/Soft sync, then that's going in there, too. I suspect the LFO mod involves a resistor swap? will look into that.

there was a post on the Doepfer list from Dieter, it uses a resistor and a switch...i have my A-110 out atm, there's plenty of room to add jacks/switch on the panel...

i'm gonna send you a PM regarding this stuff...
wetterberg
ross g wrote:
wetterberg wrote:

there was a post on the Doepfer list from Dieter, it uses a resistor and a switch...i have my A-110 out atm, there's plenty of room to add jacks/switch on the panel...

sweet, mate!
SlayerBadger!
spbaker
wetterberg wrote:
ross g wrote:

sweet, mate!
SlayerBadger!

please share this one!! as mentioned other places i luv my 110's and to mod them would be schweet!
Muff Wiggler
spbaker wrote:
wetterberg wrote:
ross g wrote:

sweet, mate!
SlayerBadger!

please share this one!! as mentioned other places i luv my 110's and to mod them would be schweet!

they are! Check the DIY forum, wetterberg started a thread w00t
wetterberg
thanks for the follow-up, muff - would have missed it otherwise.

thread is here:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13891
thetwlo
BTW: the A-111-2 is based around the CEM3394 (as in Akai AX-60)
http://www.sequencer.de/synth/index.php/Doepfer
spbaker
Muff Wiggler wrote:
spbaker wrote:
wetterberg wrote:
ross g wrote:

sweet, mate!
SlayerBadger!

they are! Check the DIY forum, wetterberg started a thread w00t

i luv you guys! no, no really i luv youse guys! Guinness ftw!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1