MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mannequins' Cold Mac??
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Author Mannequins' Cold Mac??
autopoiesis
How's Cold Mac at envelope following? Can it track quickly, and is there much ripple?
liquidsn
Damn They are upping their boxing game! Great looking packaging!
Coldmac & w/

https://imgur.com/a/hB7k8jY
selfdestroyer
liquidsn wrote:
Damn They are upping their boxing game! Great looking packaging!
Coldmac & w/

https://imgur.com/a/hB7k8jY

Damn, I love their PCB covers they make to protect the back. Very nice touch!
adh82
Was just thinking about that. It would make for a good standard to adopt. Protects and adds awesome graphics to quick star card
0netwo0netwo
quick star card, what is that?
pinkflag16
I love the mystery of this module, but haven't had a chance to try one yet - it would look great next to my Sisters! I get what each individual function does, and think that the collection of utilities is certainly worth the price/hp, but judging from demos only, I've yet to hear a really musical application of unifying the functions together (surveilling, I guess). I've heard a lot of abrasive and chaotic noise, which is fine for the zillions of people who like that, but can someone point me to some more musical examples? Not meant to sound inflammatory, just clarifying what potential uses this has.
mdoudoroff
pinkflag16, at this time, the best demo of such I know of is this:

https://vimeo.com/260343825
selfdestroyer
mdoudoroff Thanks for that. I have never came across his videos before. I have found myself using my Cold Mac maily for mixing/crossfades and that about it at this point. It one of the modules I bought with knowing the functions it "can" do but I am also having a hard time seeing how they all interact.

One of the hard things for me is doing self patching on the Cold Mac, it hurts my head in a way that I need to overcome quickly.
pinkflag16
mdoudoroff wrote:
pinkflag16, at this time, the best demo of such I know of is this:

https://vimeo.com/260343825

Thanks! I jumped around a bit, and didn't hear too much specific to the CM except for the offset and panning thing, but I'll give it another watch when I have more time.
mdoudoroff
selfdestroyer wrote:
mdoudoroff Thanks for that. I have never came across his videos before. I have found myself using my Cold Mac maily for mixing/crossfades and that about it at this point. It one of the modules I bought with knowing the functions it "can" do but I am also having a hard time seeing how they all interact.

One of the hard things for me is doing self patching on the Cold Mac, it hurts my head in a way that I need to overcome quickly.

While I think any module deserves to thoroughly explored, and it’s a useful challenge to dig in, there’s absolutely no shame at all in using the utilitarian components of Cold Mac (or Maths or really any other module) for rudimentary, un-sexy purposes.
mdoudoroff
I made a quick ’n dirty video demo of “patch surveillance”. Maybe some of you will find it helpful?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvvtRtV9bJw

I might get around to redoing this eventually with a better patch and an actual script. As it is, my impromptu description of the Location circuit is nonsense—please disregard.
selfdestroyer
Great stuff.. thanks mdoudoroff
jameswalk
Brilliant mdoudoroff, really helpful.
Appreciative
XiXora
A true master of the Mac.
mdoudoroff
XiXora wrote:
A true master of the Mac.

Ha ha! Hardly. Nope! Not even close. But I’m giving it another shot. More to come.
nrg242
any new mdoudoroff video is extremely helpful. thanks for this one.
jarcorbo
Thanks for the video and patch ideas!
mdoudoroff
[cross-post] Pleased to announce a vast overhaul of my Patching Cold Mac documentation. I’ve added quite a bit of new information and—I hope—clarity. If you see any errors, please let me know!

http://doudoroff.com/cold-mac/

screaming goo yo
XiXora
Ah, lovely. My Cold Mac just arrived. I'll give this a good read (again).
Kohlhofer
mdoudoroff wrote:
(in the manual) As a whole greater than the sum of its parts, Cold Mac might be truly delightful to some folks, while others will run away screaming. Either way, you’re not wrong.

That made me happy. Nicely done. I have perceviered largely because of your great manual.
selfdestroyer
mdoudoroff wrote:
[cross-post] Pleased to announce a vast overhaul of my Patching Cold Mac documentation. I’ve added quite a bit of new information and—I hope—clarity. If you see any errors, please let me know!

http://doudoroff.com/cold-mac/

screaming goo yo

Thanks for the heads up!

Your updated photos helped me immensely to visualize this madness.
danfastlikeflan
Thanks for the great write up! It really clears up a lot of the mystique
mdoudoroff
Today I sorted out how to pretty much reproduce the LOCATION circuit behavior in MATHS. The patch monopolizes one slew and the mixer, leaving one slew channel completely free.

You start with the basic full wave rectification patch for MATHS, mult your bipolar input signal into the template (inputs 2 and 3) and also to input 1 (or 4—whichever slew you want to use). The OR output goes to BOTH on the appropriate slew. Crank RISE and FALL, set the response to linear, and make sure the slews aren’t leaking into the mixer, and set the attenuverters for channels 2 and 3 to about 9pm and 3pm, respectively. Take unity out from the appropriate slew.

You can tweak the behavior by carefully adjusting the various knobs. For example, nudging the slew response toward logarithmic is a great way to really slow things down.

Sunden
This is a nice patch!

I haven’t tried it out yet but I don’t believe it is quite accurate (not that it matters it’s still cool!).

Using the full wave rectifier to make the rate of change proportional to the magnitude of the control input voltage is ace, but to me, this looks like the output voltage will ultimately stop at the control input voltage. Correct me if I’m wrong about that. That is not true for location; it will keep going past the input voltage until it reaches the +5 or -5 wall depending on if the input is positive or negative.

You need some sort of comparator between the control signal and the maths ch. 1 slewing input. The comparator should output +X when the control signal is positive and -X when the control signal is negative. X is just whatever your desired min/max wall is.

I actually never thought to send in negative voltage to the slewing inputs, didn’t realize that unity output was bipolar!
mdoudoroff
Sunden wrote:
This is a nice patch!

I haven’t tried it out yet but I don’t believe it is quite accurate (not that it matters it’s still cool!).

Using the full wave rectifier to make the rate of change proportional to the magnitude of the control input voltage is ace, but to me, this looks like the output voltage will ultimately stop at the control input voltage. Correct me if I’m wrong about that. That is not true for location; it will keep going past the input voltage until it reaches the +5 or -5 wall depending on if the input is positive or negative.

On paper you’re right, but in actuality, LOCATION doesn’t do that. If in the input voltage is slightly greater or slightly less than 0v, then the voltage will gamely climb or fall to around 3.6v or -3.6v, and then stop. To get it to go further, you have to apply proportionately more voltage, and even then, it tops out at about 4.2v (or -4.2v). If you drive it with a full 10v (or -10v) you can get it up to 4.5v (-4.5v).

I’ll try to record this all on video at some point soon.

The MATHS patch produces slightly different (more predictable, more adjustable) results, but it’s all pretty close for practical purposes.

Quote:
I actually never thought to send in negative voltage to the slewing inputs, didn’t realize that unity output was bipolar!

Oh yeah.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Page 7 of 9