MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mannequins' Cold Mac??
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Author Mannequins' Cold Mac??
noisejockey
Cold Mac owners: What's the Survey CV input expect, unipolar or bipolar, and what range? I didn't see that in the manual or on the various threads here.
enj_music
noisejockey wrote:
Cold Mac owners: What's the Survey CV input expect, unipolar or bipolar, and what range? I didn't see that in the manual or on the various threads here.


I'd imagine +/- 5V, since it's just added as an offset to the Survey CV. If you go past these thresholds, you get interesting results. If you're using it to control the MAC output volume, you can get clipping and distortion.

If you pipe audio into the survey input, you can asymmetrically distort it with the 6 transfer functions, by turning the Survey knob further to the left or further to the right. If the audio signal is >10Vpp, you will get distortion along the entire travel of the knob, but different shades of distortion depending on the position. See this instagram video I posted a couple days ago of using the Survey knob as an asymmetric distortion.

The video:
Cold Mac - Asymmetric Distortion

Brief patch notes:
3 Sisters self-oscillating sine chord (much louder than 5Vpp) into Survey input, turning the survey knob to get different distortion tones, Triatt is sending an offset into the Span input on the Three Sisters to get different intervals. If you wanted to voltage control this variable distortion, you could mix the input audio with a CV source. I highly recommend trying this - some very warm 'n' fuzzy sounds.
noisejockey
Just wanted to share that an multi-channel attenuverter or attenuverting mixer like the Intellijel TriAtt really makes Cold Mac come to life. Want Survey to control only some parameters? Patch in the TriAtt as a voltage source for what you want to control separately.

Want more control over mixing? Gain control over the insert mix channel (Offset) when L and R are patched by just using TriAtt as an audio attenuator. While the concept of patch surveillance is super unique and interesting, Cold Mac can be used in a more surgical way, if desired, with something like the TriAtt. As enj_music pointed out, flipping a channel ±10V makes even more craziness.

My new 6U rig is just a Sputnik Keyboard and mostly Mannequins modules, and Cold Mac is the only mixer. But with three channels of input, it reminds me a little of using an Optomix. But with built in waveshaping/rectifying, slewing, and envelope following. ALL AT ONCE.
autopoiesis
noisejockey wrote:
Just wanted to share that an multi-channel attenuverter or attenuverting mixer like the Intellijel TriAtt really makes Cold Mac come to life. Want Survey to control only some parameters? Patch in the TriAtt as a voltage source for what you want to control separately.

Want more control over mixing? Gain control over the insert mix channel (Offset) when L and R are patched by just using TriAtt as an audio attenuator. While the concept of patch surveillance is super unique and interesting, Cold Mac can be used in a more surgical way, if desired, with something like the TriAtt. As enj_music pointed out, flipping a channel ±10V makes even more craziness.

My new 6U rig is just a Sputnik Keyboard and mostly Mannequins modules, and Cold Mac is the only mixer. But with three channels of input, it reminds me a little of using an Optomix. But with built in waveshaping/rectifying, slewing, and envelope following. ALL AT ONCE.


Yep ! I always keep my Cold Mac parked vertically or horizontally adjacent to a crossfade-modded TBVCA for this reason and together they serve as the main cortical hub for my system. Pretty much never use the first bank of my Disting anymore for this reason.
shreeswifty
i found that initially i thought ok i plug one thing in and i'll get all this fancy CV outs was not the case but after the 2nd or third input addition the thing becomes just super intriguing.

I recently visited Control in Brooklyn who had earlier in the week had done a monome ISMs workshop of some sort so one of the guys was demo-ing the Cold Mac for a potential customer and i was following along and when he started explaining it i interjected the tiny epiphany i had discovered wit hit and as he patched more and more the module just started getting more and more amazing. and really the cool part of it for me is that you can get a really nice "melange" and then with one know turn everything into something else. It has survived two vigorous "what have you done for me lately?" modular inquisitions in my system and it's won it's permanent status in my case
search64
Cool! I'm sold. I really love the idea of using that one knob as a sort of total patch controller.
autopoiesis
search64 wrote:
Cool! I'm sold. I really love the idea of using that one knob as a sort of total patch controller.


That all said, though, if you really really want one knob to rule the patch in a meta-control fashion, you should give Frames a hard look. It won't allow you to crossfade signals into analog logic operators, allow you to crossfade between a signal and its rectified version, etc. like Cold Mac will, but it affords uniquely precise control over how offset voltages and input attenuation levels should change over time. Cold Mac's flavor of meta-control is more suited to experimenting (at a comparative expense of precise control) and producing variations of related signals, while Frames's is more suited to deliberative "patch programming" that you can unfold via its one big knob.

Something to keep in mind. I have both and fully expect to keep both.
basicbasic
Patching a sine into one channel and then patching it all back in on itself makes for some interesting CV-able waveshaping too.
enj_music
basicbasic wrote:
Patching a sine into one channel and then patching it all back in on itself makes for some interesting CV-able waveshaping too.


Patching what all back into what part of itself?
basicbasic
enj_music wrote:
basicbasic wrote:
Patching a sine into one channel and then patching it all back in on itself makes for some interesting CV-able waveshaping too.


Patching what all back into what part of itself?


Try patching any output back into any input - maybe throw some RYO Airtenuators or some VCAs between as well.

Monitor via Mac out.
fever606
search64 wrote:
I really love the idea of using that one knob as a sort of total patch controller.

The Survey knob (and the "Patch Surveillance" video) are what sold me on Cold Mac... currently searching for the slowest LFO I can find to patch into it! Mr. Green

basicbasic wrote:
Try patching any output back into any input - maybe throw some RYO Airtenuators or some VCAs between as well.

Monitor via Mac out.

Well, now I know what I'm doing tomorrow... This is fun!
loachhat
What's that you say? w00t

noisejockey
Dat's patchin' tings propah!

loachhat wrote:
What's that you say? w00t

barksten
I got mine today. I've read all the manuals, watched att the videos and thought I was prepared. My quick patch with it ended up in something much more complex I could never have imagined. It just happened. I didn't have a clue what was going on. Scary, but fun.
Anyway, the panel have a slightly different color tone than the other Mannequins modules (I have one of each). It's more "warm", brownish gray. Is that normal?
Is it some kind of surface coating that will change with time?
droningspaghettimonster
the logic functions work absolute magic with tempo synced lfos and a vca or two. audio damage sequencer 1 tides and cold mac are my favorite combo for droning modulation these days. love
whimsical
@barksten
This is natural variation in the raw aluminium colour. We unfortunately don't have any control over how this works and our supplier won't commit to providing panels with a consistent hue.

So yes, it's part of the charm of small scale manufacturing!
guestt
Booooooooom!!!!

I've had this a few weeks, maybe longer and never really connected, I was like WTF? seriously, i just don't get it

...but last night it all suddenly made sense - whoa!!!!

Some seriously strange noises coming from my modular - excellent! thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

Want all the others ion the collection now... damn! very frustrating
Accent
I'm eagerly awaiting delivery of one of these, trying to wrap my head around it. Gonna be pairing it with a Benjolin and Maths. nanners
restlessboy
I think from the moment I saw this module, with its 20 patch points and single knob, and thought 'what the actual fuck is that?' I kind of knew I was always going to get one.

Just picked it up from Cymru Beats to go with my Mangrove and Three Sisters. Super complex micro-patching here I come!
GYS
Hey there Cold Mac crew. Has anyone out there used this as a logic module for drum triggers to get rhythmically pleasing variations? I've owned mine for a while, but like many others, having a tough time wrapping my head around it. I'm currently planning out the rest of my system with a focus on drum and rhythm modules and am wondering if I can get away with using Cold Mac instead of a dedicated logic module like the Doepfer A-166. Thanks for any insight. I plan on experimenting, but finding it a very confounding module. Haven't had my magic moment with it yet! MY ASS IS BLEEDING
eBerkhout
There might be a way to do what you're after with it, but Cold Mac is an analogue logic module whereas you'll probably want digital logic to do what you're talking about. That is 'digital' in that the module only takes notice of whether an input/output is on or off, as opposed to a constantly variable voltage where anything above/below a certain level is ignored/inverted/etc.
GYS
eBerkhout wrote:
There might be a way to do what you're after with it, but Cold Mac is an analogue logic module whereas you'll probably want digital logic to do what you're talking about. That is 'digital' in that the module only takes notice of whether an input/output is on or off, as opposed to a constantly variable voltage where anything above/below a certain level is ignored/inverted/etc.


I tried it out using mostly gates for inputs, a mishmash of gates/CV for the middle section, and then outputs to various drum triggers (and a few drum parameters). It did work...in a very strange way. The rhythm was pretty interesting and not totally bonkers chaotic. It added a lot of shuffle to certain drums which was unexpected. I dig it, but also think a digital logic module would still be good to have. Really wish I could find a PM Logic Banks module, but a Doepfer A-166 Dual Logic will work pretty well too I think. Thanks for the reply!
patilon
a question about the cold macs behaviour..
i didn´t check all the functions in detail so far, but i already have an issue using left and right input (the two vcos of the verbos complex oscillator) and going from "left" or "right"-out into my mixer.
when checking with only one signal there is noticable bleed with the survey-knob turned fully clockwise + at the end a kind of wavefolded distorded noise is added (DR-100_0552.mp3)
with two vcos this is the result: DR-100_0551.mp3

could someone who owns cold mac and the complex oscillator check if he experiences a similiar result? when i strongly attenuate the signals before the inputs distortion/bleed is gone.
strangely this happens only with the complex oscillator. with most other vcos i get bleed but no distortion, but i found 1-2 other vco-waveform-outputs going into cold mac also leading
to at least a slight amount of distortion.
is this an issue which can be fixed?
patilon
noone?

i contacted Mannequins as well.. no reaction so far seriously, i just don't get it
sgnhh
GYS wrote:
Hey there Cold Mac crew. Has anyone out there used this as a logic module for drum triggers to get rhythmically pleasing variations? I've owned mine for a while, but like many others, having a tough time wrapping my head around it. I'm currently planning out the rest of my system with a focus on drum and rhythm modules and am wondering if I can get away with using Cold Mac instead of a dedicated logic module like the Doepfer A-166. Thanks for any insight. I plan on experimenting, but finding it a very confounding module. Haven't had my magic moment with it yet! :omg:


i believe that i had success patching two zorlon cannon gates into the AND inputs-- output only went high when the two gates were engaged. that said, this definitely won't do everything the a-166 does.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Page 4 of 9
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group