MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mannequins' Cold Mac??
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Mannequins' Cold Mac??
GmbH

https://instagram.com/p/1ERR_PFr6c/?taken-by=whimsicalraps

intrigued about what this new module is about while waiting for Mangrove, just ordered today

hyper
D Beau
Not a terribly appetizing moniker.
windspirit
Ok who is going to spill the mac??
whimsical
8HP.
1 Big Knob.
20 Jacks.
cannonball swandive
whimsical wrote:
8HP.
1 Big Knob.
20 Jacks.

eek!
windspirit
I bet it just takes everything that you plug into it and connects it to everything else. Ill take 3 Dead Banana
glia
such a tease
Kingnimrod
Aira scatter for euro hihi
Dogma
Just ordered the sisters!!!!!!!! Im obsessed with duals so this is going to fill a giant hole for me!
D Beau
A big knob with 20 jacks? I thought this was a family site! Miley Cyrus
Matos
I think that's how most families get started! hyper
GmbH
I assume that Three Sisters was inspired in the same-named mountains in NSW, and Mangrove on the tree…

Any Ossie around who can shed a bit of light here?
Nofrenchtests
GmbH wrote:
I assume that Three Sisters was inspired in the same-named mountains in NSW, and Mangrove on the tree…

I saw somewhere that the designer is an expat,
but those names aren't unfamiliar to a New South Welshman.
Cold Mac is probably a reference to the second favourite
meal of poor uni students here..second of course to mi goreng.
I'm guessing that will be his next module. lol
glia
found on IG earlier

discuss...
Dogma
glia wrote:
found on IG earlier

discuss...

I didnt take any notice! I didnt think it was a new module Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana!
windspirit
Seems like a very fully featured panner/ cross fader?
Matos
Mini frames?
ju4n
windspirit wrote:
Seems like a very fully featured panner/ cross fader?

With some logic summing channels?
sloth713
Kingnimrod wrote:
Aira scatter for euro hihi

lolspew

And all the intersecting lines on right sided jack are quite intriguing, I am trying to figure out if they are just suppose to flat 2D images or representation of 3D spaces ( I assume the former). Either way this does look like a very cool X-fader module (from what I can tell)
moegl
"Mr Cold Mac can create cv or process audio, or some combination"
moegl

cold mac is the dark on in the middle. smile
Summa
moegl wrote:

cold mac is the dark on in the middle. smile

you need a case brah... Miley Cyrus
Stab Frenzy
Nofrenchtests wrote:
GmbH wrote:

I thought it was a reference to coffee? seriously, i just don't get it
moegl
(I stole the picture from IG, it's not my case.. cool )
Nofrenchtests
Stab Frenzy wrote:
Nofrenchtests wrote:
GmbH wrote:

I thought it was a reference to coffee? seriously, i just don't get it

As in a macchiato? Might be, I don't often hear people
buying them, but I'm not from Melbourne. hihi
GoneCaving
Monome's teasing us too hmmm.....

https://twitter.com/monomes/status/591245449379651585
Dogma
still a couple of weeks away apparently - we need some audio now please smile
d.thomas
Look like another great design.
adh82
any update?
whimsical
Video today. In stores Friday, including our first Euro retailer, and a new US distro.

"Analog utilities with mixing and patch surveillance"

8HP, $197 USD.
adh82
oh yeah!!!
looking forward to the video It's peanut butter jelly time!
ghrobbing_tristle
"Patch Surveillance" - BRING IT. Can't wait for that video demo...
Dogma
Wheres that video! I want the tripple - and I want to know what it really is
READYdot
^+1
glia
its up

GmbH
Second video and more details are now available Clap
http://www.whimsicalraps.com/pages/coldmac
oootini
a 6 input VC pan/crossfading mixer/full wave rectifier/wave folder.

is that right?
mqtthiqs
Very, very nice. applause
whimsical, I really like your style! All your modules are really unique and innovative, you make surprising and deep modules even out of simple utilities. I can't wait to get this! And the Three Sisters! And...
Btw who is your European distributor?
rupertlally
+1 on everything Mqtthiqs wrote (sorry to keep turning on the same posts as you, buddy - clearly we have similar tastes! ) If I had the cash I'd buy all of the modules straight away.

1 (possibly slightly stupid) question after watching the intro vid 3 times already: the 6 ins are summed out at the Mac out and if no audio is going in the various transfer outs are putting out various types of voltage based on what the survey knob/cv is doing - if you have all the audio ins are in use is what's coming out of the various transfer outs the combination of that particular "linked" audio in signal, plus what the transfer out is doing to it or just a voltage based on the signal/transfer out? (If that makes sense)... Watching the video it seems like the former, rather than the latter... I guess what I'm asking is can I use it to mix 6 sources and use the transfer outs for voltages at the same time?

Anyway, regardless of the answer congrats on another superb-looking module.
Daisuk
Anyone gotten their Cold Mac yet? Looks pretty interesting.
Paranormal Patroler
Question is, how well does this work with CV instead of Audio?
Dogma
It doesnt. Its an audio tool and AC coupled.....DC only o the"survey" which basically sweeps the range....
Paranormal Patroler
Dogma wrote:
It doesnt. Its an audio tool and AC coupled.....DC only o the"survey" which basically sweeps the range....

That would explain the lack of this type of patch on the video. Too bad. I wonder if there exists an equivalent for CV. Plog comes to mind but it's for Gates and it's not nearly as complex. hmmm.....
nearly ghost
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Dogma wrote:

That would explain the lack of this type of patch on the video. Too bad. I wonder if there exists an equivalent for CV. Plog comes to mind but it's for Gates and it's not nearly as complex. hmmm.....

WMD/SSF blender has 1 channel CV cross fade I think. Again not near as complex as cold Mac.
Paranormal Patroler
Nah, nothing similar for CV as far as I can tell. Pitty innit ?
modezart
i bought the whole voice from them. so far so good, mangrove sounds amazing and little sisters was for me the biggest aha effect on a filter since the res4.
cold mac, well so far i use it as a vca with little cv controll. i will dig in deeper since it has a lot of options.
great stuff
thelizard
No, it works with CV as well. The Mac output is AC coupled, so you can't use it as a CV mixer. You can still use it for a lot of processing. I love mine, and sold a bunch of other utility modules that it replaces. The only tough aspect about it is that it doesn't have any LEDs on it, meaning that you'll probably want a scope while you learn it.
nearly ghost
thelizard wrote:
No, it works with CV as well. The Mac output is AC coupled, so you can't use it as a CV mixer. You can still use it for a lot of processing. I love mine, and sold a bunch of other utility modules that it replaces. The only tough aspect about it is that it doesn't have any LEDs on it, meaning that you'll probably want a scope while you learn it.

So you need to take any processed CV from the left corresponding outputs rather than the mac out?
Studio-ES
rupertlally wrote:
+1 on everything Mqtthiqs wrote (sorry to keep turning on the same posts as you, buddy - clearly we have similar tastes! ) If I had the cash I'd buy all of the modules straight away.

1 (possibly slightly stupid) question after watching the intro vid 3 times already: the 6 ins are summed out at the Mac out and if no audio is going in the various transfer outs are putting out various types of voltage based on what the survey knob/cv is doing - if you have all the audio ins are in use is what's coming out of the various transfer outs the combination of that particular "linked" audio in signal, plus what the transfer out is doing to it or just a voltage based on the signal/transfer out? (If that makes sense)... Watching the video it seems like the former, rather than the latter... I guess what I'm asking is can I use it to mix 6 sources and use the transfer outs for voltages at the same time?

Anyway, regardless of the answer congrats on another superb-looking module.

I'm guessing that it's the former? Any ideas? And has the panel labeling changed? The manual says that OR(2) on the panel is labeled as being normalled to AND(2) when it isn't.
Looks complicated but I think I'd like to use the analog logic, the env follower, and wavefolder simultaneously.
whimsical
I just wanted to jump in here and clarify a few misunderstandings. Cold Mac is a pretty densely functional module so I'm not entirely surprised there's some difficulty in understanding it all, especially without having one to use in person.

@rupertlally
The CV outputs (pattern shaded jacks) are the primary function of the module. If you attach audio-rate inputs they will also be available at the MAC output through a master VCA. This means you can make complex arrangements where a number of audio inputs are fed into the left-column and summed to MAC, but additional DC inputs can also be fed in. These DC control signals won't appear at MAC output, but will affect the individual functions they're connected to.

There's a huge amount of complex interaction available here, and it definitely takes some getting familiar with, but it's opened up a lot of deep interactive capability within my system.

@Paranormal Patroler
The entire design is DC-capable except for the audio-mixing VCA output on the MAC jack. The remaining 8 outputs are all DC capable. The 'Patch Surveillance' idea is all about generating CV across all 8 outputs relative to the state of SURVEY.

I don't have a clear image of the type of patch you are talking about when you say the demo video isn't showing it. Do you mean something like a sequencer in one channel, crossfading into an LFO on another channel? I'd love to put together a new video demonstrating this kind of functionality, but want to make sure I've got a good grip on what you're looking for.

@nearly ghost
All the right-column jacks and the two centre-bottom jacks are outputs. They're indicated by the patterned background surrounding each one. All of these jacks are DC capable, and only the MAC output is AC-coupled only.

@Studio-ES
The panel labeling has not been changed as we're still using the first batch of plates. It's an unfortunate misprint, but easily fixed with a stackcable if you want to shift both OR & AND reference points in parallel.

////

Thanks for the feedback all, I'm thinking about how I can better express these concepts in the manual and videos so there's less confusion, and more excitement about this module! It's changed the way I patch, and I'm anxious for others to have that same feeling...
Daisuk
I'm getting mine in a couple of days, and have grasped the general gist of it, of course, but have had to struggle quite a bit to find out exactly what input/output does what. Maybe a simple graphic showing what each input/output does would be helpful (and indeed, which jacks are inputs and which are outputs).

I had to flip between the manual and the image of the module to piece the information together. Maybe having an image of the module in the manual would make it a tad easier. Although, when receiving the module, this won't be a problem, of course - but could be a convenience for people who's interested who doesn't yet have the module. smile

Looking much forward to trying it out!
whimsical
Thanks for the feedback. A few pointers:

- The manual has a small graphic representing the relevant jacks for each section. This is at the left most edge of the manual next to the header for each section.

- All of the outputs are marked with the grey-shaded background, or a black box. This is outlined in the manuals, but will hopefully also become clearer as the line is more fully fleshed out.
Daisuk
whimsical wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. A few pointers:

- The manual has a small graphic representing the relevant jacks for each section. This is at the left most edge of the manual next to the header for each section.

- All of the outputs are marked with the grey-shaded background, or a black box. This is outlined in the manuals, but will hopefully also become clearer as the line is more fully fleshed out.

Thanks! For some reason, I didn't notice the graphic in the manual indicating the jacks when reading it on the ipad. That obviously clears things up a lot visually. smile

I have gotten my Cold Mac now. Haven't been able to play with it too much yet, but this thing clearly has potential to do a lot of weird shit. I'm still scratching my head a lot when using it though, haha. Any patch examples would be appreciated.

So far I've enjoyed just sending it a lot of CV and processing that through the survey functions and sending it further into the system. Also, although the Mac out isn't supposed to send out a mix of incoming CV, it does indeed send out a weird CV signal when there's a lot of incoming CV going into Mac.

Also, how hot a signal should you send survey to make it sweep the entire range?
whimsical
Sometimes I worry that as we work harder to through-design all of these elements, the actual content gets lost. Perhaps a 'plain text' type version might be easier to navigate. I'll look into an alternate online-only version in the future that isn't just the printed manual.

Cold Mac can certainly do a lot of 'weird shit' and some extended head scratching is appropriate. It is a module that will grow with your system and hugely multiply the functionality of any new module you add into your system.

I have received a few concerned emails about the MAC output having a 'brushing noise' appear which is definitely a small amount of DC bleeding through. This is caused by the SLOPE input being normalled from the SURVEY knob/jack and the AC-coupling being at quite a low corner frequency (16Hz).

If you wish to use the MAC output as a standard VCA make sure one of your sources is attached to the SLOPE input. Alternatively, attaching a dummy cable to the SLOPE input will defeat the Survey->MAC feedthrough.

It is interesting to note that the MAC output will provide an additional AUDIO output if you are feeding an audio signal into the SURVEY jack only. Some patch examples would definitely help here, though I don't know of a great system to illustrate said patches - recommendations / examples welcome.

Regarding Survey CV input, a 10V signal will drive the entire range. This is particularly designed to allow 10VP-P audio signals to be used and processed without clipping. Of course it can handle 0,10V or -5,+5 by simply turning the SURVEY knob.
Matos
whimsical
In regards to patch notation, I think SSF did a fantastic job with their positronic gate booklet. Clear notation, with focused use cases and well done diagrams without being module manufacturer specific.
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5258cf48e4b00d699d0ae2de/t/525ef 493e4b092595ba1df9d/1381954707235/OfficialPTGpatchBOOKver1_02.pdf
whimsical
Wow, that is pretty intense. I can't fathom how many hours such a document took to create (probably more than the circuit design). Perhaps I'll scrawl some patch diagrams on paper and post photos on a tumblr as some kind of in-between. Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana
Dogma
IM gonna sit down today and work out Cold Mac...It does so much a booklet like that wold be pretty long slog to pull off well...

Gil have you seen those excellent Maths, PDO II - theres a couple of others. I think Barlov did them? Anyway they do an excellent job of showing what the various modules can do with coloured patch cables and its very clear whats going on...maybe something like that.....
T. Jervell
Personally I think one of the great things with modular is to try to figure out the modules. It's always nice with a manual that gives you a rough idea of what the module does, but when it comes to patch ideas and stuff I really have little interest in that. Regarding Cold Mac, i think the video is a good demonstration of the module. I also think that the manual is informative enough to get anyone started. That being said I (unfortunately) so not own a Cold Mac yet. But will definitely order one as soon as the next paycheck arrives It's peanut butter jelly time!
Daisuk
T. Jervell wrote:
Personally I think one of the grate things with modular is to try to figure out the modules. It's always nice with a manual that gives you a rough idea of what the module does, but when it comes to patch ideas and stuff I really have little interest in that. Regarding Cold Mac, i think the video is a god demonstration of the module. I also think that the manual is informative enough to get anyone started. That being said I (unfortunately) so not own a Cold Mac yet. But will definitely order one as soon as the next paycheck arrives It's peanut butter jelly time!

I agree, sitting down with a module trying to figure it out is one of the joys of modular. I'm not generally one to read and try patch examples, but I'm willing to make an exception for the Cold Mac. I bought it partially because it features a lot of functions I have yet to really explore/discover within the modular world (and what seems to be a massive potential in mixing them together). I'm learning it bit by bit though, and enjoying the experience. Really do wish I had a good scope though ...
Amer1231
such modules are made to be reviewed by mylarmelodies or ben hix nanners

edit: after checking the manual......I want it, I want it HARD!
cupwise
i cant tell if this is something like disting, where you have a range of possible functions it can be used for, but only one at a time, or if it's a thing where you can use multiple functions on separate ins/outs, or or if this is a thing where you would patch into and out of it like crazy and get really weird results by using all the functions together on one cv or audio in..
kwaidan
At once, it can perform multiple functions.
rytamura
Hello wigglers,

Recently I acquired Coldmac and installed it in my minimal HEK rack. Still I am trying to learn those various functions it provides, and in the meantime it is only used as a VCA. A trouble arises when adjusting the signal levels from MAC output: even if SURVEY is set at a fully CCW position, the signal can be heard at a noticeable level!

Likewise, when panning or cross-fading two signals as shown in the manual, either one of them can be heard even if the knob is at fully CW or CCW positions.

Of course applying (tiny) offset to the SURVEY input can resolve the problem. So I would like to ask the owners (or @whimsical) whether that is common, or specific to my unit.

Thanks in advance.
diasporos
whimsical wrote:
I just wanted to jump in here and clarify a few misunderstandings. Cold Mac is a pretty densely functional module so I'm not entirely surprised there's some difficulty in understanding it all, especially without having one to use in person.

@rupertlally
The CV outputs (pattern shaded jacks) are the primary function of the module. If you attach audio-rate inputs they will also be available at the MAC output through a master VCA. This means you can make complex arrangements where a number of audio inputs are fed into the left-column and summed to MAC, but additional DC inputs can also be fed in. These DC control signals won't appear at MAC output, but will affect the individual functions they're connected to.

There's a huge amount of complex interaction available here, and it definitely takes some getting familiar with, but it's opened up a lot of deep interactive capability within my system.

@Paranormal Patroler
The entire design is DC-capable except for the audio-mixing VCA output on the MAC jack. The remaining 8 outputs are all DC capable. The 'Patch Surveillance' idea is all about generating CV across all 8 outputs relative to the state of SURVEY.

I don't have a clear image of the type of patch you are talking about when you say the demo video isn't showing it. Do you mean something like a sequencer in one channel, crossfading into an LFO on another channel? I'd love to put together a new video demonstrating this kind of functionality, but want to make sure I've got a good grip on what you're looking for.

@nearly ghost
All the right-column jacks and the two centre-bottom jacks are outputs. They're indicated by the patterned background surrounding each one. All of these jacks are DC capable, and only the MAC output is AC-coupled only.

@Studio-ES
The panel labeling has not been changed as we're still using the first batch of plates. It's an unfortunate misprint, but easily fixed with a stackcable if you want to shift both OR & AND reference points in parallel.

////

Thanks for the feedback all, I'm thinking about how I can better express these concepts in the manual and videos so there's less confusion, and more excitement about this module! It's changed the way I patch, and I'm anxious for others to have that same feeling...

Thank you for this explanation I really think the Cold Mac is an ingenious module. I spent last evening exploring and it is really beautiful. Had some questions and observations about input/output possibilities:

1. Is this a good understanding? Say you use the LH column to mix eg., 2 audio signals and 4 cv signals.
The 2 audio signals will of course appear at the MAC output while the 4 cv signals will only appear on the RH column's corresponding outputs, (as well as the last two of the MIDDLE column's) and influenced by the MIDDLE column's patch choices (offset, fade, etc), as well as the PATCH SURVEY knob. Correct?

2. If you choose to only patch CV, you could either patch inputs using a combination of the LH and MIDDLE column points which appear at the PATCH SURVEY outputs and offset by the KNOB; Or, you could patch into the MIDDLE column only, take outs at the Patch survey. -in this case PATCH survey Knob represents the 'set' cv and your MID column patches tge offset? I gather that without anything patched in, Cold Mac outputs a DC offset at PATCH SURVEY outs that is influenced by the Knob position. So anything we patch into the LH or MID column interacts with or interrupts the Cold Macs default cv offset. Am I right??
Paranormal Patroler
whimsical wrote:
@Paranormal Patroler

I keep getting back to this module and I just saw your post. Thank you, I'd be very happy to see a patch that would include just CV at the inputs: sequencers, LFOs, ADSRS, whatever you think would make a clear example. I'm happy to learn the module can process CV. It's now on my list of wants as it is very much in the heart of things I like to get my hands on. Very much looking forward to reporting back after I get it.
droningspaghettimonster
Mine arrived today. Been scratching my head a bit, but having a lot of fun none the less. The potential in this unit is enormous. Very happy with it.
autopoiesis
whimsical wrote:
It is interesting to note that the MAC output will provide an additional AUDIO output if you are feeding an audio signal into the SURVEY jack only. Some patch examples would definitely help here, though I don't know of a great system to illustrate said patches - recommendations / examples welcome.

This puzzles me, but I'm probably just not thinking laterally enough to grasp the implications of this. Why would someone want to put an audio signal into SURVEY and take it out of MAC? Wouldn't that just pass the signal through unchanged, with the offset knob having no effect on amplitude?

Just curious, as this clever module keeps turning up new surprising functions and I hope to account for every obvious one before I take the plunge!
whimsical
If you think of the MAC as an AC-coupled VCA (with 6-1 audio mixer), the SURVEY knob & jack are the VC-gain control for that VCA. The trick is that changing SURVEY also alters the DC-offset going into the VCA, crudely copying your input signal to the output. Turning the SURVEY knob actually changes the DC-point of the signal, so will skew your output toward positive or negative values depending. Due to the AC-coupling, this change in DC is blocked unless it moves at audio rates.

Interestingly, this is the source of the 'CV bleed' that some people have noted when trying to use Cold Mac as a standard VCA.

You could emulate this behaviour by:
- Use a VCA with the gain set to 12:00.
- Mult your audio signal to the VCA gain & audio inputs
Now changing the VCA-gain knob will emulate turning the SURVEY knob.

The idea of this patch is simply to add an additionally waveshaped output from Cold Mac, particularly if you want to expand a basic VCO.
autopoiesis
whimsical wrote:
Turning the SURVEY knob actually changes the DC-point of the signal, so will skew your output toward positive or negative values depending. Due to the AC-coupling, this change in DC is blocked unless it moves at audio rates.

I'm an utter noob to electronics, so forgive me if I'm misunderstanding, but it sounds to me like you're suggesting that we'd have to wiggle the SURVEY knob at an audio-rate frequency (even our infamous fap fap fap... guy wouldn't be quick enough) for this kind of waveshaping to be apparent in the signal taken out of MAC, as long as we're sending our audio signal into the SURVEY input. Wouldn't human-speed wiggles just introduce a DC component that MAC filters out?

Anyway, I don't mean to overscrutinize a fringe use case of this module. I was just hoping that this might be the key I was missing to being able to isolate audio signals when using them for the transfer functions as well as MAC (e.g., so you can use some audio signal X for envelope following but only get some other audio signal Y out of MAC).
whimsical
Yes indeed, you're correct.

I've updated the above post to correct my error. Of note is that the gain-cv input is DC-coupled (so will be affected by a different SURVEY knob setting), while the audio inputs will effectively only see the audio signal at SURVEY cv input, but not the knob.

So the difference you hear by turning the knob is in setting the mid-point of gain modulation.

///

Regarding more general use of the module for both audio & control rate, you can really think of the MAC circuit isolated from all of the other functions. It is the only AC coupled part of the circuit, and takes the 6 left inputs, and mixes them directly (and in a somewhat isolated fashion) to the MAC VCA into the output.

Perhaps the issue is more about the discussion of AC vs DC coupling. It is important to note AC-coupling doesn't actually mean "only passes audio" it really just means there's a high-pass filter on the signal. Thus if you send a really quick transient (like an envelope) some of it will pass through the filter, in a manner directly related to how steep the signal is.

Turning the knob by hand will be blocked almost completely by the AC-coupling, but even a slow envelope will bleed, particularly if it has a snappy attack. Try sending a very slow square LFO into an audio input and you'll see plenty of bleed on the MAC output, simply because the rate of change is so high.
autopoiesis
Thanks for the explanation. My comment about isolating audio signals is more to do with how you can't remove audio signals from the MAC mix, so it's not possible to do things like simultaneously FOLLOW one audio source and mix two others into MAC without also having the FOLLOWed signal added to the mix. In retrospect, that is completely tangential to the patch we've been discussing. But since you blew my mind recently with that signal inversion via FADE trick, I figured it was worth seeking some clarity on this remark that had me puzzled.
vqlk
hello i was looking at this module, as i'm in the market for a crossfader, and / or, and envelope follower.

the manual confuses me a little though: can i just check if it can perform these functions simultaneously on different signals?
autopoiesis
vqlk wrote:
hello i was looking at this module, as i'm in the market for a crossfader, and / or, and envelope follower.

the manual confuses me a little though: can i just check if it can perform these functions simultaneously on different signals?

Yep, you can patch the two signals you want to crossfade into the 'left' and 'right' inputs and take the crossfading mix out of one of their output jacks, while at the same time patching the signal you want to envelope follow into the 'slope' input and get the cv output from the 'follow' jack in the middle column. The two functions can be used separately without the signals bleeding together, but they will all inevitably be summed together in the AC-coupled 'mac' output. It's this independent access (with the option of self-patching a complex web if you want) to so many utilities that makes Cold Mac such a great value.
dB4u
still figuring this guy out
noisejockey
Cold Mac owners: What's the Survey CV input expect, unipolar or bipolar, and what range? I didn't see that in the manual or on the various threads here.
noisejockey
Cold Mac owners: What's the Survey CV input expect, unipolar or bipolar, and what range? I didn't see that in the manual or on the various threads here.
enj_music
noisejockey wrote:

I'd imagine +/- 5V, since it's just added as an offset to the Survey CV. If you go past these thresholds, you get interesting results. If you're using it to control the MAC output volume, you can get clipping and distortion.

If you pipe audio into the survey input, you can asymmetrically distort it with the 6 transfer functions, by turning the Survey knob further to the left or further to the right. If the audio signal is >10Vpp, you will get distortion along the entire travel of the knob, but different shades of distortion depending on the position. See this instagram video I posted a couple days ago of using the Survey knob as an asymmetric distortion.

The video:
Cold Mac - Asymmetric Distortion

Brief patch notes:
3 Sisters self-oscillating sine chord (much louder than 5Vpp) into Survey input, turning the survey knob to get different distortion tones, Triatt is sending an offset into the Span input on the Three Sisters to get different intervals. If you wanted to voltage control this variable distortion, you could mix the input audio with a CV source. I highly recommend trying this - some very warm 'n' fuzzy sounds.
noisejockey
Just wanted to share that an multi-channel attenuverter or attenuverting mixer like the Intellijel TriAtt really makes Cold Mac come to life. Want Survey to control only some parameters? Patch in the TriAtt as a voltage source for what you want to control separately.

Want more control over mixing? Gain control over the insert mix channel (Offset) when L and R are patched by just using TriAtt as an audio attenuator. While the concept of patch surveillance is super unique and interesting, Cold Mac can be used in a more surgical way, if desired, with something like the TriAtt. As enj_music pointed out, flipping a channel ±10V makes even more craziness.

My new 6U rig is just a Sputnik Keyboard and mostly Mannequins modules, and Cold Mac is the only mixer. But with three channels of input, it reminds me a little of using an Optomix. But with built in waveshaping/rectifying, slewing, and envelope following. ALL AT ONCE.
autopoiesis
noisejockey wrote:
Just wanted to share that an multi-channel attenuverter or attenuverting mixer like the Intellijel TriAtt really makes Cold Mac come to life. Want Survey to control only some parameters? Patch in the TriAtt as a voltage source for what you want to control separately.

Want more control over mixing? Gain control over the insert mix channel (Offset) when L and R are patched by just using TriAtt as an audio attenuator. While the concept of patch surveillance is super unique and interesting, Cold Mac can be used in a more surgical way, if desired, with something like the TriAtt. As enj_music pointed out, flipping a channel ±10V makes even more craziness.

My new 6U rig is just a Sputnik Keyboard and mostly Mannequins modules, and Cold Mac is the only mixer. But with three channels of input, it reminds me a little of using an Optomix. But with built in waveshaping/rectifying, slewing, and envelope following. ALL AT ONCE.

Yep ! I always keep my Cold Mac parked vertically or horizontally adjacent to a crossfade-modded TBVCA for this reason and together they serve as the main cortical hub for my system. Pretty much never use the first bank of my Disting anymore for this reason.
shreeswifty
i found that initially i thought ok i plug one thing in and i'll get all this fancy CV outs was not the case but after the 2nd or third input addition the thing becomes just super intriguing.

I recently visited Control in Brooklyn who had earlier in the week had done a monome ISMs workshop of some sort so one of the guys was demo-ing the Cold Mac for a potential customer and i was following along and when he started explaining it i interjected the tiny epiphany i had discovered wit hit and as he patched more and more the module just started getting more and more amazing. and really the cool part of it for me is that you can get a really nice "melange" and then with one know turn everything into something else. It has survived two vigorous "what have you done for me lately?" modular inquisitions in my system and it's won it's permanent status in my case
search64
Cool! I'm sold. I really love the idea of using that one knob as a sort of total patch controller.
autopoiesis
search64 wrote:
Cool! I'm sold. I really love the idea of using that one knob as a sort of total patch controller.

That all said, though, if you really really want one knob to rule the patch in a meta-control fashion, you should give Frames a hard look. It won't allow you to crossfade signals into analog logic operators, allow you to crossfade between a signal and its rectified version, etc. like Cold Mac will, but it affords uniquely precise control over how offset voltages and input attenuation levels should change over time. Cold Mac's flavor of meta-control is more suited to experimenting (at a comparative expense of precise control) and producing variations of related signals, while Frames's is more suited to deliberative "patch programming" that you can unfold via its one big knob.

Something to keep in mind. I have both and fully expect to keep both.
basicbasic
Patching a sine into one channel and then patching it all back in on itself makes for some interesting CV-able waveshaping too.
enj_music
basicbasic wrote:
Patching a sine into one channel and then patching it all back in on itself makes for some interesting CV-able waveshaping too.

Patching what all back into what part of itself?
basicbasic
enj_music wrote:
basicbasic wrote:

Patching what all back into what part of itself?

Try patching any output back into any input - maybe throw some RYO Airtenuators or some VCAs between as well.

Monitor via Mac out.
fever606
search64 wrote:
I really love the idea of using that one knob as a sort of total patch controller.

The Survey knob (and the "Patch Surveillance" video) are what sold me on Cold Mac... currently searching for the slowest LFO I can find to patch into it! Mr. Green

basicbasic wrote:
Try patching any output back into any input - maybe throw some RYO Airtenuators or some VCAs between as well.

Monitor via Mac out.

Well, now I know what I'm doing tomorrow... This is fun!
loachhat
What's that you say? w00t

noisejockey
Dat's patchin' tings propah!

loachhat wrote:
What's that you say? w00t

barksten
I got mine today. I've read all the manuals, watched att the videos and thought I was prepared. My quick patch with it ended up in something much more complex I could never have imagined. It just happened. I didn't have a clue what was going on. Scary, but fun.
Anyway, the panel have a slightly different color tone than the other Mannequins modules (I have one of each). It's more "warm", brownish gray. Is that normal?
Is it some kind of surface coating that will change with time?
droningspaghettimonster
the logic functions work absolute magic with tempo synced lfos and a vca or two. audio damage sequencer 1 tides and cold mac are my favorite combo for droning modulation these days. love
whimsical
@barksten
This is natural variation in the raw aluminium colour. We unfortunately don't have any control over how this works and our supplier won't commit to providing panels with a consistent hue.

So yes, it's part of the charm of small scale manufacturing!
guestt
Booooooooom!!!!

I've had this a few weeks, maybe longer and never really connected, I was like WTF? seriously, i just don't get it

...but last night it all suddenly made sense - whoa!!!!

Some seriously strange noises coming from my modular - excellent! thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

Want all the others ion the collection now... damn! very frustrating
Accent
I'm eagerly awaiting delivery of one of these, trying to wrap my head around it. Gonna be pairing it with a Benjolin and Maths. nanners
restlessboy
I think from the moment I saw this module, with its 20 patch points and single knob, and thought 'what the actual fuck is that?' I kind of knew I was always going to get one.

Just picked it up from Cymru Beats to go with my Mangrove and Three Sisters. Super complex micro-patching here I come!
GYS
Hey there Cold Mac crew. Has anyone out there used this as a logic module for drum triggers to get rhythmically pleasing variations? I've owned mine for a while, but like many others, having a tough time wrapping my head around it. I'm currently planning out the rest of my system with a focus on drum and rhythm modules and am wondering if I can get away with using Cold Mac instead of a dedicated logic module like the Doepfer A-166. Thanks for any insight. I plan on experimenting, but finding it a very confounding module. Haven't had my magic moment with it yet! MY ASS IS BLEEDING
eBerkhout
There might be a way to do what you're after with it, but Cold Mac is an analogue logic module whereas you'll probably want digital logic to do what you're talking about. That is 'digital' in that the module only takes notice of whether an input/output is on or off, as opposed to a constantly variable voltage where anything above/below a certain level is ignored/inverted/etc.
GYS
eBerkhout wrote:
There might be a way to do what you're after with it, but Cold Mac is an analogue logic module whereas you'll probably want digital logic to do what you're talking about. That is 'digital' in that the module only takes notice of whether an input/output is on or off, as opposed to a constantly variable voltage where anything above/below a certain level is ignored/inverted/etc.

I tried it out using mostly gates for inputs, a mishmash of gates/CV for the middle section, and then outputs to various drum triggers (and a few drum parameters). It did work...in a very strange way. The rhythm was pretty interesting and not totally bonkers chaotic. It added a lot of shuffle to certain drums which was unexpected. I dig it, but also think a digital logic module would still be good to have. Really wish I could find a PM Logic Banks module, but a Doepfer A-166 Dual Logic will work pretty well too I think. Thanks for the reply!
patilon
a question about the cold macs behaviour..
i didn´t check all the functions in detail so far, but i already have an issue using left and right input (the two vcos of the verbos complex oscillator) and going from "left" or "right"-out into my mixer.
when checking with only one signal there is noticable bleed with the survey-knob turned fully clockwise + at the end a kind of wavefolded distorded noise is added (DR-100_0552.mp3)
with two vcos this is the result: DR-100_0551.mp3

could someone who owns cold mac and the complex oscillator check if he experiences a similiar result? when i strongly attenuate the signals before the inputs distortion/bleed is gone.
strangely this happens only with the complex oscillator. with most other vcos i get bleed but no distortion, but i found 1-2 other vco-waveform-outputs going into cold mac also leading
to at least a slight amount of distortion.
is this an issue which can be fixed?
patilon
noone?

i contacted Mannequins as well.. no reaction so far seriously, i just don't get it
sgnhh
GYS wrote:
Hey there Cold Mac crew. Has anyone out there used this as a logic module for drum triggers to get rhythmically pleasing variations? I've owned mine for a while, but like many others, having a tough time wrapping my head around it. I'm currently planning out the rest of my system with a focus on drum and rhythm modules and am wondering if I can get away with using Cold Mac instead of a dedicated logic module like the Doepfer A-166. Thanks for any insight. I plan on experimenting, but finding it a very confounding module. Haven't had my magic moment with it yet! :omg:

i believe that i had success patching two zorlon cannon gates into the AND inputs-- output only went high when the two gates were engaged. that said, this definitely won't do everything the a-166 does.
robvec
Hi patilion

Just checking it out now with a scope (I don't have the CO but used other VCOs:

Bleed - I get something similar. With an input in Left IN and turning survey fully CW - the left out signal does not completely disappear. I added a further offset to survey and actually this increases the signal coming from Left out rather than closing it.

Distortion - I also get this. I can sound quite pleasing.

So I suppose this is normal behaviour.

Please let us know what Mannequins say about it though!
search64
If you think it's unacceptable, I'll happily take it off your hands hihi
patilon
thank you very much for your help robvec! i will!

for some purposes the result is indeed unacceptable.. in this case it´s still possible to attenuate the signals before the inputs.
so far i´m more convinced of three sisters and mangrove than with cold mac. a modul with such a strong "tool"-character
should work in a more flawless and clean way at least for my taste.
robvec
No problem. All of the mannequins modules have their quirks. None of them behave quite how I expected (despite extensive reading...) but each has totally surpassed my expectation in loads of ways. So fun and playable, just like modular should be!
search64
patilon wrote:
thank you very much for your help robvec! i will!

for some purposes the result is indeed unacceptable.. in this case it´s still possible to attenuate the signals before the inputs.
so far i´m more convinced of three sisters and mangrove than with cold mac. a modul with such a strong "tool"-character
should work in a more flawless and clean way at least for my taste.

Right, the offer stands. Let me know if you wish to sell.
patilon
right place for that search64: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=75
loachhat
Think he's on holiday, though doing some creative work wrapping up Just Type and whatever's next while on the road.
patilon
thanks for the information!
patilon
resumee... i wrote three e-mails over the last month - no response.
great support Mannequins..
bobbcorr
patilon wrote:
'

Try Twitter too, I understand he was out of the country for a while.
patilon
never used twitter.. so no idea how this thing works zombie
i doubt it´s expected too much to get an e-mail answered within a month
but as it seems that cold macs behaviour is normal i give it another
month to see if anybody is willing to answer.
jwise
patilon wrote:

Izzy was very responsive to my emails and the servicing of my Just Friends. I know it's said all the time here in the forums, but be patient people. These creators often work outside their modular endeavor as only a few can make livings from this. For those that are also musicians they may be in another country. We are all benefiting from this bespoke industry and as Tim Churches recently more or less said, "This isn't a traditional product designed, manufactured and sold by a single entity -- it's a post-capitalist artifact of the after-hours sharing economy" and we explorers of sound are the winners for it. So give these guys a break and try to be patient, regardless of how impatient we might be to want to play with our amazing toys.
rikrak
Just got my brand new Cold Mac and I see that the panel graphic has changed.

The current manual seems to refer to the old panel (eg under NORMALLED CONNECTIONS, "The panel graphics incorrectly suggest OR(2) is normalled to AND(2)." - which is no longer the case.

The other changes are a (-) on LEFT and (+) on RIGHT and an (S) (to denote normalization to SURVEY) next to FADE, OR(2), AND(2) and SLOPE.
anosou
rikrak wrote:

The current manual seems to refer to the old panel (eg under NORMALLED CONNECTIONS, "The panel graphics incorrectly suggest OR(2) is normalled to AND(2)." - which is no longer the case.

The other changes are a (-) on LEFT and (+) on RIGHT and an (S) (to denote normalization to SURVEY) next to FADE, OR(2), AND(2) and SLOPE.

Interesting! Mind snapping a photo of your new-panel-Cold Mac?
robvec
+1 for a photo

And check out this thread for some interesting patches including how to make your new CM become a noise source, oscillator, wave folder and more w00t

https://llllllll.co/t/cold-mac-ideas/3840/4
mdoudoroff
robvec wrote:

And check out this thread for some interesting patches including how to make your new CM become a noise source, oscillator, wave folder and more w00t

That Cold Mac Ideas thread is just amazing. It’s like a Serge Tcherepnin fever-dream.
anosou
robvec wrote:
+1 for a photo

HOW have I not seen this!? Dead Banana
rikrak
robvec wrote:
+1 for a photo

Great! Thanks for the link!

Here's a photo:

robvec
I know right? My favorite is the noise generator. The great thing is you can still use most of cold macs functions at the same time.

Noise patch:
Patch Crease OUT to Survey
Listen to any output and turn survey - you'll hear white noise kick in at certain points. Different points will have different qualities and each output has a slightly different flavour of noise. Cold quantum rainbow!
anosou
rikrak wrote:
robvec wrote:
+1 for a photo

Great! Thanks for the link!

Here's a photo:

Ah, cool! Thanks for that. I'm thinking about buying a second Cold Mac, one lives in my keyboard rig but I'm missing it in my rack. The new panel actually helps a lot so should probably order direct to make sure I get that.
risome
CMI thread is nice thanks Miley Cyrus
ntkrw
rikrak wrote:

Oh I am gonna buy the Cold Mac, may I know where to get this new panel module?
risome
I guess if you buy one new it will come with the nu panel Miley Cyrus
rikrak
ntkrw wrote:
rikrak wrote:

Oh I am gonna buy the Cold Mac, may I know where to get this new panel module?

I bought mine in the UK from Cymru Beats. Why not email your usual vendor so they can confirm it is from the latest batch.
Aaronautical001
eBerkhout wrote:

I've been trying to Understand the logic aspects f cold Mac, and was rereading this thread for insight.

Can anyone explain the difference between analog and digital logic as used above? I'm thinking this might be help me understand the cold Mac logic.

eBerkhout, chime in if you you see this
wm.wragg
For OR and AND, analog logic is essentially the same as digital logic, it just appears different as it is working on continuous values, rather than discrete ones:

AND:

Digital - will only return a high when both inputs are high, othewise returns low
Analog - returns the minumim of the two inputs

OR:

Digital - returns a high when either of its inputs is high, otherwise returns a low
Analog - returns the maximum of the two inputs

So if you just send the analog logic highs and lows, then they have the same behviour as the digital version, but if you send them inbetween values, they will still give you something out. If you send continuously changing signals through analog logic you get min/max waveforms out.
richc90
exactly. the little diagram Mutable use in the context of their Kinks module is really helpful to visualise analog logic

MAX = "maximum peaks" = Analog OR
MIN = "minimum peaks" = Analog AND
Aaronautical001
You guys rock SlayerBadger!

So, for someone who was used to the use of digital logic, I hadn't realised that min and max were analog logic. But this completely chimes in with the terminology in cold Mac. d'oh!

And as for processing gates, it makes sense. I dont have a scope yet, so was using BIA to detect the outgoing logic pattern.however, this was confounded by too long a pulse width and I was getting a single hit on the BIA.

Thanks for explaining thumbs up
mcphable
Brilliant explanation for Analog vs Digital AND and OR! Helpful visual!
BaloErets
richc90 wrote:
exactly. the little diagram Mutable use in the context of their Kinks module is really helpful to visualise analog logic

MAX = "maximum peaks" = Analog OR
MIN = "minimum peaks" = Analog AND

The 4ms SISM also has some really nice demonstrations of the Slice +/Slice - outputs (Essentially Min/Max outputs of the sum of up to 4 signals). These visuals are really useful in understanding your signal output. But you know it's so funny; I've had both a Kinks and a SISM in my rack for quite sometime now. I've used their Max/Min on occasion, but never even remotely to their potential. I would say I used them more as related somewhat chaotic modulation, rather than for their utilitarian provisions.

And yet, playing with the Cold Mac, it really made me appreciate the more subtle necessity of rectification and these positive/negative only voltage outputs.

And then to be provided an offset voltage for the floor/ceiling and it's like This is fun!

And then to be able to have voltage control over that floor/ceiling, that's like MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING

And then I look at the Cold Mac and my Sequential Switch Matrix, and my brain just fucking explodes and I die Dead Banana
nostalghia
Posting here as it seems to have the most recent activity out of the various Cold Mac related threads.

It's been unavailable for some time now-any news? I see a note at the bottom of the Cold Mac page on the Whimsical Raps site stating "Back Autumn 2018" (same for the W/). Anyone heard anything? Shipping again soon now?

I have the "holy trinity" of Mangrove, Three Sisters and Just Friends (and really like them all), but never was interested enough in Cold Mac. Kind of wanting to try one now for some reason.

Folks that have had one for a long time-do you still use it often? Or did you eventually sell it or find you preferred something else with similar functions?
mdoudoroff
nostalghia wrote:
It's been unavailable for some time now-any news? I see a note at the bottom of the Cold Mac page on the Whimsical Raps site stating "Back Autumn 2018" (same for the W/). Anyone heard anything? Shipping again soon now?

Like most small producers who can’t afford to have lots of inventory sitting around, WR makes 2-3 batches of each module per year. If you want to be sure, you could probably pre-order one from Control or Control Voltage.
nostalghia
mdoudoroff wrote:

Like most small producers who can’t afford to have lots of inventory sitting around, WR makes 2-3 batches of each module per year. If you want to be sure, you could probably pre-order one from Control or Control Voltage.

Thanks. Makes sense, I was sort of already aware that they don't make production runs as frequently or in the same kind of quantity that say, a Make Noise or Intellijel does.

Didn't think to check Control Voltage (have yet to order from them, usually go with Control, DM or Perfect Circuit).
And the answer to my question was right there on the CV preorder page for Cold Mac: "The ETA from Mannequines is "by the 2nd week of November" ". So thanks for the tip!

No current listings for used ones that I can see anywhere (certainly possible I may have overlooked one somewhere), guess owners are hanging on to theirs.
GYS
nostalghia wrote:
Folks that have had one for a long time-do you still use it often? Or did you eventually sell it or find you preferred something else with similar functions?

I was like you. Had the trinity and then had to have Cold Mac just to complete the set. I still haven't really had my breakthrough moment with it even after owning it for years, but I can't seem to part with it. From what I have gathered from others, once you have an "Ah ha!" moment, it's in pretty much every patch, so I'm holding out.

Cold Mac is a real head scratcher for me as it's difficult to visualize what it would do to a patch. It's a lot of trial and error for me, but what I probably need to do is focus on it for a few sessions and write down some notes and applications of it.
diasporos
nostalghia wrote:
Posting here as it seems to have the most recent activity out of the various Cold Mac related threads.

I have the "holy trinity" of Mangrove, Three Sisters and Just Friends (and really like them all), but never was interested enough in Cold Mac. Kind of wanting to try one now for some reason.

I’ve had two of them for more than a year and I use them in every possible way, they’re like a hub of control pipelines to me, together with a couple of MI Links for multing and mixing them. I start with the random voltages and gates from an SSF URA as a source then I cross patch between the Cold Macs and utilize all the logic in/outs, rectifier, offset, crossfaders, across both then I feed my Mobenthey system. Used to have a mangrove too but sold it. I’m sticking to Benjolin and Mobenthey as my sound and the ‘macs really are IT!
jwise
diasporos wrote:
I’ve had two of them for more than a year and I use them in every possible way, they’re like a hub of control pipelines to me, together with a couple of MI Links for multing and mixing them. I start with the random voltages and gates from an SSF URA as a source then I cross patch between the Cold Macs and utilize all the logic in/outs, rectifier, offset, crossfaders, across both then I feed my Mobenthey system. Used to have a mangrove too but sold it. I’m sticking to Benjolin and Mobenthey as my sound and the ‘macs really are IT!

You could probably do a few people a favor by posting a short video of just such a setup and demonstrate what kind of sound you are taking out of it.
diasporos
jwise wrote:
diasporos wrote:

You could probably do a few people a favor by posting a short video of just such a setup and demonstrate what kind of sound you are taking out of it.

That’s a good idea. I can only take an iPhone video so the sound won’t be great, but I’ll do this on Saturday night. People will get a kick out of it!
Sunden
For me it’s not about a certain sound, it’s more of just a Swiss Army knife. Say I have stepped modulation that I want to be skewed, or some pitch modulation which I want portamento on, then I use the follower.

Say I want to pan a mono signal back and forth into a stereo effect, or into two delays with different times, or two totally independent processing chains, then use the cross fader as a panner with one in and two outs.

Say I want to cross fade between two modulation sources for a filter cutoff, one a random stepped modulation and one some lfos, then I use the cross fader with two ins and just one out.

Say I want to create some new gate patterns, use the logic section.

These are all basic utility, uses, but they are good ways to get you started feeling comfortable with it before doing some more wacky self-patching, and it’s great being able to do them all simultaneously with one module.
mdoudoroff
Quote:
These are all basic utility, uses, but they are good ways to get you started feeling comfortable with it before doing some more wacky self-patching, and it’s great being able to do them all simultaneously with one module.

To expand on what Sunden said, I think it bears repeating that—just like Maths—Cold Mac does nothing magical, per se. If you break it down, Cold Mac is just a bunch of basic utility circuits. Also, like Maths, Cold Mac has developed a mystique based on its inscrutability. Unlike Maths*, there’s probably no single task that Cold Mac does better than any more-focused utility module would. However, I think three big things make Cold Mac unique:

1. sheer density: Cold Mac is maybe 3 or 4 utility modules collapsed into a single 8HP module; so yes, Cold Mac could be quite attractive for small systems, and it probably was conceived with a small system in mind, since that’s what Trent Gil seems to himself favor; it’s a lot of functionality for the money (US$180)

2. lower-level functional design: most utility modules are designed with a primary use-case foremost in mind (a design bias) that the panel design strongly reflects, and therefore basic operation is usually somewhat obvious and intuitive, even if there are additional, secondary ways to employ the module; Cold Mac has no such use-case bias, which is why it’s not even remotely evident what the module does by looking at it; put another way, Cold Mac does not offer a cross fader, but it offers a collection of circuits, some of which can be used to create a cross fader (or other things) if you understand them and use them accordingly (through patch programming)

3. the survey knob and cv: even when packaged together, most utility modules come with their own controls; with Cold Mac, there’s only one shared control; imagine having 3-4 more typical utility modules, but with rubber bands connecting the knobs so that when you turn one, they all turn; this is obviously a limitation if you’re thinking about functions in isolation, but has hypothetical potential as a macro control to introduce or shift the animation of different strands of your patch as they pass through Cold Mac

So, Cold Mac is really about patch programming, and arguably, it out-Serges Serge in that respect. You’ve really gotta commit to it, memorize how each bit affects your signals, master the normalizations, and integrate it all into your your process. As a whole greater than the sum of its parts, that might be truly magical to some folks. To others, it’s way more trouble than it’s worth.

*Maths is pretty much unparalleled as a voltage-controlled, slew-based envelope generator
Sunden
Oh I can’t believe I forgot to say this, but another classic way to use it is as 6 synced LFOs with different shapes by using a ramp to drive the survey cv with nothing parched to the inputs.

You can then start changing the shapes of the lfos with some self patching or by patching them out to the ramp that is driving survey.

I also completely had a dream last night that involved some cool way of using the rectification circuit and then the And/Or circuit I think, and I was really excited because I hardly ever use the and/or circuit and it was supposedly a really cool use and I was excited to share it on here, but now I have absolutely no idea what it was... smh...
mdoudoroff
Sunden wrote:
Oh I can’t believe I forgot to say this, but another classic way to use it is as 6 synced LFOs with different shapes by using a ramp to drive the survey cv with nothing parched to the inputs.

You can then start changing the shapes of the lfos with some self patching or by patching them out to the ramp that is driving survey.

Very good point. I will add this to my patching document.
Sunden
mdoudoroff wrote:
Sunden wrote:

Very good point. I will add this to my patching document.

Experimenting with the LFO that drives survey can start giving very interesting results.

First of all should note that with a ramp driving it, then the Crease output becomes a 180deg out of phase version of the Left out, while the Slope Out becomes a triangle wave with its peak at the start of the ramp wave driver's period.

Next, if you use a triangle wave to drive it, then the Left and Right outputs become triangle waves that are 180 degrees out of phase with each other and at half the frequency of the driving triangle wave. Meanwhile, the Slope out becomes a triangle wave at 2x the frequency of the driving triangle wave.

Then things will start getting quite interesting if you drive survey with non linear LFOs/LFOs that are being FM'd or self patched, etc.
diasporos
Couple of vids of my dual Cold Macs controlling my Mobenthey system and spreading the cv from the URA and Sport Modulator. Chaotic stuff is what I like so nothing “musical” here. First patch is mmmelodic and second is hhharmonic. Excuse the crappy iPhone mic sound.

potatobrain
At first it was like the Cold Mac is the only one module I cannot quite imaging purpose for. But since I was a beginner I found out that CM could do things I was eventually starting thinking about. I was lake: well I need to try panning my music: well, it can do that. Mixing? Can do. Mixing cv? Can do.

So it's like a testing ground for me to understand which modules I really need in my system.
mdoudoroff
Inspired by the recent dialogue here, I just made an update to my old Patching Cold Mac guide:

http://doudoroff.com/cold-mac/

Mainly, I added an introduction at the beginning and a patch surveillance example near the end.

My patch surveillance example is a little lame. I would love to replace it with a more compelling example, so if anyone here can propose one, I’m all ears!

hyper
Sunden
Just looking at this guide for the first time. I think one thing you might want to note in your "initial" section about the circuits in isolation is why the voltages rise like that for the Left and Right outs (namely because the voltage from the other channel is getting mixed in), and then you could show how to eliminate that you just patch in a dummy cable to the unused channel.
Sunden
Also, a note about "Location"
- it doesn't chase the input voltage. It is just the input voltage integrated. In other words, imagine the input voltage represents "velocity" and the output represents "position."

if you hold the input voltage at +.5v, the output will move towards 5v albeit very slowly, until it arrives at 5v and stops. Let's say you change it to -.5v, then it will start moving towards -5v slowly, until it reaches there. If you set the input to 5v, it will move towards +5v as rapidly as possible. If you set the input voltage to 0v, it will freeze in place because its velocity is now 0, so it holds its current position.

It is inaccurate to say the it chases the input voltage, but accurate to say it moves in the same direction as the input (aka positive or negative) with a rate proportional to the input voltage.
mdoudoroff
Sunden wrote:
Also, a note about "Location"
- it doesn't chase the input voltage. It is just the input voltage integrated. In other words, imagine the input voltage represents "velocity" and the output represents "position."

if you hold the input voltage at +.5v, the output will move towards 5v albeit very slowly, until it arrives at 5v and stops. Let's say you change it to -.5v, then it will start moving towards -5v slowly, until it reaches there. If you set the input to 5v, it will move towards +5v as rapidly as possible. If you set the input voltage to 0v, it will freeze in place because its velocity is now 0, so it holds its current position.

It is inaccurate to say the it chases the input voltage, but accurate to say it moves in the same direction as the input (aka positive or negative) with a rate proportional to the input voltage.

Egad. Yeah, so much of this thing was drafted so long ago and… yeah… that whole section sucks. I just posted some quick corrections—including yours—but I need to re-write the section entirely. Thanks!
gb2
mdoudoroff
thanks for doing this at all!
your guide was the reason i got one, and even though i didn't spend enough time with it yet, i rearranged my whole rack to give it the center position - because i know it will do wonders to any patch!
vidret
Yeah, thx mdoud - when I first wondered what cm did that site of yours made it clear instantly, also the pics were great
autopoiesis
How's Cold Mac at envelope following? Can it track quickly, and is there much ripple?
liquidsn
Damn They are upping their boxing game! Great looking packaging!
Coldmac & w/

https://imgur.com/a/hB7k8jY
selfdestroyer
liquidsn wrote:
Damn They are upping their boxing game! Great looking packaging!
Coldmac & w/

https://imgur.com/a/hB7k8jY

Damn, I love their PCB covers they make to protect the back. Very nice touch!
adh82
Was just thinking about that. It would make for a good standard to adopt. Protects and adds awesome graphics to quick star card
0netwo0netwo
quick star card, what is that?
pinkflag16
I love the mystery of this module, but haven't had a chance to try one yet - it would look great next to my Sisters! I get what each individual function does, and think that the collection of utilities is certainly worth the price/hp, but judging from demos only, I've yet to hear a really musical application of unifying the functions together (surveilling, I guess). I've heard a lot of abrasive and chaotic noise, which is fine for the zillions of people who like that, but can someone point me to some more musical examples? Not meant to sound inflammatory, just clarifying what potential uses this has.
mdoudoroff
pinkflag16, at this time, the best demo of such I know of is this:

https://vimeo.com/260343825
selfdestroyer
mdoudoroff Thanks for that. I have never came across his videos before. I have found myself using my Cold Mac maily for mixing/crossfades and that about it at this point. It one of the modules I bought with knowing the functions it "can" do but I am also having a hard time seeing how they all interact.

One of the hard things for me is doing self patching on the Cold Mac, it hurts my head in a way that I need to overcome quickly.
pinkflag16
mdoudoroff wrote:
pinkflag16, at this time, the best demo of such I know of is this:

https://vimeo.com/260343825

Thanks! I jumped around a bit, and didn't hear too much specific to the CM except for the offset and panning thing, but I'll give it another watch when I have more time.
mdoudoroff
selfdestroyer wrote:
mdoudoroff Thanks for that. I have never came across his videos before. I have found myself using my Cold Mac maily for mixing/crossfades and that about it at this point. It one of the modules I bought with knowing the functions it "can" do but I am also having a hard time seeing how they all interact.

One of the hard things for me is doing self patching on the Cold Mac, it hurts my head in a way that I need to overcome quickly.

While I think any module deserves to thoroughly explored, and it’s a useful challenge to dig in, there’s absolutely no shame at all in using the utilitarian components of Cold Mac (or Maths or really any other module) for rudimentary, un-sexy purposes.
mdoudoroff
I made a quick ’n dirty video demo of “patch surveillance”. Maybe some of you will find it helpful?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvvtRtV9bJw

I might get around to redoing this eventually with a better patch and an actual script. As it is, my impromptu description of the Location circuit is nonsense—please disregard.
selfdestroyer
Great stuff.. thanks mdoudoroff
jameswalk
Brilliant mdoudoroff, really helpful.
Appreciative
XiXora
A true master of the Mac.
mdoudoroff
XiXora wrote:
A true master of the Mac.

Ha ha! Hardly. Nope! Not even close. But I’m giving it another shot. More to come.
nrg242
any new mdoudoroff video is extremely helpful. thanks for this one.
jarcorbo
Thanks for the video and patch ideas!
mdoudoroff
[cross-post] Pleased to announce a vast overhaul of my Patching Cold Mac documentation. I’ve added quite a bit of new information and—I hope—clarity. If you see any errors, please let me know!

screaming goo yo
XiXora
Ah, lovely. My Cold Mac just arrived. I'll give this a good read (again).
Kohlhofer
mdoudoroff wrote:
(in the manual) As a whole greater than the sum of its parts, Cold Mac might be truly delightful to some folks, while others will run away screaming. Either way, you’re not wrong.

That made me happy. Nicely done. I have perceviered largely because of your great manual.
selfdestroyer
mdoudoroff wrote:
[cross-post] Pleased to announce a vast overhaul of my Patching Cold Mac documentation. I’ve added quite a bit of new information and—I hope—clarity. If you see any errors, please let me know!

screaming goo yo

Thanks for the heads up!

Your updated photos helped me immensely to visualize this madness.
danfastlikeflan
Thanks for the great write up! It really clears up a lot of the mystique
mdoudoroff
Today I sorted out how to pretty much reproduce the LOCATION circuit behavior in MATHS. The patch monopolizes one slew and the mixer, leaving one slew channel completely free.

You start with the basic full wave rectification patch for MATHS, mult your bipolar input signal into the template (inputs 2 and 3) and also to input 1 (or 4—whichever slew you want to use). The OR output goes to BOTH on the appropriate slew. Crank RISE and FALL, set the response to linear, and make sure the slews aren’t leaking into the mixer, and set the attenuverters for channels 2 and 3 to about 9pm and 3pm, respectively. Take unity out from the appropriate slew.

You can tweak the behavior by carefully adjusting the various knobs. For example, nudging the slew response toward logarithmic is a great way to really slow things down.

Sunden
This is a nice patch!

I haven’t tried it out yet but I don’t believe it is quite accurate (not that it matters it’s still cool!).

Using the full wave rectifier to make the rate of change proportional to the magnitude of the control input voltage is ace, but to me, this looks like the output voltage will ultimately stop at the control input voltage. Correct me if I’m wrong about that. That is not true for location; it will keep going past the input voltage until it reaches the +5 or -5 wall depending on if the input is positive or negative.

You need some sort of comparator between the control signal and the maths ch. 1 slewing input. The comparator should output +X when the control signal is positive and -X when the control signal is negative. X is just whatever your desired min/max wall is.

I actually never thought to send in negative voltage to the slewing inputs, didn’t realize that unity output was bipolar!
mdoudoroff
Sunden wrote:
This is a nice patch!

I haven’t tried it out yet but I don’t believe it is quite accurate (not that it matters it’s still cool!).

Using the full wave rectifier to make the rate of change proportional to the magnitude of the control input voltage is ace, but to me, this looks like the output voltage will ultimately stop at the control input voltage. Correct me if I’m wrong about that. That is not true for location; it will keep going past the input voltage until it reaches the +5 or -5 wall depending on if the input is positive or negative.

On paper you’re right, but in actuality, LOCATION doesn’t do that. If in the input voltage is slightly greater or slightly less than 0v, then the voltage will gamely climb or fall to around 3.6v or -3.6v, and then stop. To get it to go further, you have to apply proportionately more voltage, and even then, it tops out at about 4.2v (or -4.2v). If you drive it with a full 10v (or -10v) you can get it up to 4.5v (-4.5v).

I’ll try to record this all on video at some point soon.

The MATHS patch produces slightly different (more predictable, more adjustable) results, but it’s all pretty close for practical purposes.

Quote:
I actually never thought to send in negative voltage to the slewing inputs, didn’t realize that unity output was bipolar!

Oh yeah.
mdoudoroff
Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9ti1SuSn6g

Tried out my new lav mic for this, which went well. Also, my new phone seems less prone to overheating, which bodes well for future videos!
Accent
I found this really informative. Thank you for making the video.
propertyof
mdoudoroff
Any video documentation from the Demystifying Cold Mac class at Ctrl-mod for us who live in different part of the world?

My Cold Mac just arrived today, right now I’m diving into your manual. Many thanks for this!
mdoudoroff
propertyof wrote:
mdoudoroff
Any video documentation from the Demystifying Cold Mac class at Ctrl-mod for us who live in different part of the world?

No, but I am going to try to create a video. Success is not certain. Wish me luck!
propertyof
Great looking forward to it! Thank you & good luck! thumbs up
smurf
mdoudoroff wrote:
propertyof wrote:
mdoudoroff

No, but I am going to try to create a video. Success is not certain. Wish me luck!

Fantastic! I have learnt a great deal from your videos. Thanks!
nrg242
mdoudoroff wrote:
propertyof wrote:
mdoudoroff

that would be amazing. had to bail on the class at the last minute and would love to catch some of the pearls.
medium Rob
What is it about Cold Mac that's so slippery / difficult to explain / confusing? Is it so oblique / ambiguous, or is it straightforward? Is it a multi-purpose / multi-function module like Maths? Could its functionality / purpose be summed up in a sentence or two? Apologies if beating a dead horse..
Sunden
It is a utility Swiss Army knife, made up of 6 so different functional blocks. What makes it unique is some clever normalizations and the ability to use one control signal to affect them all simultaneously.

The utilities are all DC- Coupled:
- cross fader/panner
- analog or (maximum circuit)
- analog and (minimum circuit)
- fullwave rectifier and an envelope follower
- an intereasting wave “creaser”
- an integrator

There’s also a 6-channel mixer with a VCA on the output.

It’s actually quite straightforward, as the utilities are all pretty easy to understand. The panel graphics on newer modules also make all the normalizations clearer so it’s all around much easier to understand!
mdoudoroff
Ok, new video:

https://youtu.be/A72eYNfxxRU

This covers about 90% of what we went through on Wednesday at Control, but in about half the time. razz
Accent
mdoudoroff wrote:
Ok, new video:

https://youtu.be/A72eYNfxxRU

This covers about 90% of what we went through on Wednesday at Control, but in about half the time. razz

You are a scholar and a gentleman. I’ve had Cold Mac for a few years now, and while it is one of my favorite modules and I’ve come to more or less grok what it’s doing, this video put it into plain view for me. Looking forward to getting stuck into it and falling in love with it all over again in the coming weeks with this knowledge. Cheers. applause SlayerBadger! we're not worthy
mdoudoroff
Accent wrote:
I’ve had Cold Mac for a few years now, and while it is one of my favorite modules and I’ve come to more or less grok what it’s doing, this video put it into plain view for me. Looking forward to getting stuck into it and falling in love with it all over again in the coming weeks with this knowledge. Cheers. applause SlayerBadger! we're not worthy

Mission accomplished! thumbs up
Happiness Forever
[quote="Accent"]
mdoudoroff wrote:
Ok, new video:

V. recently got me a Cold Mac, this video comes at just the perfect time.
THANKS!! applause
in_sherman
mdoudoroff, your video is a great aid for understanding this creative tool and is a nice compliment to your written manual.
Pighood
Would there be a reason to replace my Function with Cold Mac to sit beside my Maths?
mdoudoroff
Pighood wrote:
Would there be a reason to replace my Function with Cold Mac to sit beside my Maths?

Maybe. Maybe not. Does Cold Mac offer anything you want?
srogers
I don’t have Cold Mac (yet?) but that video was extremely helpful to break it down! I am slowly but surely getting more and more into Mannequins & Monome stuff so there may be one in my near future.
magneteyez
Thank you so much for helping us to understand this module better.
propertyof
mdoudoroff thank you so much for doing this!
thumbs up SlayerBadger! w00t
fluxsignal
Here's some advanced logic operators on Cold Mac!

Logical NAND Operator
Gate 1 > AND1
Gate 2 > AND2
AND(OUT) > FADE
+5V Offset > OFFSET
RIGHT(OUT) = Gate 1 NAND Gate 2

Logical XOR operator
Gate 1 > OR1, AND1 (normalled, no mult needed)
Gate 2 > OR2, AND2 (mult/stackable needed, or patch to SURVEY CV with SURVEY knob at 0V)
AND(OUT) > FADE
OR(OUT) > OFFSET
RIGHT(OUT) = OFFSET-FADE = Gate 1 XOR Gate 2
insoul8
What are some creative uses for follow and location on the cold mac? I don't seem to use them very much thus far.
mdoudoroff
insoul8 wrote:
What are some creative uses for follow and location on the cold mac? I don't seem to use them very much thus far.

Follow: extract amplitude CV from sound from microphone or tape input? As long as you get your audio signal up into modular levels, it does work as a rudimentary envelope follower.

It’ll also simply smooth out jagged stuff. For example, my Zadar can produce some very complex, spiky “envelopes” (feature, not bug), but I can smooth them right out with Follow:

Location: I would love to hear some new creative uses for Location. It’s such a peculiar beastie. All I’ve got for you is the sort of patch surveillance I demonstrated above:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2961540#2961540

The key is that Location is going to put out about ±4.2v, but often somewhat less of a range, so you’re looking for applications where a laggy, rising/falling quasi-subtle voltage shift would be interesting. I would think bipolar parameters (timbre controls, effects, …) are going to work best.
mdoudoroff
Some interesting ideas here:

https://llllllll.co/t/cold-mac-ideas/3840
insoul8
mdoudoroff wrote:
Follow: extract amplitude CV from sound from microphone or tape input? As long as you get your audio signal up into modular levels, it does work as a rudimentary envelope follower.

It’ll also simply smooth out jagged stuff. For example, my Zadar can produce some very complex, spiky “envelopes” (feature, not bug), but I can smooth them right out with Follow:

Location: I would love to hear some new creative uses for Location. It’s such a peculiar beastie. All I’ve got for you is the sort of patch surveillance I demonstrated above:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2961540#2961540

The key is that Location is going to put out about ±4.2v, but often somewhat less of a range, so you’re looking for applications where a laggy, rising/falling quasi-subtle voltage shift would be interesting. I would think bipolar parameters (timbre controls, effects, …) are going to work best.

Thanks! Yea, the only time I really do use the follow circuit is to smooth out jagged envelopes but that doesn't come up that often. I'll try it an an env follower too. Still a brilliant module but those two circuits seem to be less useful at least for how I patch right now.
fluxsignal
A fun use for LOCATION is a "transition manager."

The basic idea is to offset the LOCATION output by about +5V so the range is around 0-10V. This lets it have no effect on a destination parameter when it is at its minimum, or a controllable (via attenuverters) affect on the parameter when it is at its maximum.

Once you've offset it, patch the offset version to several different parameters around your synthesizer, but ideally pass it through an individual attenuverter first for each parameter.

Set LOCATION so that it ramps to the minimum (the offset version is now outputting around 0V. Use the knobs for the parameters it is connected to set the "deault" preset for each parameter.

Set LOCATION so that it ramps to the maximum (the offset version is now outputting around +10V). Use the attenuverters to set the "alternate" preset for each parameter.

Now you can use the LOCATION input voltage to control how quickly you transition between your two presets. Setting the voltage to 0V will cause LOCATION to freeze in its tracks, leaving you with an interpolation of your two presets.

Something similar can be done with FOLLOW. You don't need to offset the voltage though since it is already 0-5V. In this example, changing the FOLLOW input voltage will simply slew between your "default" and "alternate" presets - default is at 0V input, alternate is at +/- 5V input.
fluxsignal
You can also use LOCATION to convert a (slow) bipolar square wave or triangle wave into a sine wave with variable amplitude. The frequency of the input wave will determine the amplitude. Depending on the original location of the survey circuit when the process begins, the output wave might have a DC offset.
insoul8
fluxsignal wrote:
A fun use for LOCATION is a "transition manager."

The basic idea is to offset the LOCATION output by about +5V so the range is around 0-10V. This lets it have no effect on a destination parameter when it is at its minimum, or a controllable (via attenuverters) affect on the parameter when it is at its maximum.

Once you've offset it, patch the offset version to several different parameters around your synthesizer, but ideally pass it through an individual attenuverter first for each parameter.

Set LOCATION so that it ramps to the minimum (the offset version is now outputting around 0V. Use the knobs for the parameters it is connected to set the "deault" preset for each parameter.

Set LOCATION so that it ramps to the maximum (the offset version is now outputting around +10V). Use the attenuverters to set the "alternate" preset for each parameter.

Now you can use the LOCATION input voltage to control how quickly you transition between your two presets. Setting the voltage to 0V will cause LOCATION to freeze in its tracks, leaving you with an interpolation of your two presets.

Something similar can be done with FOLLOW. You don't need to offset the voltage though since it is already 0-5V. In this example, changing the FOLLOW input voltage will simply slew between your "default" and "alternate" presets - default is at 0V input, alternate is at +/- 5V input.

fluxsignal wrote:
You can also use LOCATION to convert a (slow) bipolar square wave or triangle wave into a sine wave with variable amplitude. The frequency of the input wave will determine the amplitude. Depending on the original location of the survey circuit when the process begins, the output wave might have a DC offset.

Thanks for those! I'll certainly give them a try.
Godphaser
Just got mine, what an amazing module!
nomenklature
I just got mine, but was disappointed to discover that the crossfader section doesn't close all the way when passing audio. Has anyone else experienced this?

With separate audio sources patched into Left and Right, and the knob at either extreme, Left and Right outs should only contain one side, but there is a bit of channel bleed.
sutekina bipu-on
nomenklature wrote:
I just got mine, but was disappointed to discover that the crossfader section doesn't close all the way when passing audio. Has anyone else experienced this?

With separate audio sources patched into Left and Right, and the knob at either extreme, Left and Right outs should only contain one side, but there is a bit of channel bleed.

Yeah, it's not meant to completely cut out one side. Either way, i believe its intended behavior.
lisa
nomenklature: hm, I think mine does. Or well, I haven’t noticed any bleed. Is it very pronounced or just a whisper?
nomenklature
lisa wrote:
Is it very pronounced or just a whisper?

it's pretty pronounced, too noticeable to work as an audio crossfader
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 9