MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Equipment for Death Industrial
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Equipment for Death Industrial
frequencydecay
I make dark,brooding rhythmic industrial/noise music similar to Brighter Death Now, Anenzephalia,Haus Arafna, etc. I'm also looking at starting a death-sound-collage-industrial project similar to Nocturnal Emissions and Maurizio Bianchi once I get some more gear.

I'm thinking possibly getting a synth,sampler, and drum machine(and any other useful instruments). I'd not like to go over $850.

I know the MS-20 was used by Genocide Organ and Anenzephalia. And I've played with one and was able to get some great drones, so I know it would be a great fit. But, that would not leave much room for a sampler and my music isn't super synth based. I mainly need one for dark/distorted drones,pulses,noises, and harsh rhythms. If there's a cheaper one that'll work well I'd be happy to get it instead.

As for sampler(s), I'm totally lost. I'd mostly needed it for looping synth,creating rhythms, looping other sound sources. I just figured it'd be useful for repetitive hypnotic stuff. I know they are heavily used in the industrial genre and would open up lots of new possibilities for my music(I don't have one currently and feel like it's kind of restricting what I could be creating).

Any and all suggestions are appreciated, glad to be part of the forum
Soy Sos

On a limited budget? Go cheap and dirty, you'll have fun with this.
Statispulp
I always get the most brutal results with DIY stuff (Chris Carter style nanners ) because it's really unpredictable and messy and noisy, and cheap for these kinds of sounds. Best way to go if you ask me, but it's not for everyone.
cartoonbomb
if you wanna go really cheap, you could just get a portable device and use Piggy Tracker. It's not as hands on as a hardware sampler but it's really a great sample tracker. You can bitcrush, change pitch, filter, loop (so fast that you can make an oscillator) and do pretty much whatever you want on a per-step basis. It's free too. Works on, windows, osx, linux, psp, GamePark devices, and probably more now.

http://littlegptracker.com/
Soy Sos
Just for the hell of it I looked up some of your references.
What I hear is:
Drum machine - Any
Synth - Any
Samples - Any
Mixer - Any
Reverb/Delay - Any
Distortion - Many
Noise - Many

Honestly, I think the point of a lot of this music is aesthetic, mood,
experimentation, technique, and measured use of "distortion and noise".
I bet many of the early bands made do with what ever they could
get their hands on. I'd think with any computer based recording set up
you'd have to be on constant alert from getting too clean.
4 track cassette could be a way to go.
frequencydecay
Soy Sos wrote:
What I hear is:
Drum machine - Any
Synth - Any
Samples - Any
Mixer - Any
Reverb/Delay - Any
Distortion - Many
Noise - Many

Yeah I realized that pretty much any sampler/synth/drum machine will work. I was just wondering what would be the best for my situation so it would be a more permanent purchase and I could just work with 2 or 3 good peices of gear and some effects and not worry about getting new stuff.

I also already use a 4-track and no software. All I own for synth is a Monotron and no sampler or drum machine. I've made do with it for a while but I've saved up and figured it would be a good idea to get some new gear.
burnn_out!
Shouldn't be too hard to find a used ms-20 mini at an affordable price or even more affordable but still patchable the mircobrute. If you got an iOS device you could grab the Volca Sample and a Volca beats for drums. All for under $850 probably with cash to spare for a cheap nasty distortion pedal or two, if you go used.
frequencydecay
burnn_out! wrote:
Shouldn't be too hard to find a used ms-20 mini at an affordable price or even more affordable but still patchable the mircobrute. If you got an iOS device you could grab the Volca Sample and a Volca beats for drums. All for under $850 probably with cash to spare for a cheap nasty distortion pedal or two, if you go used.

I'm thinking I'm just gonna grab the ms-20 mini. It's at cheapest gonna be $450 on eBay. Then I'll just get one of those groove samplers and maybe a 550 or some other cheap drum machine. Maybe I'll have to stretch a little but I guess it's ok.

Still always wanting to hear cheaper options though.

I'm afraid a microbrute or minibrute wouldn't have those sounds I'm familiar with or nearly as many patching possiblilites. The Brutes seem like really character synths sort of. But if there's some other older synth that can conjure dark,brooding drones, and distorted noisy stuff too, hell, even digital, I'd love to hear about it if it's cheaper
Richard Wilder
An ensoniq mirage for 8 bit sampling, and it has an analog filter. Pretty arcane but criminally cheap. seriously, i just don't get it

Edit don't know if a mirage is what your describing, sorry. confused
Cybananna
Soy Sos wrote:
What I hear is:
Drum machine - Any
Synth - Any
Samples - Any
Mixer - Any
Reverb/Delay - Any
Distortion - Many
Noise - Many

This.

Literally any drum machine can sound pretty amazing through the right distortion pedal. Reverb for sure, but again, any should work out, you're not going for pristine real sounding reverb.

I had good luck with a crappy behringer mixer with the output back into the input creating a feedback loop then running a drum machine and a synth into that. It was pretty nasty

cheap ass behringer stuff should work well for mixers. A little his won't effect it.
pxlsndworlock
This is from the Brighter Death Now - Innerwar album

dan_k
Another +2 on the MS20. Used extensively by Hausa Arafna and Maurizio Bianchi as well.
beyourdog
Odyssey can be quite dirty and nasty too.,.
legionhwp
If you have an iPad and are looking to save $$ there is the IMS20 for around $30 Which will give you a virtual MS20 that will do the job (especially if you're going to them process it with pedals). You can pick up an older Ipad 2 or 3 for $250 or less on a good day and have access to tons of cheap sampler and noise apps as well.

I'm a hardware guy and love, I mean LOVE the animoog iPad app for noise stuff. Add a midi controller with knobs and sliders and you've got an amazing real time powerful noise machine you can slip into a small backpack and even record your set on.
frequencydecay
pxlsndworlock wrote:
This is from the Brighter Death Now - Innerwar album

I've got that too. But, I am pretty sure I here some synth work on there.
frequencydecay
Yeah,I'm gonna get the MS-20, nothing else seems as good for the price.
mt3
Virus B.
mt3
dan_k wrote:
Another +2 on the MS20. Used extensively by Hausa Arafna and Maurizio Bianchi as well.

Haus Arafna. Butterfly.
acidicfeces
I have a Korg ES-1 MKII and I like it because of its simple interface.
I tried thinking of other gear that hasn't been mentioned when the Korg KP3 came to mind.
KP3 has been on my gear lust list for a while now since it seems to have a simple and immediate sampling process with a shitload of effects.
SH Kingston
I've read interviews where Karmanik explains his music is based on drum machines and bass guitar feedback, with vocals and samples. Live, he has a bass guitar player and a "sampler". Using no-input feedback and mics, I can see how Innerwar is possible with those tools he mentioned. Keep in mind, he used the Fostex X-15 multitrack tape recorder as a soundsource, not as a recording tool. No doubt overdriving sources through the inputs of it as well.

Atrax Morgue used analog synths (and vocals), though I never really investigated his equipment. I'd assume MS-20 though.

I'd say hatred of life is the most important instrument for any good death industrial musician though.
RUMPLEDFORESKIN
My friend Mark Solotroff from Bloodyminded told me that Marco (Atrax Morgue) used a Sequential Circuits Six-Trak on a lot of his recordings and for the live shows he did in America. He admitted, though, that he probably used other synths as well.
SH Kingston
Ah, that makes sense. I was thinking MS-20 or Pro-One, so I guess the Six-Trak isn't light years off.
Even the Atrax Morgue stuff without vocals is some of the most tortured and uncomfortable music you'll ever want to hear. His tapes are fantastic, but oddly the Relapse "Sickness Report" release is one of my favorites of his.
Soy Sos
This one's got lots screaming into a mic triggering an envelope follower
opening a juicy low pass resonant filter.
RUMPLEDFORESKIN
The vocal effects were made using an unidentified "multi-effect unit". He mostly recorded the synths dry, but I can definitely hear delay on some of the tracks. I used to be obsessed with Atrax Morgue. His music sounds so simple to make, but I've never been able to create anything that sounds as unnerving as his stuff.

I've made Death Industrial with everything from a big setup (MS-20, Minibrute, Jomox M-Res, Microkorg, Alesis Microverb, various other pedals, Alesis SR-16, Bass Guitar, Guitar, Macbook Pro) to a very small setup, consisting of two Tascam 424's feeding back into each other with a microphone jacked into one of the inputs.

Honestly, it's easy to be either too minimal or- if you have money- to buy mad shit and then be stressed out trying to utilize it all. I say start scant, and then add to you setup when the need arises.

Cheers!
Soy Sos
Hey, just wanted to clarify about my comment on the video.
I just wanted to describe what I heard in that track as far as
technique and gear. Clearly the recording is all about the emotion and raw energy in the performance.
It's kind of like saying Jimi Hendrix used
a Stratocaster running through a Fuzzface into a Marshall amp.
Should be easy to achieve that that sound, right?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2