MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Clouds Parasite v2.01: an alternative firmware for MI Clouds
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 37, 38, 39  Next [all]
Author Clouds Parasite v2.01: an alternative firmware for MI Clouds
Funky40
mqthinqs, thank You !
i´ve enjoyed it very much yesterday while jamming.
........and i especially enjoy to test out new things, ...surprises. Great !
feels kinda like the MPC with JJOS with its many updates......just better lol

It made me some bottom on perussive and glitchy grooves. Real Reverb afterwards with a Space.
I like to have a smearing reverb and a clear one in series......it absoluetly does the job for me.

w00t
djthopa
Thanks for this. Need to check lots of alternative MI software¡
mmmcc666
I installed this mainly looking forward to the verb but I got stuck playing with the clocked timestretch/pitchshift (algo 2) with feedback....then freeze! amazing, adding the echophon-esque clock multiplier has made this module so much more practical and rhythmically stunning!.

Thanks for all the hard work that's gone into it! we're not worthy
ben_hex
mqtthiqs - definitely do some video / audio etc yourself as it's going to take me ages. I've got loads of videos to come working alongside the manufacturers first. I'll still do it once I actually install it and I'll watch the thread etc. Glad to see really good reports of this now it's out.
Richard Devine
Great work just got it running here, and love it so far! keep them coming!
daluxer
Wowsers, it sounds great.
mqtthiqs
Thanks all a lot for the feedback!

mwvm, sorry you didn't enjoy it... Are you sure modulation was off when you tried? (it's the last Blend parameter, the one with a small cube on the LED) And damping was not too strong? (second Blend parameter, should be around noon)

rupertally thanks for the demo!

Hari Seldon in the delay/time-stretcher mode, the max delay time determines the max clock speed, which should be around 0.5Hz in Hifi mode. Also, what I didn't specify in the manual (yet) is that if you ask for a clock division that's higher than the max delay time, then it "clips": it stays at the biggest division you can get without exceeding max delay time.
makers
I loaded this tonight and love the new reverb and clocked delay options.

I'm thinking about a clocked grain delay option, perhaps by adding the clock tools to the original granular engine. There isn't much range to play with but perhaps adding clock divisions to the counterclockwise "constant rate" Density would be interesting. Maybe adding clock divisions to grain Position would be interesting if it were disabled in the Freeze mode.
moofi
Sounds very interesting again :-) Looking forward.

Only thing I´m not really comfortable with is the name :-D
Not because of Mr. Greenaway but the meaning and association itself. Also the firmware doesn´t fit the definition because it doesn´t take away from Clouds but adds functionality thus contributing to/upgrading the host organism. If, it is more like a symbiosis. :-)
bennelong.bicyclist
moofi wrote:
Sounds very interesting again :-) Looking forward.

Only thing I´m not really comfortable with is the name :-D
Not because of Mr. Greenaway but the meaning and association itself. Also the firmware doesn´t fit the definition because it doesn´t take away from Clouds but adds functionality thus contributing to/upgrading the host organism. If, it is more like a symbiosis. :-)

It could be called Cloud Falls.

gwpt
Great update, I've having lots of fun mangling stuff smile

I am though, having an issue when I send a clock into trig in loop/delay modes.

The module just locks up and I need to turn it off and on again :(

Anyone else having this issue? Should I re-upload the firmware?

Thanks
mqtthiqs
gwpt that sounds pretty serious. Thanks for reporting it.

Could you give me more info on how to reproduce this bug? In what mode does it do that? (looping delay alone? time-stretcher also?) What clock speed? What's the position of the Position knob when it happens?

That's already 2 major bugs reported, I'll release a bug-fix version this week-end if everything goes well.
gwpt
Hi mqtthiqs,

Of course, now I'm finding it nearly impossible to reproduce :(

I've spend the last hour trying. It happened once with the following config:
Mode 2
Blend 1 100%
Blend 2 0%
Blend 3 0%
Blend 4 0%
Position 100% anti-clockwise
Size appox 11 o'clock
Pitch 100% anti-clockwise
Density 1 o'clock
Texture 11 o'clock
Buffer time 2sec (2nd red light)

I was feeding an approx:
0.5Hz square wave to gate
0.2Hz Reverse Saw to Size
0.15Hz Triangle to Pos

and it frooze.

but when I restarted the module (so I assume the settings would have been the same) It didn't happen again no matter what I did (ie. mild tweaking around those values)

So, sorry, not sure if that helps.
I shall keep trying...
indigoid
bennelong.bicyclist wrote:
This is great, but I am rather sad that you chose the break the naming convention for alternative firmware for Mutable Instruments modules. The convention is that alternative firmware takes the name of, or alludes to, one of the games in Peter Greenaway's film Drowning by Numbers. By ignoring this convention you have missed the chance for your firmware to be immortalised by Wikipedia.

I watched that on SBS once. Sheesh, that film is messed up. The script was published in a book as well, is on the shelf here Guinness ftw!
bennelong.bicyclist
indigoid wrote:
bennelong.bicyclist wrote:
This is great, but I am rather sad that you chose the break the naming convention for alternative firmware for Mutable Instruments modules. The convention is that alternative firmware takes the name of, or alludes to, one of the games in Peter Greenaway's film Drowning by Numbers. By ignoring this convention you have missed the chance for your firmware to be immortalised by Wikipedia.

I watched that on SBS once. Sheesh, that film is messed up. The script was published in a book as well, is on the shelf here Guinness ftw!

All his films are disturbingly subversive, or subversively disturbing, or both. Drowning by Numbers is one of his more accessible works, along with The Draughtsman's Contract, compared to films like Zed and Two Noughts, or The Baby of Maçon. But all his films are obsessed with repeating patterns and structure, as are most of the the sound tracks to them, especially those by Michael Nyman. But this is a bit off-topic.
mqtthiqs
Hi gwpt (and any other courageous user)
I tried my best, but couldn't reproduce the bug you describe. I consolidated the code a bit, hoping it could help, and fixed some other bugs. Would you mind testing this new firmware? If you can, and don't encounter the problem for a few days, I'll release this bug-fix version.

Here is what changed:
- fixed a bug producing a constant tone in the built-in reverb when switching away from OliVerb,
- consolidated clock multiplication/division code to avoid reported module freeze (although I could not reproduce it),
- improved a bit the quality of the Oliverb: less distortion, less damping.

Thanks in advance!
simonhold
mskala wrote:
Thulo wrote:
is there any chance that i can fuck up the module by inserting this firmware?

In principle a failed firmware installation (really bad firmware, or interrupted at the wrong moment during installation) can brick the module. Then it stops working at all and is unable to accept any new firmware to fix the problem, requiring hardware-level repair to be useful again. This is not a very likely scenario and I'm not sure it has actually happened to anyone with a Mutable module - the modules and the firmware are both designed to minimize the risk - but it is a risk that does exist, and that's one reason that installing third-party firmware will void the warranty.

Think of installing new firmware as being like physical "modding."

This exact thing just happened to my MI Clouds when trying to install clouds-parasite-v0.95beta.wav
very frustrating

I followed all the steps, made sure no other sound was playing etc... And now it is completely dark.

Also, I find the manual lacking in the Firmware update procedure. It does not explain what should happen when an update is successful. Should you power off the case or not? Should the module make a confirmation signal in the LEDs or not? etc...

What do I do now?

My first malfunctioning module... Dead Banana
simonhold
Trying to think of what went wrong.

The chasing LEDs did stop chasing after maybe 45secs out of the 1 minute 45secs the firmware .WAV takes. But I didn't read this as an error in the procedure. This is not mentioned in the manual. Thinking the firmware was successfully installed when the sound file reached it's end, I powered off my case and turned the power back on.

This error could have been avoided with a little bit more explanation on the updating procedure!
simonhold
Quote:
We provide an “unbricking” (firmware reinstallation and reinitialization) service in the event of a failed firmware upgrade procedure. We do not “unbrick” devices if a custom firmware has been installed on them.

Just read this on the Mutable Instruments website... help
mqtthiqs
Don't panic simonhold, it's probably nothing.

In any case, you can always redo the update again by powering off, on again while pressing Freeze, and replay the .wav into the module. The original firmware is linked above in case you want to revert it to its factory state.

What exactly happens if you turn power on now (I mean, without pressing "Freeze" while powering on)? Do the buttons make the LEDs light as usual? Is sound processed at all?
simonhold
mqtthiqs wrote:
Don't panic simonhold, it's probably nothing.

In any case, you can always redo the update again by powering off, on again while pressing Freeze, and replay the .wav into the module. The original firmware is linked above in case you want to revert it to its factory state.

What exactly happens if you turn power on now (I mean, without pressing "Freeze" while powering on)? Do the buttons make the LEDs light as usual? Is sound processed at all?

Precisely nothing happens, everything is 'dark', sound input, LEDs ...
Pressing Freeze during powering up does nothing either.
mqtthiqs
?? Ok, this is really weird. I've done what you just did over 100 times with no single failure.

I know it sound stupid but are you sure the module is powered (maybe for some reason the power strip slipped out of the pins)?

During upgrade, when the LEDs stopped chasing, what happened? In case of a read error, they should blink red. Otherwise the module directly reboots into the new firmware (you get the little animation for a while etc.).
simonhold
The module was in the case where it has resided since I first got it (right when it came out) and it hasn't moved since. And I just checked in the case, everything seems to be in place. So yes, it is still powered.

During the upgrade, around the 45 sec mark the chasing LEDs stopped chasing and stayed put at the last LED (blend mode indicator for reverb). Then, after the sound file was complete and nothing else happened I was wondering if I should switch off the case or not. Deciding going into update modus needed this, I figured going of it needed this too. So I powered off and on.
The result is nothing works anymore, everything stays dark.

Rather than keeping on describing the details of this traumatic event I just want to know one thing: How can I make it work again?
mqtthiqs
simonhold, sorry I make you repeat all this... I empathize, it must be quite a traumatic experience. Here is what I can tell you:

Since the upgrade didn't complete, the problem must have happened in the bootloader, which is the piece of code responsible for upgrading via audio and loading the firmware (which means that the new code was not even loaded at this time). I have no idea what could have happened, since I never looked at this part of the code. You should definitely contact Mutable Instruments about this, pointing to this thread and specifying that it froze while uploading the firmware.

Please let us all know the outcome!
sneak-thief
simonhold: With braids, a failed firmware update results in a blank screen. You have to reboot into firmware update mode.

What happens when you power off for 10 seconds, hold Freeze, then power on again?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 37, 38, 39  Next [all]
Page 2 of 39