MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Clouds Parasite v2.01: an alternative firmware for MI Clouds
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38, 39  Next [all]
Author Clouds Parasite v2.01: an alternative firmware for MI Clouds
Emmanuel G.
Alright so I've been trying both alternative firmwares, and it turns out, maybe it's me, but on parasites, in granular mode, it seems like the trigger input doesn't do anything, compared to the original mode and kammerl firmware.

is there something I'm doing wrong here?
circuitburst
Emmanuel G. wrote:
Alright so I've been trying both alternative firmwares, and it turns out, maybe it's me, but on parasites, in granular mode, it seems like the trigger input doesn't do anything, compared to the original mode and kammerl firmware.

Try setting the Density knob to 12 o'clock. A single grain should be generated at each trigger.
Emmanuel G.
circuitburst wrote:
Emmanuel G. wrote:

Try setting the Density knob to 12 o'clock. A single grain should be generated at each trigger.

yep, I did something wrong, actually, works a charm now
nigel_mck
Hi Y'All,

I tried installing parasites and I'm having some weird issues. First off, fully calibrated, have a multimeter, good voltage source, etc. I'm finding that the Oliverb is really grainy and glitchy sounding. It only sounds like a normal reverb when the texture knob is all the way to the left. My guess is I'm just doing something wrong with one of the parameters, but I can't figure out with what. Any ideas?

Thanks!
what gives?
nigel_mck wrote:
Hi Y'All,

I tried installing parasites and I'm having some weird issues. First off, fully calibrated, have a multimeter, good voltage source, etc. I'm finding that the Oliverb is really grainy and glitchy sounding. It only sounds like a normal reverb when the texture knob is all the way to the left. My guess is I'm just doing something wrong with one of the parameters, but I can't figure out with what. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Have you checked the audio quality setting? There are four different modes for changing bitrate/resolution etc.

From the manual:
Hold the Blend parameter/Audio quality button for one second, then press it repeatedly to choose a recording quality. The current quality setting is indicated by a red LED.

https://mutable-instruments.net/modules/clouds/manual/
nashsnazzy
Hey gang, I tried out Parasites and I decided that it wasn't for me. I'd like to go back to factory clouds, so I downloaded the firmware but now I can't hear any audio. The firmware procedure seemed to go ok, I can access different modes and the calibration routine, but no audio comes through. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thank You
th0mas
nashsnazzy wrote:
Hey gang, I tried out Parasites and I decided that it wasn't for me. I'd like to go back to factory clouds, so I downloaded the firmware but now I can't hear any audio. The firmware procedure seemed to go ok, I can access different modes and the calibration routine, but no audio comes through. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thank You

two obvious problems would be if your input gain was too low or you've got "density" set to 12 oclock and the wet/dry (1st blend mode) set to 100% wet.

if neither of those obvious problems are issues, it wouldn't hurt to re-program the firmware again.
nashsnazzy
th0mas, thanks for the input. I backed the density knob back to 9 o'clock. I also have the 1st blend mode set to 12 oclock, I still get nothing coming through. I used to get LEDs flashing depending on the input level, now no matter how high I turn the gain, I'm seeing no lit LEDs.

Oh, and I also refreshed again and recalibrated, no luck.
th0mas
Is freeze enabled?
nashsnazzy
I've tried with and without freeze, no audio and nothing showing on the LEDs.
interpolate
I just wanted to say that I downloaded and installed this and I love it!
Feels great being years late to the party.
andrewpiano
Trying to figure out why the Oliverb doesn't sound anything like the demo, no infinite available and it sounds really off. The controls more or less function as described but somethings amiss. I calibrated as per instructions, holding Write button on startup, used mpc via cv.ocd to send the c2, c4. Clouds was purchased late 2016... Not sure how to troubleshoot, any suggestions?
andrewpiano
Ah, may have figured it out. The MPC/cv.ocd was sending incorrect voltages for some reason. Measured with the meter, re-calibrated and good to go now.
*edit - still not right. The reverb works better but Clouds mode isn't working like the original. Will try calibrating with Beatstep Pro and see if there's any difference I guess.
Tristana
Heya- I'm looking for opinions on if there's any *disadvantage* to the Parasites firmware. I've noticed some people mention preferring the stock firmware but I'm not sure what the reasoning is.

Namely, I'm curious if anybody strongly dislikes the tweaks that were made to the original modes. I'm mostly interested in getting a Clouds for its original modes, and while I'd like the additional Parasite modes as a bonus they aren't worth making sacrifices to the stock Clouds functionalities for me.

I'm interested in grabbing a µClouds at some point, and while most builders offer to install your firmware of choice, they also note that you can't flash the firmware easily via audio- so it seems my firmware choice is semi permanent without buying the proper hardware to change it otherwise.
alanza
personally the main mode feels a little harsher with Parasites. I'm not sure what the source of that is; could be the small reduction in grain density, the size knob making smaller grains or the change to the texture knob resulting in a lot of envelope choices with hard edges.

that said I haven't gone back yet, and the changes to the looping delay and pitch shifter modes are helpful
Tristana
alanza wrote:
the change to the texture knob resulting in a lot of envelope choices with hard edges.

Hmm, that could be a problem for me. I've designed a granular synth before and only found curved windows, like the raised cosine, to have the sound I wanted. Anything with discontinuity, like in a trapezoidal window, is kinda blegh for my ambience-driven purposes.

Is the issue that the texture knob just becomes a bit more temperamental/finnicky as you peruse the envelope shapes? This might be compounded by the uClouds smaller knob size.
Zymos
You don't have to use the sharp window though, its only at full CCW of the knob.
baleen
Parasites both widens the range of grain size (down to awfully small) and adds additional grain shapes to the texture knob, outright clicky at fully CCW.

one thing I explored in a the stock firmware was in looping delay mode, scannig through a captured buffer with a feedback setting around noon IIRC. this created a nice ambient haze, the eq sweep in texture was delightfully useful there. Parasites moves the feedback chain so I cant do that. its a change, hasnt killed me, but so read through the current Parasites documentation.

like, I love the mode-switching button combo in Parasites, dont use it that often but hey...
alanza
Zymos wrote:
You don't have to use the sharp window though, its only at full CCW of the knob.

Oh, I'm aware. I meant that the added "ramp up" and "ramp down" shapes are also harsher than the triangle envelope thumbs up
Tristana
alanza wrote:
Zymos wrote:

Oh, I'm aware. I meant that the added "ramp up" and "ramp down" shapes are also harsher than the triangle envelope thumbs up

I think they were respondin' to me!

So, I take it then that there still is a decent range of smooth grains even with the Parasite's firmware? Would you imagine it'd still be usable with smaller uClouds knobs (or can any uClouds + Parasites owners chime in?)

Teeny-tiny grain sizes might be useful for wavetable-like performance, perhaps I'd find that advantageous over stock...
Zymos
Wait, people are saying there is some issue with loading FW on uClouds? I hadn't heard about that...
r05c03
So I have clouds running Parasites so I will ask this question here. Lets say I am playing a guitar into Clouds Pv2.01 and I want the guitar and processed sound to be blended and want there to be as close to zero temporal distance between what is going into to clouds and what is coming out of clouds. Zero latency, if you will. Where do I set the position knob?
Shledge
Don't think that's possible - the granular part always has some latency.
r05c03
Shledge wrote:
Don't think that's possible - the granular part always has some latency.

Darn. Is there a setting that minimizes it?

what about time stretching mode?
virtualcrimes
Anyone else having issues with a uBurst and the latest fw? Normal modes seem to be fine but when using oliverb it sounds terribly distorted, the freeze button kills the decay immediately instead of making infinite and compared to the demo videos it just doesnt sound nearly as good as it. The regular reverb in clouds mode seems to behave fine though. Can upload a recording if needed.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38, 39  Next [all]
Page 37 of 39