MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The Oscilloscope Graphic Artist
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author The Oscilloscope Graphic Artist
cskonopka
Found this cool article from Popular Electronics (November 1975) about "The Oscilloscope Graphic Artist".

Article + Schematic
http://www.acc.umu.se/~polarn-p/sas/Video/ScopeArt.pdf

found a video of it too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ6KEp3th14
Eloc
If you have a modular then you effectively have a 'oscilloscope graphic artist' on steroids. I've been having fun sending tuned and modulated oscillators to a hacked mini CRT TV deflection yoke (which looks to be what they're using in that video too) to create interesting lissajous figures.

The example images that the circuit in that article produced are pretty impressive ones I must say.

(p.s. Also, delete the /ScopeArt.pdf part of the link and you will find many more gems therein, if you haven't already...)
cskonopka
I did that before I read this and hottttttt dog was there some greatness there. Do you or anyone know if the book ""Color Television - A Telefunken information" by Dr.-Ing Klaus Welland" has been translated? It looks amazing! Plus the diagrams are super cool.

http://www.acc.umu.se/~polarn-p/sas/Video/Telefunken_-_Fargtelevision. pdf
johyde
Yeah, some great stuff there. Eloc - did you basically make a wobbulator then? How hard was it to do? It's something I really want to do (currently working with a hacked Vectrex, which I love, but looking where to go next), but I'm a bit scared!
BugBrand
I did a version of the PE one for someone back in 2011::

Also did an Elektor one in 2007:

Maybe preferred that one actually..

Each time I look over these things my mind would run off with possibilities..
Think on what building blocks they're using then realise, yeah, that you could probably do a lot more with specific modules (but for $$$!)

PS - the Sandin IP (PDF) within the root directory is a good source - modular though many parts are nigh on impossible to recreate these days - but other parts are still very relevant (think LZX did at least one modern update on one idea)
Eloc
cskonopka wrote:
I did that before I read this and hottttttt dog was there some greatness there. Do you or anyone know if the book ""Color Television - A Telefunken information" by Dr.-Ing Klaus Welland" has been translated? It looks amazing! Plus the diagrams are super cool.

I don't know if it's been translated, but I too would certainly like to know if it has. You could maybe use some PDF text recognition software (there may be something free), and then translate that text (it's not ideal I know).

johyde wrote:
Yeah, some great stuff there. Eloc - did you basically make a wobbulator then? How hard was it to do? It's something I really want to do (currently working with a hacked Vectrex, which I love, but looking where to go next), but I'm a bit scared!

It's not quite a wobbulator, but it's the same principle, except with a wobbulator you leave the existing coils untouched (so you can display video with them), then you add another deflection yoke around that one to distort the image produced by the original yoke... It's next on my list; I'm looking for a suitable spare yoke at the moment so I don't have to wind my own.

BugBrand wrote:
PS - the Sandin IP (PDF) within the root directory is a good source - modular though many parts are nigh on impossible to recreate these days - but other parts are still very relevant (think LZX did at least one modern update on one idea)

Liz posted some updated Schematics for a couple Sandin modules at the bottom of this page *here*. Word is on the street (well it was in another thread on here) that there may be more DIY type stuff from LZX on the way. I'm certainly excited.
Cata
Thanks for posting this! I may just have to make a build of this for myself
kaeth
Is there any cheap-ish way to make shapes like this, and output them as a standard video signal? Is the only option to use an analog oscilloscope or wobbulator and point a camcorder at it? I'm slowly making a setup that I'd like to be as portable and lightweight as possible, and this looks fun as hell. I don't have, and can't really afford a modular.
IR
^even though computers are kind of a no-no in this forum, you could get an 8-bit computer and program that kind of stuff (or find programs in text or data form, perhaps mod them) in BASIC, or machine language.
daverj
You can create shapes like that in a computer using MAX/MSP Jitter.
particlesintowaves
kaeth wrote:
Is there any cheap-ish way to make shapes like this, and output them as a standard video signal? Is the only option to use an analog oscilloscope or wobbulator and point a camcorder at it? I'm slowly making a setup that I'd like to be as portable and lightweight as possible, and this looks fun as hell. I don't have, and can't really afford a modular.

Bumping this comment because it's literally what I've been trying to find. A Eurorack modules that could output vectors over a video signal would be an instabuy for me. I guess it would require something of a digital architecture, so as the render the vectors and then compose them to analog...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1