MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Music for Babies
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Music for Babies
1nput0utput
My sister is having a baby in a few months, and I'm thinking about which albums to get for him. I'd like to stay away from the typical lullaby stuff simply because it doesn't interest me and my nephew deserves better.

I'm not against music with singing, but I figure I'll save those albums until later when he can actually understand the lyrics. Ambient music or instrumental electronic music seem to me to be apt styles for babies because their themes often develop slowly, there's a lot of repetition, and they're good for putting you to sleep.

I was browsing through my record collection, and these are the ones I've come up with so far:
Brian Eno – Ambient 1: Music for Airports
Oval – 94diskont
Alva Noto and Ryuichi Sakamoto – Vrioon

If you were a baby, what music would you want to hear?
valis
Bruce Haack with Esther Nelson!
ndkent
Raymond Scott "Soothing Sounds for Babies"
Luka
that raymond scott album is disturbing
i cant believe it is meant for babies
Babaluma
we played the raymond scott trilogy to our daughter after she was born and she loved it, still does!

anything ambient with an uplifting feel i reckon, how about steve hillage's "rainbow dome musick"?, at least side one.
scozbor
http://www.putumayo.com/en/putumayo_kids.php
tj
classical or switched-on:
beethoven
satie
bach
mozart
debussy
steve roach
jean jacques perrey
"baby food" by coil
a clockwork orange soundtrack by w. carlos
plord
Babaluma wrote:
anything ambient with an uplifting feel i reckon, how about steve hillage's "rainbow dome musick"?, at least side one.

This. And, by extension, any Orb track that sampled it smile
MrTea
+1 for classical music. I play it often to my son who is coming up for a year.

He also seems to enjoy acoustic/folk songs with a rich male voice. It's not about whether he can understand the lyrics but it's the tone of the voice and the simple instrumentation that I believe he finds interesting.

Soft white noise is also good. It's very soothing for young babies. I wrote some of my own for my son when he was born.

Honestly, don't overlook simple lullabies.. People have been playing children simple lullabies for hundreds of years and there's a reason for it. Children find simple melodies comforting and enjoyable to listen to. You're not patronising them.... recognising a simple melody is a a very important part of brain development in a young child thumbs up [/i]
authorless
slayer.

babies haven't developed any notions of what is scary and what is not. think about what the outside world must sound like through the womb.

"Instead of the womb being the quiet place scientists once assumed, it is actually awash in sounds, particularly the whooshing of your blood and digestive system, the thumping of your heart and your voice, which sounds louder than it would transmitted through the air since it reverberates through the bones and fluids in your body.

Noises from outside your body are more muffled but they also make it through surprisingly clearly, says Robert Abrams, a fetal physiologist in the department of obstetrics and gynecology at University of Florida. Low frequency sounds, such as those above middle C, tend to be more audible than higher frequency ones. Men's voices, for instance, come through clearer than women's, and music also is easily recognizable."

pretty interesting stuff, the article is here: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=51723
1nput0utput
authorless wrote:
slayer.

My sister, having never heard of Slayer and being not as open to experimentation as I, would probably not approve of that. Thanks for the link, though.
JP
http://weeseeworld.com/

Minimal Electronic Music and DVD's for babies

qu.one
When my son was first born, we played classical musc done by baby Einstein. They do all the great classical music with a softer touch for children. Think Mozart done on xylophones. They say classical musc is brain stimulating at an early age, and then I would suggest music the educates.

Now at 19 months and with a very full vocabulary, he really likes a lot of the classics: wheels on the bus, ABCs, etc. We also take him to a weekly music class starting at 10 months in which the sessions were a teacher who would sing practically the whole time, teaching rhythmic and tonal patterns.

He also let's us know what he likes and dislikes, so what you think he might want to hear might not be. They are such sponges and truly have tastes when they start to hit 1 - so introduce as much as possible.
chinard
+1 for slayer

I'd add the misfits on there as well.

Also, after my little guy was born the thing that would calm him down the fastest was Plastikman... particularly the albums Closer and Consumed.
minimal techno with heavy bass is really good for calming down infants without overstimulating them.
modularland
very good topic.

I have two kids and thought long and hard about this.

After having the actual kid, all my theories, Brian Enos, and Selected Ambient Works went out the window.

In my view, the only good music for newborns is very low volume 'lullaby' type music, classical or otherwise, while awake or sleeping. OR white noise to help them sleep. We have two Homedics Sound Spas that have been running for 2.5 years in their rooms at this point.

Babies have very sensitive ears and do best with very simple basic quiet music.

Once they get to age 9 months or so, and they are walking, they can handle music on kids tv shows. And then start with "childrens music" CDs.
At age 1.5- the Beatles.

My 2.5 year old daughter can sing several Beatles songs end to end now and loves the electro music and indie rock on Yo Gabba Gabba TV show. She also loves my modular synths and begs to play them... She knows the difference between "synthesizer music" and "like the beatles" music...
haricots
For my first kid I recorded 30 secs of a hairdryer and looped it to fill a cd. This worked like a charm! White noise would work well too.

This of course is only useful for sleep, not brain development. smile
Fnord
Venetian Snares
neandrewthal
modularland wrote:

My 2.5 year old daughter can sing several Beatles songs end to end now and loves the electro music and indie rock on Yo Gabba Gabba TV show. She also loves my modular synths and begs to play them... She knows the difference between "synthesizer music" and "like the beatles" music...

Haha, first thing that came to my mind was let him watch Yo Gabba Gabba. I love that show. My favourite part is the drawing with Mark Mothersbough and every time the marker hits the paper it makes a different funny synth noise SlayerBadger!

chinard
the white noise for when they are sleeping is an excellent suggestion.
when there is background noise you dont have to worry about tiptoeing around while the baby is sleeping.
one of the baby shower gifts that was a real life saver was this little 'lamb' with 4 different white noise sounds. Of course, once i dont need it anymore it is going straight onto my circuit bending bench grin
jonkull
I agree with the white noise. My wife and I have had (well still have cry ) all kinds of sleep issues with our son and we've been told that playing music when you want them to sleep can sometimes keep them awake. Depends on the kid. Noise on the other hand (supposedly) reminds them of what they heard in the womb and can be more soothing.

When my son is awake on the other hand he loves music in general (my wife is a former ballet dancer and I come from a family of musicians so who knows maybe it's in him) but seems to enjoy Mazzy Star, the Volt Per Octaves and Roger O'Donnell quite a bit. His favorite lullaby stuff would be Rockabye Baby! Lullaby Renditions of U2 which as far as lullabies go is the only CD that doesn't grate on my nerves. It keeps him calm in the car.
qu.one
http://www.musictogether.com/

is the music class i was referring to if any other parents were interested. not sure how many locations they stretch across though...
tobias
<<<<<<!!!!

@ Fnord- my buddy's 4 year old LOVES venetian snares!! hahahaha lol he drives his mom crazy!!!
wackelpeter
What i find relaxing is something sorts of David Behrmann- On the Other Ocean or Wave Train, Kosugi's Catch Wave, Maybe some Raga Tabla stuff, Alvin Lucier Music on a Long thin wire, Annea Lockwood Tiger Balm, Robert Ashley Automatic Writing and similar stuff...

All quite relaxing, very calm, without abrupt breaks in dynamics or loudness, repetitive... i imagine those could be excellent lullabies...
scrunday
This one is good for newborns:

https://www.discogs.com/Pete-Namlook-Music-For-Babies/release/2006775
jahreed
I love and it might be good for babies:

Howie B - Music For Babies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aaax1mXr63A

the whole album is a masterpiece for me
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2