MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler Blog & NewsMW News   Muff Wiggler StoreMW Store 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New PAiA 9700-series modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author New PAiA 9700-series modules

Cliff Schecht

My good friend that does digital synths is always playing around with adding knobs to make things more or less stable or to add in some 60/120 Hz noise (sorry Europe guys!). The cool thing is that these are continuously variable instead of just switches so you can kinda tune in your mojo as you wish.

D/A A/D

Cliff Schecht wrote:
My good friend that does digital synths is always playing around with adding knobs to make things more or less stable or to add in some 60/120 Hz noise (sorry Europe guys!). The cool thing is that these are continuously variable instead of just switches so you can kinda tune in your mojo as you wish.

Variable is better than either or... But I am game for anything! thumbs up

werock

Any chance the AR generator will be a dual (i.e. 2 AR's rather than 2 frac widths)?

vmgas

so any word on when we will start to see some of these modules roll out?

werock

Finally got round to getting some of the new modules (ok, so they're not so new anymore).

The front panels are very nice - they have that same MOTM paint job effect:

They are also very shallow, the ones I got are no more than 2 inches deep, so those of you with shallow cases won't have a problem. Also nice to see they come with black mounting screws - makes all the difference.

D/A A/D

I love my "new" PAiA mods, the balanced modulator especially. I am really looking forward to whats coming!

Nouadh

so if i wanted to run any of the 9700 series on the ps500 i just have to remove the regulators?

werock

The regulators on the Paia Boards? No, leave them on - they regulate the 15v from your PS500 down to 12v.

The only gotcha is the power connectors on the Paia boards are not the same size as the connectors on a Blacet board. If you're building the Paia modules yourself, you can just leave off the power connectors and solder the wires directly to the board.

If you buy the Paia modules assembled, the connector is already in place, in which case you need a power lead with a .156 connector on one end (for the Blacet supply) and .100 connector on the other for the connector on the Paia board. It sounds more complicated than it actually is. It was covered earlier in this thread.

D/A A/D

Yeah, they work fine off the Blacet supply. I had a bunch of power cables made up by a fellow wiggler.[/list]

Spencer

If you use the PAiA power supply with the PAiA modules would it be plug and play then? I mean will the modules just plug into the power supply without making a cable? I was thinking of buying a PAiA rack and power supply and then filling it with PAiA modules.

werock

Yeah, I think that's why they've got the .100 connectors on the boards, to ensure backwards compatibility with their own stuff.

Shouldn't be too expensive, filling a rack up of these modules.

D/A A/D

But you have to build the PAiA power supply...

Spencer

D/A A/D wrote:
But you have to build the PAiA power supply...

I think I could do that. I built one of the PAiA Vocoders many years ago.

dogoftears

newbies take heed!!! this is THEE way to start up for cheap. put a dual vca, cv source, and lin to expo converter next to each other and you've got some powerful utility there. also notice they sell a 25 dollar tool kit that includes everything you need to build almost any DIY synth project...

whitewulfe

Are they offering a pre-built and tested 9700S yet? Just curious if anyone's heard or seen such things.

D/A A/D

Just wait for the fucking VCO, Filters (yeah PLURAL!)... PAiA may just bring about the frac renaissance!

Spencer

whitewulfe wrote:
Are they offering a pre-built and tested 9700S yet? Just curious if anyone's heard or seen such things.

No you still have to build that one.

whitewulfe

Spencer wrote:
whitewulfe wrote:

No you still have to build that one.

Ah, okay. I'm surprised they haven't come out with a pre-built and tested package yet, especially since they already have most of the individual modules available as such now.

vmgas

D/A A/D wrote:
Just wait for the fucking VCO, Filters (yeah PLURAL!)... PAiA may just bring about the frac renaissance!

agreed
i wish at the least an estimated release date would be be brought to light

novielo

could these be used with a eurorack power module? if they regulated down to 12v i could just remove it?

novielo

never mind, i red the last page... sorry meh

theglyph

Cliff Schecht wrote:
We are currently gearing up to release some more modules as well, most notably three different VCF's, an updated/improved version of the 9710 VCO (just the VCO, no ADSR), an AR generator, an ADSR and a bunch more stuff that we have in the works. I'm still in school and so my design time can be somewhat limited during semesters (not aided by the fact that I've been building a tube amp just about every week..). Keep an eye out at the PAiA website as we will be slowly but surely working towards getting the newer modules released.

Wow, can't believe I just found this post. I can't wait to see what's coming! w00t

Synthasonic

O.k. so I have a question for those who've used some of these modules. I have built and used a 9700s, as well as a couple other Paia modules. Without getting down on them, let's just say that I don't think the quality and accuracy is what you see in modules from Blacet or Modcan. Does anyone here have experience with some of the newer modules and care to comment on this? It's one thing to sell off gear because you don't use it anymore, but it's still awesome and great. It's a whole different thing to try to sell something that doesn't work right, and never did (my 9700 falls into this category, even though it was gone over by the techs at Paia and works 100% according to them.) Opinions?

werock

True, they're probably not in the same league as Modcan, but I guess it's unreasonable to expect so from the Paia prices.

Comparing to Blacet is a bit more difficult - I've got a few of the newer Paia modules but nothing I can directly compare to a Blacet equivalent. But some general observations:

1. Build quality on the new modules is excellent, the panel paintwork has a nice finish.
2. The functionality per module is generally more vanilla than Blacet - many of the Blacet modules have multiple uses & functionality which is not always obvious at first.
3. I like the fact the new modules are 1FU width.
4. Performance wise, the Noise Generator seems a little quiet, not drastically so, but it is noticable and the level pot seems to have most of it's gain at the far end of the pot travel, but in most cases it will probably be left at the max value anyway. No problems with the Ring Mod.

As for things like the jacks & pots, only time will tell how well they will stand up - I have a couple of Blacet modules where the jacks are a bit buggered - nudging a patch cable results in scratchy noise. These modules were bought used, so I don't know how abused they have been.

I haven't got any of the original 9700 modules, but from various comments the new modules seem to be different beasts entirely - and as has been said on here before, a rack full of the VCAs & Mixers would be super value. Not having either of those it would be interesting to hear how the Paia VCA (LM13700 based?) compares to the SSM2164 based Blacet designs.

BugBrand

In my opinion Paia has always offered designs which are functional but not nearly as advanced as, say, Blacet.

I saw the schematic for the Noise Gen and to me it appears extremely basic but that seems to be the trade-off for such low prices. Blacet designs, on the other hand, are extremely solid / robust circuit-wise and that is what I think makes for a really topnotch modular system.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 5 of 6