MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

*******how to use the search function*********
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author *******how to use the search function*********
ignatius
step 1 -

read this!

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=132482&highlight=

step 2 - be loved forever

nanners nanners nanners nanners nanners nanners

Muff Wiggler wrote:
we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy

I don't even have words to describe how MASSIVE this is.

A chorus of praise (seriously now, he has done so much work for us) to analogdigital who wasn't simply content to help save all the missing posts, nor was he ready to relax after singlehandedly restoring the 'interim' posts, no....... and fuck no, he still wasn't finished after he added shortened youtube syntax to our video embeds......

No no no. Chris saw enough of the forum guts through all of this that he ended up (rightfully) disgusted with how the forum handles search and he built and implemented a completely new search engine for the site. Ripped the old one out and wired the new one in its place. This is massive surgery reconfiguring huge chunks of the forum's code to do things vastly different from the way it was originally designed.

We are enjoying many many benefits as a result. The site is under significantly less load now and performance will be significantly better in all operations, but will be most noticeable in speed when submitting a new post (and vastly, vastly less chance of double posts), and when searching.

In fact, double-posts should be a thing of the past completely now. I've also been able to lower the "forced wait" between searches to 1 second, so you won't see that stupid message about "you cannot make a new search so soon after your last search blah blah blah".

(Also if you have had "missing" threads since the hack and they are from the interim period, there are probably actually here, but haven't been in the search index. That has now been resolved - we've done a full re-index and you should be able to find ANY post now, so please look for your lost posts again using the search tool.)

But anyway, none of that is even close to the best part, the best part is what you can do with the search itself.

For one, the engine is providing results based on RELEVANCE, not thread or date. That's a massive change and you'll see a huge difference in accuracy.

Even better, there are many new operators supported, as well as changes to the existing ones. Here's an explanation of how they work....

These are the search operators:

& ("AND": the default 'assumed' operator)
| ("OR")
- ("NOT")
! ("NOT")
* (wildcard)
" " (exact match)

------------------------
Examples:
------------------------

Search: Korg Odyssey
May also be entered as: Korg &Odyssey
May also be entered as: Korg & Odyssey

This is the "and" operator and will return posts with the both the words "Korg" and "Odyssey" anywhere in the post ('&' is the 'assumed' operator when no operator has been entered)

------------------------

Search: Korg | Odyssey
May also be entered as: Korg |Odyssey

This is the "or" operator and will return posts with EITHER the words "Korg" or "Odyssey" in the post - much more results for this than the the previous example.

------------------------

Search: Korg ! Odyssey
May also be entered as: Korg !Odyssey
May also be entered as: Korg -Odyssey
May also be entered as: Korg - Odyssey

This is the "not" operator and will return posts with the word "Korg" in the text but only when the word "Odyssey" is NOT in the same post text.

------------------------

As before quotes can be used to specify an exact match.

For example placing "Korg Odyssey" within quotes in the search box will return posts with the text:

Quote:
I'm happy about the Korg Odyssey!

......but will NOT return posts with the text:

Quote:
What is Korg doing with the Odyssey?

------------------------

Also as before the asterisk character ("*") is available as a wildcard for partial matches.

------------------------

Finally please note the new search engine is not quite real time. It re-indexes new posts every five minutes, posts newer than this aren't searchable until the next re-index. I suspect no-one will mind!

Thanks, have fun, please thank Chris or buy him a beer if you live in LA. That dude rocks so hard. I hope you all enjoy the new search tools! We've worked hard and are really proud and excited to bring them to you.

Let me know if you encounter any problems - we've tested it pretty hard but there may be a small adjustment needed here or there. Thanks!

==============================================

tl:dr completely new search technology here now. Relevance based results. Better performance. Thank analogdigital for enormous effort. Here are the search operators:

& ("AND": the default 'assumed' operator)
| ("OR")
- ("NOT")
! ("NOT")
* (wildcard)
" " (exact match)
edgek8d
LOL.....well done.

Its really pretty good once you get how to use it. These shortcuts are nice to know, I didn't know them.....until now.

Only thing, I wish you could save certain search settings. Like "eurorack modules" or alway be on "topic titles", and "descending/time".
listentoaheartbeat
Nice, best sticky ever. thumbs up

Maybe add some info about "Search topic title only", I still find it incredibly useful.
ldavis123
haha
ignatius
please.

please.

please.

just try the search function. you'll like it. it's easy. it's fun.

it will deliver you answers quicker than you can ask a forum of thousands. Hug Lotsa Love
A UserName
Thought I'd mention this also if people do not know, but using Google to search via the "site:muffwiggler.com x" function is very effective. It gives you the relevant text results in context under the link (which is the thread title). Sometimes the embedded search returns results in threads where the title has nothing to do with the search terms, so it is useful to be able to see an excerpt of text from the thread containing the matches when conducting a search.
lklk
thumbs up
mdoudoroff
So, once you get your search results, what do you click on to go to the exact posting? I find all sorts of links to the beginning of a thread, but that’s not very useful if you’re looking for a post buried in a multi-page thread.
ignatius
just a reminder.. please try the search function.

i know everyone in the eurorack forum thinks they have a unique question not yet asked but c'mon... at least try first the search function before you ask...

even just searching "topic title only" for one or two words to lead you in the right direction usually returns some good search results.

please consider adding to an existing thread on a particular module before starting a new one.

if there's a 30 page thread that doesn't answer your specific question try asking your question in that thread since it probably has a lot of people participating in it or following it and you're likely to get an answer quickly.

thank you.

PSA over.
ignatius
mdoudoroff wrote:
So, once you get your search results, what do you click on to go to the exact posting? I find all sorts of links to the beginning of a thread, but that’s not very useful if you’re looking for a post buried in a multi-page thread.

i don't know.. but sometimes i'll get the search results.. browse the multi page thread and "search topic" to narrow the results.

or if it's not too huge of a thread i'll click the "all" option and have the entire thread on one page so i can scroll through it quickly.
analogdigital
ignatius wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:

i don't know.. but sometimes i'll get the search results.. browse the multi page thread and "search topic" to narrow the results.

or if it's not too huge of a thread i'll click the "all" option and have the entire thread on one page so i can scroll through it quickly.

Display results as: Posts

That'll get you to the exact post.
ignatius
analogdigital wrote:
ignatius wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:

Display results as: Posts

That'll get you to the exact post.

thumbs up thumbs up
Matos
This should be a quiz to sign up on muffs. Like read this sticky and then answer multiple choice questions about search, selling requirements, and political posts. If you get them all right you may enter. Dead Banana
ignatius
Matos wrote:
This should be a quiz to sign up on muffs. Like read this sticky and then answer multiple choice questions about search, selling requirements, and political posts. If you get them all right you may enter. Dead Banana

haha... i'd be ok w/that. consider it a super long captcha
analogdigital
A quiz based on all of the search operands would be quite funny wink
thrills
thank you hihi
kirklandish
I've successfully used the search function many times, but for some reason it isn't working for me today. I've tried multiple ways (all available, general gear, title only, etc.) of searching for "octatrack" and keep coming up with "no topics or posts met your search criteria." I know there are posts with Octatrack in the title and/or body and I've tried other terms as a test (like Moog).

Anyone else having problems today? It's driving me nuts. very frustrating
mdoudoroff
kirklandish wrote:
I've successfully used the search function many times, but for some reason it isn't working for me today. I've tried multiple ways (all available, general gear, title only, etc.) of searching for "octatrack" and keep coming up with "no topics or posts met your search criteria." I know there are posts with Octatrack in the title and/or body and I've tried other terms as a test (like Moog).

Anyone else having problems today? It's driving me nuts. very frustrating

I’ve pretty much given up on the search feature and now just use google, with the site:muffwiggler.com parameter. E.g.:

octotrack moog site:muffwiggler.com
dlabtot
It's broken. It used to work, but now, every search returns no results.
ignatius
yes everyone hopefully realizes it's broken now.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=160092&highlight=

bummer. hopefully it gets sorted out soonish. in the mean time let's keep our fingers crossed.

edit: search function fixed long ago thumbs up
boe_dye
Thank you for the information!
Muff Wiggler
its working fine?
ignatius
Muff Wiggler wrote:
its working fine?

isnt it? fixed long time ago now right?
Muff Wiggler
thumbs up
twistyknobs