MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

CS-80 Filter for Mutable Instruments' Shruthi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author CS-80 Filter for Mutable Instruments' Shruthi
oldcrow
Hey folks, Crow here. One of the projects I managed to complete amid the ongoing crOwBX and Crowminius work is my filter board for MI's excellent Shruthi hybrid monosynth. I am ordering a set of boards for general sale in May, but I have three bare boards left from my prototype run I plan to offer for sale. Both board sets are the same revision level. My CS-80 filter board uses the same "mark II" V2164 circuit I implemented in the SynthTech MOTM-480 mkII, the upcoming SynthTech E480 and my CSR-80 voice card project. Like Mr. Gillet's filter boards, this one will also have an open-source hardware package offered on github. Once I have the BoM, and audio demo and the github repo prepared, I will place these up on my sales site.

For those who care to use some SMT parts, I've provided SMT and throughhole options on certain capacitors.

Update: an audio demo, http://www.cs80.com/shruthi/CS80_Shruthi_Filter_Demo01.wav

FYI,

Crow
/**/

setsun8
Wow this is awesome, will definitely pick one up. Can't wait to hear the demos SlayerBadger!
Luap
Nice! thumbs up
I've been waiting for this..
sduck
Very cool! Could this be used in the Ambika? Or adapted for it if not?
ttown23
sduck wrote:

Same question here!
oldcrow
Very probably. I do not have an Ambika though I examined Andrew's last week at AHMW. Looking at the voice card layout provided I can get two V2164s on there with some opamps and use their control signals, it seems pretty simple to do.

sduck wrote:
kvitekp
Very nice! I'm in for one.

/Peter
C14ru5
I'm also in for one!

sduck wrote:

Based on how dense that Shruthi filter board looks, the answer would normally be 'no'. (On Ambika, the voice circuits are on the same board as the filter)
A possible exception could be if one uses SMD parts, but no one has made an Ambika filter board like that yet.
apoisontree
I'm in for one.
fcd72
Im in for one!
sammy123
Awesome. I'd take one for sure.

Also, If you need an Ambika for the development I could loan you mine.
pichenettes
Re Ambika: will need a bit of firmware work to add the cutoff 2 and resonance 2 parameters on the motherboard UI ; and on the voicecard to generate the two extra PWM signals (it might need some pins reassignment too). Actually we don't need the 405x routing junk if it's hardwired for HP->LP or LP->HP. If you only want the LP or HP half of it, you're already well served with the existing SVF board.
mmarsh
Hey Scott -

Very cool project, I'm in for one.

Mike
oldcrow
Yes, I noticed there were only one cutoff CV and one resonance CV. I can still rig the filter for the CS-80 timbre using these and implementing a 2:1 tracking interval for the HP->LP and a trimpot-adjusted interval for resonance. I would remove the 4052 as I would need the space for the second 2164. We'll see what happens. --Crow

pichenettes wrote:
Re Ambika: will need a bit of firmware work to add the cutoff 2 and resonance 2 parameters on the motherboard UI ; and on the voicecard to generate the two extra PWM signals (it might need some pins reassignment too). Actually we don't need the 450x routing junk if it's hardwired for HP->LP or LP->HP. If you only want the LP or HP half of it, you're already well served with the existing SVF board.
windspirit
Great idea! Interested in at least one, waiting for demos grin
oldcrow
Here is a short demo, though I forgot to turn off the Lexicon. SlayerBadger!

http://www.cs80.com/shruthi/CS80_Shruthi_Filter_Demo01.wav

I'll put this into the initial forum post as well.
sduck
pichenettes wrote:
Re Ambika: will need a bit of firmware work to add the cutoff 2 and resonance 2 parameters on the motherboard UI ; and on the voicecard to generate the two extra PWM signals (it might need some pins reassignment too). Actually we don't need the 405x routing junk if it's hardwired for HP->LP or LP->HP. If you only want the LP or HP half of it, you're already well served with the existing SVF board.

Yes, it might be more trouble than it's worth. Actually the filter that I'd like to see ported to the Ambika the most is the MOTM 440 - don't know if that's one of your designs, Scott, but it would be a wonderful thing!
oldcrow
The 440 was JH. It is the best discrete filter there is. SlayerBadger! That said, I could adapt it to the Ambika, though I would be more motivated if I had one. Guinness ftw!

sduck wrote:
Yes, it might be more trouble than it's worth. Actually the filter that I'd like to see ported to the Ambika the most is the MOTM 440 - don't know if that's one of your designs, Scott, but it would be a wonderful thing!
tubeohm
oldcrow wrote:
Very probably. I do not have an Ambika though I examined Andrew's last week at AHMW. Looking at the voice card layout provided I can get two V2164s on there with some opamps and use their control signals, it seems pretty simple to do.

sduck wrote:

Hi , is it possible to get one board for testing.
Can you contact me direct with Kontakt@tubeohm.com

Greets

Andre'
oldcrow
Just to clarify, I do not have Ambika voice cards with CS-80 filters (yet). This is for the Shruthi. SlayerBadger!

tubeohm wrote:
Hi , is it possible to get one board for testing.
Can you contact me direct with Kontakt@tubeohm.com

Greets

Andre'
aburrows
I'm interested too. I'm assuming you'll post here when they're available on your site Scott? Thanks!
oldcrow
Yep, I always post at MW first.

aburrows wrote:
I'm interested too. I'm assuming you'll post here when they're available on your site Scott? Thanks!
oldcrow
Hey folks, my BoM for the CS80 filter board for Shruthi is up at

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jNXI8947NW628pnQRG4GpoMQCGVEtA mx1D3AcOFtXS0/edit?usp=sharing

If you have an SVF2 board and socketed the chips, they can be transplanted to the CS80 filter board to save on parts if desired. I will order boards this week.

--Crow
/**/
Dude163
Awesome !! How much will they be Crow ?
oldcrow
These few I have on hand are $25 ea. When I order a larger batch they'll be $20 ea. --Crow

Dude163 wrote:
Awesome !! How much will they be Crow ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5