MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

"Reactions" to the D-2000
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author "Reactions" to the D-2000
metasonix
Worth posting, because they're funny.

Peter Kirn of Create Digital Music:
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/04/metasonix-made-immoral-drum-mach ine-vacuum-tubes/
Quote:
It is “rude and immoral.” Metasonix amusingly concede that they’ve had customers think their gear is broken – sorry, that’s how it’s meant to sound.

I mean, of course, all of this is ridiculous. The unit will set you back US$1895 – and that’s if you can buy it at all. It’s exclusively at Big City Music. (Someone, somewhere here in Europe will buy one and pay the import taxes – you go, person.)

It’s almost as though the whole product is an insult to … sort of everyone. Not taking the hint, Synthtopia commenters jump onboard to savage the unit as a painful waste of money. (Though, to anyone saying this sounds like farts, I want sound samples of your farts.)

They’re missing the point. It is a painful waste of money.

And it’s completely brilliant. It’s nice to see Metasonix’s insanity back in the game.

It’s a limited run, so … yeah, obviously, this is a limited run.

I mean, you really actually should probably buy an Octatrack and then just get some distortion pedals – they’re just US$1299 at Big City, and while they’re not getting Overbridge, they’re beautiful music machines. Or even get a volca sample. Or, probably, just about anything and a distortion pedal.

But, then, should is not a word that can even be applied to this machine. Immoral is right. And I’m glad it exists. And to anyone crazy enough to buy it, I want to meet you. I … just might keep a cell phone on me and have my escape vehicle ready with some backup. But don’t take it personally. Seriously, let’s hang in your … studio … a bit. Also, you’re buying lunch: you can afford it.
cry hihi

As usual, they "can get all those sounds with a $5 iPad app", of course. Riiight.

Even better, Synthtopia. Read the comments.
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2015/04/28/metasonix-d-2000-vacuum-t ube-drum-machine-will-blow-your-ass-off
Quote:
Amongst all the other, obvious terrible things about this product – are we just calling a things that can make shit drum sounds a “drum machine” now? Doesn’t it need some sort of onboard sequencer thing to be a drum machine? Also – I’ve got a mattel synsonics drum thing and a behringer distortion pedal for sale; $1,000 sound about right? Email me!
Quote:
Know when you have screwed up your product launch? When everyone on Synthtopia agrees about something.

Seriously, though, I would get this idea if it was $400. But this could absolutely be recreated by running basically anything which can make drum sounds through a filter and a tube distortion pedal. For a tiny fraction of this cost, you could have a far more capable system, where the horrible could be turned on and off at will.

It’s almost May 1, a little late for and April Fool’s joke, yeah?

oooh, did I offend someone? Oh dear!
slow_riot
I think you nailed it with this design Eric.

I abhor the ubiquity of the Roland x0x rhythm machines, they have dominated the structure of modern music for too long. And I say that as a techno music fan.

Long may you have enough food to eat to keep the niche alive.
Smokey
metasonix wrote:

oooh, did I offend someone? Oh dear!

You did take it up a notch this time. Maybe half a notch. SlayerBadger!

Did the D-1000 have this sort of reaction at first?
metasonix
Smokey wrote:
Did the D-1000 have this sort of reaction at first?

On Synthtopia, oh yeah. Their comments section suffers from much YouTube style trollery.
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2010/01/18/metasonix-d-1000-vacuum-t ube-drum-machine/

Kirn didn't even mention it on his blog at the time. I'll let you search on Gearslutz for the really stupid shit.

Oh, right, Sonic State also ran it today:
http://www.sonicstate.com/amped/2015/04/29/not-a-drum-machine-for-bar- bands/?utm_source=related&utm_medium=related_box&utm_campaign=rel_stor ies
One comment:
Quote:
anthonythecat Said...What madman would pay that much money for such a terrible sounding device?
Moog$FooL$
he he.... yeah sorta chuckle-worthy.

one thing...... do either writers actually have a unit to base the review on, or did they just listen to soundclouds?? zombie

the bit about running a drum machine through a tube distortion pedal to basically do the same thing. umm??? d'oh! d'oh!

i once owned (long ago) a Tube Works Real Tube pedal & it was fucking useless!!! MY ASS IS BLEEDING
metasonix
Moog$FooL$ wrote:
one thing...... do either writers actually have a unit to base the review on, or did they just listen to soundclouds??

No one has actually reviewed it yet. They are condemning a device solely based on the short Soundcloud I posted.

So go and "correct" them, if you like. (Probably a waste of time, admittedly....)
CaptainMab
People seem to have the misconception that everything is priced to deeply offend their morals.
I do enjoy that if you think it sounds great, you're a pretentious blowhard, and if you don't like it, you're a drooling ape. It makes everyone with an opinion on the device an asshole.
Sooo personally I think it sounds great. It's true, Metasonix does it because no one else can.
metasonix
CaptainMab wrote:
People seem to have the misconception that everything is priced to deeply offend their morals.

Thanks. You've noticed that the gear market is horribly saturated and the price wars are brutal. So lots of amateurs and gear nerds automatically assume that everything should cost because it all "has to" be cheap to manufacture.

If the cost of electronic music gear had kept pace with inflation in the last 30 years, something comparable to a LinnDrum would cost $20,000 today.
CaptainMab
I was talking to this guy Andy Babiuk the other day, famous in the guitar gear world, he deals with a lot of really rich guys and he was telling me he has a client that went out and bought these $2,000 NOS tubes, 3 in total, that he keeps in a box and only puts them in his amp when he "wants to hear that sound. It made me realize that hardly anyone (save for you) understands what tubes can and cannot do. That said, I give it five years until Gibson reissues the Clavioline and we all laugh as synthtopia and gear slutz whinge about "minikeys" and the $1000 dollar price tag. ffs
MATSmile
People are so fucking dumb, hhahaha applause
Sometimes I really want to punch people through Inet
metasonix
CaptainMab wrote:
I was talking to this guy Andy Babiuk the other day, famous in the guitar gear world, he deals with a lot of really rich guys and he was telling me he has a client that went out and bought these $2,000 NOS tubes, 3 in total, that he keeps in a box and only puts them in his amp when he "wants to hear that sound.

You would be disturbed to know how many guitarists, especially middle-aged amateurs, do this shit now. It's called "tone questing" and it's driving much of the market for guitar gear. The buttholes commenting on those blogs don't complain about tone questers --- because some of them ARE tone questers.

And $2k for 3 preamp tubes is not unusual anymore. Those are probably not the big-ass favorites with questers, which have been early Mullard ECC83s or CV4004s for a while. That guy is probably using much rarer things like Philips SQs or early Siemens E83CCs. 30 years ago all this stuff was very common, now people practically kill each other to get them.

If you don't believe me, go to the ham radio flea market at DeAnza College sometime. Anyone who puts out a lot of old tubes for sale will be assaulted by lunatics. Who of course, only want audio types they can resell for huge money. "I'll give you $2 for these" and then turn around and eBay them for $150. Watch one of those piles for a couple of hours and I guarantee you will see people quietly stealing tubes.

Wanna see a dealer who charges such prices?
http://www.tejastubes.com/12ax7/

Meanwhile, people beg me to take their 5U8s.
CaptainMab
If you ever want to vomit/laugh/cry, just leaf through an issue of "Guitar Aficionado." a magazine about "Guitar's, Watches, Wine, Cars, and The Deluxe Life."
http://www.guitaraficionado.com/magazine.html
just look at Kevin Bacon's smug little face. They look like they're in a wind tunnel. I can't look at Kevin Bacon without thinking about his dick from the Hollow Man movie.

So, what do you know about those AMT "Solid State Tubes?" Is the future going to bring the first solid state tube synth from Metasonix?
metasonix
CaptainMab wrote:
If you ever want to vomit/laugh/cry, just leaf through an issue of "Guitar Aficionado." a magazine about "Guitar's, Watches, Wine, Cars, and The Deluxe Life."
http://www.guitaraficionado.com/magazine.html

I'm truly amazed the Guitar Aficionado has managed to stay in business as long as it has. What is their "secret", just plain outright snobbery?

Quote:
So, what do you know about those AMT "Solid State Tubes?" Is the future going to bring the first solid state tube synth from Metasonix?

You mean these things? They've been pushing this since 2013 and I have yet to see or hear of anyone using them.
http://eshop.amtelectronics.com/6l6-12ax7-amt-electronics-solid-state- tubes.html

I wish AMT the best of luck. They will need it. People with advanced degrees in engineering keep hearing about the continued popularity of tube amps, and go "this is stupid, I can exactly duplicate this with high-voltage MOSFETs". So they go into business, put out egotistical press releases, and lose their shirts. The AMT thing is, I think, the fifth "solid-state tube replacement" for guitar amps I've seen someone trying to market in the last 25 years. None of them has ever survived more than a couple of years. The only halfway-successful maker of "exact simulations of tube amps with solid state" was Pritchard Amps, and he's only had moderate success with his (heavily patented) designs.

If you don't count DSP-based things, like Line 6, which are now widely copied, and still not having a major impact on the sales of tube amps.
noisefield
don't really get the point of these reactions ...
like they doesn't like you
they havn't test it and their conclusions are stupids
they are stupids in fact
you're right it's a wast of time ...
dang_motu
I don't know. Is it odd that a site with the mission statement "Create Digital Music" should be commenting/reviewing on an arcane vacuum synth?
EarlJemmings
Internet comments on the D-2000 just make me constantly d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!

It's astounding how much of a mob has formed.
and SO MANY drum machine+tube pedal=this
like, have you ever used a drum machine through tubes? That's not how things work.
ActionMaxVA
Haters gonna hate.

When people don't understand something or are afraid or intimidated they show it like this.
I have gotten amazing sonic territory out of my D-1000.
I also have a machinedrum, they are not comparable.
Each tool has it's place.
I am working on getting a D-2000, I know what I will be buying, It will be worth every dollar.
If 2K seems expensive for a "Drum Machine" go back to your stolen plugins.
You get what you pay for.
If you are buying the D-2000 you most likely have sequencers covered and to be honest so far I don't use the D-1000 sequencer.
Not for any reason, I just have not gotten into it yet the sound section is so deep.

Just hope all publicity is good publicity and keep doing what you do.
otoskope
Wow, I didn't even know it was out already. Congrats! Too bad the US$ is so expensive right now (for us Europeans). But I'm happy with my D1000! Would love to upgrade at some point, though.

Not surpised about the online comments. Even new Nord synths get ridiculed before release, based on complete misunderstandings and sheer incompetence. Amazing that people "know" so well how things are without trying. The stupider the louder, it seems, as usual.

Keep up the good work, Eric!
dadek
I was so bummed to have missed the D-1000 that I jumped at this. spent my first couple hours with it today.
Yes, I knew what I was getting. So awesome.
I was quite surprisied by Kirn's comments. Shows the true depth of the commentary coming from that site... d'oh!
Kummer
Well... I prefer the sound of the D-1000. I'm not saying this is bad but for me personally, I like the D-1000 more. I hope those drum sounds (from the D-1000) will be released as individual modules at some point!
M6live
How about we gather audio reactions in this thread.
Steelshank
ActionMaxVA wrote:
Haters gonna hate.

When people don't understand something or are afraid or intimidated they show it like this.
I have gotten amazing sonic territory out of my D-1000.
I also have a machinedrum, they are not comparable.
Each tool has it's place.
I am working on getting a D-2000, I know what I will be buying, It will be worth every dollar.
If 2K seems expensive for a "Drum Machine" go back to your stolen plugins.
You get what you pay for.
If you are buying the D-2000 you most likely have sequencers covered and to be honest so far I don't use the D-1000 sequencer.
Not for any reason, I just have not gotten into it yet the sound section is so deep.

Just hope all publicity is good publicity and keep doing what you do.

I fully agree with this. I am a D-1000 owner and plan on buying the D-2000. I also own a machinedrum and a slew of other drum machines. There is a time and place for lots of different synths and drums. Are people really that closed minded? Well, yes. Yes, they are.

You know what I say? Fuck 'em, their loss.
Mat
EB, what you are doing is a convenient move for musicians .... keep your excellent work bro!
TheBradster
The way I figure it, I could buy 379 $5 iPad apps for the price of this! I mean, that has to be the better way for me to spend my money, right?

Except I don't have a fucking iPad. Or any desire to buy one, or (least of all) to make music with one.
jules
It's all in french, so I'll do some translation underneath.
I'm amazed by the negative wind it blows...
At least you hit a sensitive spot.

Here (it's the comments to the "news" which is pretty neutral itself"
http://fr.audiofanzine.com/bar/metasonix/d-2000/forums/t.594721,commen taires-sur-la-news-boite-a-rythmes-metasonix-d-2000.html

"demos with over saturated sound, price totally over the top for only 5 possible sounds.. In "I dream of wire" the metasonix guy is taking the piss of buchla, mentioning that he could shit in a bag and sell it. He's not far from that himself"

"It's the most rotten sound I've ever heard from a drum machine.
I listened to the demo, curious to ear what kind of sound would come out something made with lamps. No surprise: it's shit" He later on agrees that it could be expensive to make such a box.

"the worst brand ever: the pretentiousness is as high as the abyssal uselessness of their machine. The sound is horrible, the interface a disaster, and it's overpriced".

Etc... They go on about the shit website, the disclaimer which is rude to the customers, that it's easy to call people idiots for not being able to use their machine...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3