MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MI Ripples, how do you like it?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author MI Ripples, how do you like it?
acidbob
I am strongly considering purchasing the mutable instruments ripples filter, but I have a lot of filters already and I am a bit unsure what it can bring that the others cant.

How do you like yours and how is it compared to other filters?
Kingnimrod
I like it. It definitely has a Roland-ish quality to it.Sounds nice for the price and hp, and the integrated VCA is handy.
setsun8
It is a really nice smooth filter. With increased resonance there is not much drop of in loudness which is why I really like it, especially for bass. It really depends on what you currently own and what it will add to your setup. It also has a VCA option on the LP filter which is handy for smaller setups
acidbob
Kingnimrod wrote:
I like it. It definitely has a Roland-ish quality to it.Sounds nice for the price and hp, and the integrated VCA is handy.

It's really hard to tell from the demo's I think.

I was kind of thinking it would sound nice with my MFB tripple DCO, to get a kind of Juno vibe going
erstlaub
Very very much thanks.

More character than the fairly dull but workmanlike uVcf and more versatile in range and outputs than my z2040.

The internal vca comes in handy at times too.

I love the sound of it.
acidbob
Other filters that I have are:

Doepfer A-103
Bubblesound SEM
Gotharman TubaZ
Gotharman CS80
Synth tech E440
STG Post lawsuit
Frequensteiner
EMW multi bandpass filter
And the dark energy v.1 which can act as a filter as well
sloth713
Also it sounds smooth and absolutely fantastic when FM'd. And I just love how "juicy" (for lack of a better term) the resonance is. The only thing I would ever change about Ripples is to add a high pass filter output.
acidbob
Ok, so you pretty much convinced me.

I never really liked the Sem20, dunno, it's not really me.
I like the telemark filter better for some reason, so I am planning to swap them at some point. I have a Semblance and you can run audio through that and it sounds absolutely fantastic if you ask me, it's like it has some kind of magic to it... especially the resonance which for me is very musical
RyanDais
I really love mine. Takes up very little room yet has a lot in a small package. The built-in VCA has a lot of aggressive character which I love. Highly recommend!
portervance
Ripples is fantastic. It's multimode, has a VCA, it's incredibly compact for a filter, and it sounds beautiful. With the Shruthi's I was always a fan of the SMR-4 filter and I believe this is what the Ripples filter is based off of.
portervance
Ripples is fantastic. It's multimode, has a VCA, it's incredibly compact for a filter, and it sounds beautiful. With the Shruthi's I was always a fan of the SMR-4 filter and I believe this is what the Ripples filter is based off of.
Flohr
I love mine. It was my first Euro filter so it set the benchmark that I compare all others to. Can go from silky to squelchy with ease. Attenuvertor on the 2nd FM input is crucial. Also makes a good sine oscillator. Absolutely love it as a bass drum/sub.
ben_hex
Ripples is great and I agree it's Roland like in character which will work with your other filters. Cv over resonance is great (you don't always see that), two inputs for cut off control and the vca is really useful too.
ben_hex
Damn those debug errors making me double post! zombie
acidbob
Thanks guys thumbs up

Ben, are there any other in the history of muffs with so many posts in only 2 years besides you? What I mean is, you are always very helpful but dude, I think you have an addiction Miley Cyrus
ben_hex
It is pretty ridiculous when you look at the numbers! acidbob But ... I have a lot to post with my videos which leads to conversation giving me lots to reply to and I like to chip in and ask questions and try and help. The community has been wicked and led to all sorts for me, so I feel I owe it try and help if I can and keep on top of what's going on.

Also I have a very strange going on workwise days are either really hard or fairly easy so it gives me time to drop in and out. I also have plenty of time rendering big projects (either audio or video) again giving me opportunities to pop in and out.

I'll stop trying to defend my mild muff addiction, come to think of it there's a T-Shirt in that "Mild Muff Addiction" haha
acidbob
I love your videos, they are really great. I remember one of your first posts and was quite suprices by the number
pwranml
So far I really like ripples.

I have weird taste in filters. For instance I generally care more about response to white noise fm than volume drop w/ resonance.

So far I've had the e440, pittsburgh fltr, ripples and uvcf. I found the uvcf to be too "sterile" sounding so I bailed on it. I've only had ripples for a little while now and it hasn't carved out a home for itself like the e440 yet which I immediately loved. Ripples definitely has character though and I'm slowly finding out what it excels at. I think the bandpass is perfect and has a good "width". It's convenient to mult an eg to the FREQ and GAIN to a sort of resonant lpg type setup.
dang_motu
Got ripples. What is a good vca or envelope pairing for a roland-a-like finish?
portervance
What did you think of the Pitts FLTR if I may ask?
orangehexagon
dang_motu wrote:
Got ripples. What is a good vca or envelope pairing for a roland-a-like finish?

intellijel dual ADSR all the way
MrNovember
I usually end up droning or making noise oriented patches but I decided to try something a little more melodic today. So I patched DPO into Ripples into a delay and used Maths to control the VCA in Ripples. Then I sequenced it all with Pressure Points: one channel controlling V/Oct of the DPO, one controlling the cutoff of Ripples, and one controlling the feedback of the delay. I have to say that this is really where the Ripples shines. It's still pretty great for shaping the sound of a drone or noise patch but it's just so useful in a melodic patch
rutabaga40
Yea, the included VCA also makes it handy in smaller systems...or micro systems like my little carry-on travel kit!

[/img]
Ish
Might not be the most helpful, but there is a video out there that does a blind shootout between a bunch of Eurorack filters, and I personally thought the Ripples sounded like one of the worst in the test.

*edit: it was likely this, but I haven't the time to check it out again (at work): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIeB-otbam0

It wasn't objectively bad, but just didn't resonate with my ears (pun intended).

(and, of course, the maker of said video is participating in this thread and really supports it, so take that as a counter commentary).

*edit 2: To be more constructive with my criticisms (though you can listen yourself), I found the filter didn't have a sense of character, and was perhaps too pristine ('smooth' as others are saying). My personal preference are for weirder, more chaotic self oscillation sounds.
stressstest
Stepping in to mostly agree with what everyone is already saying. Ripples sounds very smooth, and if you like smooth filters, very 'good'; the extra features are very useful.
I ended up with mine after a visit to Big City Music. A/B'd a bunch of different filters and Ripples was the one that one me (and my buddy), over.
But we both like the sound of classic, rounder filters. There was a Borg next to Ripples, and while many people on here will tell you that the Borg is the bee's knees, we both hated it, too wild and grungy for us. Just my perspective.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4