MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Some new nw2s modules in the pipeline
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> nw2s Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Some new nw2s modules in the pipeline
scottwilson
Been working on a few ideas... a couple of these will be prioritized, but they are all at least started. Most are ready for prototyping at this point.

http://nw2s.net/future-future/

And now I will be able to get back to the business at hand - the 1.1 firmware... I have too many things in my head!

s
myecholalia
Wow, some great ideas there. Love what you've done with the b2. Please tell me it's coming out this year thumbs up
dadek
eek!
uhhmm.
Dead Banana
wow.
Matos
The c looks insane! Woah! To the max!
ignatius
that panner module.. i'd advise putting the L input on the L and the R input on the R instead of stacking horizontally. does my brain in.. am i the only one?

lot's of cool ideas in the others!
myecholalia
Had another look at the c. Are you moving into possibly monome aleph territory here? eek!
scottwilson
The b2 is well under way, so yes, I expect at least the panner and b2 this year. Hopefully something with some DSP as well...

The 'c is a grand plan, but may be easier to start with something that's the size of the b2 with a Sharc chip and audio IO rather than as much CV.

As to the aleph-ness... True that it's in the same vein... microcontroller + dsp with CV/clock/audio IO, but it's got a different MCU and a different DSP... and it's euro. Similar architecture though in that the DSP boots over serial from the host MCU (This is not uncommon - think TDM DSP plugins in ProTools as well). It's definitely a long-term goal.

Thanks for the feedback folks - and for the panels, I'll definitely let Wes@Grayscale have a pass at them as I always do. I just didn't want to inundate him with all my craziness without some initial thoughts.
gattis
Like the idea of the b2 and c! Basically hardware equivalent to MI braids and elements (plus a nice DSP on the c). Like the LCD additions and the exposed USB ports on these ones.

Make sure you slap a wm8731 codec on the c so we can get some high quality ADC and DAC pre-filtered/decimated. Check out the elements' design for reference: https://github.com/pichenettes/eurorack/tree/master/elements/hardware_ design

At least a good DAC would be nice on the b2 as well, Olivier uses the DAC8551 on the Braids.

I definitely would like to see both of them be open source design, you'll get more DIY folks adopting (and writing sketches), it's pretty easy to reverse engineer digital designs anyway, and with surface mount stuff of this complexity I think mutable instruments has shown that cheap DIY clones aren't very feasible even though he open sources everything.
gattis
and good job ditching the full arduino due attachment on the b2. though since it's still arduino I would love to see the basic shield pins exposed. then i could shut up about audio quality and put my own ADC/DAC shield on it.
bryantcheramie
That mic pre. If it had LED's to indicate the input level/clipping, I'm sold. I dont know if I could buy a mic pre without them though.
gattis
And final point on the c, check out the OWL pedal, some good lessons to learn there. It's basically just another STM32F405+WM8731 with an extra 512K of sram.

http://hoxtonowl.com/wiki/File:Owl-digital-rev04-schematic.pdf

It seems very capable of DSP work (lots of good-sounding effects patches) without an added DSP chip. The M4 might already have enough DSP for you. The MI elements is certainly proof of that as well.

And I would lobby for that 512K of added sram too, would make a world of difference for hackers to work with for audio.
scottwilson
Yup - the b2 and c will be open source - as will the mic pre. The ADC/DAC on the b2 will be dedicated 16 bit SARs (Good for CV, less good for audio). The DAC alone is a beautiful $50 chip, but is a native +/- 10V buffered output. With software tuning, there won't be any pots.

I'll expose as many of the IO pins as possible, but it won't be in the same form factor as the Due - simply because their form factor makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and makes it nearly impossible to have any more chips on a board beyond what's already there.

I've been thinking about the c - and i'll probably have an intermediate step beforehand...

a Due with a Blackfin attached would be a bit more useful for open source coding than an STM32F4 with Sharc. Tho the latter is immensely more powerful, entry level for a Sharc development setup is $2500 or so. There are gcc toolchains for the Blackfin at least.

And yes, there will be a good oversampling audio ADC and audio DAC attached to the DSP chips for sure.

More later - finishing up some new code for the b before I start releasing some updates on the b2, pan, and preamp.

s
scottwilson
(I am eyeing a bit more than 512K SRAM - shooting for 128Mbit of 16 bit wide SDRAM.)

Gives more flexibility for sampling/looping/slicing type algorithms.
gattis
sweet! the 16 bit SAR would be great for the b2 ADC, and anything better than the Due's built-in DAC would be fine for audio. I imagine you could do some nice wavetable or digital synthesis algos with the Due if only it had a decent DAC. And yea the shield pinout isn't that important, the existing audio shields for arduino aren't that great anyway. But if you stuck them (along with the other headers) on the bottom of a 2-sided PCB you would still have lots of room on the top for chips.

and yes as an open source dev would definitely be down to write STM32F4+blackfin code, seems ideal for someone who wants to play with DSP and doesn't want to write it in assembly or pay $2500 for developer tools.

great call on the SDRAM too, didn't realize that was a possibility on the STM32F4
scottwilson
The due does _okay_ but you hit a wall pretty quickly when trying to do anything frequency-domain based rather than time domain. All of the wavetable work I've done on the due requires a bit of pre-processing and kludging.

I'm also hitting a wall with SPI speed to access multiple sample streams stored on SD card, and it can't use external memory... so once I have something else which is a bit better suited for heavy duty audio, then I can leave the DUE for CV duties and time-domain synthesis and stop banging my head on that wall.

s
Agawell
Hi Scott...

for the b2 would it be possible to add an expansion header (or headers) for more I/O

for example to add another 16 cv inputs

cheers

Jim
scottwilson
Yes, I'll upload a PCB layout image soon which will make more sense. It'll require some DIY, but the pin headers will all be exposed.
Riggar
Exciting stuff - look forward to following these developments. The panner looks great!
zilzilzilzil
Amazing. The mic pre seems like a really good idea
krz
[quote="scottwilson"]Been working on a few ideas... a couple of these will be prioritized, but they are all at least started. Most are ready for prototyping at this point.

And now I will be able to get back to the business at hand - the 1.1 firmware... I have too many things in my head!

s[/quote]

Watched the u2b demo.
Best, most exciting, amazing, versatile module
I've seen so far. [glow=darkred][/glow]
spacenoodle
...Very quiet here in nw2s land. I wonder what's on his bench. Waiting patiently for news about the new digital modules and loving my good old b!
scottwilson
A bit quiet... yet somehow I find myself never sleeping!

Waiting on a dev board for the new TI Sitara processor. The b2/dsp will be based on that. A dual core 1.5GHz Arm 15 with two on-board C66x DSP cores. It'll run ubuntu.

It's a bit of a change, but assuming the two C66x are at least as capable as the new SHARC+, then it'll be a step up even from the SHARC+ which has only a 400Mhz Arm core that runs buildroot linux.

Also, the SOMs (system on module) for the Sitara are about $150 while the SOM for SHARC+ is over $300.

So there's that, there's the firmata (max/msp support) for the 'b that needs to be tested and released with the 1.1 firmware... I've managed to get rid of the Arduino IDE support for 1.1 and now am using make/gcc tool chain. Arduino was driving me crazy and they are sinking themselves with their political bickering.

I redesigned the mic pre a bit to get the face smaller and also designed a transformer balanced stereo output that is waiting on an order from cinemag at the moment.

So lots of progress, but little to show for it... soon! Assuming my wife doesn't shoot me. :)

-s

Derp
Oh god yes, that API preamp clone is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm moving away from outboard because modular is just too convenient. If I can get a good-quality mic preamp in my rig, then I'll have everything I need to make it so. Any idea on a release date on that?
alaindusmith
scottwilson wrote:
A bit quiet... yet somehow I find myself never sleeping!

Waiting on a dev board for the new TI Sitara processor. The b2/dsp will be based on that. A dual core 1.5GHz Arm 15 with two on-board C66x DSP cores. It'll run ubuntu.

It's a bit of a change, but assuming the two C66x are at least as capable as the new SHARC+, then it'll be a step up even from the SHARC+ which has only a 400Mhz Arm core that runs buildroot linux.

Also, the SOMs (system on module) for the Sitara are about $150 while the SOM for SHARC+ is over $300.

So there's that, there's the firmata (max/msp support) for the 'b that needs to be tested and released with the 1.1 firmware... I've managed to get rid of the Arduino IDE support for 1.1 and now am using make/gcc tool chain. Arduino was driving me crazy and they are sinking themselves with their political bickering.

I redesigned the mic pre a bit to get the face smaller and also designed a transformer balanced stereo output that is waiting on an order from cinemag at the moment.

So lots of progress, but little to show for it... soon! Assuming my wife doesn't shoot me. smile

-s

Hey man, is the quality of this mic pre actually comparible to the original? If so, I'm extremely excited and want one this morning. please have my money immediately.
ideasculptor
scottwilson wrote:
Been working on a few ideas... a couple of these will be prioritized, but they are all at least started. Most are ready for prototyping at this point.

s

so, about those balanced ::io modules... I was looking at them for a while, and analogue haven and others had them in stock, and then as soon as I was ready to pull the trigger, every store on the planet was suddenly out of stock. What is the likelihood of another run anytime soon? I really need one.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> nw2s Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2