MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Other Add n to [X] fans here?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Other Add n to [X] fans here?
Sugarnspice
Surely if ever there was a place I might find fellow fans, this'd be it. Though they were more analogue than modular specifically. They set my love of synths to new heights and showed me that these machines are like musical beasts as organic sounding and artful to master as any other instrument..

This is one of my fave tracks, come out on hexagonal 10" vinyl.

oootini
Some great albums by these guys!

On the wires of our nerves a favourite.
oscillateur
I saw them once, quite a long time ago now. Very good.

My favourite album is still Avant Hard, but most of their stuff was awesome indeed...
99centimos
My favourite band probably, and still an inspiration when I'm patching my modular.
Suburban Bather
One of the first bands I got into while discovering electronic music. +1 on Avant Hard and On The Wires of Our Nerves. Those albums are amazeballz This is fun!
Amberclock
I've only listened to Avant Hard, great album. Revenge of the Black Regent is stunning.
Section956
Yep, but it has been a while since I have listened to them. Was a big fan of Avant Hard.
tIB
Yes, like them although haven't listened for a long while. I remember liking loud like nature quite a lot too. Little documentary here:

Sugarnspice
On the wires of our nerves blew my mind especially 'Murmur One'.

Avant Hard again 'Revenge of the Black Regent'

Still one of my all time fave bands, listen to them all the time, I think it's the gristle they get into their gear.... Kraftwerk are clean and exacting, Add N to X was such an eye opener!

Would have LOVED to see them live but they never came to Australia, my love of the MS-20 comes directly from them. I'd love a Wasp and a Rogue as well!!!
99centimos
I had the luck of seeing them live in Spain, they played in a small venue with Echoboy (another fine synth band of the era) and it blew my mind.
tIB
Wasn't Echoboy the guy from the Hybirds? I know them only because they were local to me and I rather liked this record at the time:

Sorry for the derail, never heard any Echoboy - any good?
99centimos
Yes, that was Richard Warren. He was tempted into joining Oasis but choose to carry on with his project Echoboy.

Echoboy were very good, IMHO. Very kraut-ish at times, in a moment where it was not as usual as it has become. They made a more pop album, 'Giraffe', that was very good but the tour was a disaster -saw them supporting The Postal Service and was really bad. It looks like they never recover from that. But the albums are great, check them out.
trickness
Man, forgot about these guys. Haven't listened to them in at least ten years, great stuff.
BugBrand
When I saw them live (?98 99 ish?) they had two drummers - think they played regular with stereolab - it was f'ing great! Synths were good but drummers were the righteous drivers!
rezzn8r
Big fan
I've seen them twice
The Regent songs are all great but my favourite might be the march of pure mathematical evil that ends and results in war

Ranxerox
I've got (and like) 'Little Black Rocks in the Sun', but I've never completely dived into their back catalogue. What's good - 'Avant Hard' I take it?
tIB
99centimos wrote:
Yes, that was Richard Warren. He was tempted into joining Oasis but choose to carry on with his project Echoboy.

Echoboy were very good, IMHO. Very kraut-ish at times, in a moment where it was not as usual as it has become. They made a more pop album, 'Giraffe', that was very good but the tour was a disaster -saw them supporting The Postal Service and was really bad. It looks like they never recover from that. But the albums are great, check them out.

Cheers for the info. Think I saw the hybirds live back when but wasn't keen on anything other than that one track, which talking of them is very oasis-like. Will try to check some echoboy then.

And yes, two drummers always better than one!
ectoplasm
This was pretty much my favorite band when I was around 19, in fact it was mostly them that made me decide that I needed to get some actual analog equipment. Not knowing much about options other than Moog at the time, I bought my MS-20 mainly because they said finding one in a junk shop was what inspired them to get started.

Eventually I became really sick of them for a while, honestly I was harboring feelings that I could do something more interesting with the selection of gear they had amassed angry , but just recently dug up all their albums and have been revisiting it.

I think they started out great from 'On The Wires Of Our Nerves' - each release after that seems a good bit weaker than the one before it.
dude
i loved them when i was a teenchild. they haven't aged well. i find a few tracks i can enjoy slightly but mostly it feels poorly mixed and too punk (i hate punk). i do still want to love them but it just hasn't aged well. bjork is mostly like that for me too. lots of the childhood pop/ off-pop isn't quite what it used to be. but then i put on some aretha franklin or something and ,well, that shit has not lost ANYTHING to my ears. so i tend to to have lost respect for much of what i used to love.

but i did love this band a lot, enough to see them twice. first show with ann. the second show had more people, no ann and was pretty crappy. i guess ann sort of made the band for me. barry 7 seemed like a pretty big douche. but iwas was probably out of it and very socially awkward.

holy fuck do i digress.

enjoy people!

plug me in q-chord. i bought a q-chord because of that i think. didn't know it at the time.
Scories
I was more into Plone back in the days when they were hyped :

Sugarnspice
Ahhh plone, yes, all that warped stuff was pretty big then.

If you're just starting to get into them Avant Hard and On The Wires Of Our Nerves are the two albums to get.

I disagree that they've lost anything over time. I do agree their albums got worse as they went on, and I definitely think Barry 7 had some ego issues. But I never met the guy.

I'm not huge into punk, but I was into grunge, and I was forever annoyed that electronic music had devolved from the heights of Kraftwerk, Devo and Jean Michel Jarre into very the very proliferous and very bland techno.

Add N to X brought the chaos and playfulness back. They were experimental and proud, and there were no f'ing laptops!

And yeah the two drummers sound mazing!

And don get me wrong I love me some laptop electronica, but I do admire this band for being so different to what anyone else seemed to be doing.
leeski
Great band and cool sound got some Musique concrète records from Barry 7 with a discount so he good thumbs up
ectoplasm
Also, I wouldnt give it an especially huge recommendation; but for anyone who finds they cant get enough of this stuff, Ann put out a pretty obscure album with a new band a little while after the breakup called Large Number... It would be a way better record if there were no vocals, some of them really make me cringe. It definately fits the whole Add N to X asthetic though, and theres some worthwhile moments in there. Also a banjo player in there occasionally, which works surprisingly well.
Sugarnspice
Yeah I agree Large Number was a disappointment, the vocals being a big part of it.

Barry sevens, "spider and the flies" is better.

But it's not the same as the whole.

Steve claydon also did one track on a compilation arkanoid/wicked cool remix which is very CHIPTUNES, very musical and makes me wonder if he wasn't the boy genius that pulled the whole thing together.

Love to know what he's doing now.
ectoplasm
I always did get the impression that Steve was sort of the Chris Carter to their Throbbing Gristle...

Never heard of that Spider and the Flies thing, I'll check it out.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2