MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MIDIfy and complete my BB system
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Author MIDIfy and complete my BB system

Tajnost

After 6 happy months of sleepless nights and experiments with my small system I started to think little by little how to make it complete and fully integrated into the workflow. And here I guess I need some help and advice from your side.

This is how the system looks right now:

So, what?

First of all I want midi control. I specified my modular midi needs and after a little research I've found a solution - Modcan MIDICV 63A ( http://www.modcan.com/amodules/midicv.html ). It's perfectly equipped with very useful features like MIDI CLK out, CC outs and of course 4 channels of CV/Gate. I guess it's easy to build stand alone case for it... Perfect!

But...

Will it work flawlessly with BB?
Is there any underlying potential problems of using it with PB and VM?
Finally this Modcan is quite pricy, so maybe there's something similar in features but more affordable? Maybe there are DIY kits for the similar functionality module?

If you cast a look at my system pictures, you should notice 2 empty spaces in a first row. I feel it should be filled with something more useful than blank panels. And after some experience with the system I painfully feel the lack of NOISE source and the 3rd VCO...

As long as BB modules are nowadays extremely hard to get separately I'm wondering is there any other fracrack modules available now, modules which would fit into BB case and will work fine as a part of the system? Of course it would best to get a couple blue BB pieces, but I'm not sure if there will be such a chance anytime soon.

Open to any recommendations, ideas and offers regarding to the empty space filling problem wink

best,
P

BugBrand

Hmm - can't say I know much about what goes on in Midi-to-CV world (I have a kenton - or Minibrute covers some bits perhaps)
I made an Expert Sleepers ES3 conversion for a friend several years ago - that's an alternative control method, though obviously ties you in to using a computer.
Korg SQ1 is a current favourite (though not at all what you're suggesting!) - things being that it has a lot for not very much $$$ -- maybe it can also do Midi clock to gate output? (presume so - use a gate channel = interesting)

Wonder if something like Mutable CVPal may be of interest? Do you need something big (x4 channels) like the Modcan or would, perhaps, a couple of smaller different units be more interesting?

Can't see any problems with using the modcan with the bugs..

Tajnost

Yep, it depends on how deep you want to get. For my basic sync/gate/midi ideas now I also use Kenton with some weird hand made banana adapters and TR606 which could do kind of gate/midi syncing with it's trig outs... It works somehow... But I imagine to have 4 CV/Gate channels with another 4 CC CV outs and use it with the spectrum of max/msp/m4l/ableton/sequencers to be seriously interesting with BB. And it should be quite a reliable, fast and precise solution.

After some research I still believe it's the way for me. But here another question is coming - where is it possible to get 1U housing for it (with the power, grounding... ) or who can make it...

Still no idea how to fill empty space on my system. Is anything like 2Frac Units OSC/NOISE/VCA banana module out where? Or am I still dreaming? smile

Tajnost

Actually, not dreaming at all ... DRM1 as a frac module (despite it's 3U ) could be the thing...

a100user

The BugBrand uses pretty standard cv and gate levels so any midi interface that works for 99% of Euro, ARP etc because they use 1V/October and 5V gates.

I use either a MiniBrute for keyboard work and I have a Kenton Pro 4 for other duties.

I have also played around withe Silent Way and CV Tools. All work fine.

Have a look at Doepfer or Ladik in the Euro world for good value MIDI interfaces, especially the Ladik as he does a variety of midi to CV, Cv to Midi etc and they are very well priced and the service is great.

tIB

I saw someone bananfy one of these recently-
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67404&sid=5b1b04fd55 9917b6e6da020d16b1efe7
http://www.edv-technik-ts.de

Its the way I would go- very configurable and well worth an RTFM!

tIB

Tajnost wrote:
Yep, it depends on how deep you want to get. For my basic sync/gate/midi ideas now I also use Kenton with some weird hand made banana adapters and TR606 which could do kind of gate/midi syncing with it's trig outs... It works somehow... But I imagine to have 4 CV/Gate channels with another 4 CC CV outs and use it with the spectrum of max/msp/m4l/ableton/sequencers to be seriously interesting with BB. And it should be quite a reliable, fast and precise solution.

After some research I still believe it's the way for me. But here another question is coming - where is it possible to get 1U housing for it (with the power, grounding... ) or who can make it...

Still no idea how to fill empty space on my system. Is anything like 2Frac Units OSC/NOISE/VCA banana module out where? Or am I still dreaming? smile

Bug Noise crusher could get you 2 of those things in one space, assuming you can find one. That and a frequency shifter would be my goal for this system, or maybe the VCA dist if you really need vca's.

Perhaps the drm1 would be a good add with an eye on moving it into a standalone case should you find more blues?

Tajnost

Thanks for the wise tip, tIB wink! Never paid attention to Frequency Shifter and it's connection with Quadrature... Very interesting! Of course Noise Crusher would be perfect for VCA/Noise/more (and I can use my LowPass Gate as a 3rd VCA ) and such a combo with FrqShft would be killer for my system...

The problem is they both are too rare! And I guess I even know another person on the planet who is hunting for such a combo smile

tIB

True, though that doesn't make it impossible to find- I' have those on my backburner while filling with something else in the shorter term.

Have you seen the Stroh modules? https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=133251
Some of those have been sold in blue recently...

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Page 1 of 1