MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Pro Tools crashes whem opening Silent Way over other plugins
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author Pro Tools crashes whem opening Silent Way over other plugins
Luigi
When I open Silent Way plugin and have another vst plugin, or synth, open Pro Tools crashes everytime. eek!

As u can see I have my Mpc Ren plugin first, and then I open Silent Way and Pro Tools just crashes every time. sad banana
os
This is Windows?

Which version of Pro Tools?
Luigi
os wrote:
This is Windows?

Which version of Pro Tools?

Win 7 and Pro Tools 11
os
Are your graphics drivers up to date?
Luigi
os wrote:
Are your graphics drivers up to date?

Installed the latest drivers, still crashes confused
os
Do you have any other DAWs installed to try, just for comparison?
Etan
Do you have an option like in Reaper to run certain VSTs as a separate process (bridged)? I was also experiencing SW crashing Reaper but now I simply run all SW plugins in a bridged mode and when they crash they don't crash the whole Reaper project but just the bridged instances of plugins so you just have to reopen them inside the project again and continue working without closing the whole project.
Luigi
Etan wrote:
Do you have an option like in Reaper to run certain VSTs as a separate process (bridged)? I was also experiencing SW crashing Reaper but now I simply run all SW plugins in a bridged mode and when they crash they don't crash the whole Reaper project but just the bridged instances of plugins so you just have to reopen them inside the project again and continue working without closing the whole project.

mm dont know if PT has that. im will check it out thx!
Luigi
just wanted to say that I updated to the latest pro tools 11 version and the problem disappeared applause
creativesounds
I am getting this same issue among others on Windows 10 with Pro Tools 12. My post about setting things up here https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=183406

works about 50% of the time. I occasionally get the same error message as the above poster if I have an instrument plugin on another instrument track and SW loaded on a different instrument track. I also get random "Pro Tools has stopped responding" error messages which force me to completely restart my machine... this is getting to be really frustrating for me. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, you name it (SW, Asio4All, PT), and still the issues persist. Using an ES8 with an Mbox2.

I am using the demo version of SW so I have a feeling that maybe it's the plugin timing out that's causing some of these issues? By the same token I don't really want to drop $60 and have the same issues persist. And maybe it's not SW but it's the ES8 Win driver? I dunno.........

Any help?!?!?

Thanks in advance.
os
I doubt it's the plug-in timing out.

If you have to restart the whole machine, that points to a low level issue, so maybe the driver or asio4all.
creativesounds
os wrote:
I doubt it's the plug-in timing out.

If you have to restart the whole machine, that points to a low level issue, so maybe the driver or asio4all.

Been working in Reaper for the past hour or so and it seems pretty solid using the ES8 and Mbox2 and ASIO4ALL. So I guess this is a Pro Tools issue? What a bummer.

Any ideas os? Would be great to get this working in PT.
os
My money would be on PT not liking asio4all. One for Avid I think.
creativesounds
os wrote:
My money would be on PT not liking asio4all. One for Avid I think.

So did some more testing and I think it comes down to the aax version of Silent Way being the culprit. My reasoning:

1. Pro Tools runs fine with ASIO4ALL and the ES8 drivers and the Mbox2 as long as you set it up outside of a session. Then you can load into your sessions with no issue. I was able to route audio in and out of the Mbox2 and the ES8 with no issues.

2. Reaper (on the same PC) runs fine with ASIO4ALL, the ES8, and the Mbox2 AND runs fine with the Silent Way VST versions of the plugins.

3. Loading the aax version of Silent Way in Pro Tools works for a while... 10-20 minutes... but then crashes and freezes the system. Instantiating other instruments in PT with SW loaded gives mixed results as well. It's just not stable.

So to me it sounds like SW aax is the culprit?
os
Hard to understand how a plug-in could freeze the whole system, but I see where you're coming from. Do you get any kind of crash log?
creativesounds
os wrote:
Hard to understand how a plug-in could freeze the whole system, but I see where you're coming from. Do you get any kind of crash log?

It's usually just the "Pro Tools has stopped responding" error message from Windows that pops up, then I have to force quit it. Wonder if Windows saves a log somewhere for that?
creativesounds
Definitely seems to be the SW AAX plugin that crashes Pr Tools. The ES8 driver has been running fine. Instantiating the plugin works for a bit, then when I try to minimize it, PT crashes. Also, if SW is visible on screen and I try to open another plugin, that plugin's parameters are not visible and then PT will crash. I could send you the crash log os, if you are interested?
os
Sure, if you have a log, send it over.
creativesounds
Still getting this.................. very frustrating

I have narrowed it down to Silent Way Voice Controller. The other plugins like Sync work perfectly. VC seems to not like the calibration. Everytime I try to calibrate and then close the plugin's window, Pro Tools freezes on me. I thought it was due to the input of the track still being active (the oscillator's return) but switching that to 'None' worked for a bit, then I went to triggering the oscillator with my midi controller and got the freeze again.

This is seriously bumming me out, because when it does work (briefly!) it's glorious! I am able to trigger proper pitches on my oscillator and pass the envelopes from within VC as well..... Dead Banana

Not sure it will help, but this is my routing within PT when using the calibration mode on VC:
creativesounds
So after a ton of trial and error I have a work around for this. It is absolutely ridiculous and makes no sense but: As long as I click back on Pro Tools' edit page and hit play THEN close the plugin it doesn't crash. But if I close the plugin after tweaking any parameters in it before clicking on the edit page in Pro Tools it crashes 100% of the time.

Makes 0 sense, but as long as I remember to do that it doesn't crash. woah
os
Could you please try this version?

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/downloads/silentway_2_6_1_aax_win.zip
creativesounds
os wrote:

Oooo... excited. Will try and report back. Thank you.
creativesounds
os wrote:

Well, IT SEEMS TO WORK!!!! Thank you so much os, this is a lifesaver. I'm curious as to what the issue was?

Cheers!
os
Windows or PT continuing to send messages to the UI after it had started to close.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1