MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Tyme Sefari and SK-1 prototypes!?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author New Tyme Sefari and SK-1 prototypes!?
VanEck
Holy fuck... why hasn't this been mentioned yet!

http://twitpic.com/178no2

http://twitpic.com/178nw1
lukas412
I was wondering the same thing!
wwbjd
Quick glance.. but aside from the panel layout for the Tyme Sefari, I don't see anything really different.. except the bars or whatever for loop start/end..?
qu.one
lets just get em in here:

these were the preceding tweets:
Quote:
@califaudio control panel for a bent sk-1, not modular

Quote:
Besides all of these new modules I am also working on the greatest SK-1 I've ever done.
VanEck
wwbjd wrote:
Quick glance.. but aside from the panel layout for the Tyme Sefari, I don't see anything really different.. except the bars or whatever for loop start/end..?

Looks easier to tweak live to me with those slide bars... also it has the feedback out. I love the Sefari, so any upgrade, no matter how big or small, gets me excited 8_)

Also, not sure if the SK-1 is a module or not... looks like some circuit bending break out box as opposed to a SK-1 in a module (I wish!).

Perhaps Scott will shed some light on it. MY ASS IS BLEEDING
HeWhoWantsJeans
wwbjd wrote:

The addition of CV control for feedback.

Edit: or is that 'feedback out'?
VanEck
HeWhoWantsJeans wrote:

The addition of CV control for feedback.

Edit: or is that 'feedback out'?

Pretty sure that is a dedicated "feedback out" port. It was mentioned before that he would be adding that at some point, and I think there are actually a few Sefari's out there with the old panel that already have it.
HeWhoWantsJeans
VanEck wrote:
and I think there are actually a few Sefari's out there with the old panel that already have it.

...wait, no shit? Are you talking user-made mods to their Sefari's that add it?

I demand information. I have a soldering iron and an itchy trigger finger.
MY ASS IS BLEEDING
VanEck
Not user mod's, but actual Harvestman mods. I think a handful of people who sent in their Tyme Sefari's for a firmware upgrade or repair were given the option of having him add the feedback port... or something. Not 100% sure, and I don't think the option was ever offered to the general public just yet because I think he was cooking up a much bigger upgrade to the firmware (higher bit rate, clicking sounds fixed) and panel... and this looks like it!
Kent
It can't be a Feedback output. There isn't a Feedback, or 2nd, input of any kind; unless it is a TRS jack.

The Tyme Sefari is my 'go to' delay. My fave... I'm somewhat relieved to find out that I don't need to buy a 2nd one... whew... This new one looks like a redesign in order to make it more easily manufacturable.
VanEck
I just did some digging on The Harvestman twitter and this was posted last year:

Who wants a fully patchable feedback loop on their Tyme Sefari? 9:12 AM Jul 30th, 2009 via web

OK here's the deal: When I finish up a TS firmware upgrade (improves a few things) I can install the feedback jack for $20+shipping

This upgrade adds an input normalled to the fdbk polarity switch signal. Jack signal goes thru fdbk attenuator.

Use with dly out jack for "patchable feedback loop" behavior, put filters or whatever in there. Put a vca in the loop if you want CV

So it looks like it is a feedback in that you can make a loop with using the delay out?
governor blacksnake
HeWhoWantsJeans wrote:
VanEck wrote:
and I think there are actually a few Sefari's out there with the old panel that already have it.

...wait, no shit? Are you talking user-made mods to their Sefari's that add it?

I demand information. I have a soldering iron and an itchy trigger finger.
MY ASS IS BLEEDING

The jack is for a feedback input that goes directly into the feedback attenuator above it. When nothing is patched in the Sefari's delayed signal is fed back through this pot. Use with the DLY OUT jack for a fully patchable feedback loop.

Looking at the back of the control board, cut the trace going into the rightmost pin of the feedback pot (the one that isnt connected to ground.) Connect this pin to the "tip" terminal of the jack you will be installing. Connect the switch terminal of the jack to the center pin of the toggle switch below this pot. This is what I do when you send the module to me for the upgrade, which also includes a nice new hole in the panel with the jack installed where it's supposed to go.
Hi5
any other info on these outside of the feedback jack?
governor blacksnake
Kent wrote:
It can't be a Feedback output. There isn't a Feedback, or 2nd, input of any kind; unless it is a TRS jack.

The Tyme Sefari is my 'go to' delay. My fave... I'm somewhat relieved to find out that I don't need to buy a 2nd one... whew... This new one looks like a redesign in order to make it more easily manufacturable.

Correct! This TS redesign is happening because I am having a larger quantity of them manufactured by factory. Since the PCB art dates to late 2007 with no silkscreen and some obsolete parts, I had to redesign the module anyways. So, while I was at it I did what I always wanted to do and have sliders for the manual loop point settings. When I designed the Sefari in early 2007 I did not have the ability to have non-round voids in my front panels, or purchase sliders in any quantity that would give a "sensible" price.

My delivery schedule looks like this for the spring:

- Hertz Donut restock (underway)
- Polivoks VCF restock (factory built)
- Stillson Hammer and/or Hammerhoid
- Tyme Sefari restock
- then the other new stuff. Right around the tyme that the filters go into production, things will be moving smoothly enough that I can prepare for multiple factory projects at once. Have been stockpiling large amounts of parts over the last month.
ignatius
i wonder if they'll be an even number of HP?

Mr. Green

they both look more than interesting. some day when i can get ahold of another rack i'll have to consider some harvestman. these modules look great. sliders!
Kent
Guv'nor,

Can you explain your preference for sliders in this application? My experience and instinct tell me that sliders are more 'fiddly' to set correctly than standard pots.

On a side note, I currently have a patch up on the RS290 that uses the Metasonix R51 in the feedback loop. I've got an ADSR fading the R51 in and out at key points and it sounds awesome. I tried the bit reduction in the RS290 and it just doesn't work in this patch at all. Which leads me to asking if it is possible to modify existing Tyme Sefaris to have the feedback input pre-feedback pot. Is it?
governor blacksnake
The Casio SK-1 panel is the metal part that I am using for an instrument I am building for personal use. It will feature a metal frontpanel, PCB-mounted controls, and high-quality wiring. It also has my custom circuits for power starve and voltage-controlled clock, for two different kinds of rot. The panel sits where the internal speaker on the SK-1 used to be.

Oh yeah, for manufactured modules using toggle switches I am planning to use sub-miniature switches with short toggles like what you see on the Flight of Harmony Choices switches.
Glitchmachines
EDIT - you beat me to it - thanks Guinness ftw!

Scott - could you elaborate on the SK-1 panel? I would eat my own shit if you made that available to the public hihi
governor blacksnake
The SK-1 will have a paintjob similar to my past work:

governor blacksnake
The SK-1 is a one-off for personal use, but since the switch panel and control PCB are manufactured parts that can be re-ordered, I suppose I could offer them to interested parties, or build other instruments from them (not cheap, lots of hand wiring.)
sgnelson
I assume the new version of Tyme Sefari will still have the Sound of Thunder add on available?

Also, any news on how we can get custom PROM's burned for the Piston Honda daughtercard?

(love the new Tyme Sefari design btw. Can't wait for it to come out.)
Glitchmachines
governor blacksnake wrote:
The SK-1 is a one-off for personal use, but since the switch panel and control PCB are manufactured parts that can be re-ordered, I suppose I could offer them to interested parties, or build other instruments from them (not cheap, lots of hand wiring.)

Nice work Scott! I would be really interested in one of these SK-1 panels. What are you thinking, cost-wise?

Here are a few of my builds:
sgnelson
Wow, both Scott and glitchmachines have made some impressive SK-1's. I'm envious.
TrashWaveform
I made some circuit bent SK-1s in my day. Just this past weekend I got started on my massive SK-5 project. I got all excited when I saw this display panel. Hey Glitchmachines, what type of joystick is that? I used Happs in the past but the actuators are massive. The one in your picture seems like a low profile arcade knob like Happs.

Here is one of my better ones. Not a fan of the flimsy keys.

Glitchmachines
TrashWaveform wrote:
I made some circuit bent SK-1s in my day. Just this past weekend I got started on my massive SK-5 project. I got all excited when I saw this display panel. Hey Glitchmachines, what type of joystick is that? I used Happs in the past but the actuators are massive. The one in your picture seems like a low profile arcade knob like Happs.

Nice job, Trash! The joysticks I used are far from low profile, sadly. They would be impossible to fit into an actual SK-1 btw. The image I posted is of a MT-500, which is among the larger of the portable Casio keys. Even there, it was an absolute BITCH to squeeze the joysticks in!

Here's the sticks I used:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/JS-5/JOYSTICK/-/1.html
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3