MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

plague bearer DIY ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next [all]
Author plague bearer DIY ?
rosch
does anyone have a schematic they could pm me ? i'd like to stripboard it for my own use, not going to sell stuff or make anything available with no permission.
I'd buy it but only to take it apart and see what's going on, not interested in prefab modules, 100% DIY
so if anyone can help me with their knowledge i'd be very happy. Can't be much stuff on the boards, from the pics.

thanks!
snaper
Im interested too
woodster
YES!

I missed out of the Barebone Kits Flight used to offer.
I'd love to see some sort of a Plague Bearer DIY solution...
sduck
I'd contact Flight first - see if he can help you out in any way.
woodster
Yeah, I've asked Flight about more Plague Bearers and he said he wasn't looking to do any more in the foreseeable future, that was a year or so ago though.
I'd be all over an official release, or failing that, following rosch's lead and attempting to homebrew a one off...
I've played on a few of the different versions and they were all brutally gorgeous.
Silver
I realize this is an old thread, but does anyone have a sense if there is/will be a DIY plague bearer, or if there are any of the old bare bones kits around?
bloke_zero
Silver wrote:
I realize this is an old thread, but does anyone have a sense if there is/will be a DIY plague bearer, or if there are any of the old bare bones kits around?

I'm in the same boat, I just saw the announcement of the quad desk top version and would love to build a modular version. Wish I'd jumped on this years ago! Dead Banana
oberkorn
I traced my board a while ago with the intention of making a clone for personal use, this resulted in a paper drawing. I haven't built or verified it though.
Can't remember the build version but I have two different ones and they are not terribly different, I'm at work right now but will check when I get home.

*BUT* I think the right way of going about this is to get some kind of approval/thumbs-up from Flight himself, even if the bearer is out of production.
If he is difficult to get hold of, I think Foxtone music might be able to help, I met them @ Superbooth 16 in Berlin and they are the official representative/distributor of his products and nice guys as well smile
jsu
I asked flight about diy plaguebearer kits a couple weeks ago and he has decided to offer a 10 unit run of Quad Plague Bearer v3.3 assembled units w/ a black face plate. Details on foh section of muffs.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=170110
Silver
so is that a no to coming out with a DIY plague bearer?
EATyourGUITAR
DIY is V3.3 but the production model is in V4? any more info about what was changed in V4?
nangu
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
DIY is V3.3 but the production model is in V4? any more info about what was changed in V4?

Quoted from the other thread:
HeWhoWantsJeans wrote:
The r3.3 is the same in sound and functionality as the 4.0 Plague Bearer module, it just doesn't have an attenuator switch.

I just found one of the old barebones kits. It's r4.0 (includes the slide switch, jacks, pots, knobs) still in the unopened package. I probably bought it from Meme Antenna ages ago. The sticker on it says $59 - does anybody want it for $59 plus shipping?
EATyourGUITAR
PM'd
jsu
PM'ed
nangu
There are 3 people in line for my kit - the first PM came in 19 minutes after I mentioned it here.

I was asked to open the kit and check something in the manual. While I was at it, I found the official word on changes in Rev 4..

Quote:
Most changes in the r4 were for ease of assembly purposes, but two new features were added:

Input Attenuator: Earlier versions often required use of an external VCA to reduce input signal levels and prevent overdriving the input. This is now handled by the input attenuator.

Output Limiting: The output levels of earlier versions could spike well beyond +/- 5V p-p, so an output limiter was added. The limiter has a soft to medium curve and can be disabled by moving the two jumpers as shown on the PCB.
EATyourGUITAR
Without increasing parts count, the output clamp is probably a pair of passive zener diodes placed imediately before or after the ouput opamp. This is actually easy to replicate with no additional information.
trip
Adding another voice to the interest in a plague bearer pcb.
mrtweed
id love more plague bearers...
slow_riot
I realise that at this stage people are just talking about it, but sharing a PCB/schematic without involvement from Flight, regardless of whether the design is in production or not would be in violation of copyright law, and morally contemptible.

We've seen how quickly the floodgates open such as with OOP Buchla, Ian Fritz designs, etc. Tread carefully, it takes years of (likely unpaid) labour to create a unique & stable design, and this is Flight's choice alone to decide what to do with.

(sorry about the rant)
EATyourGUITAR
slow_riot wrote:
I realise that at this stage people are just talking about it, but sharing a PCB/schematic without involvement from Flight, regardless of whether the design is in production or not would be in violation of copyright law, and morally contemptible.

We've seen how quickly the floodgates open such as with OOP Buchla, Ian Fritz designs, etc. Tread carefully, it takes years of (likely unpaid) labour to create a unique & stable design, and this is Flight's choice alone to decide what to do with.

(sorry about the rant)

without making a big long thread I just wan't to point out that you are flat out wrong when it comes to someone making a new schematic or PCB. the copyright can only belong to the person that created the PCB or created the schematic. all due respect to Flight, he can only own what he creates, not what other people create.

w00t
slow_riot
EATyourGUITAR wrote:

without making a big long thread I just wan't to point out that you are flat out wrong when it comes to someone making a new schematic or PCB. the copyright can only belong to the person that created the PCB or created the schematic. all due respect to Flight, he can only own what he creates, not what other people create.

w00t

Copyright law protects the original circuit and PCB as Flight's sole property, and gives him exclusive rights. A clone of the circuit or PCB is a derivative work, not an original design, and the person who made it has no rights to sell or distribute the work as it infringes on Flight's copyright.
ersatzplanet
I know this is all about DIY but I have a V1 Plague Bearer Eurorack module I seldom use that I would sell/trade - PM me an offer if interested. I'm in Seattle.
Amer1231
down for choices pcb if possible
jsu
I asked Flight about offering a PCB for DIY, using the Benjolin as an example where it is sold retail, and diy'ers have been able to occasionally receive approval to order max 2 bare pcb's per person at low cast and build them under a non-commerical agreement. Here is his response:

Quote:
Let's keep this discussion open, I like it. I assume most would prefer a through-hole PCB rather than the SMT PCBs that I use, and there are probably other ideas or preferences, all of which I'd love to hear.

By the way, they're wrong about the zener clamp. I didn't want a hard clamp, that just makes it sound like any other overdriven-to-square-wave distortion. No character there. ; )

Please share thoughts / suggestions / interest. thumbs up
FetidEye
it could be possible to make a parallel pcb (pcb mount vertical pots and jacks), all through hole. (i think it might all fit on 1 pcb)

-maybe adding a feedback switch or pot?
I added extra ins and outs for feedback stuff. that is handy too.

-dual PB with feedback options smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next [all]
Page 1 of 12