MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Vintage Power Supplies
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Vintage Power Supplies
Peake
"Drip even included the option to use a GZ34 tube rectifier. The use of vacuum tube regulators and rectifier gives the unit it's beautiful 'sag' when pushed hard, ideal for cutting edge vocals and shredding guitar."
-dripelectronics.com, the four seven version 2.

On their Fairchild true clone:

"Since the foundation of the Fairchild design is the power supply,
great care has been taken to preserve its integrity. A tube regulated 240v and a high voltage 440v supply line give the 660 a deep punch to your audio signal. Sprague atoms have been added for additional performance and filtering. This PCB provides the options to build a dream machine - all resistor footprints can accommodate up to five-watt metal film resistors. The capacitor footprints can also accommodate high end audiophile components such as Mundorf or Jensen."

seriously, i just don't get it
Luka
from what ive read a prime example is the 303
Peake
Luka wrote:
from what ive read a prime example is the 303

You're silly razz
Peake
I suppose that I shouldn't hang out at sites which truly don't care about the greatest examples of recording gear ever produced, and what makes them sound the way that they do.

Nah applause
plord
FWIW, I sent my Two Rock Kimock signature amplifier back to the factory where is was "downgraded" from a lightning quick solid state rectifier to twin GZ34s.

It's 10x the amp it was before, and it was a pretty sick amp before. and I'm not even into the shreddy stuff. It just sounds better, and more to the point, it *behaves* better to thoughtful application of different techniques upstream from the amp (from aggressive right hand technique to crazy pedal chains).

So there's that.
Kent
The dbx 160's power supply also contributes mightily to its sound. You can even see the bulb in the VU meter dimming when the compressor works hard.

Power Supplies Are Important.

That Garnet Tube Amp book goes into some detail on power supplies.
meridic
Power supply sag is something that happens when you ask for more current then a power supply can handle, so the voltage drops changing how the circuit operates. In solid state this is generally bad and can fry your regulators. In tubes sag happens when there is no regulator, the vacuum tube rectifiers have a dynamic response to current draw, if current changes so does voltage, so does the operating point of the circuit.

The drip electronics preamp is hype, the preamps do not draw enough current to cause sag in a GZ34, not to mention the supply is regulated with OA2s. Also if I remember correctly the Redd 47 preamp is a single ended circuit so it has a constant current draw, so no sag. But if everything stays the same and you replace the solid state rectifier with a tube one the voltages will change, but that is moot once again because of the OA2s.

The fairchild is an over built power supply, stable and reliable, pretty much a tube version of a solid state regulated supply. Good clean power for good clean sound.
Peake
Interesting thoughts. By that, I mean: "Show me" smile

IIRC, the Moog 910 PS uses germanium regulators...and its dirt and other characteristics add to the Modular. Most definitely when you add a pair of 960s eek!
meridic
Quote:
Interesting thoughts. By that, I mean: "Show me"

Download the data sheet for the GZ34, stare at the capacitor input filter curves. Draw some lines on it, so how voltage changes with current. After you stare at it if you are still lost feel free to ask more direct questions, I do not have time to teach loadlines right now.

Quote:
IIRC, the Moog 910 PS uses germanium regulators...and its dirt and other characteristics add to the Modular.

Dirt is about right when talking about germanium parts. They were noisey and inconsistent from part to part. The noise is an AC signal riding along the DC, so instead of a nice steady DC signal it fluctuated slightly. This AC can be decreased further with more filter caps, but electrolytics where expensive back then and not much better then germanium transistors, so to save money and to make money they only filtered the supply as well as they had to to make the sales. This AC fluctuation is present in all parts of the synth since it is in the power, everything fluctuates including the audio. It is omnipresent in the single ended circuits that the moogs were mostly made of.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1