MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

200e Performance Patching
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author 200e Performance Patching
ex_dead_teenager
looking at pictures of some people's Buchlas all set up for live performance has had me wondering if there are any tricks to patching up the instrument live so you don't have to take everything out and plug everything back in between pieces.

I know the 210 is supposed to help with this but I've had little success using it like this.

I'm really curious how others patch their Buchlas when going to perform as I've never seen a 200e or any other modular played live except my own euro rig.
dougcl
There was a thread about this on the yahoo forum:
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/200e/message/1374

in which a couple of pros chimed in. Interesting reading. I have tried many things, and have yet to perform live, of course, but I like the idea of routing one voice only due to the limited outputs on both the cv and audio sides. The idea is that a single voice can be used to jump start an improvised set. As far as that goes, I have the latest version of a single voice patch posted here (scroll down):

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12923
blindoldfreak
Hello,

yes, the 210e is pretty handy in live situations, in my opinion.
I have been able to play fairly long and varied sets without plugging in or unplugging a single cord, thanks to the router.

Here is a recall sheet from one of my first 200e concerts, at Berklee College of Music, and the system as it was that evening.

it basically shows you how i set up the 210e in order for it to become the center of the system, allowing me to switch presets and have very different patches retaining the same patchcord arrangement.

Most of the variations are done by manually tweaking knobs and/or by using a 222e.

I hope this helps,

A.

ex_dead_teenager
thanks guys!

Alessandro, the next time you tour Canada you have to come to Vancouver especially if you bring your 200e!

Doug I'll check out those links right now.
dougcl
And Portland, dammit.
ex_dead_teenager
damn that 200e group I still can't get into it. I own a buchla, I've been trying for two years to get into that yahoo group ugh!
dougcl
Well if it's any consolation, blindoldfreak just posted about half of it here. Richard Lainhart has a post there too though.
ex_dead_teenager
it seems on further investigation that I am actually and finally a member of this group but for some reason your yahoo groups link won't work for me Doug, and I have never received an e-mail from the list... confusing...
dougcl
Make sure you are signed in to yahoo. Go to the group and search for 210.
ex_dead_teenager
I found something really useful from Gary Chang but I don't see your link anywhere, it's no matter I think studying what you and blindoldfreak have posted here is a good enough start. So far I've got the audio matrix mixing/routing thing down great but haven't gotten into the bottom half of the module almost at all and my patches if I were to perform with them would all need to be taken apart and re-assembled and while that's ok I guess, knowing I could be creating more patches without having to take everything apart each time is really appealing.
blindoldfreak
I'd treat the bottom/voltage part the same way you treat the top/audio section...Say for example in one patch you have a CV from the 250e controlling the Mod level of a 259e, and in the next one the same Mod level is controlled by a 281e in LFO mode.
In my current setup the CV section of the 210e is very useful as i can have one patchcord going to the CV in of the waveform generators, but can decide depending on the patch if i want the 250e or the 222e to control them( or both, if needed).

I hope it makes sense...

A.

PS. I'd love to play shows in Vancouver and Portland...hopefully in the near future!
ex_dead_teenager wrote:
I found something really useful from Gary Chang but I don't see your link anywhere, it's no matter I think studying what you and blindoldfreak have posted here is a good enough start. So far I've got the audio matrix mixing/routing thing down great but haven't gotten into the bottom half of the module almost at all and my patches if I were to perform with them would all need to be taken apart and re-assembled and while that's ok I guess, knowing I could be creating more patches without having to take everything apart each time is really appealing.
ex_dead_teenager
WEST COAST TOUR!!! WEST COAST TOUR!!!

nanners
ex_dead_teenager
I think your explanation is clearer than your patch notes razz I've got something running on my 200e right now I'm going to try and re-structure it to take better advantage of the 210e right now. thanks again!

blindoldfreak wrote:
I'd treat the bottom/voltage part the same way you treat the top/audio section...Say for example in one patch you have a CV from the 250e controlling the Mod level of a 259e, and in the next one the same Mod level is controlled by a 281e in LFO mode.
In my current setup the CV section of the 210e is very useful as i can have one patchcord going to the CV in of the waveform generators, but can decide depending on the patch if i want the 250e or the 222e to control them( or both, if needed).

I hope it makes sense...

A.
xpander
blindoldfreak wrote:

i'd like to think if this wasn't a b&w scan, we'd see the lines drawn in the color of the patchcords.

i actually snap digital pix of stuff i need to keep in case i have to unpatch everything. it saves time in the beginning but is a hefty pain in the ass when i have to repatch it. i don't have a 210 so i'll be extra screwed when i try to do a live set around the 200e.
ex_dead_teenager
I'm going to need more patch cords!
Isabelle Gall
xpander wrote:
i actually snap digital pix of stuff i need to keep in case i have to unpatch everything.

That is a genius idea. Why have I never thought of this?

Thanks!
infinite7
Isabelle Gall wrote:
xpander wrote:
i actually snap digital pix of stuff i need to keep in case i have to unpatch everything.

Thanks!

I'm always concerned when snapping a photo of not being able to clearly see some routings of cable. I just made a mock up of my system from the snap shots on the buchla website and manually draw the connections. Takes more time, but there's never any confusion imho.
cbm
Yasi has a technique, where he notates a patch using one sheet per cable color, starting with the longest. If you peel as you go, it gets easier to see the inner layers without all the long spaghetti in the way.

When it's time to reassemble a patch start with the page w/ the short cables first, and work out.
ex_dead_teenager
I use a form of shorthand I figured out when I was first learning modular synths it's been pretty reliable so far but it can be a chore to record everything thank God for the patch memory on the 200e if I had to do all the knobs and cables it would take for ever!
dougcl
infinite7 wrote:
I just made a mock up of my system from the snap shots on the buchla website

I have written a program for this. It's called Rack Planner, and there is a subforum here for it. Give it a try.
dougcl
ex_dead_teenager wrote:
I'm going to need more patch cords!

Exactly. That's the first thing that happens.
ex_dead_teenager
Arrrrgh.
xpander
infinite7 wrote:
Isabelle Gall wrote:
xpander wrote:

Thanks!

I'm always concerned when snapping a photo of not being able to clearly see some routings of cable. I just made a mock up of my system from the snap shots on the buchla website and manually draw the connections. Takes more time, but there's never any confusion imho.

it's *never* a problem- i just snap a bunch of photos quickly from different angles- it only takes a few seconds and i can always figure out what goes where based on the different angles. it does take time, though, when it's time to repatch. still, it's good if you want to keep something but really don't want to take the time to write it out. i always have my digital camera in my studio (see my flickr...) so it's a convenience thing.
don h
I haven't got past pencil and paper notes for my 200e, the Synthi forum however has a great dopesheet printer for the Synthi!
http://www.thesynthi.de/index.php?/categories/1-Dopesheets
ex_dead_teenager
those are good dope sheets
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1