MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MFOS Adjustable 1.5A Bipolar Power Supply Transformer Help
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author MFOS Adjustable 1.5A Bipolar Power Supply Transformer Help
valis
Greetings,

I need a +/-9v PSU and it seems like the best option is the MFOS "Adjustable 1.5A Bipolar Power Supply PCB." I have a Condor PSU that I configured but I've never picked out a transformer and am pretty ignorant on the subject. I'm going to be placing a Mouser order and would absolutely love a lead on a transformer. I'm looking for "a transformer with a center tapped 24VAC to 26VAC." I would really hate to order the wrong transformer and go through the whole troubleshooting process.

Also, how will I know what size fuse to get?

Thanks for reading!
Luka
i would think that using a transformer that large will generate a lot of heat considering your desired output voltages.

i wouldnt bother using a lm317 based power supply, just something like this http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs14_psu.html and then use 7809 / 7819 regulators in place of the 7815 / 7915. Then use a transformer that outputs about 9 - 12V ac

this is just a practice ive picked up over time so perhaps someone could suggest something more robust or more suitable
valis
Luka wrote:
i would think that using a transformer that large will generate a lot of heat considering your desired output voltages.

i wouldnt bother using a lm317 based power supply, just something like this http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs14_psu.html and then use 7809 / 7819 regulators in place of the 7815 / 7915. Then use a transformer that outputs about 9 - 12V ac

this is just a practice ive picked up over time so perhaps someone could suggest something more robust or more suitable

Yeah, the CGS014 has been discontinued and I don't really want to perf board the whole thing. There doesn't seem to be a lot of options for somebody needing a durable +/-9v that they can gig with..

Ray does recommend using large heat sinks but I'm open to any psu suggestions..
RF
FWIW - I think Perfboarding a low current bi-polar power supply with 78xx and 79xx regulators is about the easiest perf project one could imagine...

bruce
bananeurysm
what about a couple 9v batteries?
valis
bananeurysm wrote:
what about a couple 9v batteries?

Sadly no, I have quite a few modules that run at +/-9v. I'd need at least 400-500ma.

dl
Luka
are you powering these in the same cabinet as 12 or 15v modules?

if so you could just get some 9v regulators and make a little distro board with reduced voltage. regulators are easy to set up. they just need an input voltage, ground and then the output voltage comes out the other leg

for +9v use a 7809, -9 uses a 7909

if you a using a 15v supply you will need heat sinks, if 12v it should be ok
valis
Yeah, it's complicated. I am powering this on the same cabinet as a +/-15v supply but my amps are pretty limited there. I breadboarded a 7809/7909 circuit but after much debate, I'd prefer a dedicated +/-9v supply. I'm building this supply into a box with that will serve as a...

... Well, it's complicated but be assured that I have weighed all the practical options. I'm going to do a dedicated +/-9v supply one way or another..
Luka
ok well just go with your original idea but lower the transformer output voltage to 12v or 15v

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=9670192
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1