MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Tenori-On: dead or just in coma?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tenori-On  
Author Tenori-On: dead or just in coma?
Tajnost
Yesterday I took my original Tenori-On out of the case and it appeared broken:
the green screen light up but there's no info on it and no button work, no reaction when pressing pads... It's the same with the batteries and ext. power supply.

I'm wondering if anyone experienced the same problem and how is it possible to fix it?

Hope there's a solution...
Tajnost
After 2 months of debates with local service center I can say that they're totally useless. They can only fix it for the price of a new one (around 600$ ).

Is there any reliable Tenori-on / Yamaha service center around? Maybe it's good idea to send it to Japan? If someone had good experience please share the contacts...
Tajnost
Looking for YAMAHA TNR-W (or TNR-O as soon as they should be the same... ) main PCB board to replace mine (looks like the only way to fix my machine... ).
k8bushlover
Sorry to hear this, it's an expensive piece of gear to have malfunction. I see a few on e-bay, but all seem in working order, so priced accordingly. Not a lot of machines available for parts, it seems.
Paranormal Patroler
Ah, that's a big bummer. I haven't used my pair for a while but I'm not ready to part ways with 'em yet or ever. I need to rebuy a MIDI-to-CV module at some point ...
ersatzplanet
Have you looked into trying to upgrade the firmware? It is done while booting up and is read off the SDcard. I understand that you might not be able to even reach a spot where you can update the firmware but it is worth a try. Try turning the T-O on while holding the OK and Cancel buttons at the same time. If you don't get a menu to choose the firmware than it wouldn't work anyway. If you at least get to that screen it is worth downloading the firmware (Now 2.1) and giving it a go.
Paranormal Patroler
How did this go ?
Tajnost
Unfortunately they couldn't fix it, so now it (I still hope ) sleep on my shelves... I guess the only way is to find a spare PCB... Ninja
ersatzplanet
Mine has a broken power switch. The slide switch stem broke off. I can switch it on and off with a small screwdriver but it is easier to just leave it on and not run it from batteries. I took mine apart to see if the switch could be easily changed but the electronics are pretty packed in there. The switch is not easily reached and I just don't feel like hacking around and maybe damaging the unit. If mine was broken like yours, and in a place where it doesn't currently work, I would be cracking that open and looking for obvious culprits like broken board to board cables etc. The only other things that could have been broken would be bad solder points or things like that unless you gave it a big static shock somehow.

I imagine you have done all the obvious things like running off batteries or the wall wart (to see if the normalization in the power connector is broken), changing the firmware (if you can reach the menu option), seeing if it responds to external MIDI clocks or outputs and MIDI signals at all, did a factory reset (if you can get to the System menu) and tried to run it with and without somebody else's SDcard in it (a scrambled card may prevent booting).

good luck.

**Edited to correct tons of typos!***
Paranormal Patroler
ersatzplanet FTW Mr. Green
Tajnost
Yes... tried everything I can, and they also tried to replace the "processor" in service center with no success (still empty green screen of death), so the new PCB is the only solution, and directly from Yamaha it's about 800$ at least it was like that 1,5 years ago... I discovered that PCBs from TNR-O will not fit into my TNR-W, there's some kind of difference between them.

Sad... I still have super nice case and all the midi accessories 4 it... really want it back 2 life!!!
Tajnost
If someone in this world can fix it - let me know! Of course I can still get another one, but it's different story...
ersatzplanet
Tajnost wrote:
Yes... tried everything I can, and they also tried to replace the "processor" in service center with no success (still empty green screen of death), so the new PCB is the only solution, and directly from Yamaha it's about 800$ at least it was like that 1,5 years ago... I discovered that PCBs from TNR-O will not fit into my TNR-W, there's some kind of difference between them.

Sad... I still have super nice case and all the midi accessories 4 it... really want it back 2 life!!!

The TNR-O doesn't have LEDs on the back side and they are orange LEDs at that so that would be half as many LEDs and a cheaper color than the White ones on the TNR-W. The orange plastic units were almost half the cost of the white titanium ones too. Might be cheaper to get a orange one.

A real gamble would be to get the orange one and exchange daughterboards with your white one. Maybe the broken bit is not even on the main PCB but on the boars with the LCD. That would be a hella gamble though and the danger of killing both of them too.
ignacio
Sorry to hear about this. This is great piece of gear. Hopefully, you'll get it solved somehow.
Paranormal Patroler
I haven't used my twin TO's in so long. Reading this post again makes me worried that they'll have issues if I fire them up in the future. zombie
k8bushlover
May have seen this -- has more to do with replacing a power switch (@ersatzplanet), but he also had to do something with LCD screen connection to get there https://youtu.be/YzVTFRc_Lo8 Of course, it doesn't help get a part, but it's the most detailed view of the insides I've seen. Yamaha did send me a service manual at my request -- I'd have to ask permission to upload here, per Terms of Use, but could e-mail perhaps. The Orange service manual seems available on the web elsewhere.
ersatzplanet
k8bushlover wrote:
May have seen this -- has more to do with replacing a power switch (@ersatzplanet), but he also had to do something with LCD screen connection to get there https://youtu.be/YzVTFRc_Lo8 Of course, it doesn't help get a part, but it's the most detailed view of the insides I've seen. Yamaha did send me a service manual at my request -- I'd have to ask permission to upload here, per Terms of Use, but could e-mail perhaps. The Orange service manual seems available on the web elsewhere.

That is the exact problem mine has - the actuator is broken off the switch. I also ran into the same problem he did, the LCD in the way. I guess someday I will get frustrated enough to do the unsoldering he did. I dis-assembled mine all the way to that place and stopped.

If you do get permission to upload or send the service manual, I would love a copy.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tenori-On  
Page 1 of 1