MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Pianoteq
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Pianoteq
strettara
I'm no expert on piano emulation/modelling/sampled instruments, but I just want to say how happy I am with Pianoteq. Incredible value for money. I got the stage version which is 99 euro and the Hohner pack for another 49. Combined with a Studiologic Acuna keyboard and a sustain pedal (I had to modify the one I got from NC to NO to work with the Acuna, a ten minute job) it makes a really complete, playable instrument.

The Hohner pack in particular is a delight. I remember Eno saying in some interview that he didn't want hundreds of sounds, he just wanted five or six good musical sounds - well that's the feeling I get from this setup. I'm using it with the monome Party Van application and it's a gas.
myecholalia
Wholeheartedly agree! Been using Pianoteq Stage for about 2 years now, and I don't use anything else anymore for piano sounds (except for a Nord Electro III when I'm playing in a band context).

@strettara: The "Piano Phase Live Looping" track that you've heard from me is in fact the Pianoteq into TPV ;-)
strettara
Have you tried the Hohner instrument pack? It's sort of amazing to me that for such a small outlay I can have such excellent, expressive emulations of these instruments.

This was pretty much my plan over the last few months to build a setup like this - electric piano and TPV. I looked at old Roland keyboards from the 80's; in the end this may not have the vintage appeal but it's a delight to play. The Acuna keyboard is really fantastic as well.

Well, I'm in love lol

It would be very cool if they did a prepared piano option where you could add the preparation you want per string - like a rubber block on middle C, a bolt on D, then paperclips on G#... probably impossible, but one can dream...

edit: ha! just saw the IRCAM prepared piano suite... wow.
Loopy C
If you buy the 'Pro' version of Pianoteq, there is the 'per note' editing which when used with the 'random' features (the 'per parameter' within the 'Note Edit' window), gives you a 'virtual' prepared instrument for ALL the sounds/expansions ;-)

"PIANOTEQ PRO lets you edit 28 parameters for each note on your keyboard. In PIANOTEQ Standard, you can explore this feature with the volume and the detune parameter."

(Electronic) prepared Rhodes, steel pan, Clavinet, etc!!! (that's why I bought it ;-))

btw, I do own the GRM Prepared...it is very good (other than occasionally 'UVI Engine' issues).
felixer
Loopy C wrote:

(Electronic) prepared Rhodes, steel pan, Clavinet, etc!!! (that's why I bought it ;-))

sounds interesting! so the model they use is the same and you can go from piano to steel pan and get everything in between? or do they use a new model for each instrument and the variations are within those limits?

recently got the ni giant and it's good, but obviously it's sample based and i would need the full version of kontakt to do anything like that.

that ircam prog looks great. one question: can you go from normal piano to prepared with say, the mod wheel or a footpedal? i'm looking for ways to slip in and out of the 'other' sounds. right now i'm using two keyboards but i'd like to get that a bit more elegant.
Loopy C
felixer wrote:

sounds interesting! so the model they use is the same and you can go from piano to steel pan and get everything in between? or do they use a new model for each instrument and the variations are within those limits?

recently got the ni giant and it's good, but obviously it's sample based and i would need the full version of kontakt to do anything like that.

that ircam prog looks great. one question: can you go from normal piano to prepared with say, the mod wheel or a footpedal? i'm looking for ways to slip in and out of the 'other' sounds. right now i'm using two keyboards but i'd like to get that a bit more elegant.

In both cases, you use single 'model' with variations, so no combinations of different models within one instrument.

-Pianoteq - No combining or morphing between models/expansions....only the presently selected sound is 'per note' edited. There is A LOT of variation within a sound type though, radical parameter settings can make even a regular a 'piano' generate 'steel pan' and other quite dissimilar characteristics so don't sell it short until you try it ;-)

-Ircam -Also no, you set up (or 'randomize' per note or whole insrument) the prepared part from a catalog of techniques-per-string and that is your instrument.

Now in either case there is no reason you couldn't set up two instances of either and use an Expression pedal to cross-mix between different versions though that would technically not be 'morphing' though the end results would be quite close to a casual listener.

The other thing, the 'Global Randomize' on the Pianoteq is fast, fast enough I have performed with it being triggered via MIDI to create a constantly shifting instrument with nearly glitch-free performance (some consideration to playing technique solves most of that) ;-)

felixer
Loopy C wrote:
The other thing, the 'Global Randomize' on the Pianoteq is fast, fast enough I have performed with it being triggered via MIDI to create a constantly shifting instrument

thanks for your response! wow, that sounds like fun hyper my main problem with prepared anything is that every note is married with its character. i miss being able to move things around, musically. but this would be like having a team reconfigure the preparations while you're playing cool
dsu
I love PianoTeq, use it almost everyday for practicing. Spent years looking at various piano soft synths. In the stores I would do a little test.

Play a C major chord very gently with my left. When the sound had died away, I would strike a C major chord an octave above with my right hand while the left hand keys were still depressed.

Sample pianos didn't do anything. PianoTeq produced a sympathetic resonance just like a real piano. That sold me. I think it is one of the best piece of software ever written.
Loopy C
felixer wrote:
Loopy C wrote:
The other thing, the 'Global Randomize' on the Pianoteq is fast, fast enough I have performed with it being triggered via MIDI to create a constantly shifting instrument

thanks for your response! wow, that sounds like fun hyper my main problem with prepared anything is that every note is married with its character. i miss being able to move things around, musically. but this would be like having a team reconfigure the preparations while you're playing cool

There is a continuous 'random' slider for each parameter...if you were brave you could probably move that around in performance!
strettara
Both sound very interesting - unfortunately, both outside my budget at the moment.
felixer
been testing the demo and it does sound very good thumbs up
things i miss:
-a ring mod in the effect section! c'mon, am i the only stockhausen fan left?
-quarter tones: prob possible to make a 'scale map'? but would have been nice as a standard preset, seeing that there is a good selecting of scales on board.

admittedly the ni giant has even less in both departments hmmm.....
chvad
another pianoteq user and fan here. great sounds. fast loading, small. it's my go to for anything piano and all the extra bell stuff it can conjure is also a lot of fun. i was rel excited about this when I came across it as Im not a fan of giant sample libraries in general.
dude
i want to check this out.

but then i realize the only midi controller i have is a dx7.

what year am i in?

i hate the idea of buying a new midi controller.
strettara
lol

My initial plan was to use pianoteq with a qunexus. Well that didn't last long.

I'm very happy indeed with the Acuna.
dude
that price tag is pretty rich considering being a controller.

i guess dx7 it is! actually i am fine with that. i love my dx7 so much. i can always mess with halved midi velocity in ableton.
dude
do the pianoteq folks do bundles? i would love a bunch of their stuff.
felixer
dude wrote:
dx7 .... i can always mess with halved midi velocity in ableton.

no need for that as pianoteq has a 'velocity calibration' routine where it will edit the curve to fit your playing/controller thumbs up it really is a well thought out piece of software Mr. Green
dude wrote:
do the pianoteq folks do bundles? i would love a bunch of their stuff.

https://www.pianoteq.com/buy
strettara
dude wrote:
that price tag is pretty rich considering being a controller.

i guess dx7 it is! actually i am fine with that. i love my dx7 so much. i can always mess with halved midi velocity in ableton.

I got mine as a shop demo for half price (it has one small dent on the top panel). Otherwise it would have been out of my budget. Great keybed though. It's been too long for me to really remember what a grand feels like, and my playing is so rudimentary now (thirty years or so since I last tickled the ivories) that I wouldn't benefit anyway, this just feels good.

Just noticed - 3003 posts... apologies to all of you lol lol lol
dude
so do you all have the upgraded version? i was kind of leaning on the cheapest piano 5 version plus the celeste and hohner packs. i don't do tweaking and post fx are completely fine. anybody tried both ways? best way to go?
felixer
dude wrote:
cheapest piano 5 version plus the celeste and hohner packs

it's gonna be a preset machine, but all versions have the same sound quality. lot's of free packs available with many new 'presets' ... you can always upgrade later with zero loss Mr. Green
the demo is the standard version, so you can test whether you really need those extra controls ...
Loopy C
Did you all see the new 'Concert Harp' add-on? Very nice addition ;-)

https://www.pianoteq.com/harp

Buckage
Loopy C wrote:
Did you all see the new 'Concert Harp' add-on? Very nice addition ;-)

https://www.pianoteq.com/harp

Got it last week. It's as well done as the pianos. Sampled harps are really irritating after a while. I think this will help alleviate that. Their celesta is great too. Highly recommend Pianoteq! Don't have the Pro version but am intrigued after reading earlier posts.
rowsbywoof
Just a quick bump: Pianoteq Standard is 30% off for the next few weeks at Modartt's site, as are upgrades from Stage and a bunch of instruments.

I was looking to buy Pro, eventually, but might as well get Standard now and then do the Pro upgrade when that is offered at a discount (probably around Black Friday again this year). I've been using the demo for FAR too long, and it's great software.
Gribs
rowsbywoof wrote:
Just a quick bump: Pianoteq Standard is 30% off for the next few weeks at Modartt's site, as are upgrades from Stage and a bunch of instruments.

I was looking to buy Pro, eventually, but might as well get Standard now and then do the Pro upgrade when that is offered at a discount (probably around Black Friday again this year). I've been using the demo for FAR too long, and it's great software.

Oh snap, I am glad I saw this just in time. I was going to grab the electric pianos expansion pack on sale and totally forgot. I got Pianoteq Stage because it comes bundled with the Arturia Keylab 88. I was more than pleasantly surprised by it.
dude
i did finally snag teq and love it. at some point will need a better controller as dx7 midi controller kinda weird with 99 top velocity out.

[squish]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2