MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Doepfer - banana conversion
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Doepfer - banana conversion
the bad producer
Just done a 'how-to-banana-jack-a-doepfer-module-picture-story' if anyone is interested, it is really easy, a module like this takes about ten minutes all in...

Charlie

Noah Vail
Wow! Great pix, too. You're inspirational.

Thanks!
Thee Loving Hand
you rule!
thanks for the step by step!
i
the bad producer
Thanks guys - I actually missed one pic out ( d'oh! ) once you've pulled one side of the shit socket out, you bend it right back until you can get the iron under and against the two other legs of the shit socket, then it just pops out!

We need one of these:

Dead Banana but with a cliffjack...
BananaPlug
Getting the jacks out without lifting traces is the hardest part.
the bad producer
BananaPlug wrote:
Getting the jacks out without lifting traces is the hardest part.

Yeah, they seem a bit thin, you can see I did that on that module, but there is always somewhere else to attach the cable, I've converted a few Plan B and never had that problem, it does seem to occur only with the single sided boards Doepfer use.
darenager
Nice job!

If you are not going to need the cliff jacks you could try using some small sharp sidecutters to snip the legs off flush to the board, then just use a solder sucker to clean out the holes, I have done this when removing stuff and it reduces the risk of lifting the pads. It does very much depend on the board and component being removed as to it being possible though, but could be worth a try.

Looks very nice with the bananas and serge style knobs applause

EDIT - The straws remind me of the old Humphrey milk ads lol
the bad producer
I tried that, but it was a bummer, you need to melt the jack with the iron to get the cutters in close enough, this method seems to have a (roughly) 95% non-pad-lifting success rate!

Yeah, Burger King straws, stop the knobwobble a bit...

Gotta love the acid! I've watched quite a few of your clips - great stuff thumbs up
DGTom
applause

All these older Doepfers are so simple & look so good with bananas.

I 50/50 cut them off & desolder, the plastic sockets are so pissweak you can just cut the face of them right off hihi

Then I bend the metal tabs up & remove the rest of the plastic, then each metal part just falls out when you heat the bottom. Totally minimizes the risk of lifting traces... its a little brutal / RSI inducing but kind of theraputic & means those shit sockets will never harm another module screaming goo yo
the bad producer
DGTom wrote:

...the plastic sockets are so pissweak you can just cut the face of them right off hihi

thats the way to do it!...

just checkin out your avatar Tom... mmm nice cliff jacks hihi
DGTom
lol lol

I should prob. change that now those modules have been fixed huh!

I just liked the pink & green LED lighting... now I have more modules in that case they don't shine thru so much... but the bananas do have a nice glow screaming goo yo
mirri
Booohoooo, why didnt i bananafy my doepfers instead of selling...

M
Reality Checkpoint
You are inspirational.

I am now seriously considering getting into learning how to build my own stuff. I have been considering this for some while now, but as I know jack shit about all of this, and I mean jack shit, I have always not had the confidence to start. Time to change that.

Cheers! we're not worthy
BananaPlug
This thread looks like the closest thing we have to a generic how-to-bananafy Doepfer thread so I'm extending it.

Converting a skinny 4u A-148 dual S&H module

I have rather specific plans for this module and chose to leave a mini jack on one of the inputs. The banana jacks are deep and would hit some of the components so I used bushings on the jacks. Could have gotten away with thinner bushings but used what I had.

sog
what are the benifits of putting in banana jacks? im a noob confused
BananaPlug
sog wrote:
what are the benifits of putting in banana jacks? im a noob confused
The patch cords can be stacked. No more mults! They are also way more reliable due to the huge contact area and sturdier, without being big and heavy like 1/4"jacks.
sog
o right now i understand. thanks! 8_)
Reese P. Dubin
What modules present the switching jack conundrum? I know there is always a workaround, however these doepfers seem to keep free space at a premium. Always tons of this stuff getting dumped cheap by Serge lusters, might have to do some creative picking.
BananaPlug
Quote:
What modules present the switching jack conundrum?

Right, there's no switching banana jacks but of all the jacks on a typical modular a minority have a switch function (RTFM) and of those, a good number are for things you can easily patch point to point with short banana patch cords. The ones you want to do something about are for things like internal/external clock. For those you drill a hole and add a switch. You might not be able to do that on a crowded 4HP module but otherwise there's usually room. Plenty of examples to be found on this forum.

FYI, stacking is electrically the same as using a non-buffered mult. For combining signals you still need a mixer.
sog
can i use a 15v system with banana plugs together with a eurorack system with banana plugs?
Luka
as long as the psus are connected by ground
boramx
guys, this is killer, and i'm *partially* motivated to try it. though the price of all those jacks will add up.

have you guys converted the harvestman, mallekko, and make noise modules that have the PCBs mounted very close up to the faceplate, and parallel too?

seems trickier given the depth of bananas.

i'm sure it's possible. admittedly i'm a bit lazy about DIY. if i can knock out the whole project in two weeks i'll do it. if it drags on becuase i have to alter PCBs, perhaps not.....

anyone....?
BananaPlug
the bad producer
Yes please!

nanners This is fun! This is fun! nanners This is fun! nanners nanners nanners This is fun! nanners This is fun! This is fun! nanners This is fun! nanners nanners nanners
nanners nanners This is fun! nanners This is fun! nanners This is fun! nanners This is fun! nanners nanners This is fun! nanners This is fun! nanners This is fun! nanners
nanners This is fun! nanners nanners This is fun! nanners nanners nanners This is fun! nanners This is fun! nanners nanners This is fun! nanners nanners nanners
nanners This is fun! This is fun! nanners This is fun! nanners This is fun! nanners This is fun! nanners This is fun! This is fun! nanners This is fun! nanners This is fun! nanners
solaris
At the risk of losing 10 points with the following n00b question, I'd like to ask: when converting input Jacks to Banana what happens to the earth wire?
(I did a quick search but couldn't find the answer...)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3