MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Lineal VS Switching Power Supply Sound Quality
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Lineal VS Switching Power Supply Sound Quality
Socrates
Hello everybody,

Please excuse me if this question is kind of naive, but as i am quite new to many topics regarding sound quality & electronics, i would like your opinion on this. Lately i have been trying to find out the best small analogue console i could buy, i ended up with Studer 169 and few other models from the 60s & 70s as options. However, most well informed people and sellers of vintage gear i spoke to, all stressed the importance of buying a solid strong linear power supply in order to ensure the best sound quality from the console, as according to what they said, the power supply can affect a lot the sound quality, essentially giving ''cleaner'' electricity?

So, i thought that we can then assume this is the case for Eurorack systems too? Or not? Can somebody please explain if the difference is audible when using Lineal VS Switching power supply? Any other thoughts? Maybe this question is obvious to many but i would appreciate your opinions.

I see that Lineal power supplies go for good money, so i guess since they are more expensive (and bulky!) the must have something to offer.

Many thanks in advance!
daverj
There's no simple answer to your question.

Are switching supplies noisier than linear supplies? Generally yes.

Is that a problem? Sometimes.

A good circuit designer takes into account the entire system, including the power source, when designing a circuit. If a designer assumes that the power source is absolutely perfect, clean, and stable, they might make choices in the design that will cause issues when the circuit is used with a less than perfect power source.

On the other hand if the designer assumes the power source is just a source of raw power and might not be clean and stable, they will design the circuitry differently and build in protections from noisy and unstable power.

In general a switching supply has a constant flow of very thin, very high frequency spikes mixed into the DC voltage they put out. A linear supply does not. Can you hear that noise? Maybe. It depends on the design of the switching supply and the design of the circuit it is powering.

The noise on a switching supply might be a little bit above audio frequencies, or it might be a lot above. Those spikes fluctuate in size and/or frequency as the supply operates, and sometimes the filtering in the power rails can bring out very subtle fluctuations in the voltage that might be within the audio range. That still doesn't mean you can hear it. That depends on the circuitry that is powered by it, and the signal connections from that circuitry to external devices like amps and mixers.

An old audio console from the 60s or 70s was designed assuming a linear power supply. How clean and stable it was expecting that supply to be would depend on the brand and designer. There is plenty of professional audio equipment designed today that is powered from a switching power supply. And is perfectly clean.

With Eurorack there are a number of companies selling linear power supplies, and a number selling switching supplies. In many cases people owning the switching supplies have not noticed any kind of problem. But in other cases, using the same types of systems, somebody else has certainly noticed high pitched whistles and whines. Whether it's that person's attention to subtle noise, or the specific modules and external connections that caused them to hear it is not something easy to guess.

So there's no easy way to tell you if having a switching supply is going to cause you a problem. On the other hand, linear supplies generally do not ever get those high pitched whistles.

So I guess the bottom line is that if you get a linear supply you won't get high pitched digital noise in the output. If you get a switching supply, chances are you also won't get that whistle, or at least might not hear it. But you might.
Socrates
Dave, thank you a million for this extensive reply, i could not have asked for more, thanks for taking the time. Excellent information, i am sure this will be very interesting for other who might have had the same question. thumbs up

You really did put my wonder to rest. I will definitely buy a lineal power supply then, just in case. I want to make sure the highest quality electricity feeds my system. Caring about the best sound quality possible and as you said not being easy to determine the exact build quality of each module and how that might affect the overall sound, one would't like to leave it to chance regarding those high pitched whistles, which might or might not interfere of degrade the audio somehow. Do you recommend any one particularly?

If anybody has actually had some experience and noticeably heard the audi quality change when using lineal please let us know. Of if anybody had been able to A/B a sine wave or other audio with switching/lineal power supplies please do come forward!
Just me
One thing I have noticed over the years. Take it as just some old guy's subjective spew.
Switching power supplies, even inexpensive ones, for me have always had much more stable (voltage regulation wise) outputs than anything but the best and with biggest ultra high slewing rate transformer linear supplies.
If the linear doesn't have superb filtering and regulation, it will play hell with oscillators and sometimes filters. This can be designed out of the picture if rail voltages are higher than the module uses and the module is regulating and filtering the rails.
When linear supplies fail, they just go undervolt and then die. Usually. When switching supplies fail they can spike the hell out of the output. Sometimes.
slow_riot
I am a 100% firm believer that power supply, being the foundation of every signal in an audio system, is absolutely worth critical thinking about. Crucially, is that the quality of the system is matched to the PSU, a lot of expensive eurorack systems are being powered by throwaway PSUs.

However, in order to best look at the picture, you need to make your measurements absolutely objective, and rather than "sound quality", it is better to consider the role of the PSU in the overall system, and how well suited it is to satisfying the particular objectives that are required of it. Safety is perhaps even more critical than low noise and high ability to drive loads without loss of regulation. These last 2 points can be measured, BTW, and an honest manufacturer will tell you their specs.

I am currently maintaining/repairing a 40 amp switching power supply which is technically excellent, although really far too complex to be appropriate for a music system and has been so badly physically designed that I have thought about just ditching it for a new one. So it is theoretically possible that a switching supply can compete regarding noise (hint: you will need perhaps as many inductors as you do transformers in a linear supply), but I don't know if one is on the market yet.
Rex Coil 7
I've been exposed to what most folks would say is an unusual amount of power supply issues. Stompbox designs are subjected to the world's worst power supply systems. Often times stompboxes end up being powered by PSUs made for video games, cell phone chargers, and calculators ... masked by some trusted and known name. More times than I can remember I've heard someone tell me that the circuit I designed for them was junk ... I politely ask them to test the device using a 9v batt .. magically the "junk" pedal suddenly sounds like diamond plated golden angel's voices. Usually the person will then say something like "I figured since my power supply had brand name ~X~ on it that it could be trusted".

Not. Unfortunately.

Linear power supplies do have their issues, no doubt. However, a ~crappy~ switching PSU sounds WAY worse than a bad linear PSU. While some circuit designers prefer to design-in certain protections and filters, it should be noted that these filters and protections can (and do) "suck tone" from certain circuit types in certain applications.

In the guitar stompbox world, "tone suck" is a big deal. It's usually caused by impedance issues loading the guitar's pickups. But it is also caused by underpowered stompbox circuits. How did they become "underpowered"? Well, they're not actually "underpowered" per se, but they'd work FAR better if they had a couple more volts available for processing the sound. Those couple of volts can be found in power filters in many cases. For instance, when you're only working with 9vdc, cutting the available power by 1.2 volts (from using a polarity protection diode) isn't helping the "tone suck" issue at all. So, designing in fewer protections and power filters can create a for more "pure" tone (depending on the circuit and it's application).

In the end, using shitty power makes no more sense than putting crappy tires on that 800hp 200mph $Million+ ~Supercar~. It's like my flight chief told me when I was a teenage punk in the US Military ..... "Those boots cost you $80 bucks .... make them look like $80 boots!" (in reference to keeping a better shine on my boots). Well, the same goes for your audio processing system. You spend SERIOUSLY BIG CASH on these systems, yet so many of them are powered by crap (as has been mentioned already in this thread).

I owned/operated an RV Auxiliary Generator repair station for fifteen+ years. I saw that same bad attitude in that arena as well. People that owned $10k+ diesel generators in $Million+ RVs that don't regularly service that auxiliary power generator as it should be, and when they want it to perform it fails. Then they get pissed off because their $10k gen doesn't work. Clue .... get one. Some people's children.

Do yourself a favor ... put the best tires available on that Ferrari ... shine those $80 boots and show them the respect they deserve ... and buy good linear power for your synth (that probably cost more than the used car you own). Don't take it for granted that a "trusted" name brand is on the PSU ... many companies buy globally certified PSUs to jump over the cost of certifying their own power supplies (I can't blame them, it costs fat stacks to certify your own PSU all over the planet ..... FAAAAR less expensive to use a PSU that is already been given all of those World Certs .... just look at a decent wall wart sometime, it's slathered with certification logos...). Anyhow, many companies take it for granted that the PSU that they sell for THEIR devices is clean power and it will not create problems for other devices on the same power bus. Don't make the same mistake (I sure have!) of taking it for granted that because brand name "X" is on the PSU that it is assured to work with everything. You can end up chasing your tail trying to "fix" something in your modular system that isn't actually broken to begin with ... it's just crappy power causing the troubles.

I run in to this situation all the time. I must not be a "good circuit designer" because I refuse to make compromises in my processors to deal with crappy power. I insist that my customers use "clean power" ... and in the long run they are better off for it.

That said, I think it's clear that you have to use clean power, there are many other (hard headed) circuit designers out there like myself that place audio performance above "mission compromising protections" ... heheh. smile

If you want to put the worries of adding problems to your already very complex audio processor (your modular synth) to rest ... invest in solid power. Linear is heavier (physically heavier ... those transformers are dense and solid, made of iron laminates and copper windings on the best of them), they need to warm-up a bit before they'll become stable, and they throw off excess voltage as heat (they can be pretty inefficient) ... so yea, they come with some hassles ... but they also tend to provide the least problematic power.

This has been my experience on the issue.
listentoaheartbeat
The following thread turned into a very interesting (and heated) debate about power supplies. Worth reading if you are interested in this:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=105030