MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mutant Hihats Open Hat Decay Not Working
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Hexinverter Electronique  
Author Mutant Hihats Open Hat Decay Not Working
toneburst
I made up the a Mutant Hihat module a while ago. All seems fine, except the decay control on the open hat doesn't seem to do anything.

I've spent some time turning the trimmer pot on the back, but it doesn't seem to make any difference at all to the decay time.

The Decay pot and Decay CV input also seems to have to discernible effect on the decay time (which seems to be stuck at about 3 seconds).

Have I just not turned the trimmer far enough, or does this indicate a problem with my unit?

Any time on where I should focus my troubleshooting?

a|x
puzo
hi, i also have what appears to an identical problem? you get anywhere with this?
toneburst
@puzo hi, no, I haven't had a chance to look into it much. It hasn't fixed itself, though.

My next move is to reflow all the joints, and see if that helps. I also managed to solder a couple of the wrong value film caps, and an incorrect transistor. I spotted the problem, and managed to desolder the components and resolver them in the correct locations, but there's a possibility I may have damaged them by getting them too hot while I attempted to remove them. If reflowing doesn't work, I will try replacing these components.

a|x
puzo
was wondering if this may be a common problem with a common solution. next onto checking values and reflowing.

cheers
toneburst
@puzo any luck?

a|x
puzo
checking the board, did what could be called a classic, a 04 transister wrongly orientated, desoldered and popped a new one in, retested but no change in the decay amount, still on full.

all other orientated bits on right way, going through the other parts. cant read some of the parts as some of the caps are too tight.

still no luck here, closed hat part works fine. onto the laborious task of checking all the resistors
Dan Michaels
Had the Same Problem.
Changed the LED and now it Workshop Fine thumbs up
puzo
Hi dan

Was the LED working before you changed it, would led you to think about changing it? My decay LED works but will change it to see if it helps, will try anything cheers
Bishop Dust
Hi !

got the same problem here ! Could somebody confirm he solved the problem with removing the led , i find it a bit strange it s changing the decay confused
ambrohski
Interesting that the CV actually gets you something... I've got the same issue, without any love from feeding the CV though. very frustrating

I reached out, and Stacy @ Hexinverter sent schematics (pretty cool to do so, thanks). I re-flowed everything in the associated circuit, but no change. I will be moving on next to check resistor values as well, after replacing ICs, and even the vactrol.

Such a bummer, this one.
Bishop Dust
No cv in is not giving anything
ambrohski
Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to OP saying he was getting about 3 seconds... seriously, i just don't get it
wonkychris
Did anybody solve this problem?

I have the same issue or very similar. My decay controls don't work but I can bring the decay back down with the trimmer - but then it creeps back up again if I leave the module on for a while, say overnight. It varies so I can't really say a fixed time. Aaargh!
ambrohski
I bit the bullet, and have a new PCB set for this- I'll build it, and use it to isolate the issue on the old one... I've got a few more projects in the cue that will offer a little more satisfaction when completed, so it'll be a little bit before I do it Smash!
wonkychris
ambrohski wrote:
I bit the bullet, and have a new PCB set for this- I'll build it, and use it to isolate the issue on the old one... I've got a few more projects in the cue that will offer a little more satisfaction when completed, so it'll be a little bit before I do it Smash!

OK cool. Look forward to hearing your findings!
ambrohski
So, I finally got around to building it again, and I had some interesting discoveries. The new one works as designed. The first discovery was that I had not built the first one with 1% resistors, and I suspect that is the cause of my issue there. I plan on replacing them, when I get motivated to do it, it might be a while though as I now have one that works great.

The 100K trimmer for decay length gave me a problem, and might just be what you guys are experiencing- Clockwise rotation of the trimmer should shorten the length, but those things are are susceptible to breaking if over turned. When I fired up the new build, I went through the whole range of closed length from the trimmer, but then I went too far when seeing how short I could make the length. It was then I had the length stuck at max, which could not be turned down. I knew it worked before messing with the pot, so I swapped it out, and it was good to go.

Be careful turning that pot, too far is a killer!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Hexinverter Electronique  
Page 1 of 1