MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Live Sampler Module?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Live Sampler Module?
Sandrine
As I am fairly new to the modular world, I was wondering if there is interest in a 16 bit live sampler module?

I just finished a sampler design (using PIC and Arduino) that has 184 seconds (at 48khz) max sample size, does multiple samples, super long echos, LFO FX, note pitch shift, auto-slicing, records and plays simultaneously, and has MIDI control.

http://www.freshnelly.com/showbox-sampler.htm

After I'm finished with this big project the sampler is for, I was thinking on designing a modular sampler that would have the same features, but CV control added etc.

As I am not yet familiar with modular likes/dislikes, could anyone interested in this idea post what you would like it to be able to do?

IMHO, I think it would be a great module!
skookum
Hell yeah, I think so too!
Sandrine
Right on!

Sorry to anyone trying to hear the Sampler samples at the bottom of page, I had them mixed up, just noticed. very frustrating
They're fixed now

With the sampler I do a freestyle layering, where a new sample is created using live and previous samples. It's controlled with a footswitch (start record/stop&play last/start rec new layer) so stays in tempo with performance
...but that's me controlling the gitter or synth by hand so I can correct.

I guess (using without a MIDI clock) this sync would need to be output to keep other stuff in sync? Like an arp module? See I'm a newb
falafelbiels
Well... A clock input would be even better.

Furthermore, very cool project!
Sandrine
Thanks falafelbiels!

Yes there would be a clock input of course., But for freestyling, wouldn't that output be needed for other stuff, or chaining?
So you mean a actual dedicated clock line right?
toneburst
ABSOLUTELY, I'd be interested!
A good-quality (i.e. not 8bit) loop/delay Euro module with a decent max delay time would be brilliant!

a|x
myecholalia
have a look at the 4ms dual looping delay. some similarities. you might want to differentiate yourself enough to make the project successful.
ABC
Make it DIY friendly, and they will fly away
notmiserlouagain
Yes, a diy-sampler with as much as possible cv/gate controlled parameters would be really cool!
I would like to build one, if a programming-moron like me can do it...
cretaceousear
Yep me too - would love a high quality delay in DIY.
That build page looks damn complex though! 6 boards right?
But very, very impressive stuff!
Dogma
the interface is whats gonna decide the success of this and eery other sampler....the HW is cheap as chips smile
Sandrine
Wow! I'm surprised at the interest in this!

Thankyou myecholalia for the heads up! I've had a very interesting morning of reading! Now I have some ideas of what everyone would like.

Cretaceousear, this would be the modular design, that was the MIDI controlled "lets see how tiny I can make it to fit inside my portable Box" hither

I'd keep the design on a flat board (with probably headers to another board) because there's so much space behind a modular panel.

It well could be a kit, but I'm having issues with the ADC, it's TSSOP so may have to either get those on the boards, or supply a breakout to standard DIP format. I've soldered them with a regular iron, but it's tricky!

Dogma, yes the interface is the real issue. Complex but simple to use.

I think I'll take this on then Guinness ftw!

I'm about to go on "holidays" so now I'll have something to think about laying around in the sun!

If anyone can think of a request just let me know, and I'll see if it can be done.
Sandrine
Off the top of my head, some features would be

screaming goo yo Synced or manual (input switch/trigger) Layering of samples

screaming goo yo Slicing by division of sample, Peaks, or tempo, with CV or MIDI selection of sliced samples

screaming goo yo Tempo division/multiplication (Gate or MIDI)

screaming goo yo Tap Tempo (I've been doing a lot of that lately!) for echo/sample/sync ( with thru socket?)

screaming goo yo CV controlled sample rate (pitch shift) with "note lock" for chromatic scaling based on CV note description, or free pitch (no glissando, just a slide)

screaming goo yo Echo Mode (synced or not) to echo tight or long

screaming goo yo Peak functions from audio input to sync record starts / Slicing / other

screaming goo yo Sample hold (granualizing effect) with variable forward / reverse rate

screaming goo yo Reverse variable/accelerator for "scratch" effect

screaming goo yo Stutter effect? (uses binary AND or OR to control a section of sample memory address width, derived from an analog source)

screaming goo yo MIDI I/O on DIP switch selected channel for sequencer/keyboard control

screaming goo yo MIDI programmable / board presets (of course!)

screaming goo yo Internal LFO bypassed when external is plugged in (separate from CV) with variable gain

screaming goo yo Configurable velocity sensing on MIDI notes input/pulse input/trig/gate? To control Slice sample's level individually.

screaming goo yo Built in EQ (basic bass/mid/treb type) with various centers

screaming goo yo Audio Feedback insertion (auto-bypass on both sockets) w/variable gain

Most of the controls would be digital to vactrols/digital processing to allow board presets to take over, if presets are implemented. If not then most will be analog.

44k-48k sample rate (record+play-mono) or 96k (play only, for sample rate shifting +1 octave without "skipping" samples)

184 second record time (important for layering) at standard sample rate.

Easy to get parts for "mostly" DIY!

--

The existing sampler design does most of this already (except CV stuff)

I think it'd require some sort of display as well (LED/LCD). Mine only has a status LED Red=record, Green=play, yellow=record and play, blue flash=tempo event, but the sequencer/controller in my can display everything else so . .

This would be mono as stereo is left to the post FX right? The overhead for stereo would mean either sample rate lower, or more parts/$$
L/R panning could be easily incorporated though, as done in the present design. It sounds stereo really.

I know I'm forgetting lots but this is a start smile
Sandrine
Oh yeh, firmware updatable with the Arduino end of it, but instead of a pro-mini, a trinket can be used so no need for FTDI. This would be at the builder's discretion.
I knew I forgot something!
falafelbiels
Sandrine wrote:
Thanks falafelbiels!

Yes there would be a clock input of course., But for freestyling, wouldn't that output be needed for other stuff, or chaining?

Yes a regular clock input like any eurorack sequencer has or should have. A module that can only be clock master is rather limiting when patching. One should always be able to slave a sequencer type module.

IMO at least...

What you are working on is really impressive hyper
Sandrine
falafelbiels wrote:
Sandrine wrote:
Thanks falafelbiels!

Yes a regular clock input like any eurorack sequencer has or should have. A module that can only be clock master is rather limiting when patching. One should always be able to slave a sequencer type module.

IMO at least...

What you are working on is really impressive hyper

Thanks, I'm lovin' it!

Yes that's why having a "thru" jack might be good. That way, it could control, or be controlled. Of course it adds another jack to what promises to be a pretty busy panel.
falafelbiels
Oh one more jack...
You'd hardly notice the difference
c1t1zen
Love your ideas so far Sandrine.
You mention all the extra space in eurorack but the trend is more for low profile skiff friendly modules lately. It's not really a big issue but some people may complain if it's too deep.
Also will it be possible to download the samples later if we record an awesome clip?
Sandrine
Thanks c1t1zen smile

Um, it won't be deep (jacks+unless 1" is deep?) it'll be wide, mostly for all the knobs and jacks involved. OMG it's getting pretty high in number thus far

As for downloading samples, no, the data bus isn't accessible that way, it's be record the audio is all. The internal setup that created it can be saved but not what you fed into it. Sorry
c1t1zen
cool, no worries just curious it's not a deal breaker. It definitely rare to see a sampler that alows you to output a previous recording. That's what running your DAW during jams is for!
Sandrine
Cool, oh you're right, I didn't know everything was less the 40mm wow! Thanks for that!
c1t1zen
Hehe, not everything but thanks SMD!
I do a lot of through hole DIY and will soon start doing more SMD. I see you've already got that sorted.
mxmxmx
Quote:
more SMD. I see you've already got that sorted.

speaking of which -- isn't there some modern equivalent to PCM53J? this bit made me wonder :

Quote:
The board [...] uses a PCM 53JP 16 bit DAC. These DACs were purchased from China on Ebay, fairly cheap, but I suspect the design is decades old. It has all of the earmarks of the 80's, i.e. reversed MSB/LSB (Q0 is MSB), big power draw, ...

googling the part does throw up a couple of ebay sellers, some of which are fairly cheap, some of which not so cheap. isn't there something that's still in production? that SDRAM chip seems to be less "rare", at least there seem to be plenty on alibaba/aliexpress; or where would one get those?
latigid on
IMO this would be better as separate modules or a standalone unit. The power draw for everything is already becoming significant. It would allow (for instance) wigglers to choose their own input stage and EQ and patch it as they wish. The troubleshooting side is also easier with separate components.

So I would strip it down to just the unique part, which is the actual sampling section.

Might I just add that this would be a cool project for MIDIbox with most of the hardware side and programming protocols already established.
Sandrine
mxmxmx wrote:
Quote:
more SMD. I see you've already got that sorted.

speaking of which -- isn't there some modern equivalent to PCM53J? this bit made me wonder :

Quote:
The board [...] uses a PCM 53JP 16 bit DAC. These DACs were purchased from China on Ebay, fairly cheap, but I suspect the design is decades old. It has all of the earmarks of the 80's, i.e. reversed MSB/LSB (Q0 is MSB), big power draw, ...

googling the part does throw up a couple of ebay sellers, some of which are fairly cheap, some of which not so cheap. isn't there something that's still in production? that SDRAM chip seems to be less "rare", at least there seem to be plenty on alibaba/aliexpress; or where would one get those?

Oh yes, there's lots of 16 bit DACs, but the price is what pulls the PCM53 into the circuit. The DAC may change tho because external latches needed to be added. I just happened to have a couple on hand from another project. It is a bit of a power pig too. That's the only part on the board that does draw. The RAM can "sleep" so it only draws on active. DIP is nice in any case.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5