MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Live Sampler Module?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Live Sampler Module?
Sandrine
latigid on wrote:
IMO this would be better as separate modules or a standalone unit. The power draw for everything is already becoming significant. It would allow (for instance) wigglers to choose their own input stage and EQ and patch it as they wish. The troubleshooting side is also easier with separate components.

So I would strip it down to just the unique part, which is the actual sampling section.

Might I just add that this would be a cool project for MIDIbox with most of the hardware side and programming protocols already established.

Many(most) of the control's functions are handled / generated by the processors, so splitting into multiple modules could only be an outboard function, required for operation.

The feedback stage will have an insert, while the input (filtered for aliasing) is whatever is fed in. The EQ flattened. Or am I misunderstanding you?

The EQ chip is really incidental. It acts as a router as well (sans vactrols...which was the original design actually!) but more importantly, has a wonderful anti-click and soft mute system with variable step rates that can change to suit the function/mode. this is pretty important in a looping/layering sampler I've discovered.

So other than the controls, it'd be difficult to break this up.

MIDIbox? I'm not sure what that is. It sounds good though. I've thought about MIDI I/O but isn't there already a lot of them out there?

Cheers and thankyou for your input latigid!
Sandrine
!
That has given me a couple of ideas though!

A port to link multiple units together so they sync from any master

.. and

A DC (not decoupled) input switch to allow sampling of CV voltage direct (using existing CV control input) so a CV can be recorded instead of audio. This would be a mode I suppose.

Are these good/useful?
latigid on
Yeah, my thinking was the HP size is also getting quite large and that having MIDI inputs never quite looks right on a modular synth. Just my opinion...

You can learn more about MIDIbox at

http://midibox.org/forums and
http://ucapps.de

Sometimes it will feel like you're talking into an echo chamber (apt for your project! razz ) but there are quite knowledgable folk there.

Interested in seeing what you come up with in any case.

Best regards,
Sandrine
Ooooo! I've never heard of MIDIbox! Finally a place to post the dozens of \midi projects I've made over the years! Nice, thanks Latigid!

On the MIDI jacks, yes i know what you mean. I could disguise them as 3.5mm jacks, but then those silly adapters would be needed.

"...but there are quite knowledgeable folk there. "
Yes I totally agree, that's why I ask what you (the wigglers) want. My modular experience is rather limited, and I had moved on to a sailboat for some time, had to get rid of everything ( I miss my Moog!) so kinda starting over now back on land.

I'll draft up a CG panel and we'll see where things go from there
Sandrine
The PCM54 seems to have almost identical specs but only draws 30 mA total, somewhat less than the PCM53 with it's 36mA (+/- 15) and 4mA on the 5V.
The trade-off is only +/- 3V out as opposed to +/- 10V on the 53.
The 54 is a bit cheaper on ebay too...

I was on Digikey and the parallel DAC's are insanely priced, probably why I nixed those!

SO I'm still leaning toward the 53, <10$, good $$ if bought in bulk (10+)
vtl5c3
Very interested!

Just to be clear, will there be a way to CV control feedback in echo mode?

Also, will it support 5 1/4" floppy drives?
Sandrine
vtl5c3 wrote:
Very interested!

Yes, a CV input can be steered that way

vtl5c3 wrote:

In which way? via audio.? Wouldn't that just be another delay? please explain
Sandrine
Still working on the modular design. . .
There's 4 CV inputs now, but not sure about that feedback CV. Send or Return side? Both?
I'm away on holidays so can only scribble on napkins lol

Looks like there'll be 4 sections, and it'll be euro due to the amount of jacks, they're adding up. The 4 sections are input strip, sampler body, EQ, and output/feedbak section.

The EQ will be selectable single/multiple band CV controlled.

The creativity engine always kicks in when I'm on holidays. This, and lyrics smile

Cheers!
sammy123
Cool project. Count me as interested.
glennfin
vtl5c3 wrote:

I'm sure that is a joke.. hyper
Sandrine
Ha! Thought so, but you know...
I've had weirder requests!
I worked as an electronics tech, but also did custom jobs and you'd be surprised at what people think can be done meh meh meh
NS4W
Impressive project!
Sandrine
Update:
Panel type decision

Because I can't figure out how to create a poll in an existing subject, I guess I'll just post the question:

What is YOUR preferred format for the SDS Sampler/Looper?

I'm leaning toward Eurorack as there are >14 jacks and >12 knobs so far, also several buttons so it's getting fairly large!

The electronics & programming is easy, the panel design is hard!

Still on holidays but have been giving panel much thought. Inputs on left side, outputs mostly along the side (edit) some on bottom, a basic block diagram on the panel to indicate signal flows. Sound good?
Sandrine
NS4W wrote:
Impressive project!

Thanks NS4W! Your tunes take me back, love the pwm-y sound, of course that may just be these cheapo notebook speakers lol!
sammy123
Eurorack please.
NS4W
Yes - euro by all means!
Sandrine
vtl5c3 wrote:
Very interested!

Just to be clear, I'm in a bit of a quandary on the feedback CV. The design that is on the table makes CV control the FBK send a simple matter, but CV gain of the return adds a fair bit of circuitry and panel pot. Do you think a return gain needs to be CV controllable?

Just trying to keep costs down hmmm.....
cereyanlimusiki
@Sandrine project is nice one but why does your website look like it is from 90s smile
Sandrine
Because I'm from the 90's lol!
Isn't it cool to be retro now?

Old habits, I have a huge website on a 45' sailboat build over 10 years. It was started in '97 so..

http://www.thebigsailboatproject.com
Sandrine
I just added some samps more pertinent to modular setups:

http://www.freshnelly.com/tunes2015/samsamsliceduplive.MP3
Me playing in gitter notes during record trigger (16 beats) then sequencer chopping it all up

http://www.freshnelly.com/tunes2015/samsamvoxmidisamp.MP3
My voice getting pitched and sequenced, then granulized.

http://www.freshnelly.com/tunes2015/samsammidicont1.MP3
Gitter progression getting chopped up and re-arranged, the grained. This is really fun if the sequencer is in a loop and the record lasts a predictable amount of time each time. Here, because there's no beat, I wasn't sure when that time has passed so it's kinda out of sync.
Maco
Hey sandrine niceeee project was looking for chips for samplers to try to design one but you have save me time really like your implementation for the sampler have a couple of sugestions:

Can you add a switch to select the audio out, for example I put in the audio in a volca beat sample something and have the ability to select sample and volca beats together, sample only and volca beats only.

Could you consider to have a main pcb and a controller pcb this open a lot the possibilities to use it on euro, frac, 4u etc

I like a bit this one http://www.boss.info/products/rc-505/
But im looking to have like a sampler per instrument and love to have like a suitcase with the four volcas plus some fx and have fun Also this will need like punch in and punch out sample button i guess

Thanks and excellent work
magneticstripper
Awesomeness! Very nice project!
Sandrine
Maco wrote:

Can you add a switch to select the audio out, for example I put in the audio in a volca beat sample something and have the ability to select sample and volca beats together, sample only and volca beats only.

Thanks Maco
Are you talking 2 samples playing? Or just a bypass?
I've considered stereo @ 41k max, but a bit more hardware to do (switching the DAC really fast) but that's a really good idea in either case. Like a DJ soft switch I guess

A controller PCB separate? hmm. The present design (not posted yet) would allow for MIDI comm from one to another, but really I suppose it could be done that way, I'll look into it!

I'm going to switch the "controller" to an Atmega 2560 just because it's more powerful, more pins, and has lot's of ADCs

Thanks for the suggestions!
Sandrine
magneticstripper wrote:
Awesomeness! Very nice project!

Thanks!
Maco
Yes more like a by pass also could be wonderful if you leave some extra holes trough the traces to chain between boards and have a global button to sync play/rec.

Probably a fader is a good idea
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 2 of 5