MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

8U MOS-LAB Kobol Expander III
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author 8U MOS-LAB Kobol Expander III
yusynth
Hi
I've just received this new friend to play with….

Installed in 12 U cabinet with two pals…

DomMorley
eek!

jawdrop
Eric the Red
That looks cool - lets hear it Rockin' Banana!
diophantine
applause

Looks great!! I'm looking forward to mine (I'm in the 3rd batch). Trying to decide if I want it rack-mounted, or the 8MU version to put it in an 11-space case with some mults & attenuators...
Gringo Starr
Nice! Congratulations. SlayerBadger!
yusynth
A short test…
[s]https://soundcloud.com/yusynth/expanderiii-test-1[/s]
kindredlost
Super elegant. thumbs up
JohnLRice
Sounds great! w00t
Mark11Audio
JohnLRice wrote:
Sounds great! w00t

Nicely done, sounds fabulous and tight !!! thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
MindMachine
I was sold at the first note. Very nice. Congrats.
usw
I heard your test yesterday, It sounds beautiful, mellow and bold at the same time love
sbuge
Sounds really great! applause
leitner6
Can it do dangerous?

awesome synth. congrats.
Dave Peck
Why don't you guys ever show us pictures of the BACK of your new modules?

Some of us really want to see stuff like the way the board layout is done, component types, is it through-hole or SMT, are the panel controls mounted on a board or connected via wires, is the board parallel or perpendicular & how deep is the module, etc. Thanks!
The Disquiet
What are these two Oberheim panels in the rack above the Kobol, some modular SEM flavor?
usw
Dave Peck wrote:

Yves posted some more on a french forum including this one :

yusynth
Dave Peck wrote:

Thanks usw for posting the image.
OK some answers : two PCBs one for the potentiometers and jacks and one for the synth itself. Only through hole components (except may be for the HM VCF module). In the original kobol the VCF and the enveloppes were based on Curtis chips. In the MOS-LAB expander the VCF is using an OEM module recreated by Hearn Morley in discrete components (https://sites.google.com/site/hearnmorley/products/hm2040). The VC-ADS has been recreated with "of the shelf" components by yours truly.
The depth behind the panel is around 5 to 6 cm.
Here it is the 5U module version, it is powered with +15V/-15V using a DOTCOM PSU connector.
MOS-LAB also propose a version integrated into a standard rack case with a PSU.

Some design differences compared with the original one :
two LFOs instead of one (very cool for complex modulation).
The CV input MOD ADS of the low row does not act the same way (it is Seb Moumon's choice) as in the original. In the original this input controls the amount of the ADS sent to the VCF, in the MOS-LAB it acts like a direct cut-off control, that is when a jack is plugged the ADS is disconnected and the cut-off is controlled by the jack.
EMwhite
Just out of curiosity, are the ICs all standard op-amp types or are some hard to find custom chips that RSF utilized or are some used to consolidate discreet components from the original Expander?

Not much on that board and I see a few resistors on the 'pot board'; I guess I'm part curious and part amazed at how much functionality can be squeezed onto what appears to be a sparsely populated board especially considering the amount of jacks and pots.

I had to take apart my Pro-One (which uses ICs in areas where other synths, like Tom's, used discreet) and was also amazed at how much functionality and tonal range/features can be accomplished with a seemingly small group of parts.

I owned Voyagers for the better part of the last 10 years and was blown away by the LARGE number of parts, even with all of the ICs. (and I'm talking about the Old School so no CPU, memory, etc).

I guess the question is, are there a large # of components on the jack/pot board and if not, how many ICs on the original RSF Expander vs. MOS-LABs.
Dave Peck
Nice! applause applause

The method of mounting those jacks with the little buss wires seems a bit unusual, but I see that it nicely solves the old problem of mounting pots & jacks that have different mounting heights. Well done!
yusynth
No only of the shelf components except for the LM394s of the VCOs, otherwise only TL0xx some CA3083 and CA3080.
There was less components on the original because RSF used curtis ICs.
The pot boards contains only a small amount of trannies (for LED drivers) and resistors.
yusynth
28 ICs, 29 transistors...
nidas
Got min aswell yesterday. very good packed as usuall and bulid quality is really good as expected from Seb. I have just tried it for an hour or so but this thing is really something special. Filter is insane.

I will mount it in a seperate 10U case with a Mult and Attuenators.

Will write more and upload sound when I have had more time with it.
duluthdack
we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy Oh man, that must be a wicked ride!
Wray
All very beautiful...
I've read that it comes in two versions; a rack model and a 8U version for a Modular set-up. Does anyone has a picture of this Modular version? Or do they both look the same? Is the height the same as other Mos-Lab modules?
DJFonzi
Wray wrote:
All very beautiful...
I've read that it comes in two versions; a rack model and a 8U version for a Modular set-up. Does anyone has a picture of this Modular version? Or do they both look the same? Is the height the same as other Mos-Lab modules?

I'm pretty sure there's a pic of it in Yusynth's post above with the SoundCloud link

ETA:
Now that my phone's fully loaded this thread, there appears to be a picture of the MU version in the first post.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2