MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Any Music Easel-K owners here?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Any Music Easel-K owners here?
nickbaba
So... on the BEMI site there is also a version of the Music Easel called the Easel-K.

http://www.buchla.com/product/easel-k/

Same deal but with the multi-dimensional controller instead of the touch keyboard.

Quote:
The 218 Touch Activated Voltage Source has been swapped out for the 223e Multi-Dimensional Kinisthetic Input Port/Tactile Input Port. This controller is the paragon of tactile interfacing with electronic instruments and allows for significant flexibility of control. Its 25 touch pads sensitive to various parameters (pressure, impact, and location) can be programmed to combination of the 19 voltage outputs and 9 trigger outputs.

OK so I know its like $1,000 more expensive but is there anyone here who's gone for this option?

I've not seen it used anywhere, on youtube or anything, unless I've missed something. (Have seen it used with other Buchla modular systems tho')

Isn't this closer to Buchla's original vision for his instruments eg taking musicians out of their Western harmony comfort zone?

Pros/Cons to this version? (apart from cost, of course). Is the controller nightmareishly hard to work with? hmmm.....

Anyone here using this controller with other Buchla systems? It can be programmed in multiple ways, so could it be used as a "normal" tuned keyboard if desired, amongst other, more alien, options?

Thing looks damn cool, anyway!
tIB
Im pretty sure it hasnt been released yet, so unless someone has matched the two up themselves I doubt you will find an actual easel-k user. That said plenty will have used the controller (inc me- it's great!), and my first thought on seeing the easel 4 space was bung the 222e in it along with a few other e-series bits. Looks like a great combination to me and very configurable. I would want presets for the 223e though.
MATSmile
Gl waiting bro /\/\/\
nickbaba
Right, OK...so just not released yet...

I guess that explains it!
nickbaba
I'm seriously thinking about this as my first Buchla.

Been thinking about/listening to Easels since I heard about the re-issues, and I'm attracted to the whole alien concept kind of more than the standard keyboard set-up. I'm not a keyboard player at all,so...

If I do go for it I'm pretty sure I'll be back on here looking for help with the 223e, tho...
deltaphoenix
Make sure to search as there is already a lot of good info about the 222e/223e.
I really loved my 222, although a bit buggy(sometimes double triggers, or triggering the one next to it instead of the one my finger was on) but the a ability to tune each key different is really fantastic. sometimes it's a bit of a pain. and I wish that this could save more than one preset.

I think it's really cool, overkill for a 208? perhaps. But I was able to coax some very nice dissonant scales playing things s lightly off key, makes it sound more like a geeetar
nickbaba
Yeah I have been doing some studying... wuz just anticipating running into something I couldn't source online, and I know the wizards hang out here...

Still, I should think positive, eh? hyper
razzmtazz266
here is video where roland uses a 223e with a 208r
nickbaba
awesome vid! thanks for that...

FWIW this is from BEMI this week:

"the easel-k is a 2-4 week wait, if not sooner
the issue with the standard easel wait time is the keyboard section which has very long lead times…
the easel-k utilises the 223e so this is less of a walt time, as we have 223e’s coming off the line shortly"
Omnichordman
Quote:
Isn't this closer to Buchla's original vision for his instruments eg taking musicians out of their Western harmony comfort zone?

Pros/Cons to this version? (apart from cost, of course). Is the controller nightmareishly hard to work with? hmmm.....

Anyone here using this controller with other Buchla systems? It can be programmed in multiple ways, so could it be used as a "normal" tuned keyboard if desired, amongst other, more alien, options?

Thing looks damn cool, anyway!

Hi there,

got my Easel-K for about a week now, and I am totally pleased with my decission. I had a Easel on order for a couple of month already, when the news came up about the 223e option. I imediately changed my order and it might even had sped up the delivery, "only" 3 month later I finally have it.
It took a while to wrap my head around how the 223 works. The documentation in the series 200e manual is partly outdated, so I might miss out on some arpeggiator details.
But after a couple of nights I am already pretty familar with the whole system.
For what I am into, like akward scales and tactile control, the 223e is the perfect tool. I can also use it in combination with my other modular gear, which was a strong argument for the purchase.
For the Easel alone, the 223e is a bit of an overkill, with 30 CV-outputs against the 10 CV-inputs of the 208. But then again, you can use the 4 radio-groups as 4 quasi presets, to compensate for the lack of storages places without a 206e or 225e.
As for using scales, you need a chromatic tuner for precise intervalls, as you are dealing with millivolts. People who are used to traditonal keyboards might prefer the LEM218, but for expressive experimental stuff, the 223e wins hands down...
One thing, as much as I love the sound and the amazing design and layout of the instrument, the total lack of documentation is a shame. My Easel-K came without anything, not one piece of paper or even a download link.

...just my 2 cents...

best,
Omnichordman
solaris
Omnichordman wrote:

One thing, as much as I love the sound and the amazing design and layout of the instrument, the total lack of documentation is a shame. My Easel-K came without anything, not one piece of paper or even a download link.

...just my 2 cents...

best,
Omnichordman

check here:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2001710#2001710

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2005472#2005472
Omnichordman
Thanks, Solaris, very much apreciated !
solaris
@Omnichordman: you are welcome.
but the thanks go to forum member amnesia for putting together the 200e docs, and to an high-ranked member of the buchla.sekret.society for scanning the Allen Strange Easel's manual in hi-quality.
captnapalm
solaris wrote:

but the thanks go to forum member amnesia for putting together the 200e docs, and to an high-ranked member of the buchla.sekret.society for scanning the Allen Strange Easel's manual in hi-quality.

Heh, sekret society I am not! But I'm glad folks are getting use out of the scan. Call it well spent.
Omnichordman
solaris wrote:
@Omnichordman: you are welcome.

Yes, of course! Thanks to everyone who contributed to fill the Buchla void with all this info, helping out the Easel newbie I was!
JamieH
I have had my easel for 5-6 weeks now, I am begining to think I should of gone for the K instead as i am now planing to add a few 200e modules to my studio, i think the 223 would have worked better for me as a controller.
SlowNerveAction
Just got my Easel K and am loving it, I have a link to a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKC3zViLHwY
This is like the second or third day I had it. It is really amazing. Ill get some more video as soon as I get any extra time.

nucleus
Well thats what i would go for, there is no doubt the 223e is a tone of fun in conjunction with the 208. i find it as quite an amazing instrument and seems like you can coax more diverse sounds in that combination than the easel.
slam
Anyone else using the Easel-K? Been contemplating a purchase.
pines
I’m thinking about this too... especially with this information in another thread from Buchla USA

Buchla U.S.A. wrote:

Knarzwaltz wrote:
And when you change the case..why the hell not include a compartment for the powersupply and cables/sjortings? .....theres a lot of air under the 218....and even under the boats....

There is a fair amount of space under the 218, but we like to keep that space in case the user would like to employ our "expanded Easel." It's a package we'll be selling soon that includes an expanded bus board, a LEM 218 case and power to allow you to use the 218 area and that extra space for 200e modules.
Clockgate
I have had an Easel-K for just over a year. I had a recent financial scare and almost had to sell it, but luckily managed to sell some non-music gear instead.

The 223e is such an expressive controller, but with just an Easel, it might be a bit over the top. I have the Aux expander, CardOc and 208 toolbox on the Easel hub, so plenty of destinations for the 223e. I also have a LEM3 with a 267e and a 226h cv to midi. I use the 223e/226h to control software mellotrons and the Eventide H9, and it works super with these.

So my advice is definitely get the Easel-K if you plan on using the 223e to control other equipment in addition to the Easel. If not, it's still amazing, but you won't take full advantage of the 223e's capabilities.
slam
Clockgate wrote:
I have had an Easel-K for just over a year. I had a recent financial scare and almost had to sell it, but luckily managed to sell some non-music gear instead.

The 223e is such an expressive controller, but with just an Easel, it might be a bit over the top. I have the Aux expander, CardOc and 208 toolbox on the Easel hub, so plenty of destinations for the 223e. I also have a LEM3 with a 267e and a 226h cv to midi. I use the 223e/226h to control software mellotrons and the Eventide H9, and it works super with these.

So my advice is definitely get the Easel-K if you plan on using the 223e to control other equipment in addition to the Easel. If not, it's still amazing, but you won't take full advantage of the 223e's capabilities.

Thanks for clarifying. Makes me lean toward getting the regular easel instead
mutierend
I bought an Easel-K. Then I bought a 200e system and moved the 223e to it, and bought a 218 and put it in my Easel. I think doing that saved me a little bit of money on the cost of buying the 223e separately.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1