Yamaha Reface

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Synthmatic
Learning to Wiggle

Yamaha Reface

Post by Synthmatic » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:50 pm

Saw this on Synthtopia. Yamaha analog?

https://yamahasynth.com/

n_m
Veteran Wiggler

Post by n_m » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:07 pm

Likely modelling of this here pile with a luxury keyboard.

Summer NAMM?

dopefiend
Likes SHOUTING!

Post by dopefiend » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:20 pm

Shit!! There's mention of piano-like keys and of the "pipe dream" of owning a CS-80, and the background music sounds like the CS-80/60/50 ring modulator.......sounds way too good to be true!!!! :woah: :woah: :love: :love:

de_raaf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by de_raaf » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:27 am

kind makes me think that yamaha is going the aira route maybe?

winterhater
Common Wiggler

Post by winterhater » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:01 am

yamaha doesnt make me think of techno like roland or korg, im curious to see what they have come up with

Luap
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luap » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:30 am

oops, vid is already there in the first post, ignore :)

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:13 am

Definitely curious.
Get ready to create your sound any place, any time
Sounds like a promise for hands-on UI to me.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

IR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by IR » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:33 am

de_raaf wrote:kind makes me think that yamaha is going the aira route maybe?
probably, based on the silly name they chose it would seem to be some kind of virtual thing

Vacancy Of Disco
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Vacancy Of Disco » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:00 am

keeping my expectations low...hardware controller for cs80 vst.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Yamaha Reface

Post by Funky40 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:53 pm

edited: sorry, total pointless post
( i was folled by the countdown )

not expecting much.
as others do: a "VST" with UI. The name indeed suggests it.
For sale:........it won´t sell, so i stopp bother you ;)

Sammymyman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sammymyman » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:08 pm

Hi :) first post here. I think that Yamaha may truly suprise us here. Maybe even take the korg route with a smaller version CS80. Fingers crossed!

Fidgit
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Fidgit » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:05 am

"I’m working with Yamaha on a project right now; I can’t say what it is, but it’s pretty crazy. This synthesizer has new technology that’s never been implemented before, so it’s totally alien to anything I’ve ever used. I’ve had to spend a few weeks just understanding the architecture of it. "

- Richard Devine

flo
Space Jack

Post by flo » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:29 am

Well that sounds interesting :tu:

Morley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Morley » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:56 am

Interesting...

johny_gtr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by johny_gtr » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:40 am

imho this teaser doesn't create any GAS value. A lot of chat and unknown people faces, music on background. Please more MOOG-style demos or MOS-LAB live playing videos.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:08 am

I kind of hope it is virtual and a new take, bc these reissues aren't really doing it for me, at least the ones i've tried.

Save the BS2, but than thats not having to compete with golden era synths, so has less to live up to.

nickster
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nickster » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:27 am

Interesting! :eek: Just looking at the video what I can glean is. A CS type Ring Modulator. Controls that look like the paddle switches used on the CS synths and a keyboard that looked like it had piano style keys but this was difficult to determine.
I have high hopes for Yamaha bringing out something truly interesting. But we will all have to wait and see.

StereoNode
Common Wiggler

Post by StereoNode » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:37 pm

Just a guess here.. Refacing of the Yamaha PSR-273, now w/ a sweet new ringmod, re-amped "studio kit" as well??

:bananaguitar:

flabby
Veteran Wiggler

Post by flabby » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:16 am

StereoNode wrote:Just a guess here.. Refacing of the Yamaha PSR-273, now w/ a sweet new ringmod, re-amped "studio kit" as well??

:hihi:

They said it was portable, which in this day and age means it's got to be SUPER - small! …. and have usb. Maybe we'll be getting a FM DX Necktie

dopefiend
Likes SHOUTING!

Post by dopefiend » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:48 pm

flabby wrote:
StereoNode wrote:Just a guess here.. Refacing of the Yamaha PSR-273, now w/ a sweet new ringmod, re-amped "studio kit" as well??

They said it was portable, which in this day and age means it's got to be SUPER - small! …. and have usb. Maybe we'll be getting a FM DX Necktie
]
Uh, I didn't hear anything about it being portable..... :despair:
They should enter the analog resurgence race with a digital FM engine of X number of operators, which could then make waves that could be processed through true analog re-issues of the CS-80 filters....give it more EG's and LFO's than the original CS had... Give it lots of sliders and knobs. Give it a ribbon controller and a semi-weighted keyboard with poly aftertouch...oh, and sell it for less than a Music Ea$el..

Arghhhhhhhhhhh :drunkhomer:

StereoNode
Common Wiggler

Post by StereoNode » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:38 pm

dopefiend wrote:
flabby wrote:

]
They should enter the analog resurgence race with a digital FM engine of X number of operators, which could then make waves that could be processed through true analog re-issues of the CS-80 filters....give it more EG's and LFO's than the original CS had... Give it lots of sliders and knobs. Give it a ribbon controller and a semi-weighted keyboard with poly aftertouch...oh, and sell it for less than a Music Ea$el..

"Get ready to create your sound any place, any time."... Honestly, I want to create "My Sound" in my studio... with a big ass synth! The fact that is portable already bums me out, I just want a CS80, and I know the second I buy one, THATS when Yamaha will release the reissue. fml :russian:

StereoNode
Common Wiggler

Post by StereoNode » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:04 pm

So after doing some internet recon, I can definitely say that it is 4 different synths (Red,Black,White,Brown), modeled after some of there older synths (CS80,DX7 ect).. they look pretty small, the red one is blurry in the picture, but you can clearly see the old CS switches on it. Richard Devine said some pretty wild things about it, don't know much else :guinness:

dopefiend
Likes SHOUTING!

Post by dopefiend » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:17 pm

StereoNode wrote:
dopefiend wrote:
flabby wrote:

]

"Get ready to create your sound any place, any time."... Honestly, I want to create "My Sound" in my studio... with a big ass synth! The fact that is portable already bums me out, I just want a CS80, and I know the second I buy one, THATS when Yamaha will release the reissue. fml :russian:
As much as I love my CS80, the damn thing is WAY too big and heavy. If I lived in a bigger house and had a more tolerant wife, then it would not be a problem... I ended up selling it to a really nice dude in NH, to make room for a Korg PS-3200, which has now turned into a lovely Rhodes Chroma w/Enabler, and that already exceeds the quota of massive instruments for an 1,800-cubic ft. pigeon hole (I've been pushing my luck with the Roland V-Piano, the Kronos, the Voyager OS and all the modular shit!)...I would love to buy it back, but my wife would divorce me... :cry: That's why I would not mind a smaller iteration of it.. :hyper:

basicbasic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by basicbasic » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:51 am

My guess: A bunch of (decent) emulations of analog and FM classics with various hardware/interface plug-out options that are all running the same modular backend (ala Nord Modular) which can be re-configured every which way (but loose). There will be a CS-XX 'preset', a DX 'preset', a drum machine 'preset', a sampler 'preset' etc (all with optional hardware controllers - collect the set!) but you can rewire all this via software (a little like the Roland Aira effect modules).

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:27 am

Please be a reasonably small format knobby FM synth.

Return to “General Gear”