MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Yamaha Reface
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next [all]
Author Yamaha Reface
werock
Jason Brock wrote:
Anyone with a CP might want to try this trick that supposedly gets you a normal piano sound out of it (instead of the toy piano). Try turning it off, position the "Type" knob in between any of the actual settings, then turn it on again.

From page 3 of this thread over at GS.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electroni c-music-production/1149967-yamaha-reface-cp-hidden-acoustic-piano-soun d-3.html

That sounds like quite a decent piano sound - interesting 'bug'!
mckenic
Ah yes - I understand!

I once got a Werkstatt from Massdrop with the same type adapter - universal just pop on the 'head' you want... except is not universal if only the USA head was included! I contacted them asking and said they must have an office somewhere with all the unused heads could I please have a UK one. No go!

It is actually a fairly annoying situation - my MiniNova has the same footprint head-adapter so I can use the Werkstatt, just not the same time as the MiniNova!

realeoin wrote:
mckenic wrote:
(They *sometimes* included these in the pack for me - sometimes I had to buy them but...)

Ask Thomann to send you one of these - Sorry - wrong link
Ack thats the wrong one again - gimme a moment...

Finally - https://www.thomann.de/ie/thomann_adaptor_euro_psu_uk.htm?ref=search_r slt_thomann+euro+uk+adapter_350932_6

Hi thanks

Yes they sent me two of those but the are cheap and cumbersome

What should have been included is something similar to this (see pic)

Yamaha says it exists but won't replace the adapters I have

Unless I spend €60 extra euro

And Thomann deny it exists

Iridite
Unfortunately they tend to be different for each plug type - Moog, Waldorf and Arturia all use them too but each one is different for each brand of PSU unfortunately!

Send me an email on jason@signalsounds.com, I'll see if there's something I can do for you

cheers

Jason
realeoin
Iridite wrote:
Unfortunately they tend to be different for each plug type - Moog, Waldorf and Arturia all use them too but each one is different for each brand of PSU unfortunately!

Send me an email on jason@signalsounds.com, I'll see if there's something I can do for you

cheers

Jason

Wow! Thanks

I'll email you when I get to work later this morning

Had a nasty exchange with Thomann over the phone yesterday

Their best advice is still "give us €60 for new adapters or send the whole lot back for a refund"

Wouldn't even agree to meet me half way on the cost

I was really tempted to just return the lot. Let the deal with it

I really can't believe it. It would be such a simple fix for them. And I would leave the whole experience a satisfied customer.
h4ndcrafted
mckenic wrote:
Ah yes - I understand!

I once got a Werkstatt from Massdrop with the same type adapter - universal just pop on the 'head' you want... except is not universal if only the USA head was included! I contacted them asking and said they must have an office somewhere with all the unused heads could I please have a UK one. No go!

It is actually a fairly annoying situation - my MiniNova has the same footprint head-adapter so I can use the Werkstatt, just not the same time as the MiniNova!

realeoin wrote:
mckenic wrote:
(They *sometimes* included these in the pack for me - sometimes I had to buy them but...)

Ask Thomann to send you one of these - Sorry - wrong link
Ack thats the wrong one again - gimme a moment...

Finally - https://www.thomann.de/ie/thomann_adaptor_euro_psu_uk.htm?ref=search_r slt_thomann+euro+uk+adapter_350932_6

Hi thanks

Yes they sent me two of those but the are cheap and cumbersome

What should have been included is something similar to this (see pic)

Yamaha says it exists but won't replace the adapters I have

Unless I spend €60 extra euro

And Thomann deny it exists

I'm so fed up of Musicstore/DV. , Thomann doing this, in fact I read somewhere , not sure if it's true, that it is a legal requirement for a proper UK plug to be fitted in the UK. Might want to check and go down that route.
realeoin
[/quote]I'm so fed up of Musicstore/DV. , Thomann doing this, in fact I read somewhere , not sure if it's true, that it is a legal requirement for a proper UK plug to be fitted in the UK. Might want to check and go down that route.[/quote]

Technically Thomann are European because they are in Germany. But they do distribute to the UK and Ireland. And they know these are different plug type regions.

The support guy at Thomann told me "they don't ever" give UK plug types but I know they do give UK plugs because they have done so in the past. Several times.

My guess is that Thomann have both UK and Euro "versions" of Yamaha products (or any manufacturer)

When I place an order and there are no UK versions in stock, rather than ask me if a Euro version is okay they just send it anyways and throw in a cheap plug convertor.
h4ndcrafted
Well thats the thing, I think it was an Amazon review, so obviously take it with a pinch of salt, but the guy said he had been an electrician for x amount of years, and if you were selling direct to the UK you were included in this rule.

However I have no idea on the law in this case seriously, i just don't get it
realeoin
Yeah Thomann are huge and obviously they really don't give a shit either way. Nine times out of ten a transaction will go down without a hitch. But when something does go wrong, their customer service is so poor that it's better not to have bothered with Thomann in the first place.

Thanks for the tip though. But they've made their position clear. They'd rather lose a long time customer over something trivial rather than do the easy thing, help me out and win my loyalty and future spending. Absolutely bizarre.
IR
realeoin wrote:
My guess is that Thomann have both UK and Euro "versions" of Yamaha products (or any manufacturer)

When I place an order and there are no UK versions in stock, rather than ask me if a Euro version is okay they just send it anyways and throw in a cheap plug convertor.

I don't see what the big deal is, I've ordered gear from the UK without even getting an EU plug adapter and I got a standard UK adapter, although I didn't specifically ask for either a Euro adapter or a plug adapter, and it was obvious I was not in the UK from my address.

If you don't specifically ask Thomann I don't see why they would give it to you, and they probably run out of them fast as the U.K. is a big market. It's pretty cool they at least give you the plug.

If you were ordering from the US, chances are very slim they would have anything other than US adapters, and no plug adapters. They might have one or two adapters that were accidentally shipped, and probably not for the piece of gear you wanted.
mckenic
Well US companies don't specifically say they service all of Europe. Ireland/UK have the same type of plug and I think we are the only ones using that variation of 3 pin.

Its also illegal to sell electrical goods without a molded plug for the specific country you are selling to.

Add to that, put 3 or more of these (KB, Amp, fx unit) with 2 prong to 3 prong adapters on a power strip and it becomes excessively bulky, unstable and the connections are not in the slightest snug. Ive had power flicking on/off with my Sherman FB2 and Werkstatt using 'shaver' adapters - one slight bump and everything powers off. Not ideal.
Catmandeux
Is this indicative of a post Brexit future: no UK adaptors supplied with purchases from the EU?
MindMachine
Catmandeux wrote:
Is this indicative of a post Brexit future: no UK adaptors supplied with purchases from the EU?

Wow. If the EU was that organized and synchronized and vindictive we would all be Tinfoil Hat

When I order from the USA through Thomann I just make sure they know I am expecting USA power and they let me know what each unit will be supplied with for power. No issues so far.
h4ndcrafted
Catmandeux wrote:

This has been going on for ever seems, least the past 7 years or so. I think with people paying more tax on euro products in the future people will get more pissed about this sort of thing, if anything, and the UK night get stricter on the rules.

I concur Thomann are generally ok, but every now and then , they can be stubborn for some reason. I don't even price check with them anymore as I know they will rarely budge, compared to somebody like Juno that are very flexible. I guess Thomann are in a position where they can call the shots ?

I haven't bought from them for ages though, the conversion for U.K. Is always quite off , I don't find them very competitive for here in the U.K. , which never used to be the case.
realeoin
IR wrote:
realeoin wrote:

I don't see what the big deal is, I've ordered gear from the UK without even getting an EU plug adapter and I got a standard UK adapter, although I didn't specifically ask for either a Euro adapter or a plug adapter, and it was obvious I was not in the UK from my address.

If you don't specifically ask Thomann I don't see why they would give it to you, and they probably run out of them fast as the U.K. is a big market. It's pretty cool they at least give you the plug.

If you were ordering from the US, chances are very slim they would have anything other than US adapters, and no plug adapters. They might have one or two adapters that were accidentally shipped, and probably not for the piece of gear you wanted.

It is a big deal. They are selling merchandise to a region without the correct power supply.

Sorry didn't mention it earlier but I did very specifically ask Thomann. When I placed the order I added a note in the "extra comments" section. In it I stated that I wanted the UK version with UK plugs. I also very specifically stated that I did not want EU plugs with cheap plug adapters thrown in for free. This is something I knew they'd try. They've done it to me before.

As far as the US is concerned, I wouldn't be ordering large pieces of gear from there in the first place. I've been stung several times with duty and excise charges. But I wouldn't expect a place as large as the US to accommodate for sales outside their own borders.

Thomann is in the EU. So is Ireland (and Britain too for a short while still). If you plan on selling products to other countries within the EU then you should be properly prepared to do so.

When I log in to Thomann, I log in at an Irish URL (.ie) and similarly if you live in the UK, you log in to a UK URL

So it's not even the fact that they would have to know what power region I was located in by looking at my address, they already know based on how I log in.

They just don't care
zolar_czakl
The Reface DX is now selling for $299 at Sweetwater. I just paid for one brand new from another shop for $287 and I couldn't be happier! I'm just hobbyist who digs synthesis and sound design, and I only want to work with hardware. This gets me into the world of FM synthesis, in hardware, at a low cost
nanners w00t
Rooftree
zolar_czakl wrote:
The Reface DX is now selling for $299 at Sweetwater. I just paid for one brand new from another shop for $287 and I couldn't be happier! I'm just hobbyist who digs synthesis and sound design, and I only want to work with hardware. This gets me into the world of FM synthesis, in hardware, at a low cost
nanners w00t

I love my Reface DX. I picked it up a few months ago for $330 or $300, can't remember which. For me, it was a no brainer at that price. Worth every penny.
DiscoDevil
I now must own the YC as well. *sigh*
drxcm
realeoin wrote:
IR wrote:
realeoin wrote:

It is a big deal

They just don't care

Yup. Their customer service sucks hard when things go wrong. I've been mucked around by them on my last two orders and will never use them again as a result.

However they have offered you a refund so why not just send it back and order one locally?

I got my Reface CP from them over a year ago with the wrong plug too. I just use an adapter. Wish I could find the correct part for it though. If anyone has an AU plug they wanna swap let me know!
numan7
MY ASS IS BLEEDING i just have to say that the reface cp and yc are some of the most soulful sounding instruments ever made, in my opinion. they have rekindled my perverse love for the yamaha corporation's musical instrument division, in some ways at least... the wurlitzer and cp models, in particular, just shine with yamaha perfectionism (as does every single setting on the yc) - so beautiful and amazing! we're not worthy

Play Him Off, Keyboard Cat. and i have adapted to the mini-keys... i adjust my piano-playing technique towards what i remember from playing woodwind instruments (years and years ago - but still mostly intact) - so that you can glissando like mad and play demi-semi
-quaver two-octave arrpeggios without needing to shift your wrists very much. pure chromatic runs can be a bit challenging to get right, compared to full-size keys, but can be accomodated for with a bit of extra finger loft upon key releases i find.

cheers
drxcm
Completely agree with the above post. The CP is such a wonderful instrument to play- very intuitive and everything is a sweet spot.

I just picked up a Mellotron M4000D mini and having similar vibes.

Wish there was a guitar pedal or effects box just like the Reface CP effects section - ahame there isn’t an external input as it’s voicing is just perfect for my needs
bmot
sophiajoseph wrote:
Hello

I am professional assignment writer in Cheap Assignment Help in Australia

And what sort of assignments do you specialize in - illiterate studies perhaps?

Regarding the Reface, I tried out all 4 when they were released, I loved them all but didn’t buy any. Sounds almost as dumb as sophiajoseph‘s „advert“ above, but it was the price that stopped me, because I was most interested in the YC. I hunted around a bit and bought a mint YC45D (the „Cadillac“ of organs, so they say) for quite a lot cheaper than a Reface. But guess where that’s sitting now? It’s been ordered to the attic, it’s too goddamn big and heavy! Now I see the sense in these tiny keys, restarting this thread is making me think about them again. However I’d be more interested in the DX or CS these days, and the price has come right down so that reason has evaporated. Once again, I’m tempted!
sutekina bipu-on
sophiajoseph Report the bots!!!!! angry

I tried all the refaces when they came out and am actually kind of surprised i still dont have one, i should get the CP or YC.

They had a minilogue right next to the refaces and always had it in my mind i wanted the refaces more though they did less.

I think now that it's back in my mind, i really should pick up a YC instead of fawning over ancient Roland organs when they show up on reverb or ebay.

edit: oh yeah, theyre a little $$$, not the end of the world but theyd sell more if they were less than a boutique i guess?
sackley
I've finally started buckling down and learning some keys (just simple classical songs for now). Using a CP midi'd by a Keystation 61 run through a cheap guitar practice amp (like a poor mans EP zombie ). Gets the job done, and it's nice not having to think about much maintenance. Sounds good to me, and is inspiring enough to continue plugging along.
Scories
drxcm wrote:
Completely agree with the above post. The CP is such a wonderful instrument to play- very intuitive and everything is a sweet spot.

Wish there was a guitar pedal or effects box just like the Reface CP effects section - ahame there isn’t an external input as it’s voicing is just perfect for my needs

This post makes me realize how nice it would be if Yamaha could implement an update on the CP, with an hidden Mellotron soundbank : strings, flute, choir, vibraphone...
rauch
Scories wrote:
drxcm wrote:

This post makes me realize how nice it would be if Yamaha could implement an update on the CP, with an hidden Mellotron soundbank : strings, flute, choir, vibraphone...

a reface mt would be awesome but it would take a LOT of ram to provide all the great instruments made for the mellotron. an sd card slot to load samples would be nice.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next [all]
Page 18 of 20