MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Yamaha Reface
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 [all]
Author Yamaha Reface
steffengrondahl
starthief wrote:
Has anyone else found the Reface CS (or others possibly) has a pretty high noise floor? And does that improve by powering it with batteries rather than an AC adapter?

I had a CS a few years ago (or was it last year hmmm..... ). AFAIR it wasn't particular noisy, however I turned the speakers off, so this might have helped. Didn't use batteries and doubt it will improve noise.
Jason Brock
starthief wrote:
Has anyone else found the Reface CS (or others possibly) has a pretty high noise floor?

Do you have the USB connector plugged in to something? If so, try unplugging it from the CS and see if the noise goes away. If that is the cause, you can buy a USB isolator like this to connect to the computer end of things. Works for me on all my USB synths.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XXPO4UG/
starthief
steffengrondahl wrote:
AFAIR it wasn't particular noisy, however I turned the speakers off, so this might have helped.

I turned off the built-in speaker first thing, along with some other settings.

Jason Brock wrote:
Do you have the USB connector plugged in to something?

Yeah, I'm using it for MIDI. That's a good possibility, I'll look into that. thumbs up
starthief
Unplugging USB makes a massive difference in noise level. Thanks for the tip thumbs up
MindMachine
gruebleengourd wrote:
12eightyfive wrote:

Re: CS my main hesitation has been the lack of ability to save a preset.

FYI You can save presets on the CS using regular sysex dumps. No need for soundmondo. I use midi ox.

The CS is kinda a neat little digital subtractive for quick fun -- but the DX is far better overall IMO. CC control over FM parameters and feedback for every operator :-)

For the price buy two or three used and there are your presets. hihi It is an insanely versatile unit. What makes me a little impatient is the short throw of the sliders. With slider patience there is a metric tonne of sound. I get a really good analog string emulation and it also can do leads and effects, not just pads and leads. I 70% of the time use it with an effect pedal or two to add more variation.
Blairio
starthief wrote:
Unplugging USB makes a massive difference in noise level. Thanks for the tip thumbs up

USB sucks for midi. I have had so many noise issues with USB-midi, that I gave up on it . If a device needs USB power, I'll connect it to a clean dedicated USB power source.

Otherwise, I just use USB for firmware updates, backups and the like for my 7 digital architecture synths.

Dedicated lean USB power sources are not expensive. Some decent mobile phone chargers will do the trick, but some dedicated mobile phone chargers are horribly noisy.
Blairio
MindMachine wrote:
gruebleengourd wrote:
12eightyfive wrote:

FYI You can save presets on the CS using regular sysex dumps. No need for soundmondo. I use midi ox.

The CS is kinda a neat little digital subtractive for quick fun -- but the DX is far better overall IMO. CC control over FM parameters and feedback for every operator :-)

For the price buy two or three used and there are your presets. hihi It is an insanely versatile unit. What makes me a little impatient is the short throw of the sliders. With slider patience there is a metric tonne of sound. I get a really good analog string emulation and it also can do leads and effects, not just pads and leads. I 70% of the time use it with an effect pedal or two to add more variation.

If you have a controller keyboard with full length faders, could you map the reface CS's fader driven parameters onto those?
MindMachine
Blairio wrote:
MindMachine wrote:
gruebleengourd wrote:
12eightyfive wrote:

If you have a controller keyboard with full length faders, could you map the reface CS's fader driven parameters onto those?

Excellent solution, but no only CV keys at this time. I'll try more patience. I have three Refaces and love them to death.

ps - recommend these stationery racks for them. Fits one Reface and two pedals with space underneath for more gizmos:

https://www.target.com/p/rolodex-153-wire-mesh-off-surface-shelf-26-x- 7-x-7-black/-/A-16903545?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsr c=tgtao&CPNG=PLA_Storage%2BOrganization%2BShopping&adgroup=SC_Storage% 2BOrganization&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9031 632&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1247068&ds_rl=1246978&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI26i05a GQ4wIVif5kCh0nSAhWEAQYASABEgJgufD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
francoprussian
Has anyone who owns a Reface DX had an occasion where they turned it on as usual and then the screen says factory reset and you lose all your patches and system settings? Cos that's what happened to me tonight.

Maybe not so keen on this thing now if it keeps losing its mind randomly...
Blairio
francoprussian wrote:
Has anyone who owns a Reface DX had an occasion where they turned it on as usual and then the screen says factory reset and you lose all your patches and system settings? Cos that's what happened to me tonight.

Maybe not so keen on this thing now if it keeps losing its mind randomly...

I have had my Reface DX for 6 months now, and it has behaved perfectly,

I have even upgraded to the latest firmware (v1.30) without problems.

This sounds like an issue with your unit. Yamaha are usually pretty good at supporting their customers, so I am sure you'll get it sorted,
Sounds From The Shed
I think I'd like to try one of these out, I played about with ine a Synthfest last year but only for a short time, but for the price it might be worth giving one a go.
thevegasnerve
Really enjoying my Reface DX. Sounds great and the looper is really cool. Most amazing part is that the mini-keys are not bothering me as I am using it for basses and leads mostly. The keys do have a nice feel to them.
Blairio
thevegasnerve wrote:
Really enjoying my Reface DX. Sounds great and the looper is really cool. Most amazing part is that the mini-keys are not bothering me as I am using it for basses and leads mostly. The keys do have a nice feel to them.

Likewise. It is a quality piece of kit and a bargain for what they are going for at the moment. If Yamaha ever decided to put out a new DX7 based on a 6 operator version of this with a full size keyboard and an enhanced user interface (a few more dedicated controls), I would be so tempted.
sleepmute
Also loving my DX here. The only thing I wish it could do was assign the LFO or an envelope to the feedback. As it is, I have to change it by hand, which can be finicky.

If I could figure out a way to connect my NanoKontrol to the DX, that might solve my problem, but the NanoKontrol only has USB out.
francoprussian
sleepmute wrote:
If I could figure out a way to connect my NanoKontrol to the DX, that might solve my problem, but the NanoKontrol only has USB out.

http://kentonuk.com/product/midi-usb-host-mkii/

https://www.thomann.de/gb/miditech_usb_midi_host.htm

Plenty of people making little boxes to do just that. Surprising MIDI Solutions aren't in on the game yet.

Can also be done with an Arduino and a couple of shields or totally DIY if you're into that lark.
sleepmute
I’ve seen those before, but I wasn’t sure how you actually assign your controller to do specific things. I wanna be able to use the NanoKontrol primarily for feedback. I’ll look into it!
francoprussian
The reface DX has CC numbers for the parameters. Set the nanokontrol to output those CCs on its dials and sliders via the software editor. Plug it in, and off you go.
Man-In-A-Suitcase
j bowman wrote:
The reverb and distortion are excellent, the rotary is good but could be better (more customisable for a start), but the vibrato/chorus seems a bit of an afterthought - there's barely any difference between the two settings, which is a wasted opportunity. Despite that, if this one breaks I'll buy another in a heartbeat, it sounds beautiful, looks beautiful, feels beautiful.

I would have loved a repeater function that the old Farfisa Compact Duo's or VIP's had as a feature on the YC. Combining the Tremelo and the Repeater can make for some great organ effects. I do believe the YC45D had a similar effect.
j bowman
Man-In-A-Suitcase wrote:
j bowman wrote:
The reverb and distortion are excellent, the rotary is good but could be better (more customisable for a start), but the vibrato/chorus seems a bit of an afterthought - there's barely any difference between the two settings, which is a wasted opportunity. Despite that, if this one breaks I'll buy another in a heartbeat, it sounds beautiful, looks beautiful, feels beautiful.

I would have loved a repeater function that the old Farfisa Compact Duo's or VIP's had as a feature on the YC. Combining the Tremelo and the Repeater can make for some great organ effects. I do believe the YC45D had a similar effect.

That would be awesome as well! I think a mk 2 of the Reface YC could be really great - I love this thing as it is, but a few tweaks would put it in another league.

Mind you, I'd love Yamaha to bring out an updated YC - shame the combo organs haven't really benefited from the analogue revival...
thevegasnerve
francoprussian wrote:
The reface DX has CC numbers for the parameters. Set the nanokontrol to output those CCs on its dials and sliders via the software editor. Plug it in, and off you go.

I have a nanokontrol sitting around also, thanks for tips on possibly using as an extra controller..
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 [all]
Page 20 of 20