MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

PMB The buchla 208r rev2and 208 Bemi preset manager box
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author PMB The buchla 208r rev2and 208 Bemi preset manager box
boops
UPDATE
27 12 2017
The PMB will work with the 208 bemi too wink

12/2017
The preset manager box PMB. for 208 original and rev2

We work with a friend (electronic guru) since 2 years, on a custom presets manager for first the buchla 208r rev2 ,(Yamaha cs 50/60/80...etc surely in the future.)
I will make a little batch soon ,pm if interested
No holes on the module or synth

We will hope to finish the first code in 2018 ,we are 6 to work on.

Idéas welcome like force to scale ,Microtuning will be implanted

Patch Manager Box

Patch Manager Box
Concept
Concept
1. Hardware.
• Direct connexion to the 56 pin port of the 208. • Supplied by the 208.
• Reproduces the PCB patch, with :
- 32 x switches (one or several positions),
- 4 x 7 bits potentiometers (P6, P7, P8 and P17),
- a 12 bits DAC for P1 to P5 (value is switched by 5 signals from 208's board 1), but can have more steps, if they are defined in the patch,
- a portamento for P1 to P5 or MIDI,
- and a 72 7 bits potentiometers matrix, for the bottom of the PCB patch. - Host can address 16 SPI cards, so they are potentially 5 free.
• Permanent memory on an included (and removable) USB stick.
HOWEVER, this box is NOT for DIY : there are about 100 surface mount ICs on several cards, really to complex... so an industrial production is needed for cards.
2. Box's Software.
GLOBAL
Based on the Arduino DUE, it's full open source.
Include a lib to drive easily hardware - like PmbSw(<N° of the switch>, <Value>).
Normally 1.2 volt/octave, it's easy to get 1, 2 or any voltage/octave (however, not less than 1 v/o to keep accuracy within ±2 cents).
Include MIDI lib (from Arduino).
May include LCD lib, and so...
EXAMPLES
We'd like to get an Arduino community around PMB development : for example grow some functions from MIDI message to PMB lib, like :
pressed)
- keyboard tapping (returns to maintained key when the second is released, and go to the next
- portamento driving by legato / not legato (if legato, then portamento is on, else it's off) - build some more embedded scales in the Arduino software
- add virtual steps in the sequence
- use MIDI pitch bend (without the limit of ± octave like digital synthesizers). So, why not +- 5 octaves or more ? it's just a variable in the Arduino software : we think of 2 variables : 1 for bend up, the other for bend down (so one can play the Moog chorus from "I want to get free", by Qeen).
- try to multiplex 2 different keys (frequencies), sounding a bit like phone DTMF, or saturated polyphonic (like early video games)...
CONCLUSION
- The limit is our feeling and imagination !!!
- The community way offers ideas diffusion and sharing.
Patch-Manager-Box_Concept 1 / 2 PÉLARDY 20. Aug. 2015 REV 30. Aug. 2015
3. Interfacing.
Essentially by MIDI (real time or sound change) : - Master keyboard
- Computer or touch pad :
- VST informatics editor
- free software like ---------------
- dedicated hardware modules assembly like ---------------
From front (removable) panel, with a few buttons and an alpha dial.
razzmtazz266
Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana

WOW!

BEMI EAT YOUR HEART OUT!
astroschnautzer
Looks very cool! What kind of pricerange do you think it will be? Noise would be nice to have on the 208, maybe the env loop mod could be implemented in this (?) or other mods, some additional cv generators...just some ideas, no idea if they are possible...
construct09
But not rev1?
papz
No one knows in details how the 208r rev1 program card is supposed to work, or if it actually works.

I'm really curious to know how you do plan to manage presets on the Synthi, Boops. Its prestopatch works in a different, less flexible way than the 208's, and several critical parameters are not accessible via the matrix, thus not via the prestopatch either.
boops
papz wrote:
No one knows in details how the 208r rev1 program card is supposed to work, or if it actually works.

I'm really curious to know how you do plan to manage presets on the Synthi, Boops. Its prestopatch works in a different, less flexible way than the 208's, and several critical parameters are not accessible via the matrix, thus not via the prestopatch either.

To be Honest, focused on the 208r's
My synthi is not finished yet ...

Rev 1 should not be a problem ,you càn see on the schematic that all the logic is already mounted
papz
Ah ok so you don't mean controlling an original Synthi but a prospective clone with extra circuitry to work with your preset manager ?

The 208r rev1's program board control switch is not used and several parameters (I can't tell which ones from memory) are not connected to the slot (there are 12 unused contacts).
I'm afraid retro-engineering Roman's former project from the very few info available might be a hassle, with the risk of finally notice that it can't work properly.
sascha.victoria
Hopefully this means you can automate the parameters via USB. Something sorely missing from the BEMI USB card.
boops
Finally,the First prototype should works with midi CC
All paramèters midi contrôled
Atm No touch screen,550 eu just for it seems too expensive????

There will be a VST or AU plug in ,and stand alone editor for studio computer users or a hardware surface with preset mémories and all the extra accès to 208
Example :in the plug in you càn contrôl each of the 3 env ADD parameters by one source ...of the 208
anto32
Fantastic!
boops
Atm we work on a portamento on off on each step driven by the second DAC of the arduino DUE,and the 5 steps note on the fly with a keyboard

Dont hésitate to give some ideas. cool
captnapalm
boops wrote:

Dont hésitate to give some ideas. cool

I talked to Yasi a few years ago about a patch storage system for the vintage Easel. He said at the time that he thought it would be possible to "read" the current levels with the mu at the 208's outputs. That way you'd be able to make a patch with the front panel as usual, then push one button and save that patch for use later. That sounded amazingly useful to me.
razzmtazz266
This is really amazing.

If this is able to work with V1 208r, of which there seem to be so many, then I think BEMI may only really have the 218 to offer.
boops
razzmtazz266 wrote:
This is really amazing.

If this is able to work with V1 208r, of which there seem to be so many, then I think BEMI may only really have the 218 to offer.

The First pcb is ready to production smd....No Diy ,the pcb will be too wide
You càn see analog switch 4016 and I/O expander PCF 8575
Now the matrix board with all the originals sources and destinations +new ones smile,numeric pots.

Vast_Halo
papz wrote:
several parameters (I can't tell which ones from memory) are not connected to the slot (there are 12 unused contacts).

For the rev. 1 design, what would Roman's logic have been in not wiring up certain parameters to the slot? Does anyone have a list of what's missing? This project by Boops is really appealing, but it'd be a bummer not to be able to use it to address something key, like the Timbre section.
solaris
Vast_Halo wrote:

For the rev. 1 design, what would Roman's logic have been in not wiring up certain parameters to the slot?

he did mention that it rendered the whole module quite unstable, but I don't
know what parameters would cause this, and don't know either which parameters are now accessible via the slot.

edit:typo
boops
We work on a 208r rev2
Vast_Halo
Hi Boops - just so we're clear on this, do you have any firm plans to add support for the rev.1 208r to your preset manager?
boops
Numeric pot board

Preorder soon...
phutureboy
boops wrote:

Could you tell us the full list of controls available via this interface ?
boops
phutureboy wrote:
boops wrote:

Could you tell us the full list of controls available via this interface ?

Soon...
All the original preset card parameters midi contrôled +others like each ADD ENV parameters controled by one of the sources available
phutureboy
OK, looking forward...
boops
On the soft :more steps on the SEQ,with virtual pots and force to scale (Many ready to use scales western ,eastern in internal ROM) option ,éditabled as users ones too and saved by USB

Portamento assignable (buchla 218 design ),on each step ,yes or No ala TB303

Work in progress
boops
Few infos
This preset manager works with original 208 too wink if you have one...
Once ready with the hardware control (our first priority for live sessions no computer needed),with few buttons,lcl,dial, it will be easy to create editor with lemur by example ,and the vst,au Plugin too or an harware contrôler with midibox ,ucapps .

You have to understand ,
sound change as preset change.
pcb patch as original preset card
P1 to P5 .sliders of the SEQ
sascha.victoria
Amazing! Really excited for this.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4