MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

EMW modules?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author EMW modules?
BTS
Hey, I was surfing through Perfect Circuit and noticed the new EMW modules. They've got that nice old school Moog look and are very affordable.

Has anyone used these? Are they a good value?
A Terre
I haven't used any because, up until now, you could only get them in the US by ordering direct. I looked into them a while ago because they're so cheap and I love the black panel. I found a few threads where people raved about them. It's pretty awesome that Perfect Circuit stocks them now. I'm thinking my next purchase will be that noise module.
Matos
Welcome! It's always good to acquaint yourself with the search functions. They spent a lot of time making it awesome.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/search.php?search_keywords=Emw+&sear ch_terms=extended&search_author=&search_forum=16&search_time=0&search_ fields=all&sort_by=0&sort_dir=desc&show_results=topics&return_chars=20 0
BTS
Matos wrote:
Welcome! It's always good to acquaint yourself with the search functions. They spent a lot of time making it awesome.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/search.php?search_keywords=Emw+&sear ch_terms=extended&search_author=&search_forum=16&search_time=0&search_ fields=all&sort_by=0&sort_dir=desc&show_results=topics&return_chars=20 0

Huh? I tried looking for an EMW thread when I posted, but nothing came up. Sorry about that.
Matos
No worries! The search is rather hidden and often overlooked. I just know there's been some good information about these modules and overall a good response despite the lack of cv on some of these.
Daisuk
Had the triple ar envelope, which just wasn't very good. Both attack and decay was way too short, and you just could not get the attack snappy at all.

That's not to say they're modules are bad, of course, but would not recommend the triple ar. smile
turin horsey
been curious about etw as they have how so many modules but few mentions hear on muffs, i remember reading that they are a Brazilian manufacturer so maybe the sell primarily to domestic users?
digitalganesha
turin horsey wrote:
been curious about etw as they have how so many modules but few mentions hear on muffs, i remember reading that they are a Brazilian manufacturer so maybe the sell primarily to domestic users?

They were just seriously difficult to obtain. As stated earlier, they had to be ordered direct and for a time - even that was difficult. Kinda like obtaining Aion modules. twisted

I am very glad to hear that they are now being carried by a solid distributor. I am off to check it out!
Dcramer
I looked at Perfect Circuit but I can't see how to order them in silver face hmmm.....
MindMachine
This is very good news indeed that you can obtain these outside of EMW in Brazil. I have 7 modules and now I can add more a lot easier.

A Terre - I hope you get that Noise Station. That thing looks insane. Hopefully they get one in stock. I can swing buy and try it.

I am stoked EMW is now in Burbank. Thanks for the heads-up.
MM
MindMachine
A Terre wrote:
I haven't used any because, up until now, you could only get them in the US by ordering direct. I looked into them a while ago because they're so cheap and I love the black panel. I found a few threads where people raved about them. It's pretty awesome that Perfect Circuit stocks them now. I'm thinking my next purchase will be that noise module.

BTW - Perfect Circuit now has the Noise Station in stock. Also the Snare Lab that I have been eyeballing. I might hit them up on the way home next week and give them a test drive.

Sun
metaphysical
I decided to be a scientist and bought one of their 3 channel mixers from perfect circuits to see how the build quality is as I'm interested in picking up some of their other modules. In all honesty I am surprised with how good the general appearance/feel is considering I only paid $58. The pots aren't too wobbly, the jacks seem decent..
I've searched this forum like a mad man trying to find any input on their VCO 104 with no luck. I suppose it's just too new? Or if there is a thread, can someone harshly (yet kindly) direct me there?

BTW, I'm new here! I've been lurking like a creepy exgirlfriend for a while though hihi
icaroferre
metaphysical wrote:
I've searched this forum like a mad man trying to find any input on their VCO 104 with no luck. I suppose it's just too new? Or if there is a thread, can someone harshly (yet kindly) direct me there?

I have the VCO-104 and a couple of their modules here.
The VCO-104 is a preeetty good VCO. It's not mind-blowing but it's worth the money in my opinion.
The sine wave is pretty clean and the tracking is also good (not as precise as a Z3000 but good enough).
The thing I don't like about it is that the Tune knob has a limited range and the module doesn't have a fine tune knob so tuning it can be a bit frustrating (while the Tune range is limited, it's not super easy to do minor adjustments). If you plan on using it with something like CV Toolkit or Silent Way than this shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Not sure what else to say about it hmmm.....
Anything in particular you'd like to know about? I can record some audio demos if you'd like.
metaphysical
Thanks for the feedback icaro. About how limited is the range of it? It does seem a bit lacking to have neither fine tune nor an octave switch but I can live without it.
What other modules of theirs do you have?
savethisrocketship
Great, I have been wondering this myself for a while... assumed if no one was talking about them they might be duds. Glad to hear that is not the case!
icaroferre
metaphysical wrote:
Thanks for the feedback icaro. About how limited is the range of it? It does seem a bit lacking to have neither fine tune nor an octave switch but I can live without it.
What other modules of theirs do you have?

The lack of a fine tune can be a pain when you're trying to manually tune it. Sometime I stick a DC offset into the FM input and turn the Freq. Mod a lil bit up so I can make it work kinda like a fine tune.
The range is pretty good. It goes very high (beyond my hearing threshold) but it can't really go down to LFO range.

I wish I could give some feedback in terms of tracking in those higher ranges however I have an issue with EMW case that causes the Phasor 4's LFO to detune my VCO seriously, i just don't get it

Check out my current setup. I currently have 9 of their modules but I've tested most of them except their newest drum-related ones.(I've been to their factory ).
My favorite EMWs modules probably are: VCF Diode, Phasor 4, and Phasor 12 (that one is reeeally nice).

Here's the thing about EMW imho: built quality is pretty good (for the price), they're easy to repair (no smds), and according to Paulo (EMW owner) their modules are designed to be use in more regular musical contexts.
I wouldn't try to use them in more experimental contexts (cross modulation, audio rate modulation, etc) because they were not designed for that. Not sure I'd even try to FM one of their filters...
Just keep that in mind hihi
Ashe
I've looked at EMW, they seem like a great company. I'm surprised they're not more popular, considering their modules prices
metaphysical
Thanks for the insight icaroferre. One last question if I may. I looked at your current setup and noticed you have the boozy filter, another module with little to none muff documentation. Does boozy sound good, or should I fear said boozy?
icaroferre
metaphysical wrote:
Thanks for the insight icaroferre. One last question if I may. I looked at your current setup and noticed you have the boozy filter, another module with little to none muff documentation. Does boozy sound good, or should I fear said boozy?

Haha well. Here's the thing about my unit in particular. I plugged it in the wrong way (Yeah I know d'oh!) and blew one of the capacitors so I had to replace it. I'm not sure if this affected the sound of the unit in some way.

As the the boozyness, I can't really tell lol
It sounds very musical for some applications but the 3 parameters (Cutoff, Res and Mod Level) can interact in very weird ways so sometimes it's hard to predict what you'll get in terms of final gain, bass reduction, lowest cutoff freq, cutoff peak frequency, etc.

Check out this demo I made using the EMW VCO 104 and the Boozy VCF.
Listen to way the response changes as I increase / decrease the resonance.

One last detail about the Boozy VCF: for some reason it sounds like the module had an internal Dry/Wet control that was set to 90% or something. Even if you close the filter all the way down, you can still hear some higher harmonics leaking through the filter.
MindMachine
I have the Boozy VCF too. It is not the juiciest, warmest, most acidic or whatever, but it is... Boozy? It is pretty unique but nothing that reaches out and grabs you. I think it is best used parallel with another VCF. Using a mixer with various controls into the CV input does give it a lot more life than just one CV source full on into the CV jack. For the space and money it is a keeper. Mine does not leak any noticeable sound at all.

I am stoked that these are now sold through Perfect Circuit, who is close to me.

Also - I am super stoked that EMW keeps announcing more killer modules like the new Pot Action Recorder, T Drum, Arcade Noise, etc. The T Drum looks interesting and the Arcade Noise sounds great. I am going to demo the Snare Lab and Noise Station next week at Perfect Circuit.

Also I will say again that the Multi Bandpass VCF is the best value processor I have used/owned (after the Happy Nerding FM Aid). They have a lot of basic modules and a lot of odd ones too. They are great value and Paulo is a real nice dude. I should be up to about 12 modules here soon. Mr. Green

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLQq-NYfwM4

MindMachine
Dcramer wrote:
I looked at Perfect Circuit but I can't see how to order them in silver face hmmm.....

I asked Paulo about this and he said just email them and ask for the 'aluminum faces'. They are not stocking them but he will build them and ship them to Perfect Circuit. So it will add 2-3 weeks to your order.

I am going to order 2-3 of the silver/aluminum modules soon. I hope to pick up a black module or two next week at PC too.

That Arcade Noise video blew my mind. I'm not usually into glitchy sounds but this covers a lot of area. And the price is righteous.

edited for bad English.
icaroferre
MindMachine wrote:
Mine does not leak any noticeable sound at all.

I admit that there's a high possibility that mine leaks because of the mistake I did. hihi

I totally agree with MindMachine's definition:

Quote:
It is pretty unique but nothing that reaches out and grabs you.
nahtaivel
New EMW module, MULTIWAVE DIGITAL OSCILLATOR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwh9LDGNlQA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0UkcacvDJ0&feature=youtu.be

http://www.electronicmusicworks.com/eurorack/multi-wave-oscillator.htm l
shreeswifty
I'm getting one of those 6 channel mixers for 78$ i am excited to try it out.
bob the r0bot
All this stuff looks so sick and is so reasonably priced. Does anyone have the frequency range of the of VCOs? None of the samples I've found have had them reach down into the lfo range.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3