MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

XODULAR - Virtual Modular in Pure Data
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author XODULAR - Virtual Modular in Pure Data
gloomnox
Hi Everybody!

I have created a virtual modular synth environment in Pure Data called XODULAR. I thought some of you might be interested in trying it out. You can download the system at my website:

http://www.monologx.com/xodular/

About XODULAR:

The XODULAR is a virtual modular synthesizer environment in Pure Data-Extended. (To run it you need an installed copy of Pure Data-Extended.) The XODULAR consists of twenty modules that the user can copy/paste in any combination to create an own modular system. If familiar with Pure Data, users can expand on modules or build their own additions. However, there is no need to be familiar to use the XODULAR. Acquiring some basic understanding of the user interface and signal flow should be enough to get patching. (See page 3 in the XODULAR manual or the Pure Data Floss Manuals )

This system came about over the course of a year. It is very much flavoured by my creative decisions and patching- style. It has a lot of foundational modular building blocks because I like patching complexity from simple tools. I really hope some other people can get some enjoyment out of this system and I do feel it is open ended enough to light up people's creativity.

Thanks! / Johan
adam
i've tried this Johan - i think it's great, i like the complex oscillator
gloomnox
Cheers Adam! :-)
shreeswifty
This system is really awesome and makes awesome sounds, such a great use of Pd
midiguru
Amazing work -- many thanks! I've been kind of wondering whether to get back into Pd, and this will give me an incentive. I was never anything like a power user, though I wrote an article or two about Pd for Electronic Musician, gee, it must be close to ten years ago now.

What's remarkable about xodular, quite aside from the excellent variety of preconfigured modules, is that the darn thing runs properly, right from the get-go. I double-click on the file, start the DSP, hook up a couple of patch cords, and it just works, no muss or fuss.
gloomnox
Thanks for the appreciation, guys! Yes, midiguru, I'm very happy you say that it works straight out of the box. I always aimed for the experience to be as similar as possible to patching on a hardware modular.
Patricia Party Popper
So super cool, downloaded , thanks a lot for the effort.
lich
this is really great and ive had a lot of fun with it so far! thank you for sharing it for free!!
gloomnox
Thanks guys! Here's a video of me performing a piece with XODULAR and an OP-1.

https://vimeo.com/133079960
asynkron
Hello I have to upload at least to posts to be allowed to post pictures which is necessary for me to explain the problem I'm having with the Xodular. Sorry for the spam!
asynkron
Hello I have to upload at least to posts to be allowed to post pictures which is necessary for me to explain the problem I'm having with the Xodular. Sorry for the spam!
asynkron
Hello. The Xodular seems like a really cool virtual modular system and I really want to try it. The problem is it looks like this when I'm opening it. Any ideas what to do? Your help is much appreciated!
adam
if you haven't used pd before - you need to enter edit mode before you can patch, then when you want to use the gui again, exit edit mode or hold down the ctrl key before you click to use buttons, sliders etc

a little more (ten year old) info here:

https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug06/articles/puredata2_0806.htm
asynkron
The problem seems to be that there are no knobs, sliders ect. to use in my graphical display as you can see on the picture. And they don't appear either in patch or edit mode. adam
adam
strange - i've just downloaded it again and i have all the controls

looks like the one thats missing is the knob - i'm not sure thats a vanilla pd object, have you got pd-extended installed?
midiguru
adam wrote:
strange - i've just downloaded it again and i have all the controls

looks like the one thats missing is the knob - i'm not sure thats a vanilla pd object, have you got pd-extended installed?

Needing pd-extended would be a good guess. Also, just in case the information turns out to be relevant -- what computer OS are you on?
asynkron
I have tried running it with the latest version of pd extended, still looks like this. no knobs to turn. Maybe I have to do something else?
midiguru
Have you asked on the pd users' forum? Someone there is more likely to know the answer, as this sounds like a pd problem, not a Xodular problem.
pentd
i have the (almost) the same thing as asynkron.. no knobs on my "real" pc, no knobs on linux, but on the win7 krapptop it's ok... so it's kinda workaround.. i'm not an expert in PD at all.. and yeah, i have pd-extended..
adam
you can probably replace the knobs with sliders
oootini
would this system work on a bela beaglebone platform?
j_p_higgins
People with no knobs (ha) do you definitely have the flatgui external installed? Go to the PD help browser and see if its in there. If it is try opening flatgui/knob-help.pd do the knobs appear in the help file?
bnek
this is really fun to use, great work!
soot
This is awesome. I've worked with MAXMSP a bit, but have been meaning to get into Pd. This is excellent motivation and a great instrument.
sleepmcevox
This is so excellent, a level above any other PD stuff I've seen. I also really like your other one, Ecosystem. For anyone looking for other interesting patches, this is a good place to look (and submit your own): http://pdpatchrepo.info/patches
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2