MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla 201e-2
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Buchla 201e-2
MrTea
I know this is kinda an offshoot from the 'Smallest Buchla' thread, but I noticed Buchla do a 2 panel powered box which is very reasonably priced.

With not wanting to, or having the money to afford to go full on Buchla - the idea of building a small yet interesting two panel system is quite appealing.

Is it possible to create such a thing with only two panels? Which combinations would best and what functionality would they provide?
wyrtti
Someone here, in another thread, mentioned that Ezra Buchla sometimes gigs with just a 261e and 291e. Would seem a potent combination.

You would have many oscs with lots of timbres and then the sequencing capabiity of the 291e. Not to mentione the filtering.

I have been thinking about this. Alot. smile
MrTea
It's not a totally unrealistic amount of cash to save up either. If I laid off the Euro for a while anyway hihi

Oh god.
MrTea
Would love to hear how these two sound together.
wyrtti
Or maybe 2 291e's. They both have the sequencing and morphing and can be used as oscs. huh?
wyrtti
Btw. Just before you posted this thread, I saw a picture of someone's setup which amongst all the other modular stuff had a 2 panel boat with 2 modules in it, just sort of lying around.

And now, I just cannot find that picture. I think it was on Muff's, because I don't think I've surfed anywhere else today. But I cannot find the pic or remember whose it was.

Or maybe it was a dream I had while napping?

Can anyone confess to having such a system...ie. modulars and other stuff and a 2 panel boat of Buchla?

seriously, i just don't get it
Oxix52
Another option would be a 261e or 259e combined with a 281e. This would give you lots of modulation possibilities and be a bit cheaper. The 281e is $800 compared to the 291e at $1450. I find myself using the 261e without the 291e a lot. I only have 5 modules right now, but I tend to use the 261e and 281e together mostly. You can get some really cool rhythmic things happening with that combo. I usually patch in the 291e later rather than starting out with it, if I use it at all. I do use the 292e a lot in low pass mode to take some of the edge off of the 261e sometimes when I am looking for a smooth sound. It has a really nice texture to its sound. You just have to play with it and get to know it.

This mp3 is something I quickly patched together. It is the 281e modulating the symmetry, the mod osc waveshape, and the mod osc frequency. The audio from the principle osc and the mod osc are mixed with the 206e, but you can use any mixer for this. I also tweaked a few knobs as it goes

I'll try to do something with just the 261e and 291e later.
wyrtti
Wow, great demo Oxix52! That combo does seem to work nicely and it's a bit less expensive way to get started!

As an aside, your first 2 demoes when you received your system were really eye-opening for me. Just with those 5 modules you made some very nice music. I had not realized so much could be done with so few modules.
Oxix52
Thanks! I'm glad you liked my demos. I was also very pleasantly surprised by how much can be done with so few modules. I can't wait to expand my system. I already have a ZOe and a Pendulum/Ratchet on order.
xpander
i'd stick with the 261 & 291 if i wanted the smallest 200e system.
MrTea
wyrtti wrote:
Wow, great demo Oxix52! That combo does seem to work nicely and it's a bit less expensive way to get started!

+1

really awesome sounds in that demo. Those are exactly the kinda sounds I love.

The only main drawback I can see with that combo is a lack of filtering.
Oxix52
Actually, I don't think filtering is as necessary in a Buchla as in other systems. The 291e is a fantasic module, but I don't think it is a must have module in a small system. Don't get me wrong, I love my 291e and it does amazing things, but the 261e is such a capable oscillator that you don't have to have further processing to create a wide range of sounds. Of course the 291e is more than just a filter and I am only commenting on it's use as a filter.
prscrptn
A 4-space powered boat with a 225e, 261e/259e, 281e, 291e, & 292e is a good small system... thumbs up
Oxix52
Unless you need to rack your system, a 6-space powered boat is better because it is only $50 more than a 4-space.
cbm
prscrptn wrote:
A 4-space powered boat with a 225e, 261e/259e, 281e, 291e, & 292e is a good small system...

So... which module are you going to leave out?
prscrptn
cbm wrote:
prscrptn wrote:
A 4-space powered boat with a 225e, 261e/259e, 281e, 291e, & 292e is a good small system...

It would be a choice between the 259e/261e...
bwhittington
prscrptn wrote:
cbm wrote:
prscrptn wrote:

How many fingerz is I holdin up? Dinner at the Y

Don't worry, my addition skills started going downhill after third grade, too.

Cheers,
Brian
cbm
prscrptn wrote:

Still five modules.
prscrptn
cbm wrote:
prscrptn wrote:

Still five modules.

d'oh! Omit the 225e or 291e...
knobs.
Oxix52 wrote:
Unless you need to rack your system, a 6-space powered boat is better because it is only $50 more than a 4-space.

indeed!
MrTea
Oxix52 wrote:
Actually, I don't think filtering is as necessary in a Buchla as in other systems. The 291e is a fantasic module, but I don't think it is a must have module in a small system. Don't get me wrong, I love my 291e and it does amazing things, but the 261e is such a capable oscillator that you don't have to have further processing to create a wide range of sounds. Of course the 291e is more than just a filter and I am only commenting on it's use as a filter.

Is it possbile to route the sequencing/morphing aspect of the 291e out to other modules?
Oxix52
MrTea wrote:
Oxix52 wrote:

Is it possbile to route the sequencing/morphing aspect of the 291e out to other modules?

I'm afraid not. There are no CV or pulse outs on the 291e. It's audio out only.
Oxix52
Ok, here is the 261e running through the 291e. The principal osc output is running in to the 291e input A. The sine out of the principal osc is running in the the 291e "all" mod input. Some of the stages here and there have a bit of FM dialed in. I am using the mod osc on lo range to modulate the symmetry(patched) and the timbre(internal). At first, the 291e sequencer is stopped. The T value for all stages is .10 Then I hit stop/play. A bit after it starts, I patch in the symmetry modulation. Then, I dial in a bit of timbre modulation. From there, I play with the mod osc frequency knob a bit. Then I stop the sequencer and while continuing to change the mod osc feq by hand, I cycle one by one through the 8 291e stages. At the very end I change the shape of the mod osc from the sine wave to the square wave.

I hope this helps someone decide if this would be a good setup for them or not.

-Barry
J3RK
Oxix52 wrote:
Ok, here is the 261e running through the 291e. The principal osc output is running in to the 291e input A. The sine out of the principal osc is running in the the 291e "all" mod input. Some of the stages here and there have a bit of FM dialed in. I am using the mod osc on lo range to modulate the symmetry(patched) and the timbre(internal). At first, the 291e sequencer is stopped. The T value for all stages is .10 Then I hit stop/play. A bit after it starts, I patch in the symmetry modulation. Then, I dial in a bit of timbre modulation. From there, I play with the mod osc frequency knob a bit. Then I stop the sequencer and while continuing to change the mod osc feq by hand, I cycle one by one through the 8 291e stages. At the very end I change the shape of the mod osc from the sine wave to the square wave.

I hope this helps someone decide if this would be a good setup for them or not.

-Barry

That is a nice sound!
bwhittington
What do you guys think of 261e/259e, 255, 292e, Pendulum/Ratchet as hypothetical alternative for a 4-space system? Seems like eight slopes would be pretty fancy paired with the P/R.

Cheers,
Brian
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2