MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Grateful Dead anyone?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Grateful Dead anyone?
Heathfinnie
I know they can be a polarizing band, but am I one of the few that really like the dead? i have a part of me that really likes the dead and can appreciate them for what they are. Another part of me loves Autechre so...
Seven Experiments
I had tons of friends who who huge fans of the dead, so I have heard plenty of their music. I can appreciate them, for they were a live band, and that is what they did. They rocked out live. They didn't worry about sales and all the shit most bands do. They just did what they do.

I have bootlegs and i listen to them know and then. They weren't perfect. And that is great! If they were perfect they probably would of sucked.
tojpeters
I was on tour for years.
scozbor
I've got the 'egyptian beetle' shoirt and love it. But would be surprised if I've heard more than 3 songs of theirs in my life smile
Haterade
Everything up through '72 = totally solid.
scottmoon
Haterade wrote:
Everything up through '72 = totally solid.

thumbs up
adam
so is this farewell concert being broadcast in cinemas worldwide today then?
Suburban Bather
Not psychedelic to me at all. Too country sounding, bore me to tears. I like their shirts and posters though.
razzmtazz266
no one is gonna claim garcia with ornette over a synth loop

I will

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwQvcMQsOfU
Truckfumes
Yes I'll have one please.....thank you.
ngarjuna
I have a very large box of tapes somewhere…but no, you're not alone! If this anniversary cash grab had gotten a little closer to my current tropical location I probably would have gone just for the sake of nostalgia.
necrobious
I was on tour for a short time, but I was definitely late to the game. I still like the band, but don't think I could catch a show again; some memories are sweeter, when left in my/the past.
Sinamsis
One of the doctors I did my fellowship with is a huge fan. He was at all 3 days in Chicago. Every OR day there's a minimum of 5-10 Dead songs. I've always liked them, by no means a Dead head, but appreciated their work. I've now gotten pretty sick of them.
VDU
The shows being broadcast live tonight to a whole bunch of UK cinemas, odeon and cineworld have it so if you got one of them near you chances are it's on at 18:30 BST
PhineasFreak
oh noes - if only i'd known about this earlier - i would have loved to go to a cinema showing this!
IR
I like them, don't listen to them that often or own a lot of tapes, but I enjoy them once in a while.
plord
Huge, obsessive fan. Still miss the big guy. Didn't go to the FTW shows because I was pretty sure I couldn't handle it...not really a stadium guy anymore.

Mystified by the "not psychedelic" comment. The best of their improv is twisted as fuck, more so early on but in later years as well (Cal Expo '93 Playin' represent). and Hunter's lyrics, with all the interleaved metaphors and symbolism, pull me deep into contemplation of life and death. If your psychedelics don't bring you face to face with your own mortality, and offer you a narrative or two to evaluate in repsonse...switch drugs, or take more.
haricots
I have a bunch of friends who went to the Chicago shows. I've seen them about 12 times live and enjoyed their music over the years. They were definitely a big part of my teenage years/20's.
crawling wind
Saw them a LOT during 1970 - 1976. Lost interest for various reasons. I listened to a stream last night and hung out in the GD Redditt room. I only caught the last set as it didn't occur to me that it was probably being streamed for free *somewhere*. The chat during the set was really friendly and fun.

I really enjoyed the show. That guy from Phish (have never really gotten Phish) was great - much respect from me. I usually get bored by the Jerry clone players, but thought he was fantastic.

I was glad to feel part of it from the comforts of my home.
cretaceousear
So deadheads, I had friends who were massively into them but I've barely heard anything .. can you recommend one or two tunes, or an album, I should have on my IPod ?
The least country and the more far out the better.
adam
terrapin station is not too countryish

ngarjuna
cretaceousear wrote:
So deadheads, I had friends who were massively into them but I've barely heard anything .. can you recommend one or two tunes, or an album, I should have on my IPod ?

The country influence is everywhere so if you just don't like that you probably won't be in love with the Dead. But that said I recommend "One From The Vault" which was the release party for the Blues for Allah album, excellent set overall and sort of an evolution beyond the pure blues/country/rock of the earlier days. For that matter "Two From The Vault" has the best Dark Star I've ever heard though, being a Pigpen era show, it's considerably more country influenced than some of the later eras.
Patricia Party Popper
Rockin' Banana!
plord
cretaceousear wrote:

Avoid the albums material and grab live sets. Live/Dead starts with a 20+ minute Dark Star, all improvised around a 2 chord vamp and the skeleton of a melody. Then it segues into a 4/4 rocker, smoothly modulates into an 11/8 "make the hippies fall down" tune, into a blues rave up. It is from 1969, filled with young man energy and raw rock tonality, but for all that sections of the DS jam are remarkably delicate. It is my first recommendation every time; every Dark Star is incredibly different-- that's the whole point of the song-- but this one still sits at or very near the top of my personal ranking.

Beyond that, one my of favorite shows for deep weirdness is 10/25/1973 Madison Wisconsin. You can stream soundboards of the second set of this show at the live music archive. https://archive.org/details/gd1973-10-25.set2.sbd.cribbs.188.sbeok.shn f for one example. Skip the Me & My Uncle.
Truckfumes
cretaceousear wrote:

Your comments rock Cretaceousear!! nanners
I can't explain it really....but that just might be the crux of the Dead.

Their country was Far Out!
That's what made the Grateful Dead so Faaaar Out.

My suggestion is for you to get "Workingman's Dead". This is like an anti-matter reply to your request. Workingman's is solid 'country".

Get that and see if you can't discern the "far out" in there. It's in there!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5