MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Frac Oscillators
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Frac Oscillators
Roycie Roller
With all of the oscillators in Eurorack now, i'm wondering why there haven't been more pop up in Frac format?
There's the Blacet Oscillator & Mini-Wave & their Wiard counterparts, Cyndustries frac Zeroscillator, Metalbox cgs (?) & STG Mankato filter as sine oscillator- all of which are brilliant i am sure of it! Then there's DIY frac too. OK, it's a lot, & i'd be happy with any of the above examples. However i still can't help thinking if we might see some new, and different, frac oscillators.
Have i missed anything? I was just wondering if anything might be on the horizon...
dubchild
Paul has been working on his MOTM 2.0 frac Oscillator module for a while and I think he said they should be out soon...
thermionicjunky
When the Future Sound Systems oscillator is ready, it will be available in Frac.
Muff Wiggler
yeah, there's not a lot...

- Blacet VCO
- Metalbox/CGS Bi-N-Tic
- Cyndustries Zerosc
- Most VCF's as a Sine VCO

As mentioned the MiniWave, but I don't really count it as you cannot get it to track unless you already have a VCO to drive it. So it counts for about half I guess hihi

And I guess that's it. There's a CGS VCO that one could build up, and I betcha krisp14u would build up an Oakley one in frac format if anyone wanted it.

There's the SN-Voice PCB, that can be setup for frac and has v/Oct and two (I believe) waveforms.

Haven't looked but there's probably a MFOS one that someone could build. And PAiA of course.

A lot of dotcom modules have PCB's small enough to mount behind a frac panel, and they all run off of +/-15v, so if the VCO had a small enough board one could modify this for frac. Same with MOTM, but I think most of their PCBs are too big.

I think those are the options...
Roycie Roller
Any of those would be great...I forgot about the FSS oscillator- that could throw a cat among the pigeons for sure! And, i forgot that one can run Modcan's oscillators off a frac supply. All of a sudden, it's a big range...I think i was just AFG brainwashed & imagining a frac oscillator with tons of dials...
It does already exist, i guess, as the Wiard VCO. How do users find the Wiard oscillator?
Kwote
Roycie Roller wrote:
How do users find the Wiard oscillator?

It's a Classic VCO smile
plord
The Wiard osc is brilliant. There are FOUR frequency inputs, v/Oct, unattenuated expo FM, expo FM with atten, lin FM with atten, plus a variable soft/hard sync. The soft sync will grab individual harmonics with a careful touch. The sine is very clean and sounds great when abused. The PWM is tweaked so it won't go to complete silence; this is different than the Blacet osc and I use them for different things. The net result is that you can throw six (maybe more) different kinds of modulation at the Wiard osc. It responds very well to extreme modulation.

Plus you get all the Wiard extras, a S+H out based on the buchla SOU, an AR envelope, and a VCA. The env is normalled to the VCA and PWM, but you can of course access any of the sub-functions independently.

Every time I try to sit down and get simple waveform demos, it gets way out of hand. I'll try again this week smile
krisp14u
Muff Wiggler wrote:
and I betcha krisp14u would build up an Oakley one in frac format if anyone wanted it.

Funny you should say that just off the production line and will be on its way to its new owner in the next day or so

Kwote
nice one Krisp!

any plans on sound samples?
Muff Wiggler
wow Paul, very nice indeed!!

Do you mind if I make a blog post about that? May give you some more traffic/business as well if you want it....

cheers
futuresoundsystems
Roycie Roller wrote:
I forgot about the FSS oscillator- that could throw a cat among the pigeons for sure!

Even though it'll pitch track to 1V/Oct like a blind horse trying to follow something... I dunno. lol It's definitely meant more for sequencer use if you want to go down the melodic route. If you want it for all out glitch noise stuff, you're in for a treat I can tell you. Those complaining about whether the AFG pitch tracks or not should stay WELL clear from this territory.
Yeah, it needs more R&D really. I keep getting strange bugs with each build I do (really not right or good obviously) so I might have to rethink the electronics behind it at some point. In fact... I think I've just thought of something hihi
Roycie Roller
futuresoundsystems wrote:

Even though it'll pitch track to 1V/Oct like a blind horse trying to follow something... If you want it for all out glitch noise stuff, you're in for a treat I can tell you.

Sounds great! Looking forward to it..
Frac Force Five
krisp14u wrote:
Muff Wiggler wrote:
and I betcha krisp14u would build up an Oakley one in frac format if anyone wanted it.

Funny you should say that just off the production line and will be on its way to its new owner in the next day or so

That would be me. The module to the left is my new Sample/Slew, and next Paul is going to build me a nifty Dual ADSR/VCA.

Looks great Paul!
krisp14u
Frac Force Five wrote:

That would be me. The module to the left is my new Sample/Slew, and next Paul is going to build me a nifty Dual ADSR/VCA.

Looks great Paul!

Cheers David and welcome
Your modules will be in the post in the morning 8)

Muff Wiggler wrote:
wow Paul, very nice indeed!!

Do you mind if I make a blog post about that? May give you some more traffic/business as well if you want it....

cheers

cheers Muff
feel free to post on your blog Muff I can always use some more customers
although this was the hardest Oakley module to wire up I have done so far but sounds just as sweet as his big brothers

Even though it'll pitch track to 1V/Oct like a blind horse trying to follow something... I dunno. lol It's definitely meant more for sequencer use if you want to go down the melodic route. If you want it for all out glitch noise stuff, you're in for a treat I can tell you. Those complaining about whether the AFG pitch tracks or not should stay WELL clear from this territory.

sounds like a 3 X LM566 VCO I have on the bread board sounds fantastic but don't track for S#;t

Yeah, it needs more R&D really. I keep getting strange bugs with each build I do (really not right or good obviously) so I might have to rethink the electronics behind it at some point. In fact... I think I've just thought of something hihi

you have less than 11 months left and I want to have half a day playing with your inventions
consumed
awesome! the oakley VCO truly rocks. i have been dreaming of building one or two of them myself.

krisp14u wrote:

futuresoundsystems
krisp14u wrote:

sounds like a 3 X LM566 VCO I have on the bread board sounds fantastic but don't track for S#;t

you have less than 11 months left and I want to have half a day playing with your inventions

Haha that 566 VCO sounds crazy - three of them sounds very nice indeed.

I definitely owe you a day of modular patching at some point. I'll definitely have at least one 16U cabinet at the meeting next year, perhaps a second.

I have a Journeyman coming soon (well... within the next few months). That'll sound pretty wack next to two Formant VCOs.
Moog$FooL$
thought i'd add a little minor update here: just got an email from Paul S regarding my long overdue kits where i also asked him about his frac line & how & when it was expanding???

he replied: There will be a MOTM VCO in Frac around Thanksgiving smile

Actually, 2 of them, an all-analog and a digital one that has *8* VCOs in it.

wacky that!!! confused a digi one with 8 VCO's???
parasitk
Moog$FooL$ wrote:
and a digital one that has *8* VCOs in it.

Sounds ADDictive! (see what i did there? woo!) w00t
Cat-A-Tonic
Cloud Generator perhaps???!!!! eek! eek! eek! hyper hyper
Babaluma
i'll definitely have an motm vco when it's ready. my system has three blacet vcos, and while i love them, it would be even more amazing to have three different kinds of vcos instead. there's no spare room in my system, which means any replacement has to be a standard frac width (like the blacets). if the motm one becomes available then i'll only need one more!
parasitk
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Cloud Generator perhaps???!!!! eek! eek! eek! hyper hyper

That would be pretty fantastic, and the site (not that this necessarily means anything) does say it'll be out in MOTM format in the Oct/Nov 2008 area...

This is the MOTM module I've been looking forward to, and if he did one in Frac (even with 1/2 the oscillators as the MOTM size) I'd be pretty freaking happy!
Kwote
cool. i'll be building three CGS VCO's eventually to go with my 3 Blacet VCO's. hopefully 2 Wiard Classic VCO's and a Waveform City. I'm definately interested in the MOTM frac VCO. i've been wanting to try their stuff but they haven't offered anything in frac that interests me thus far.

hopefully he'll still come through with the frac midi/cv module.
eyehue
8 digital VCOs sounds hoTT!!!

Kwote wrote:
I'm definately interested in the MOTM frac VCO. i've been wanting to try their stuff but they haven't offered anything in frac that interests me thus far.

i really like my MOTM ladder VCF. the Moog VCF is really THE classic VCF sound most people recognize. very pleasing to my ears at least.
Kwote
eyehue wrote:
8 digital VCOs sounds hoTT!!!

Kwote wrote:
I'm definately interested in the MOTM frac VCO. i've been wanting to try their stuff but they haven't offered anything in frac that interests me thus far.

i really like my MOTM ladder VCF. the Moog VCF is really THE classic VCF sound most people recognize. very pleasing to my ears at least.

i think if i had money to burn i would try their whole existing frac lineup but so far it doesn't beckon me like the blacet/cgs/wiard stuff does.
synthetic
Paul is building all of the new stuff to fit in all formats, so it wouldn't surprise me if the Frac version quickly followed the MOTM format.

Hopefully he'll have a Euro version as well since Frac is on its way out. [ducks]
synthetic
Cloud Generator info:

http://www.synthtech.com/new_stuff.html

Demos:
http://www.synthtech.com/m520/better_sin.mp3
http://www.synthtech.com/m520/better_saw.mp3
http://www.synthtech.com/m520/better_tri.mp3
http://www.synthtech.com/m520/better_sqr.mp3
http://www.synthtech.com/m520/thru_zero.mp3
http://www.synthtech.com/m520/sq_sin_mix1.mp3
http://www.synthtech.com/m520/sq_sin_mix2.mp3

Of course with most MOTM stuff, "Thanksgiving 2008" means "Maybe March 2009"
Moog$FooL$
"Hopefully he'll have a Euro version as well since Frac is on its way out. [ducks]"

ouch!
angry
tragedybysyntax
lol... you think frac is on its way out seriously?
parasitk
Perhaps he meant "Since the Frac version is on its way out to happy Frac users everywhere"? That's how I read it, anyway.
parasitk
Moog$FooL$ wrote:
Actually, 2 of them, an all-analog and a digital one that has *8* VCOs in it.

This seems to be related: http://modularsynth.net/viewtopic.php?p=12578#12578

No massive revelations, but still....
synthetic
There seem to be more Euro modules than Frac coming out lately. Of course, even if no more Frac modules were released you would have plenty to keep you busy for a lifetime.

Re Cloud Generator, I'm not 100% sold yet. The original chip he chose couldn't do sawtooth, so that was left off the original spec. Then he figured out he could do it with another chip so now the saw out will be a second expansion module. If the CG itself did saw (Supersaw) then it would be cool. I don't know if I need Supersine and Supersquare. And I don't want Supersaw enough to buy the CG and CGX. If you search for reports from the Analogue Heaven Bay Area gathering from last year, there are some videos of the CG in action.

I'm more excited about the quad quantizer that's on the way. He says that once all of the kits are out of the way he'll ramp up R&D. He's fallen way short of "Module of the Month" lately...

BTW, there's a thread on AH today asking about power requirements and FM voltages for the two Frac versions, so perhaps they're not as far along as I thought. Seems that the Cloud Generator may require 120ma of power and he's asking it that's too much.

The nice thing about this "Audioengine" series of modules is that future modules will be "just software" with a few hardware changes. I'm looking forward to see what crazy digital modules he comes out with. There's a digital noise on the way, for example.
parasitk
I'm not into the "supersaw" sound really, and a bank of sines that can do additive type stuff is far more interesting to me! hyper
synthetic
They don't do additive, the spread is from a fixed center frequency. So you get x, x+1, x-1, x+2, x-2, x+3, x-3, etc. You can control how wide the spread is and change the phase relationship between them.

So the CG has Supersine and Supersquare, where the CG expansion adds Supersaw and Supertriangle.
parasitk
I realize that, but honestly it's close enough for me.
J.w.M.
Quick question about the Music From Outer Space VCO kit:
http://musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/VCO200604REV01/VCO200604REV 01.html

I'm looking at building one just for kicks, and am kind of confused about the panel layout ( http://musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/VCO200604REV01/vcopanelover lay.gif )... It looks like it's got four 1v/oct CV inputs-- is each of those inputs set up to control a different wave (e.g., one for the sin, one for the tri, etc.)? I can't really tell based on the example panel.
Any help/thoughts would be good... If not, I'll just get in touch with MFOS directly.
Cheers![/url]
johnnymad
no. they're not for each individual wave. just 3 v/oct and 1 lin.
J.w.M.
Okay-- thanks for the info!
Now... (n00b question alert) why would you need three separate 1v/oct inputs?
plord
J.w.M. wrote:

One for note data.
One for pitched vibrato.
One for Exponential FM.
Voila!
Kwote
plord wrote:
J.w.M. wrote:

One for note data.
One for pitched vibrato.
One for Exponential FM.
Voila!

or to put it another way.. total sound fuckery!! hyper
J.w.M.
haha! That's what I like! Thanks, guys.
thermionicjunky
J.w.M. wrote:

Or, one could use more than one for pitch data. Keyboard + sequencer = transposed sequences.
BugBrand
One thing I'd recommend for extra control is to have attenuators on several of the CV inputs -- that's always been my approach, at least -- though many companies seem to presume you'll attenuate CVs elsewhere.

[My thoughts, generally -- present all things at full voltage and then attenuate at inputs.]

Hey, also, for VCO inputs -- try adding a 220n cap + switch on the input for switchable AC/DC coupling (this is meant to be especially useful for Linear CV input).
ie -- input socket to 220n cap to top of pot. middle of pot to CV input, low of pot to ground. Then add a switch 'on-top-of' the cap so when it is closed it bypasses / shorts-out the cap (that'd give DC coupling compared with AC when open)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 2