MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mutant HiHats DIY Oops...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Hexinverter Electronique  
Author Mutant HiHats DIY Oops...
toneburst
So, if (and I admit this is very unlikely) some fool were to accidentally assemble a Mutant HiHats DIY module with the Middle and top boards the wrong way round (ie rotated 180 deg.) then plug it in, what components might have been killed?

Ok; it was me.

So, when I plugged it in, both LEDs lit. After a moment, there was a crackle, and a tiny curl of white smoke. I quickly turned off the power, but of course the damage was already done, by then.

I reassembled the module the right way, and plugged it in again. Now, the Open Hat seemed to still work, and all controls seemed to work except Decay (which wasn't working before, so apparently still broken). However, the Closed Hat LED didn't light when a trigger was fed to the input, and all I could hear from the output was the metallic noise coming through quietly, unaffected by any of the controls.

From this I conclude that the noise source and filter are still working, but something has gone badly wrong with some component(s) associated with the Closed Hat

Is it likely to be one of the ICs that's bitten the dust? If so, which one should I replace? I can't see any obvious signs of damage anywhere. Could other components have also been damaged?

I'm afraid I don't have any testing tools beyond a basic multi-meter, and I'm not good enough at analysing circuits to be able to tell which components are associated specifically with the Closed Hat, so any advice on this would be very much appreciated...

Cheers,

a|x
toneburst
Bump.
Anyone any ideas?

I think I'll order replacements for all the ICs, and see where that gets me. I've had a good look around all three boards, and there's no additional visible signs of damage to any of the components, beyond that caused by my messy soldering (and in a couple of cases, botched desoldering), which was there before. Something definitely failed though- I definitely saw and smelt smoke.

a|x
toneburst
I've replaced all the ICs except the CD40106 (presumed working, since the metallic noise for the Open Hat still works).

Now, as before, the Open Hat works, but with no control over decay time (as before I made this stupid mistake- see my earlier thread). The Closed Hat outputs just a quiet noise, none of the controls have any effect, Trigger does nothing, and the LED doesn't light.

I'm stuck, now. I have no idea which components to replace next, and no means to test anything in place.

I've had another look at all three boards, and there's no visible evidence of damage to any components.

I know I made a really stupid mistake, but It would be really nice if someone who knows a bit more about how this circuit works could suggest what my next move should be.

I'd really like to get this project out of the way, so I can move on to other stuff.

Thanks very much in advance,

a|x
toneburst
Bump.
Anyone?

a|x
toneburst
Bump.
toneburst
Gave up and bought a replacement PCB set.

a|x
puzo
oh dear! i still have the same issue!!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Hexinverter Electronique  
Page 1 of 1